• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MegaUpload Founder Could Get His Property Returned

zootac

MegaUpload Founder Could Get His Property Returned.

theres a good video with .com in a press news report for the first time seen on net,
Affter his jail time.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/252080/megaupload_founder_could_get_his_property_returned.html

MegaUpload.com isn't going back online anytime soon, but the founder of the file-sharing site that was shuttered in January may get his computers, documents, and trove of vehicles back.

New Zealand authorities have admitted to making a procedural mistake before seizing Kim Dotcom's possessions. Now, officials may have to return them.

While the mess gets sorted out, the outspoken Dotcom isn't keeping quiet. In a television interview recorded at his mansion where he is on house arrest, a calm and well-spoken Dotcom insists he and his site are protected from liability for the actions of their users.

"We have been sued only once, never by any, you know, movie company or big content company and we have spent millions of dollars on legal advice over the last few years and our legal advisors have always told us that we are secure," he says on the video.

Dotcom also talks of the genesis of MegaUpload, the viral growth of the company, his wealth, and the mechanism that allowed content providers to remove from the site copyright-infringing links. He said, in fact, that members of the Motion Picture Association of America have removed over 15 million such links.

Kim Dotcom
He also makes the point PCWorld raised several weeks ago: Piracy would be less of a problem if Hollywood had a better distribution model for its movies. The way it works today, movie trailers are promoted all over the world even though films are first released only in select countries.

"If the business model would be one where everyone has access to this content at the same time, you know, you wouldn’t have a piracy problem," Dotcom says. "So it’s really, in my opinion, the government of the United States protecting an outdated monopolist business model that doesn't work anymore in the age of the Internet and that’s what it all boils down to."

He adds, "I'm no piracy king. I offered online storage and bandwidth to users, and that's it."

After he was dramatically taken to jail in cuffs, authorities confiscated his computers, documents and about 20 vehicles.

Because of the procedural snafu, a judge will have to rule on whether Dotcom's property should be returned to him. To make that happen, Dotcom's attorneys will have to prove authorities demonstrated a lack of good faith.

Here's the video interview.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
"If the business model would be one where everyone has access to this content at the same time, you know, you wouldn’t have a piracy problem," Dotcom says. "So it’s really, in my opinion, the government of the United States protecting an outdated monopolist business model that doesn't work anymore in the age of the Internet and that’s what it all boils down to."
I agree with that. The music and game industries are booming because they adapted a 21st century business model. Only the film and broadcast industries are still stuck in the 20th century and instead of adapting, they do things like this (as well as try to pass laws like SOPA and PIPA around the world).

The fact the authorities raided his house without notice or warning proved "a lack of good faith."

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
Interesting, but why is this in the games section, and not the news?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Only the news staff can post in the news section. I'll move this to Science and Tech as that was where the laast Megaupload thread was at.

@Ford : Seems kind of pointless to have a raid on someone's house if you let them know in advance. lol

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
@Kreij

But it seems rather pointless to have a raid when the provider "offered online storage and bandwidth to users, and that's it.". He should get all his stuff back and to me it sounds as though to be a travesty of justice. "Actions first, thoughts later."

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@JR : You have to do something to justify all that money you spent on your SWAT teams. :laugh:

It sounds like they may have had probable cause to conduct the raid, but goofed up big time when they confiscated his poossessions. So, yes, he should get his stuff back.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Thanks, JR ... that's 1 minute and 31 seconds of my life I'll never get back. :laugh:

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Thanks, JR ... that's 1 minute and 31 seconds of my life I'll never get back. :laugh:

Glad you enjoyed it! ;) On another note, it could have all been avoided if someone actually read his T&C of the site. I know I myself have lost quite a bit of my LEGALLY owned cd's that I will never get back, tl;dr.