• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan Controller or fan plugs on MB

jman20nnsss

hi guys,i was wondering,should i get a six fan controller with 30W output for each fan or should i just stick to the fan plug on the motherboard cause im using an asus board and plug the fans into them because i heard from one of my friends that the fan plugs on motherboards dont give the full power for fans to blow at their full speed

Motherboards generally throttle fans to reduce noise.

If you want 100% fans, then alter settings in the BIOS/UEFI. Otherwise, there is no difference between a fan controller and the on-board fan controller.

jman20nnsss

Motherboards generally throttle fans to reduce noise.

If you want 100% fans, then alter settings in the BIOS/UEFI. Otherwise, there is no difference between a fan controller and the on-board fan controller.

well,asus has their fan Xpert program 2 so that should probably make the fans go full power right?

well,asus has their fan Xpert program 2 so that should probably make the fans go full power right?

OK, we're obviously not on the same page here.

Motherboards generally have either built in thermal sensors, or throttle fans to a given percentage of maximum speed constantly. The former option uses thermal readings, and an output curve to determine how fast fans spin. For example; 28C is 25% fans, 30C is 25%, 40C is 40%, 50C is 60%, 60C is 80%, 70C is 80%. This way, fan noise during non-intensive use can be minimized to decrease noise. The latter option throttles a fan speed to a percentage of maximum constantly, so there is a minimum of noise. The first option is more expensive, the second doesn't account for heating. They have their purposes.

The BIOS/UEFI is how a motherboard's fan controls are accessed. If there are thermal curves you can set them (higher percentages or a more graduated spin-up), and if there is a constant percentage you can set that. Asus offers a program to do this from inside windows, but it is the same as direct access.

So yes, you should be able to set the fans to run at 100% all of the time no matter how you control them. The only question is whether the motherboard socket will deliver sufficient power to more than a couple of fans, and that information is in the motherboard manual.

jman20nnsss

OK, we're obviously not on the same page here.

Motherboards generally have either built in thermal sensors, or throttle fans to a given percentage of maximum speed constantly. The former option uses thermal readings, and an output curve to determine how fast fans spin. For example; 28C is 25% fans, 30C is 25%, 40C is 40%, 50C is 60%, 60C is 80%, 70C is 80%. This way, fan noise during non-intensive use can be minimized to decrease noise. The latter option throttles a fan speed to a percentage of maximum constantly, so there is a minimum of noise. The first option is more expensive, the second doesn't account for heating. They have their purposes.

The BIOS/UEFI is how a motherboard's fan controls are accessed. If there are thermal curves you can set them (higher percentages or a more graduated spin-up), and if there is a constant percentage you can set that. Asus offers a program to do this from inside windows, but it is the same as direct access.

So yes, you should be able to set the fans to run at 100% all of the time no matter how you control them. The only question is whether the motherboard socket will deliver sufficient power to more than a couple of fans, and that information is in the motherboard manual.

Ohhhhhh kk thx!