• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In need of help diagnosing no boot AMD

Serg

Help diagnose no boot AMD **UPDATE**

Hello guys,

I've come to the forum because I was researching my problem and this forum has came up numerous times in the past and now. So I figured the hell with it, I should register and maybe one of you has a solution or some insight on my problem.

Specs:
970 ASRock Extreme 3
AMD FX 64 Quad 4.2
12Gb DDR3 Kingston RAM
Ati HD 4870
Seasonic SS-500 (500 Watt)
Win 7 Premium Pro (Extreme Edition)

Problem:

Well the specs you see above are my new rig. I upgraded from a stock Acer Aspire mobo and from a AMD Phenom X4 64 2.3. Reason for upgrade was because when I tried turning on my computer it was just stuck in a long BEEP, which means PSU fail, CPU fail or MEM fail or a system short somewhere. Well, I checked my PSU and frankly, it checked out fine. Reseated my RAM and cleaned out the whole case and still no go. I wasnt sure on how to check the CPU so I went ahead and just upgraded.

I ordered from newegg and upon receiving the package I quickly began to install. Everything went smooth, new mobo, new cpu, new mem, what could be better? After everything was set, I ran into a problem; My computer WILL power on, however, upon start I do not get a POST beep, my display is black and my USB ports are dead, although if I remove one of the USB connections, like keyboard or mouse, they will turn on but the computer will shut down. Does that mean that my power supply is not supplying enough power? Also, there are 4 red led lights on my Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, 1, 3 and 4th led stay on without going off. 1 means overheating, 3 means power connector #2 unplugged and 4 means GPU fail. Does this sound like my graphics card is failing and causing the CPU not to proceed into POST upon booting, or is it more of a power issue?

Kudos, mad respect and a grace to whoever knows of this and helps out,

Thank you!

Last edited:
System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Hello guys,

I've come to the forum because I was researching my problem and this forum has came up numerous times in the past and now. So I figured the hell with it, I should register and maybe one of you has a solution or some insight on my problem.

Specs:
970 ASRock Extreme 3
AMD FX 64 Quad 4.2
12Gb DDR3 Kingston RAM
Ati HD 4870
Seasonic SS-500 (500 Watt)
Win 7 Premium Pro (Extreme Edition)

Problem:

Well the specs you see above are my new rig. I upgraded from a stock Acer Aspire mobo and from a AMD Phenom X4 64 2.3. Reason for upgrade was because when I tried turning on my computer it was just stuck in a long BEEP, which means PSU fail, CPU fail or MEM fail or a system short somewhere. Well, I checked my PSU and frankly, it checked out fine. Reseated my RAM and cleaned out the whole case and still no go. I wasnt sure on how to check the CPU so I went ahead and just upgraded.

I ordered from newegg and upon receiving the package I quickly began to install. Everything went smooth, new mobo, new cpu, new mem, what could be better? After everything was set, I ran into a problem; My computer WILL power on, however, upon start I do not get a POST beep, my display is black and my USB ports are dead, although if I remove one of the USB connections, like keyboard or mouse, they will turn on but the computer will shut down. Does that mean that my power supply is not supplying enough power? Also, there are 4 red led lights on my Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, 1, 3 and 4th led stay on without going off. 1 means overheating, 3 means power connector #2 unplugged and 4 means GPU fail. Does this sound like my graphics card is failing and causing the CPU not to proceed into POST upon booting, or is it more of a power issue?

Kudos, mad respect and a grace to whoever knows of this and helps out,

Thank you!
which means PSU fail ,check your video card in a other computer,I`m certain the 4870 min specs to run are 550 watt,did you plug the pcie 6x6 or 6x8 power in,Also did you 4x cpu/vrm power plug or 8x?

Serg

Thanks for the quick reply H82,

This card worked absolutely fine with the current PSU, however the cards fan ball bearing started going out about 4 months back and making noise, although it wont cause it to fail.

I dont have another computer around except 3 dead ones I'm parting out. I have plugged in both 6x connectors as the 4870 does require 2 6x connectors. And the 8x pin connectors is the one plugged into my mobo.

The 4870 takes 2, 6x plugs, wont fit an 8.

Any clue?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thanks for the quick reply H82,

This card worked absolutely fine with the current PSU, however the cards fan ball bearing started going out about 4 months back and making noise, although it wont cause it to fail.

I dont have another computer around except 3 dead ones I'm parting out. I have plugged in both 6x connectors as the 4870 does require 2 6x connectors. And the 8x pin connectors is the one plugged into my mobo.

The 4870 takes 2, 6x plugs, wont fit an 8.

Any clue?

Reset the Motherboard CMOS/Bios/UEFI first
Run the machine at stock factory non overclocked settings, only adjusting the ram specs to match the speed on the ram itself and other settings that need to be enabled, NON OVERCLOCKED!
Replace the GPU Cooler, 2
Get a 650 Watt Powersupply at the Least, You overclocking that CPU as hard as you are is pretty stressful.

Serg

eidaraiman,

This rig has not even seen the light of a lan line yet. This is brand new machine that has not been started to the point of the screen coming on.

After installation, the tower will power on but nothing else will. No screen either.

Actually now the rig wont even power up!!! When I switch the PSU on, my laser mouse lights up, and when I try to start the PC, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I am completely stumped.

Not sure what resetting the CMOS will do at this point...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It will allow the machine to return to default operating parameters and allow it to possibly powerup.

2 chill out

3 Take the motherboard, PSU, Video card, Ram out of the case and bench run it (Sometimes shorting in the case causes boot failures) But that powersupply doesnt have the juice to run the machine

eidaraiman,

This rig has not even seen the light of a lan line yet. This is brand new machine that has not been started to the point of the screen coming on.

After installation, the tower will power on but nothing else will. No screen either.

Actually now the rig wont even power up!!! When I switch the PSU on, my laser mouse lights up, and when I try to start the PC, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I am completely stumped.

Not sure what resetting the CMOS will do at this point...

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Just read what I say and DO IT!

The cpu is brand new, its stock clock is 4.2Ghz. 4.3Ghz with turbo enabled, and stable OC'd to 4.7Ghz.

check what Bios/Uefi Version You have. And How do you know it was stable OC to 4.7GHz when the effin machine doesnt boot now!?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=970 Extreme3&o=BIOS

Powersupplies tend to wear out over time and if they are not strong enough they will fail after a few boots

Serg

It will allow the machine to return to default operating parameters and allow it to possibly powerup.

2 chill out

3 Take the motherboard, PSU, Video card, Ram out of the case and bench run it (Sometimes shorting in the case causes boot failures) But that powersupply doesnt have the juice to run the machine

Okay ill do all that and see what happens. But whats up with # 2? You saying chill out because you feel I disrespected you somewhere in the post or you saying that bcuz Im bout ready to start throwing parts out my window? Lol.

Bench run would mean run it single in another PC correct? Well, no other PC's round here that work.

But the mobo and cpu is brand spanking new, I understand they can come DOA, but only thing I can think of causing a NO POWERUP would be the PSU, or a faulty connection somewhere which I cant see any..

Hmm.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Bench Running means running the motherboard, PSU, Video card, Ram, CPU, HD, Optical Drive on a bench or surface that is not conductive to electricity

Okay ill do all that and see what happens. But whats up with # 2? You saying chill out because you feel I disrespected you somewhere in the post or you saying that bcuz Im bout ready to start throwing parts out my window? Lol.

Bench run would mean run it single in another PC correct? Well, no other PC's round here that work.

But the mobo and cpu is brand spanking new, I understand they can come DOA, but only thing I can think of causing a NO POWERUP would be the PSU, or a faulty connection somewhere which I cant see any..

Hmm.

Check your BIOS/UEFI version too if u manage to get it to Post/Splash Screen.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=970 Extreme3&o=BIOS

a Completely Dead Machine can be a powersupply or CPU being bad if it doesnt boot up but grounding can cause that too.

Serg

Okay I will do all of the things you advised.

However it is 1:40am and now is time for bed! :toast:

Hmm, grounding....you might of hit something there, the case is on the carpet with rear panel, front panel and side panel off. However the mobo is sitting on the case and so is everything else. Makes sense though. (wait a minute, my PSU is straight on the carpet) - problem there?

This seasonic PSU does have a 5 year warranty, do you know if I can send this one and possibly pay a bit more for a better PSU? Jw.

Thanks for the help brotha.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
ok in your situation the back side of the mother board is touching any part of the case other than standoffs yes it will ground out, same if a PCI bracket on a PCI/PCIe card touches both the case and motherboard at same time.

If You send that powersupply in to the Maker for RMA you will get the same exact powersupply model or equivalent back if the exact model you have became EOL.

YOu can always send it back to the etailer/retailer if its still under their returns warranty

Okay I will do all of the things you advised.

However it is 1:40am and now is time for bed! :toast:

Hmm, grounding....you might of hit something there, the case is on the carpet with rear panel, front panel and side panel off. However the mobo is sitting on the case and so is everything else. Makes sense though.

This seasonic PSU does have a 5 year warranty, do you know if I can send this one and possibly pay a bit more for a better PSU? Jw.

Thanks for the help brotha.

Serg

Okay bro, you were absolutely right, eventhough Im tired as hell and wanna sleep, but the beers just keep on coming and this rig has me pretty much tweaking on it haha.

You were right about grounding, I just benched everything and it now turns on, however we're back to step one now, same problem.

Wont go into POST, same lights on the GPU.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Buddy of mine has this same processor, he loves it and it OC's real well, hence why I bought it.

Not every CPU overclocks the same,

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Okay bro, you were absolutely right, eventhough Im tired as hell and wanna sleep, but the beers just keep on coming and this rig has me pretty much tweaking on it haha.

You were right about grounding, I just benched everything and it now turns on, however we're back to step one now, same problem.

Wont go into POST, same lights on the GPU.

What CPU cooler are you using

might be that powersupply if your overclocking the CPU,

Does the monitor power up?

make sure that video card is pushed in all the way and ensure all connectors are plugged into it and the motherboard.

Now im not sure but check the bios version. Also make sure the monitor is plugged in. If anything sleep on it and try again later after you sober up a bit.

Serg

What CPU cooler are you using

might be that powersupply if your overclocking the CPU,

Does the monitor power up?

make sure that video card is pushed in all the way and ensure all connectors are plugged into it and the motherboard.

Now im not sure but check the bios version. Also make sure the monitor is plugged in. If anything sleep on it and try again later after you sober up a bit.

Its the stock CPU cooler that came with it, its actually a good one, heatsink with fank and cooler pipes.

Well, like I said, the computer hasn't had a chance to be turned on to the point where I can overclock it, so technically its still in factory specs.

The monitor does NOT power up. The GPU is pushed in all the way, however the grounding issue is there. The way I have my MOBO mounted, it pushes the GPU bracket to the case and also touches the MOBO, so tomorrow I will redo the setup. All connectors are plugged in also. Monitor is plugged in, I'm so damn eager to fire this sucker up and play some DA2 and BF3 and CSS and all that...

Lol, I'm completely sober, I ate a huge dinner so these beers are like piss-water (modelo)

Anyway, once again bro, thanks for your help, I'll be back here later on today to let you know how everything turned out.

Serg

Not every CPU overclocks the same,

Correct, a guy on newegg has this OC'd to 4.9 with a second fan. Pretty impressive for a 120 dollar processor, 4.9 thats on par with the i5 for much less money.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Rule of Thumb If the CPU cooler came in a box with the CPU, aka factory Unit, do not overclock with it, run the chip at factory speed till you get one that can take the heat.

Its the stock CPU cooler that came with it, its actually a good one, heatsink with fank and cooler pipes.

Well, like I said, the computer hasn't had a chance to be turned on to the point where I can overclock it, so technically its still in factory specs.

The monitor does NOT power up. The GPU is pushed in all the way, however the grounding issue is there. The way I have my MOBO mounted, it pushes the GPU bracket to the case and also touches the MOBO, so tomorrow I will redo the setup. All connectors are plugged in also. Monitor is plugged in, I'm so damn eager to fire this sucker up and play some DA2 and BF3 and CSS and all that...

Lol, I'm completely sober, I ate a huge dinner so these beers are like piss-water (modelo)

Anyway, once again bro, thanks for your help, I'll be back here later on today to let you know how everything turned out.

Serg

Rule of Thumb If the CPU cooler came in a box with the CPU, aka factory Unit, do not overclock with it, run the chip at factory speed till you get one that can take the heat.

I absolutely agree, which is why I do not intend overclocking it, 4.3 is enough for what I need it to do at this point. However I need to upgrade my GPU, the 4870 doesn't OC too well and honestly it sucks now. Barely ran Witcher 2.

Next upgrade, after everything is fixed of course, would be a crossfire setup, this motherboard loves crossfire so heres another $700 leaving the pocket, not to even mention a new more powerful PSU, another 150. PC's are getting expensive man.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I absolutely agree, which is why I do not intend overclocking it, 4.3 is enough for what I need it to do at this point. However I need to upgrade my GPU, the 4870 doesn't OC too well and honestly it sucks now. Barely ran Witcher 2.

Next upgrade, after everything is fixed of course, would be a crossfire setup, this motherboard loves crossfire so heres another $700 leaving the pocket, not to even mention a new more powerful PSU, another 150. PC's are getting expensive man.

If I were You, Id Pick Up a 6870, 6950, 6970, or 7850, or 7870.

and a PSU with atleast 650 Watts on it.

But first lets see how this all works tomorrow.

Serg

If I were You, Id Pick Up a 6870, 6950, 6970, or 7850, or 7870.

and a PSU with atleast 650 Watts on it.

But first lets see how this all works tomorrow.

Honestly after reviewing the cards, I would much rather pay 220 for the 7850 rather than 350 for the 7870.

7850 2 gig 256, 1024 processors
7870 2 gig 256, 1280 processors.

Ill just OC the 7850.

But yes, lets see how all this turns out later today.

:rockout:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
reset cmos,
take out the graphics card
then run the computer.

i hope you didnt forget to attatch the power cable to the graphics card when you were running the 4870?

System Name mine
Processor 2600k@5.2ghz 1.41 vcore
Motherboard asrock z77 OC Formula
Cooling pa120.3, apogee HD, mcp655 pump
Memory 16gigs ddr3 1600mhz sammy's @ 1886
Video Card(s) evga gtx470 under water on a seperate loop
Storage Crucial M4 128gig SSD
Display(s) HP 2511x 25inch led
Case none ATM
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750watt seasonic x-1250watt(dead)
Software win 8 pro 64bit
that psu should have plenty of power for a single gpu setup. and its a seasonic, you cant buy better quality.

Serg

reset cmos,
take out the graphics card
then run the computer.

i hope you didnt forget to attatch the power cable to the graphics card when you were running the 4870?

As soon as I get home i'll reset the cmos and remove the card. I agree with the above post, seasonic has never done me bad and their rep is high. So im sure the psu has enough power. Wether its not putting out enough atm is another question. However my gpu ststill has the 3 leds on. So maybe its shot? Because my pc won't even POST. Im completely stumped.