• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fastest 2TB HDD For OS & Storage & Raid

baggpipes

System Name R2D2
Processor AMD FX-4100
Motherboard MSI 970 G45
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston T1 8GB 1600 DDR3 @ 1800mHz
Video Card(s) AMD Sapphire 6850
Storage RAID 0 WD Caviar Blue 1TB total
Display(s) Acer 19" widescreen and Sony 32" Bravia 1080p 60hz
Case NZXT Gamma Series
Power Supply 700w OCZ Mod Stream Pro
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores hit 4.5ghz stock cooler....
You know i get it with RAID 0 your twice as likely to have them fail. But how often does this happen? Not all your drives have to be raid RAID 0. Save a drive in your computer as a normal drive to store your pictures and stuff to save.

System Name CTG Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Asrock B650M PRO RS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE
Memory 2x 16gb G.SKILL F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6800XT Gaming OC
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) MAG274QRF-QD | Asus vg248qe
Case SAMA IM01
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterx G6
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
raid 0 + backup = no no

Raid 5 + backup = perfectly acceptible

raid 1 + backup = overly redundant imo I mean it's already a backup.

Raid 10 + backup = likely a waste of a drive depending on your speed requirements

Single drives are fine too, but don't give you the large single volume which is beneficial for backup. Though tbh may main backup is a 2tb single external, but my NAS is a raid 1 config.

RAID 1 is not a perfect 100% Backup.

1- if your OS get corrupt, because of a caching error that has been replicated on the 2nd drive, it's failling..

2- if your PSU blow, and take down the 2 HDD, it fails.

That is the reason why I have RAID 1 + external BU, I would just need my home to burn to loose everything (and I am about to get a fresh copy of DATA every month, and leaving it at my parent's home.)

So based on what I've seen, RAID 5 means you need an even number of drives 2,4,6,etc.. What if I have 3 2TB drives, an odd number of drives, does that I get 3TB of usable space? The only reason why I don't want to RAID 0 is because I'm afraid that if 1 drives fail, my files will be lost forever. But based on what I've read from your comment RAID 0 has never caused any problems for you. Hmm... And I'm working with a relatively small computer case which has 3 slots for HDD. Luckily I was able to mount my SSD (OS & some programs) on the bottom

RAID 5 = parity: 3x 2TB will result has 4TB, but formated will be 3,63TB.

But like any raid, it is not 100% safe ;) but raid 5 has a good redundancy, you need 2 HDD down to have the RAID down.

That would be wasting alot of space... Why everybody so scared of RAID 0 its not like his desktop is a server holding top secret info or something... RAID 1 just mirrors the drive... sounds like waste of space... and with raid 5 with two 2TB drives and two 1TB drives there is going to be alot of unusable space... 2TB of wasted space... the only thing that is important to him is the pictures and movies, which can be saved directly to the non raided HD.

EDIT: How many people here have actually had a hard drive fail without knowing its about to go?? I mean you would hear it failing wouldnt you?

no... My black 1Tb died like this, unable to resync, wouldn't pass Short test, like that, the day before it was working perfectly.. you can have Electrical problem in the drive, which can cause a failure very fast.

Saving important documents on a raid 0, you must have a backup..

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
My .02 to you happy, setup a matrix. 2 raid arrays with 3x 2TB drives. 1TB ea on a raid 0 and a raid 5. Setup important files to the raid 5 and your OS. Gives you a total effective 5TB of storage.

EDIT:

BUT only do it if you have a dedicated card or are planning on staying with your current board for a while. While you may lose the raid 0 if one drive fails, the raid 5 will provide parity to those files on it.

System Name FragBox
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 5.0GHz/1.45 volts
Motherboard Asus P8Z77 WS
Cooling Custom CPU loop
Memory Kingston 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 680/Zotac GTX 680 in SLi/EVGA GTX 650Ti
Storage 2 Vertex 3 120's, raid 0, 2 Seagate Momentus XT 500GB's in raid 0, 1 Hitatchi 2TB for backup
Display(s) 3 Acer S232HLX2 in nvidia surround
Case Corsair C70 White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64 Pro
a raid is not a backup... if you screw around and get a virus, corrupt update install, etc... it wont matter cause the issue would have been copied over to the other drive.

An external backup is much much safer.

I personally have two SSD's in a striped raid, and a pair of momentus xt's in a striped raid as well.
I back up to two different 1 TB F3's.

I back up weekly, that way if my system gets hosed, I only potentionally loose a weeks worth of data.

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
nothing wrong with RAID 0 just not meant for back up, its more about speed

you should be more concern about the right drives (ie: RE4 drives) if you really wanna do RAID

RAID fails mainly due to not right drives or controller

like other states, use another drive for back up (usb2/3 external hard drive to turn on/off as needed)

i have a server backing up everything and i have external back up as well, might be overkill for you

Last edited:
System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
a raid is not a backup... if you screw around and get a virus, corrupt update install, etc... it wont matter cause the issue would have been copied over to the other drive.

An external backup is much much safer.

I personally have two SSD's in a striped raid, and a pair of momentus xt's in a striped raid as well.
I back up to two different 1 TB F3's.

I back up weekly, that way if my system gets hosed, I only potentionally loose a weeks worth of data.

I always find it funny that people feel the need to post this.

raid is a hardware config, backup is a process.

anyone whose lookedup, heard of, or encountered either of the two, knows this.

1. a virus could wipe your backup regardless of raid, it's not a viable counter argument to raid.

2. data corruption again isn't a viable counter argument against raid because again, your backup with or without raid is corruptible. In both cases your refering to your backup as if it were a primary data storage system. That doesn't make any sense. If your primary data is virus'd or corrupted and you don't notice before your backup software/procedure starts, it won't matter what hardware you've configured for backup.

3. I already posted that I have an external backup, although I think the idea of having it off isn't a sound backup process, drives fail whether or not they are on and a connected and powered up drive will give you warnings and a chance to save your data before it fails, a drive powered-off does not. Believe me, I've done this in a full scale powered off backup system where my boss had to learn the hard way after losing 10 drives with no other backup for that data in a 500+ hotswap + cradle system. Sure low percentage, but lost data is lost data. And on a live active backup system we have had zero data loss.

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Motherboard ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3
Cooling CORSAIR CAFA50 (CPU)
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI
Storage HITACHI 160GB 7200RPM HDT721016SLA380 & 5 IDE 250GB WD HDD
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
My .02 to you happy, setup a matrix. 2 raid arrays with 3x 2TB drives. 1TB ea on a raid 0 and a raid 5. Setup important files to the raid 5 and your OS. Gives you a total effective 5TB of storage.

EDIT:

BUT only do it if you have a dedicated card or are planning on staying with your current board for a while. While you may lose the raid 0 if one drive fails, the raid 5 will provide parity to those files on it.

So your saying I could have two or more different types of array by using my mobo raid? I do not wish to buy a RAID card because after I plug in my 7950, there will be practially no more room for any other pci-e cards. That said, I currently have the following drives:
(x2) 2TB WD20EARX
(x1) 2TB Samusung F4
(x1) 120GB Patriot Pyro SE

So you noted that I could get a 5TB total of storage. I'm trying to find the most reliable and kind of safe way to just store my files and be able to get it back if anything happens. RAID 5 seems the best way? That means I would get a total of 3GB of usable space? Let's say one drive fails, do I simply take that failed drive out of my case and add it into the same sata connection and it will automatically write the 1s and 0s to that new drive? How do you know which drive fails or not? You were saying something about matrix. I can only fit 3 HDDs and one small SSD on the bottom of the tray so I think I won't be able to do matrix.
I'm new to RAIDing so sorry if my questions sound dumb.

Thanks

Processor R9 5950x
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
imo your missing the point, drives will fail no matter what best you could do is minimize it

WD black are great no doubt but they are not meant for RAID being lack of TLER, i know some have use them for raid w/o issues and they use it in RAID 0 for speed not reliabilty but if your main concern is about reliability why not buy HD meant for RAID

its like ppl using WD green as main OS Hd or use it for RAID and complaint later on thats its dying

EDit: RE4 basically a WD black but TLER enabled if your concern is about speed also thers RE4-GP which is WD green, again with TLER

Last edited:
System Name Home Theatre
Processor i5 750
Motherboard Gigabyte P55 USB3
Memory 4GB ADATA 1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire 1GB ATI 5670
Storage 32gb Kingston SSD (Os)/ 1TB and 640GB Caviar Blue (Storage)
Display(s) Sony KDL40HX800
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) HT Claro Plus
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Software Windows 7 64-bit
imo your missing the point, drives will fail no matter what best you could do is minimize it

WD black are great no doubt but they are not meant for RAID being lack of TLER, i know some have use them for raid w/o issues but if your main concern is about reliability why not buy HD meant for RAID

its like ppl using WD green as main OS Hd or use it for RAID and complaint later on thats its dying

EDit: RE4 basically a WD black but TLER enabled if your concern is about speed also thers RE4-GP which is WD green with TLER

Speed on the greens are probably not an issue.

Last edited:
Processor R9 5950x
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
Speed is not an issue. Probably 50- 70mbs read write would be sufficient enough. I'm using the 120 SSD as an OS & some programs, so the other 3 2TB drives will simply act as my storage drive. I understand that the Greens are not as good as the RE4s but I already have 2 of them and just bought a 2TB F4 so I'm stuck with these already.

what do you usually back up anyway? documents, pic, mp3, prons? if its something doesnt need to access 24/7 then better off having it on external drive

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
So your saying I could have two or more different types of array by using my mobo raid? I do not wish to buy a RAID card because after I plug in my 7950, there will be practially no more room for any other pci-e cards. That said, I currently have the following drives:
(x2) 2TB WD20EARX
(x1) 2TB Samusung F4
(x1) 120GB Patriot Pyro SE

So you noted that I could get a 5TB total of storage. I'm trying to find the most reliable and kind of safe way to just store my files and be able to get it back if anything happens. RAID 5 seems the best way? That means I would get a total of 3GB of usable space? Let's say one drive fails, do I simply take that failed drive out of my case and add it into the same sata connection and it will automatically write the 1s and 0s to that new drive? How do you know which drive fails or not? You were saying something about matrix. I can only fit 3 HDDs and one small SSD on the bottom of the tray so I think I won't be able to do matrix.
I'm new to RAIDing so sorry if my questions sound dumb.

Thanks

Replace the failed drive and criss your fingers the raid 5 will rebuid but you would have to manually rebuild the raid 0

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Motherboard ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3
Cooling CORSAIR CAFA50 (CPU)
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI
Storage HITACHI 160GB 7200RPM HDT721016SLA380 & 5 IDE 250GB WD HDD
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Replace the failed drive and criss your fingers the raid 5 will rebuid but you would have to manually rebuild the raid 0

So your saying that it is not certain that even if I replace the dead drive with a new one that it will for sure rebuild the RAID 5? I'm probaly not going to RAID 0 because I just need to backup photos and be able to retrieve them back if a drive dies. So a RAID 5 will automatically rebuild the data lost without having me to manually do anything except add it back to the same sata connection?

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Yup. Why I mentioned a dedicated card because not too sure if AMD south bridge is reliant on driver software to rebuild. Ive not had a raid array fail on me.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Serius bizness this raid must be. Twenty posts pointg out the obvious flaws and benefits, along with odeas that dont pertain at all.