• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Rapidly Moving to Become Direct Mobile Service Provider, Predicts Strategist

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Apple's next big move will be to provide wireless service directly to its iPad and iPhone customers, according to veteran wireless industry strategist Whitey Bluestein.

Bluestein told an international gathering of wireless operators, resellers and suppliers that Apple has all of the critical elements - the world's leading brand, distribution through 363 Apple Stores, digital content (music, video and apps)-which will allow it to exploit its 250 million iTunes accounts with credit cards on file.

He also noted that Apple has a patent-pending network architecture to enter the wireless industry as a service provider. Apple filed a patent application in October 2006, shortly before the first iPhone announcement, with a diagram on how it would offer wireless service directly to customers using networks of several mobile operators. The patent application was extended in fall 2011. Bluestein said that the patent confirms that Apple has thought through how it would offer service directly to customers.

At a presentation at the Informa MVNO Industry Summit in Barcelona, which he also chaired, Bluestein said:
  • Apple will in the near future begin providing cellular service, data, voice and roaming, directly to its customers
  • Apple will begin by offering mobile data plans bundled with iPads (vs. current practice of selling GSM iPads with AT&T data and CDMA iPads with Verizon data plans)
  • Apple will then offer iPhone customers activation, data and international roaming plans through the iTunes Store
  • Apple will provide voice, data and messaging plans directly to its iPhone customers, on an ala carte basis as an alternative to their current mobile operator and then as wireless service provider directly to customers
  • Google, while behind Apple in technology, distribution and back-office capabilities, will nevertheless follow in lock-step behind Apple and provide wireless data services directly to its Google Tablet customers
"The battleground is set, but Apple will be the first mover," said Bluestein. "Google will have to scramble because it lacks retail distribution, experience with subscriber services and the iTunes ecosystem of content. iTunes and the iTunes Store provide Apple with one-click buying and customer care. Google can acquire most of these capabilities, as it has before, but it is not a core competency of the company."

Bluestein also predicted that Google will acquire a back-office provider to help it get into the mobile business. He said that Google is accustomed to such acquisitions, having acquired 79 companies in 2011.

What has been holding Apple back from becoming a wireless provider already, according to Bluestein, are the enormous handset subsidies paid by mobile operators (AT&T, VZW and Sprint in the US), which amount to about $381 for each iPhone sold today. That has been a short-term stumbling block for Apple, but the company has its well-known cash reserves and could seize the initiative at any point.

Bluestein has been a prominent strategic advisor to the wireless/mobile industry for more than two decades. Prior to his current advisory practice, he spent much of his career at MCI Communications, then later at NorthPoint Communications and Visage Mobile. Since then he has built a strategic advisory practice helping young and established companies enter the mobile space or launch new mobile initiatives.

For additional details of Bluestein's briefing, please visit this page.

A presentation on the topic can be found here: Are Apple and Google About to Become MVNOs (PDF).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
All Hail the Holy Apple!

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Hell, the Amazon Kindle has been doing this for years through AT&T (most customers didn't even know that) ...and it's free.

They must be wrangling behind the scenes with a lot of wireless service providors to get the coverage and bandwith they need. Or simply buy one of them. Anti-trust suits will be all over them if they try that though.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Super interesting... I hope that it is true, and as any time new competition comes in customer wins. Especially if google AND apple go at it.

I am ready for cheap smart phones.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
It sounds nice to have more competition, however the real to benefit customers might be due to the locked down apple approach being forced to open up a bit to allow competition with their own devices. Honestly it is about time for another major player in cell services, they have stagnated everywhere except a few key locations and even those have issues.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Hell, the Amazon Kindle has been doing this for years through AT&T (most customers didn't even know that) ...and it's free.

They must be wrangling behind the scenes with a lot of wireless service providors to get the coverage and bandwith they need. Or simply buy one of them. Anti-trust suits will be all over them if they try that though.

THat's what I've been talking with a few people at work.. Amazon's been doing that. Yet unless you read the pages fully you don't see that they are.. Most customers feel that they're doing what Apple/Android does with their tablets if it has 3g...

It's going to be nice to see how it all comes down to it.. Pretty crazy numbers placed in the PDF, but if they can pull it off...

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit

Are you referring to the “Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wi-Fi” with free 3G access?

If so, yeah it was an interesting approach because one could access Amazon to buy books and download them. Free sample books as well. Browsing the web was also possible for free. However these older Kindle products were different types of devices then Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad). They were monochrome, sluggish and not much fun to use with respect to online content.

The newer Amazon Kindle products dropped free 3G support.

It would be interesting if Apple allowed / arranged for some sort of free 3G access on iOS devices but why would they? Perhaps for access to their Apps store, book store, iTunes and so on but likely restricted to just that for the purpose of facilitating the sale. Its doubtful they would allow browsing.

Its also not clear how they would allow access to any device other then those with SIM card / cellular antennas. There are a lot of iPod and iPads without cellular support.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
It sounds nice to have more competition, however the real to benefit customers might be due to the locked down apple approach being forced to open up a bit to allow competition with their own devices. Honestly it is about time for another major player in cell services, they have stagnated everywhere except a few key locations and even those have issues.

true. i would prefer a locked down approach for cell service by apple than any of the other wireless telecoms.

also note, apple has over 80 billion in cash. it has to spend that some time!

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
I expected them to do this years ago.
In the UK the iphone userbase is far larger than the virtual networks (Virgin and Tesco mobile being probably the largest)
I imagine this is the same in most other countries.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I suppose this response is because Apple recently got scrutinized by a UK regulator on their ipad '4G' claim

there is only a very very limited 4G service here in the UK, its so limited its vitually non existant but it exists.

So i guess by launching their own network they can forfill the 4G claims they are being slapped on the wrist for which im sure most apple users would lap up even if its slightly more expensive.

Problem lies with the UK's attitude towards technology. the UK is seen as one of the most developed countries in the world but a lot of the telecomms system dates back to pre-war years. throw in the constant network usage for broadband and telephone calls and the whole system becomes bogged down and no one ever sees their advertised speeds not to forget that we pay more for internet and get slower speeds compared to people across the pond.

If it aint broke - dont fix it.

Situations slowly improving though, we now have ISPs offering super fast fibre optic broadband but that still comes at a price.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Super interesting... I hope that it is true, and as any time new competition comes in customer wins. Especially if google AND apple go at it.

I am ready for cheap smart phones.

cheap is not in apples vocabulary.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
cheap is not in apples vocabulary.

exactly. they make very high quality products and charge a fair amount for them. all of the other manufacturers are forced to undercut apple prices just to compete. if it was not for apple you would be seeing sony,samsung,etc marking up their smart phone prices well above what apple charges today. :rockout:

D

Deleted member 67555

exactly. they make very high quality products and charge a fair amount for them. all of the other manufacturers are forced to undercut apple prices just to compete. if it was not for apple you would be seeing sony,samsung,etc marking up their smart phone prices well above what apple charges today. :rockout:

And some people can't see the benefits to slavery...:rolleyes:

A more reasonable explanation that got reported couple weeks back is here in the U.S. tele-comunication companies are tired of subsidicing the iPad & iPhone for the possibility that a customer who buy ones will stick around after 2yrs of service when that customer becomes profitable to the company.

If the companies stop subing the iPads and iPhones. Apple profits will plummet and shares will fall.

Whos gonna want to put up with the real price that Apple is charging for a iPhone starting$600+ . When next year you'll want to upgrade. No profit to be made.

I think they are testing the waters with tele-coms

Nkd

I wouldn't be surprised if the use sprint as the background operator of their wireless service. Since they are pretty much desperate about gaining more customers.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Deutsche Telekom is selling T-Mobile, Apple. The FTC cockblocked the AT&T merger, but I'm pretty sure they're still interested in ditching the US as a market.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64

Your point is a very good one but I am willing to bet if we analysed the social/envoirnmental impact of these manufacturers we would all come across hardware that we owned from sources and conditions that were scary, probably including some of the hardware you (and I) own.

I find it a little hypocritical (honestly not aimed at you) that so many jump on the Apple bandwagon because their practices have been identified as less than favourable when I am willing to bet there are plenty more manufacturers out there with the same or similar practices....... don't get me wrong, it's all bad but if someone decides not to buy say an Apple laptop off the basis of fairly recent news reports and therefore buys a Toshiba or Sony instead, they may feel better in themselves but in fact they "could" be fooling themselves......

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersguides/computing/laptopsandnetbooks.aspx

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
It's a problem with the system, not the companies taking advantage of it. It would be illogical for Apple not to use Foxconn if they can get the best deals from them. Not supporting them won't really accomplish anything since the underlying system is where the problem resides.

Yeah keep eating up whatever the media feeds you, never mind the fact that when you are poorly educated there are no good jobs for you in China, never mind the fact that working at Foxconn is so much better than at a Chinese grocery store that thousands of people line up to get a chance of providing a better life for their future children.

A poster on [H] hit the nail on the head:
NKDietrich said:
Uh, probably any company with hundreds of thousands of employees is bound to have a number of suicides. The only reason Foxconn stands out is because they are the ones getting the press because of Apple.

It was pointed out nearly two years ago that Foxconn employees commit suicide less often than even the lowest estimates of China's national suicide rate.

Working in China as a Chinese citizen sucks the vast majority of the time compared to working in another country, or even working in China as an American or European where they pay you out the ass and treat you really well. That isn't in dispute.

But all this attention Foxconn is getting is nothing more than media hype and the West flaunting their "superiority" over the Chinese. It's propaganda, basically, and it's a shame that so many of us here who are supposedly intelligent, tech-savvy individuals are falling for it.

Working conditions in China suck compared to the US. But Foxconn is not outside the norm for China. In fact, the workers there are probably better off than most. Tech workers there, even the grunts, are a lot better off than some of the others.