• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anyone mod a optical drive to have a flip top?

What I'm looking to do is add a flip top window to a dvd drive and run it vertically in 3 bays. I've seen the window mod and was thinking of disabling the trays slide mechanism and hinging the windowed top. The part that I believe will prevent this from working is disabling the tray. I planed on just removing the drive gear and gluing the tray in place. I have never messed with a drive before an I'm not really sure how all the gearing works. If you have any knowledge on this I could use your help. If a flip top isn't doable I will just window mod it and eject it through the top of my case.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I dont think a flip top is moddable. It will be hard to get the drive to pull the laser and spindle down for you to load a DVD/CD. Maybe someone else on here has had luck, but I dont see it as a viable option. Now, the window, is a cool idea.

Carcenomy

System Name Project T - the computer I've never finished!
Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Zalman 9500AM2 with 9500AT fan on CPU, Zalman VF1000 on both GPUs
Memory 4GB Corsair XMS2 Pro DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTS250 OC'd 1GB w/ stock Zalman VF1050 x2 in SLI
Storage A-Data S592 64GB SSD and 2x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA2 in RAID0
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2433wm
Case 1997 Macase SuperMid tower. Vertical hinge sides, custom mesh front, open air path, fan controller.
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Elite Pro PCI
Power Supply Silverstone Decathlon DA750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Hasn't been benched.
Window top, and reroute the tray drive to a geared mechanism that opens/shuts the top - that way the drive MUST spin itself down BEFORE it flips open. Bear in mind you'd need a centralizing hub in the top to keep the disc centred, and to keep the disc tight on the drive gear.

Alternately if you didn't want a hub in the window, you could do it PlayStation style and use a drive hub with little ball bearing latches that hold the disc, although this could turn unstable at high speeds, so isn't particularly practical.

Just make sure you have a system to stop the disc when the top is opened - you don't wanna open it and be greeted by a disc spinning at 10,000rpm in the face.

Well I've Had some time to rip a 56x cd rom apart an it looks like it will work:cool:

The main parts are labeled. The switch and the eject button play the main roll of telling the optics when to spin or stop. When the switch is in the tray closed state the optics try to read. When you push the eject and the spindle stops,the tray drive gear turns until the switch is set to tray open it then stops. When the switch is set to tray closed the optics start again.
My idea would be simple I think at least the gearing. If gluing the tray in you would have to remove the knob, cut the teeth off the tray drive gear or tray and prevent the optic sled from moving beyond the the sleds drive gear.

The black lines show about where the stopper and switch catch would have to go. This would still allow the optics to lower some but prevents the need for the knob channel to push the sleds teeth to the gear. I have removed the teeth from the sled so I could test the switch with the optic in the up position so this mod is out on this drive. This is just a test drive the real mod will be on a sata dvd. When I get some more time I will do more work and post out come. Putting the hinge on the stabilizer my be a pain:ohwell:. If anyone wants test this it would be very helpful, I'm not sure if it's the same on all drives. My wife would be pissed if I gutted the DVD burner.

Carcenomy

Case 1997 Macase SuperMid tower. Vertical hinge sides, custom mesh front, open air path, fan controller.
Y'know, another (albeit more expensive) option for a flip-top donor would be a notebook drive - they have the splined hub to begin with, and no eject mechanism per se...

SUCCESS!!! kinda

Well this is [that I've seen] the first flip top optic mod.:rockout:

It's not to pretty but it works. I know it's been awhile but I only got a few hours in to it[ my kids want all my tools and really like pushing buttons] and it is just a test run. I got a chance to use my dads ban saw and have my mom watch the kids while I worked.
This is a pic of the wires that I soldered to the switch. black=com, red=open and yellow=closed. After I push eject[ with black in the red] and the spindle stops I move the wire to yellow and replace the cd. I then place the black in the red to start the read process. Moving to the yellow is not totally necessary but it stops the tray drive gears. You can just go back to red after the cd is changed and it will read. I will add a contact to the underside of flip top when I get time and eliminated the wires out side .

The next pic is of the flip top. I didn't have any hinges around so duct tape it is. If i had a hinge and a sturdy[ cardboard right now] stop plate on the under side of the top the bent paper clip would not be needed across the front to hold it level. I should have cut the metal off the front of the stabilizer to. The weight of the metal in front forces the top to tilt down. I'll have to make a trip to the hardware store and see if they have any spring load hinges that will fit, that would clean the top up a lot.

when the liteon sata drives come back in stock at newegg I'll start the mod on it and maybe write a how to thats more in depth and with some sort of mechanized eject . I just hope it similar to this benq CD rom.

EviLZeD

System Name Ez - 1st custom
Processor AMD Phenom x3 8450
Motherboard Asus m3a78-em
Cooling thermaltake mini typhoon :D aerogate fan controller
Memory 6gb corsair xms 2 800mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) xpertvision HD 4850 1GB ddr3 sonic 685/1000
Storage Corsair 128gb SSD, 2x 250GB maxtor 16mb cache raid 0, 500gb 32mb cache storage
Display(s) AMD surround view 2x e172fp 17" 1x dell e248wfp 24"
Case coolermaster elite 330
Audio Device(s) creative audigy se
Power Supply hiper type r 580watt
Software Windows 7 x64
wow thats pretty cool

Carcenomy

Ahhh beautiful, an idea put into motion. It looks pretty cool :)

For your top pivoting mount deal, I'd go for a spring-loaded hinge as you say that pivots it up, and put a little clasp on the front to hold it down. Otherwise, like I mentioned earlier, there's a potential it could hop open with a disc at full RPMs. And the last thing you want is a disc flying out and causing mayhem.

For your top pivoting mount deal, I'd go for a spring-loaded hinge as you say that pivots it up, and put a little clasp on the front to hold it down.

That was actually my plan:)
I planned on using a spring loaded slide switch that extends over the flip top when closed. That why when I push the switch over the top flips open and hold the switch while the CD is changed and when I pushed the top closed the switch slides back to cover it, locking it in to place.

Carcenomy

I like it, I like it. Keep us updated, this project is very intriguing. :)

Well this is the last bit for this drive, I've already sunk to much time in to it. Making it look good is kinda a wast of time since it will probably end up in the trash. As a test it has served it's purpose and now can rest in peace. Heres a pic of it being held in my case where the dvd rom will be. I had to hold the drive and take the pic at the same time so it's not the best view.

The hinge is junk:mad: I guess buying a small spring loaded hinge with a stop at 180 deg is to much to ask in the U.S. of A. Sure I could get a gun and some whiskey in about a second but a hinge is to dangerous to sell over the counter apparently.
Now I can flip it open and closed without messing with it to much and it does run vertically also. The hinge is very weak and sometimes pulls to the side but nothing a little tap can't fix. For the real mod I may cut the stabilizer[ forgot to mention before it's a magnet that holds the CD to spindle]out and mount it on some acrylic and have it open to the side like a door.
You can't really see it in the pic but I cut 140mm fan holes in the front of my case and the side. I also had cut the 3.5 bays to 5.25 so the modded drive would fit with my fan controller . It should look cool if the dvd mod goes good, I'll post some pic when it's done.
I'm thinking of making a HTPC case out of acrylic and wood using this mod and a VFD display. Thats if the dvd mod goes as planed. :toast:

Carcenomy

That's kickass man... with a little finishing it'd look just like one of those really expensive gimmicky stereo setups that rich people buy ;)

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Thats really neat. Post a step by step instruction guide.

Thats really neat. Post a step by step instruction guide.

Thanks, I will write a guide when I finish with the mod on the liteon sata DVD drive.This was to see if it was possible and to form a plan. It was done on the fly and very sloppily, not something that I could real put in to a guild form.
I tried to provided enough info here that someone could get the basic workings of a optic drive and start there own mod. I'm not sure how standard they are in terms of wiring and gearing. This drive is a 4 year old 56x CD drive and seems to be geared a little different then the newer DVD drives I've seen. What I mean by seen is looking in to the drive when it's open, I'll have to disassemble one to really know. The main features[ the switch is the main thing] appear the same, just moved around. If anyone could verify my findings on another type drive it would help. the drive doesn't have to be trashed to test it. Only the casing and tray need to be removed and can be put back in place afterwards. Heres a link on opening up a optic drive safely.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/179/1
The final mod will include moving the eject button,LED and hopefully some kind of automatic door opener. I plan on leaving the tray in and painting it, With the led placed under the tray so when it reads the light shots out from under the CD. Next time I will also use a guild while cutting to so it won't look like sh*t. It maybe awhile till the drive comes back in stock at newegg though but I will start on it as soon as it comes in.

BigD6997

Processor e8400 @ 4ghz 1.344v
Motherboard EVGA 780i
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-Ex lapped
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB (3-5-5-17) @ 450mhz
Video Card(s) 8800gts
Storage 200G WD
Display(s) 23in samsung lcd hdtv
Case stacker 831
Power Supply OCZ stealthxstrem 600watt
Software Xp-Pro
wow this is a great idea... i might have to incorperate it into my windowd drive

Carcenomy

You've already got the hard work done! ;)

Just do the switch reworking, hinge the top... yeeeahhhh, it'd look badass :)

BigD6997

Motherboard EVGA 780i
Video Card(s) 8800gts
Storage 200G WD
Case stacker 831
Software Xp-Pro
i might have to, just i dont have the extra money to replace it in case i screw up... so maybe next pay-check lol

dam you BigD6997!!!

Well your window mod sucked me back in, so I had to break out the dremle. I just had to see if the stabilizer could be mounted on acrylic. Heres the results and yes that is a cd case:) .

The pic was taken while the cd was reading, guess my cam is fast. I used some cardboard wedges to hold it level because I removed the casing on the front. If the acrylic was laying on the casing it should come out level, in theory anyway.
I wouldn't worry to much about F*** up the drive BigD6997. I've beat the sh*t out of this drive and can still read from it. You can always open it, check it out and put it back together if your not sure. I open this drive a few times before I started cutting. This was a $20 drive I got like three years ago so I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with a new modded drive.
I ordered the sata dvd drive last night [ off ebay for $10 more:( ] and will be getting it next week some time I hope. I also got the 140mm fans for my case mod and some of the parts for the custom HTPC I'm building. I'll try to record my progress better this time and write a really how to.

Last edited:

Carcenomy

The only suggestion I can make that would make that even cooler, is using some form of acrylic that's less brittle, and mount the hub directly into the perspex rather than sticking the metal component in too... it'll make it look EVEN tidier - if that's possible :D

It looks great, might have to do one myself at some point.

The only suggestion I can make that would make that even cooler, is using some form of acrylic that's less brittle, and mount the hub directly into the perspex rather than sticking the metal component in too... it'll make it look EVEN tidier - if that's possible :D

It looks great, might have to do one myself at some point.

It should be possible to inset the hub into acrylic but not easy. You would have to do some really precise work to get it right. From what I can tell the hub consist of a magnet set on top of a disk that has a lip around the edges to keep it from tilting.
I would think you could cut the disk out of the hub then cut a hole in some 1/4" acrylic and glue 1/16" acryic over the back and make a ring to glue on the inside. The more precise you place the hub the thinner the acrylic can be. Getting the hub centered and leveled would take some tweaking. You can hear when the hub is not centered, thats how I set the cardboard wedges. It would look better for sure:) .
The dvd rom arrived on Tuesday and I already opened it up. It is a little different but in a good way. I'll start work on it today and should have a how to in a week or so. heres some pics.

still not sure how to automate the door cx:confused:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
still not sure how to automate the door cx:confused:
Have an old cassette player laying around? Use the tooth and gear combo out of one of those ones with the slow opening trays.

BigD6997

Motherboard EVGA 780i
Video Card(s) 8800gts
Storage 200G WD
Case stacker 831
Software Xp-Pro
Well your window mod sucked me back in, so I had to break out the dremle. I just had to see if the stabilizer could be mounted on acrylic. Heres the results and yes that is a cd case:) .

The pic was taken while the cd was reading, guess my cam is fast. I used some cardboard wedges to hold it level because I removed the casing on the front. If the acrylic was laying on the casing it should come out level, in theory anyway.
I wouldn't worry to much about F*** up the drive BigD6997. I've beat the sh*t out of this drive and can still read from it. You can always open it, check it out and put it back together if your not sure. I open this drive a few times before I started cutting. This was a $20 drive I got like three years ago so I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with a new modded drive.
I ordered the sata dvd drive last night [ off ebay for $10 more:( ] and will be getting it next week some time I hope. I also got the 140mm fans for my case mod and some of the parts for the custom HTPC I'm building. I'll try to record my progress better this time and write a really how to.
welll i just found a old box with some cd drives in it (old ones) so im going to mod one of them to have a acrylic flip top with the stabilizer embeded into it... then im going to mount it on the top of a small case that im modding to fit a full water cooling set up into so there will be nothing on the front of the case and you will be able to get the cd from the top of it

will be doing that this weekend:toast:

Carcenomy

I agree with Wile E on this one - spring loaded with the old tooth/gear would be fine. For setting the hub up just right, maybe you need to find someone who's a ninja machinist to give you a hand :)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Carcenomy

I'm not ninja but I am a machinist... wouldn't be a job that's TOO hard, acrylic is generally quite easy to machine. At least with milling it etc you can get it pretty damn precise.