• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Degradation

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Hi guys. Im trying to read up on some articles on cpu degradation. Me, personally i dont think ive owned a cpu that has done it (yet). I thought id pick some TPU brains about this topic so what i am asking is:

A) What exactly happens to the cpu.

B) How many of u have experienced degradation.

C) Is the cpu f...ed once it starts happening.

Thanks.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I have to assume you mean while overclocking.

A. Usually the Overclock may fail, and the CPU will require more volts to continue to run that speed, or may not be able to OC that far after a time.

B.It happens, took me a while (year or two of beating the piss out of em) before I had to increase volts or lower the OC to get stable.

C. I think its covered in A and B.

LGV

System Name outdated
Processor AM2 6400+ X2 black @stock
Motherboard MSI K9N SLI @ HOT (very, 65+)
Cooling air
Memory 4x2GB OCZ @stock
Video Card(s) 260 gtx
Storage Hitachi 650 / ssd corsair force 3//120
Display(s) 26''
Case Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX2/ Z5500 X2 :)
Power Supply Mushkin 1000W
Software Win7/64
Got several socket A before.
They cache die. like 512 kb ( barton) then half the cache is dead.
also see one 2800+ not run on manufacture set up anymore, its like 100 mhz less after 6 year of non overclock use.
Overclocking 939, 775 did make some of them die in terms of mhz . like when you run say 1.8 ghz and you can overclock to 2.8 ghz in first try, but second and so on just 2.6. ( opteron)

you aware of the bin process of the CPU-s? I think thet just give you some answer.
No such a thing perfect manufactured CPU.

CPU degredation is generally a manufacturing issue, which becomes more substantial over time.

Please excuse the simplistic explanation, but materials science can bore people to death.

Instead of electricity, imagine that the processor works with water flows. Each valve (transistor) is ideal, so will functionally never break down. The valves are connected by plastic tubing. This tubing will functionally last forever under rated flows (voltage).

Overclocking increases the flow through the tubing, putting more pressure on it. Now, consider that the tubes are all made by the same manufacturer, but on different production lines. The end result of this means some tubes are thicker, and thus can stand greater flows; conversely, there are tubes with slight nicks, that will burst when too much flow is experienced.

Depending upon where the tube bursts, different areas of the system will be influenced. If only a redundant part of the system is burst, the system can cut flow off to that area. If a critical area of the system is damaged then the system will not work.

A CPU can experience non-critical failures which disable either components, or the whole chip. AMD used to do this during binning, so that x2, x3, and x4 chips were all segregated from the same base chip.

In essence, degredation is slowly damaging the CPU. It can be to either critical components, or non-critical parts. If you are lucky, and unstable CPU can be stabilized by disabling a core. If you're unlucky the cache or IO is damaged. Welcome to the fun of manufacturing in the real world.

Processor Phenom II 955 @ 3955Mhz 1.45v
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 push-pull /2x140mm + 2x230mm + 2x120mm = super noisy computer
Memory 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3-1333 8-8-8-22 @ 1527Mhz
Video Card(s) Crossfire 2x Sapphire Radeon 6850 @ 850/1200
Storage 320Gb Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080
Case Azza Solano 1000R Full-Tower
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S (integrated) + quadraphonic speakers
Power Supply CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 700w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
google "electromigration"
its basically what happens when your cpu gets too much voltage for a long time and parts of the circuit gets damaged

cadaveca

My name is Dave
A) What exactly happens to the cpu.

What happens in called "Electromigration". Basically, electrons tunnel through parts they shouldn't, and this creates greater leakage. CPUs will require more and more current to operate as electromigration happens, which also makes electromigration more likely, and it builds into a cascade until the tunneled hole prevents operation completely.

B) How many of u have experienced degradation.
Everyone has, although most won't notice it. My 3960X has degraded quite significantly.

C) Is the cpu f...ed once it starts happening.

Yes, and no. Basically, the heat given off by the CPU, is leaked current, and by design. There are "provided pathways" for the electrons to exit, and as they do, this excites the atoms of the CPU, makes them move a bit, and generates heat.

But, CPUs are made of silicon, a semi-conductor, whose electrical properties change based on the temperature it is at(it wil conduct better when colder, and leak less). We "overclockers" take advantage of this fact, and add more cooling, making the CPU a better conductor, and this allows it to operate at a higher frequency. The ability of a cooling device to remove heat directly affects stability because of this.

So, if you cool a "broken" CPU enough, it will work just fine.

When you cool a CPU, you lower it's ability to leak excess current. This can be offset by increasing frequency, and it can be a delicate balance to find teh best point for a CPU to run at. CPUs that are more leaky at room temps, overall, tend to overclock further when cooled, becuase there is still a greater ability for excess current to be shed when it is cooled better, and it's ability to leak excess is lowered. So overclockers that go sub-zero tend to look for high-leakage chips, even though technically they are using a less efficient peice of silicon under normal temperatures. So, a CPU that is poopy at room temp, might be great under cold, and vice-versa.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
What happens in called "Electromigration". Basically, electrons tunnel through parts they shouldn't, and this creates greater leakage. CPUs will require more and more current to operate as electromigration happens, which also makes electromigration more likely, and it builds into a cascade until the tunneled hole prevents operation completely.

Everyone has, although most won't notice it. My 3960X has degraded quite significantly.

Yes, and no. Basically, the heat given off by the CPU, is leaked current, and by design. There are "provided pathways" for the electrons to exit, and as they do, this excites the atoms of the CPU, makes them move a bit, and generates heat.

But, CPUs are made of silicon, a semi-conductor, whose electrical properties change based on the temperature it is at(it wil conduct better when colder, and leak less). We "overclockers" take advantage of this fact, and add more cooling, making the CPU a better conductor, and this allows it to operate at a higher frequency. The ability of a cooling device to remove heat directly affects stability because of this.

So, if you cool a "broken" CPU enough, it will work just fine.

When you cool a CPU, you lower it's ability to leak excess current. This can be offset by increasing frequency, and it can be a delicate balance to find teh best point for a CPU to run at. CPUs that are more leaky at room temps, overall, tend to overclock further when cooled, becuase there is still a greater ability for excess current to be shed when it is cooled better, and it's ability to leak excess is lowered. So overclockers that go sub-zero tend to look for high-leakage chips, even though technically they are using a less efficient peice of silicon under normal temperatures. So, a CPU that is poopy at room temp, might be great under cold, and vice-versa.

Great bit of info :toast:

Neoroy

System Name Skynet
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k - 5.0GHz 1.40 Volt
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD80 V.1.0 BIOS V1.21 BETA
Cooling Thermalright Archon + TY140 + Xigmatek G4718
Memory Corsair CMZ8GX3MA1866C9 4Gx2
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX570 DCUII - 880/1015 1.10 Volt
Storage WDC Black 500G SATA2 cache 32MB
Display(s) Samsung 2233SW 1920x1080p 5ms
Case Acrylic Benchtable
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750 V2 80plus Bronze
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
Nice explanations Cadaveca ;)

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
I've stumbled into something really strange (example of CPU degradation).
It was the weirdest PC problem in all my PC-problem-fixing career.

The system ran Athlon X2 5000+ (unlocked "BE")
The CPU kept overheating.
I reapplied TIM and reseated heatsink couple of times. Still the same.
I thought that the heatsink is crappy, so I replaced it with high end one. Still the same.
Even tried other PSU and MB. Same.

It's not the case of damaged heatspreader. The CPU simply gives off that much heat.
It must have at least tripled its TDP.

I'd associate it with a history of overclocking and increased leakage through degradation.
What astounds me is that it's still a stable CPU (prime95, memtest86), though you need hell of a cooler to keep it below 70 C.

Long post... sorry

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
So these cpus that need more volts to be applied for a specific speed, how many more volts we talking?

e.g. Cadavecas 3960x @ 4.5ghz with 1.45v

Lets assume that the cpu is suffering from degredation.

Will it need 1.5v to operate @ 4.5ghz or only slightly say 1.475v? Basically will it need a heap more juice or only a little?

Also can the cpu ever be revived from degradation? Thanks.

System Name Cogito Ergo Switch
Processor i7 3930K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom Water (CPU/MB/GPU Blocks, 420+240rads PP)
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133 9-11-10-27 @ 2380 9-10-10-28
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB SLI @ 1344core/7648mem + EVGA 650Ti PhysX
Storage Samsung 830 256GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB WD10EZEX (Games/Apps) + 1TB WD10EALX (Prog) + 2x 320GB WD/HGST
Display(s) Dell U2412HM + U2312HM + 2x P2212Hbe + Viewsonic 21.5" 1680x1050
Case NZXT Switch 810 White - MODDED
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-Express
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 850W - Custom Sleeved Cables (White, No Heatshrink)
Software Windows7 Pro x64
Is this where the concept of "every 10*C you lower the operating temperature, you double the lifespan of the component" comes from?

If so, I am definitely going to cool the bejeezus out of my 3930K!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So these cpus that need more volts to be applied for a specific speed, how many more volts we talking?

e.g. Cadavecas 3960x @ 4.5ghz with 1.45v

Lets assume that the cpu is suffering from degredation.

Will it need 1.5v to operate @ 4.5ghz or only slightly say 1.475v? Basically will it need a heap more juice or only a little?

Also can the cpu ever be revived from degradation? Thanks.

Yes, the needed voltage, which inherently provides more power(Volts x Amps = Watts), can increase, but the value that is needed can depend on a lot of things. It's also possible that the CPU can get jsut one tunnel, and be dead.

I could give a perfect example. AMD, with the HD4890, doubled up silicon vias(the path between the chip itself and the PCB, through the silicon), as they foudn that there was electron migration occuring at these points due to a faulty solder mask exposure. The could nto fix the exposure, so they doubled the vias up, as if the only one got too bad of a tunnel(and this was apparantly quite common), the whole chip itself was dead, because the current was lost before the chip was even able to run.

And no, there is no "fixing" degredation that has occurred via electromigration. However, with these IvyBridge chips, I am sure many users are going to lose clocks, and gain heat...not from degredation, but by drying out the thermal paste.

My 3960X did not degrade under natural usage models, so there is no need to worry about other SKT 2011 chips. I'm actually running a higher CPU voltage with my 3830 than I did with my 3960X. Let's just say though, that I know how to kill a SKT2011 chip. :laugh:

Is this where the concept of "every 10*C you lower the operating temperature, you double the lifespan of the component" comes from?

If so, I am definitely going to cool the bejeezus out of my 3930K!

Yes, exactly. Specifically, that it's a semi-conductor, is why that is tossed around, although, I do not beieve that that temperature scale is 100% correct for current silicon.

LGV

System Name outdated
Processor AM2 6400+ X2 black @stock
Motherboard MSI K9N SLI @ HOT (very, 65+)
Cooling air
Memory 4x2GB OCZ @stock
Video Card(s) 260 gtx
Storage Hitachi 650 / ssd corsair force 3//120
Display(s) 26''
Case Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX2/ Z5500 X2 :)
Power Supply Mushkin 1000W
Software Win7/64
Also can the cpu ever be revived from degradation? Thanks
NO

increase voltage wont help always.
defiantly not on cache damage.
actually the increase of voltage may increase CPU leak. so get worst.
every cpu degradation different.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Such a nostalgic thread. Reminds me of when I'd clock Apple CPUs. G3s, G4s/etc...huge argument back then about electron etching. Most clockers then would swear by it, citing their results over time. But then others would deny electrons were doing anything to the CPUs.

Thank you for this thread. Gave me a good read :).