• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! Connecting everything in motherboard

Help! New build not powering up

So, after purchasing some things I got into building the rig, but had some problems in the process
Specifically

Items:
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
GPU: nVidia N580GTX MSI Twin Frozr III 1.5 Gb
RAM: 2, 2 & 4 gb DDR3 @ 1333
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z
PSU: 1000 W Cooler Master Silent Pro M, RS-A00-AMBA-J
These, and an empty 1 TB SATA 3 to put the OS in (didn't want to connect my other HDDs before installing new OS)

So, I put the CPU in, put some paste, seat the cooler (the one which came with the cpu, planning to buy a new one), place the motherboard to the box, seated the ram, hdd, gpu and then I wanted to place the PSU and connect the cables. I ran onto a problem there:
Which cable do I connect here?
If I put off the plastic that covers the other hole it's like this:
The manual which came with the motherboard says this:

On the upper side of the page has an image which shows a 4pin 12V cable connecting to the first part (uncovered) and one identical cable connecting to the covered part

Im not familiar with that type of connector, due to my old motherboard not having one, it only had 14pin hole
So I check my PSU and it has the cable I used to put to my old motherboard which had next to it another one which looks almost the same.
Their only difference is the shape. The first one has 2 rectangular and 2 half reticular half elliptical pins, but the other one has only half reticular and have elliptical ones. The first cable fits exactly on the motherboard, tho the 2nd one does not fit on the part that was covered.

Because it did not fit exactly I only placed the first cable.
Everything set up, I power on my system. GPU fan, PSU fan, box's rear/front fans went on, CPU's fan was dead. Only after 1-2 second it started to move, and only after 6-7 seconds get into full movement, but until it does so, the system shut down (I guess because of the CPU overheating, to prevent it from damaging).
After doing so 3-4 times I re-seated everything, tried again, same thing!
I thought it might be the cooler causing this, so I placed my old one (exact same size). This time it worked, the CPU fan power on almost immediately, but nothing more. No screen powering on, no beep, nothing.
I noticed one timer? next to the start and reset buttons on the motheboard powering on as I started my system, and it kept changing numbers till it stuck to "F2".
What does this mean..?
When it goes to F2, it restarts and again the same thing, till it reaches a point when it stays there.
Also, next to multi pin cable than connects the PSU to the motherboard it has a red led which says "DRAM", but this led is on, unlike the others (CPU, boot device, etc) which are not on.
My guess is that I must have put the wrong voltage ram maybe?

Can you please help me and tell me what's wrong?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The 8-pin conenctor can use either set of 4-pin plug, or both, for a real 8-pin. It is preferred to use the 4 holes that were not "blocked" by that filler piece of plastic.

8-pin EPS connector should fit easily. 8-pin PCIe conenctor will not(since it is wired very differently than EPS connector)

DRAM LED stuck on, indicates a problem with ram(or setting for ram). Press that red "MemOK!" button, hold for three seconds, then press the power switch. Let the board do it's thing for a few minutes, and hopefully after it will boot.

IF using hte MemOK button does not work, it is possible that the BIOS on the board is not ready for an IvyBridge CPU...do you happen to have another SKT1155 chip, like 2500K or 2600K?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Also if this Z68 board is new there is a good chance that the bios is not up to date for ivy.

*DAVE YOU AND YOUR EDITING*

So, I pressed the go button for 3 secs (I didn't know witch one was the memok button so I googled it and I assume it's the go button) one red led started blinking and the system started, and for 5 minutes now it's just on with the red led blinking.The Asus website says it supports my CPU, but if it does not, what can I do? And no, I only have this skt1155 CPU, which I just bought.

brandonwh64

So, I pressed the go button for 3 secs (I didn't know witch one was the memok button so I googled it and I assume it's the go button) one red led started blinking and the system started, and for 5 minutes now it's just on with the red led blinking.The Asus website says it supports my CPU, but if it does not, what can I do? And no, I only have this skt1155 CPU, which I just bought.

You will need to pickup a G440 (VERY CHEAP CPU) install it then download the latest bios and flash the motherboard for Ivy bridge.

Even though it does support Ivy Bridge, it was first built to support Sandy Bridge so the Ivy Bridge support is allowed with the bios flash.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OR you can ask retailer, if bought local, to flash the BIOS for you. My local shop that I visit most often does this free of charge. Hopefully yours will as well.

brandonwh64

OR you can ask retailer, if bought local, to flash the BIOS for you. My local shop that I visit most often does this free of charge. Hopefully yours will as well.

Yes this is a great option as well!

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
@Dave

You think crashfree bios would allow the OP to flash an update?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
@Dave

You think crashfree bios would allow the OP to flash an update?

Maybe, if using onboard GPU only. It still requires a boot, i think, and X79 debuted the tech that requires not even a CPU installed.

BIOS 3203 required to support 3770K, BTW.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Crap yeah, you're right. It does require at minimum at least 1 successful post now that i think about it. =/

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I dunno though:

[yt]XI-zGV8SLho[/yt]

AS far as I understand it, you just need to have the BIOS named appropriately on the USB stick. However, the vid says that the function can be disabled i nBIOS ,so it does have to have the ROG connect port active already, too.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
you just need to have the BIOS named appropriately on the USB stick.

@Tsiap

Remove dedicated cards and try to post using the onboard video. See what you get.

EDIT:

Double checked, F2 is a ram error. Try a remount of the cpu cooler and use 1 stick in the last dimm.

Double checked, F2 is a ram error. Try a remount of the cpu cooler and use 1 stick in the last dimm.

I have reseated everything, tried any posible combination of my ram cards, nothin! Same with no GPU..

How can I do the BIOS thing?
I live in Greece, so only a few shops can do this thing for me, and surely not for free
At the moment I dont have any money, spent them all for the CPU :(
What do you suggest..?

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
What do you suggest..?

Suggested as above, take it to the shop and see if they will do the bios flash for you.

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
EDIT:

Double checked, F2 is a ram error....

Hi

Recovery process started.jpg

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hi

View attachment 47503

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Yes, which means it is trying to update firmware.

however, this was posted by ASUS on the ROG forum:

P67/Z68 32** Ivy Bridge BIOS Update procedure

To update to UEFI build 3202:

Ensure system is 100% stable before flashing! Do not perform this update on an overclocked system, set defaults and ensure 100% stability before commencing.

1) Flash from EZ Flash 2 (this is important, do not use any other method of flashing!) using a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Make sure you flash from EZ Flash 2 only and NOT Windows!

2) You will need to let the system flash twice. Flash the first time, when the flash completes follow the onscreen prompt to reboot.

3) Second flash will commence when the board re-BOOTs, should find the file automatically and flash it (this flash wil update the ME fw while the first flash updates UEFI).

4) After the second flash completes, follow the onscreen prompts, power down the system at mains (AC) and clear CMOS (Clear RTC) for 5 seconds before using the system again.

If you have issues with the flash contact your local ASUS service centre for assistance. If you are located in North America then follow these URLs:

To submit an online technical support request, please fill out the form at http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx.

You can also request for an RMA online at http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx

-Raja

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...Bridge-BIOS-Update-procedure&country=&status=

That said, ti seems liek BIOS update is the only option. IF you have a local ASUS service center, they should help you out.

Last edited:
Ok guys it seems like I may get my hands on a i7 2700k for a short time, can you please help me do the flashing and updating? I'm really new to all this and kinda freaked out with my stuff not working.. :cry:

EDIT:
IF you have a local ASUS service center, they should help you out.

Problem is, I do not have anything like this here, only some regular shop who sell things as they are; without knowing anything further abut them, so I'm kinda afraid to let them try to fix it, the worst scenario is they brick it

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Ok guys it seems like I can get my hands on a i7 2700k for a short time, can you please help me do the flashing and updating? I'm really new to all this and kinda freaked out with my stuff not working..

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the bios being out of date...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I highly doubt it has anything to do with the bios being out of date...

Depends on when the board was sent to retailer...BIOS support for IVB is relatively new for that product.

As to updaing, install the 2700K, download latest BIOS from ASUS website, put on FAT32 USB stick, and boot into BIOS. Use the q-flash utility in the BIOS, and follow the dreictions I posted above.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Depends on when the board was sent to retailer...BIOS support for IVB is relatively new for that product.

As to updaing, install the 2700K, download latest BIOS from ASUS website, put on FAT32 USB stick, and boot into BIOS. Use the q-flash utility in the BIOS, and follow the dreictions I posted above.

It is certainly worth giving it a shot... However, to me it sounds like a bad mobo to me especially since it is posting dram errors. I would RMA it.

Additionally, I am curious to know what PSU you have? "1000W" is not something I generally care about. Yes you have a lot of wattage but what brand and model and was it bought new?

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
its very VERY easy. Just have a flash drive formatted as fat32, in BIOS boot to ex flash and choose the from file, let the board do its thing. Don't pull power during the procedure.

I would RMA it
Cant do, I'm building this piece by piece, and the mobo was the second thing I bought, on December, from eBay, so it is not covered by any warranty since the 2 monts pereiod has passed
1000W" is not something I generally care about. Yes you have a lot of wattage but what brand and model and was it bought new?
Ok, sorry about this, was brought brand new, its Cooler Master Silent Pro M, RS-A00-AMBA-J3

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Cant do, I'm building this piece by piece, and the mobo was the second thing I bought, on December, from eBay, so it is not covered by any warranty since the 2 monts pereiod has passed

This may end up being a learning experience for you. You need to try flashing.

its very VERY easy. Just have a flash drive formatted as fat32, in BIOS boot to ex flash and choose the from file, let the board do its thing. Don't pull power during the procedure.

All these if I get it to work with the 2700k?

This may end up being a learning experience for you. You need to try flashing.

I buy things from ebay ~3 years now, this one came brand new, in unopened box, dont think this is the reason its not working. Also my GPU is from ebay, nothing wrong with it.
SO you suggest flashing too?

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
I buy things from ebay ~3 years now, this one came brand new, in unopened box, dont think this is the reason its not working. Also my GPU is from ebay, nothing wrong with it.
SO you suggest flashing too?

I've been buying on eBay since 2007, that doesn't mean I've never got a bad product on eBay.

You're running out of opitions, flash would be the best opition right now as that is free :).

If the 2700k works that does not automatically mean your 3770k will work.