• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vacuum trains: a high-speed pipe dream?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Vacuum trains promise to speed between Europe and the US faster than a plane. But will they ever make it off the drawing board?

Transatlantic passengers on Concorde often referred to the supersonic plane as their “time machine” for its ability to land in New York two hours before it left London.

But that kind of illusion could look like child’s play if so-called vacuum trains ever take off.

These futuristic transporters, designed to hurtle through tunnels that have had all of the air sucked out of them, could theoretically hit speeds of up to 4,000 km/h (2,500 mph), cutting the commute from Europe to North America to just one hour. In this high-speed future, passengers would arrive a full four hours before they set off.

As with all far out technology, it sounds like science fiction. And, in fact, vacuum trains do feature in movies like Star Trek and Logan’s Run. Whilst in the dystopian future of Farenheit 451, Ray Bradbury describes a “silent air-propelled train” that “slid soundlessly down its lubricated flue in the earth”.

But these are far from fiction, as we found out when Future reader Seb Gibbs suggested we look into them here at Hyperdrive. Today, there are teams in the US, China and elsewhere working on the concept, with some predicting their arrival within 10 years. Whilst others believe that they could offer a potentially cheap route to launch rockets into space.

Full article here.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
U get one leak in that vacumn environment at those speeds, the train will literally disintegrate..
Sounds nice and all but Idk..

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
A cross continental EM field propelled vacuum tunnel train was proposed in 1972 by a Rand Corp. physicist for military transportation applications. Speeds could (theoretically) exceed 10,000 mph.

They figured NY to LA in about 20 minutes.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/03files/The_Tubes.html

One little problem is that if you are cruising along at 10K and an earthquake compromises the tunnel's structure ... you're toast.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I drive two hours every weekday in Florida... the 10,000 MPH vacuum train brings my risk of death down ;)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I drive two hours every weekday in Florida... the 10,000 MPH vacuum train brings my risk of death down ;)

Very true. You are statistally safer in a plane than on the highway.
The only problem is that if the plane crashes your survival chance statistic goes down the dumper. :D

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
The only problem is that if the plane crashes your survival chance statistic goes down the dumper. :D

No different then a car accident, both can be fatal and both you could possibly walk away from if your extremely lucky...

Either the pilot has played a lot of combat flight sim and knows how to ditch a plane safely or the car took most of the impact and you manage to crawl out from the wreckage.

Compared to a vaccum - theres a higher rate of survival, you cant 'walk away' from a vaccum, you suffocate

rectifryer

"Puns in headlines: Not really funny?"

Internet journalism makes me lol sometimes but not for the right reasons.

A cross continental EM field propelled vacuum tunnel train was proposed in 1972 by a Rand Corp. physicist for military transportation applications. Speeds could (theoretically) exceed 10,000 mph.

They figured NY to LA in about 20 minutes.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/03files/The_Tubes.html

One little problem is that if you are cruising along at 10K and an earthquake compromises the tunnel's structure ... you're toast.

At 200mph you are toast. That point is irrelevant in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
As an engineer, I have to say that building a pipe the size of a train and length of a continent that is airtight and handle the forces of a vacuum is beyond any feasible construction techniques we have now, at least to be cost effective.

Hell, they can't even glue panels to the ceiling of a tunnel in Boston properly.

Cool to think of... perhaps someday.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64

Lol well said.. I live in Florida too and yea, people out here drive like r-tards..

As an engineer, I have to say that building a pipe the size of a train and length of a continent that is airtight and handle the forces of a vacuum is beyond any feasible construction techniques we have now, at least to be cost effective.

Hell, they can't even glue panels to the ceiling of a tunnel in Boston properly.

Cool to think of... perhaps someday.
My sentiments as well.. Yea right..
I work in the civil engineering field and building that would be just all kinds of ridiculous.
Not to mention the 24/7 security you'd need to monitor every visible section of the pipeline and the systems necessary to maintain negative pressure.. Not to mention every jerk off in the worl who might think it'd be funny to drill one small hole in your vacum and kill everyone on the train..

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
My sentiments as well.. Yea right..
I work in the civil engineering field and building that would be just all kinds of ridiculous.
Not to mention the 24/7 security you'd need to monitor every visible section of the pipeline and the systems necessary to maintain negative pressure.. Not to mention every jerk off in the worl who might think it'd be funny to drill one small hole in your vacum and kill everyone on the train..

Cool a fellow CE, what field? Obviously not vacuum train conduit design :laugh:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
If you believe the nuclear tunnel boring machines (TBM) are not a myth and you believe the glass-like surface they create is strong enough to maintain a vacuum then tunnels like this already exist and have been in use for a since the 80s at least.

Making a vacuum using a traditional TBM is impractical and hazardous.

There are only two problems with this idea, and they've always been the same: cost and maintenance.

Let's say you've got an unlimited budget in scenario 1, with scenario 2 being a geo-stable earth.

Scenario one fails because even with an unlimited budget, maintenance would be required around the clock. Minor geological tremors, not to mention the stresses due to barometric pressure shifts and temperature differentials would mean that the project would require so much labor that no ticket prices could allow its operation.

Scenario two fails because of both human interaction, and insane levels of danger. Human beings have the tendency to want to hurt one another, and there's a huge opportunity to do it here. Putting a small puncture in the line, doing massage damage through other means, or simply screwing around with the delicate conditions necessary for this to operate will make a very messy statement. Additionally, the variation in operational parameters for something like this is near zero. Even the smallest variation kills people, and humanity hasn't even been able to make sure planes are properly maintained 100% of the time.

Both scenario one and two are unrealistic. Combine the worst parts of both, and you've got reality. That makes a nearly impossible situation completely unrealistic.

Pipe dream, maybe if it were more plausible. We'll see practical jet-packs before a transcontinental vacuum tube.

If you believe the nuclear tunnel boring machines (TBM) are not a myth and you believe the glass-like surface they create is strong enough to maintain a vacuum then tunnels like this already exist and have been in use for a since the 80s at least.

Making a vacuum using a traditional TBM is impractical and hazardous.

Wow. Just wow.

Most of the hits that a google search of this brings up are... ... ... ...unique.

Apparently, the idea of nuclear power still escapes some people. Even more so, the fact that not everything can be melted into rock continues to baffle people. Nuclear energy cannot be converted directly into a beam, it cannot reliably interact with matter as particles moving with that much energy don't reliably contact the nuclei of atoms, and that sort of concentration of radiation would melt anything. Assuming you've got an exotic alloy that can take that heat, you've got to channel molten magma somewhere. The problem with all of this is that you can't reliably interact with the unit (radiation interference), and you can't manually operate the unit (heat+radiation). No controls means that this is unlikely to ever happen.

Taking out the shadow government talk, physical improbabilities, and losing track of where the funding for this kind of project could come from, what is left? A conspiracy that the government is using a technology beyond anything in the private sector, without anyone having solid proof of anything despite the massive amount of resources that a process like this would take.

Nixon couldn't cover up Watergate.
Bill Clinton couldn't get some strange on the side with a secretary.
What makes you think a much larger, and more difficult to maintain, secret like this is still being kept?

Interesting read though, FordGT90Concept. It's always worth staring directly into the face of an idea, before discovering that it is powered by crazy.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
this is same concept as the transfer canisters at mobile banks. But ya too many risk factors to either eliminate or reduce in such a situation. and to bridge from one continent to the next wouldnt really work because of continental drift. As said below a pin hole could become something more over time with negative pressure inside the bridge.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
lol @ US and Chinese :p

this is a bad idea. well its a bad idea until someone makes it earthquake proof!

System Name Middleman
Processor i5-3570k @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Samsung 8GB 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7870
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Case Cooler Master Haf XM
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair 800W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
One possibility (with unlimited funding -_-) would be to use an advanced form of shield tunneling to create to largest bore that you see in my (very) quickly done Visio drawing attached to this post.

Altogether you would use 3 'layers' to protect the trains, the outermost 2 would be to protect from things such as earthquakes/tremors and enough space would be given between the outermost and middle layer that continental drift wouldn't become an issue until millenia later. Using numerous supports throughout the length of the tunnel would essentialy suspend the 2 inner layers. And repeat the process between the middle layer and the inner layer, suspending the core using support structures.

The hardest part would be to maintain the vacuum in the core layer while still bringing in power/people at a very large scale. Unless we can find a way to have power produce power upon itself and ask people to hold their breath when they get on or leave the train, I have no clue, lol.

BTW I am in no way an engineer, but I love just thinking about stuff like this.

Attachments

• tunnel idea.PNG
    tunnel idea.PNG
    105.1 KB · Views: 523

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Apparently, the idea of nuclear power still escapes some people. Even more so, the fact that not everything can be melted into rock continues to baffle people. Nuclear energy cannot be converted directly into a beam, it cannot reliably interact with matter as particles moving with that much energy don't reliably contact the nuclei of atoms, and that sort of concentration of radiation would melt anything. Assuming you've got an exotic alloy that can take that heat, you've got to channel molten magma somewhere. The problem with all of this is that you can't reliably interact with the unit (radiation interference), and you can't manually operate the unit (heat+radiation). No controls means that this is unlikely to ever happen.

Taking out the shadow government talk, physical improbabilities, and losing track of where the funding for this kind of project could come from, what is left? A conspiracy that the government is using a technology beyond anything in the private sector, without anyone having solid proof of anything despite the massive amount of resources that a process like this would take.
Patents were filed for it in 1971-1974 by the United States Atomic Energy Commission (which was renamed to United States Energy Research and Development Administration in 1974):
http://www.reptoids.com/Vault/Underground/tbm1page.htm
http://www.reptoids.com/Vault/Underground/tbm2page.htm
http://www.reptoids.com/Vault/Underground/tbm3page.htm

Rand Corp. was apparently contracted to build one or more of them according to leaked documents. Maybe they found out it doesn't work. Maybe it did work. We (the people without ridiculously high security clearance) don't know.

There is some truth to the claims but it is impossible to tell where the facts end and the fiction starts.

Nixon couldn't cover up Watergate.
Bill Clinton couldn't get some strange on the side with a secretary.
What makes you think a much larger, and more difficult to maintain, secret like this is still being kept?
Because you're talking about politicians, not black programs. A prime example of a black program is the US-Israeli engineered virus that destroyed Iranian centrifuges. The only reason why anyone outside of Iran found out is because it escaped to the internet.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Anyway, there's a reason why I put all that blatant speculation in the post: there's no way to prove/disprove it. :p

Bottom line: this concept (vacuum tunnels) is almost 4 decades old.

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
One possibility (with unlimited funding -_-) would be to use an advanced form of shield tunneling to create to largest bore that you see in my (very) quickly done Visio drawing attached to this post.

Altogether you would use 3 'layers' to protect the trains, the outermost 2 would be to protect from things such as earthquakes/tremors and enough space would be given between the outermost and middle layer that continental drift wouldn't become an issue until millenia later. Using numerous supports throughout the length of the tunnel would essentialy suspend the 2 inner layers. And repeat the process between the middle layer and the inner layer, suspending the core using support structures.

The hardest part would be to maintain the vacuum in the core layer while still bringing in power/people at a very large scale. Unless we can find a way to have power produce power upon itself and ask people to hold their breath when they get on or leave the train, I have no clue, lol.

BTW I am in no way an engineer, but I love just thinking about stuff like this.

nice idea, but earthquakes dont work that way!