• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II TOP 2 GB

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Getting a lot reports of these TOP cards being unstable at stock clocks. Couple hours of Heaven and high number of the cards eventually crash.

Just a little warning... if you do have one of these please do some proper stability testing to see if your card is one of these bad ones.

Just came here to say the same. The non-TOP seems to be more reliable and overclock to a higher point than the TOPs, of which an unnaturally high percentage seem to be unstable at their stock clocks (and yes they both have the backplate).

In this case, TOPs don't appear to be higher binned and actually seem to be worse than the non-TOPs.

Jackeduphard

Just came here to say the same. The non-TOP seems to be more reliable and overclock to a higher point than the TOPs, of which an unnaturally high percentage seem to be unstable at their stock clocks (and yes they both have the backplate).

In this case, TOPs don't appear to be higher binned and actually seem to be worse than the non-TOPs.

No problems on my end just yet ...

(of course all i am doing is playing D3 for 8 hours strait and then have a moive open on the other screen)

Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64
I was hoping to buy the TOP card in a month or so for a new build... I hope Asus fix the issues by then or I'd have to look for another model/brand... :)

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
These cards overclock really well. You just have to be careful of the boost overclocking, as it ups what you set the default by a specific amount... So overclocking to say...1150 core, really means like 1230mhz.

http://img.techpowerup.org/120601/BOOMp16701.jpg

My benchmark of 3dmark11.

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
I received the card last Tuesday and I have not found any problem, even after long sessions of play BF3... I dont like to overclock the GPU, this card already runs at its limits.

I need to post some pics for this upgrade too !

Jackeduphard

just get there base model ... (from what some people are saying it is a great card too ...)

@adulaamin

Helltech

Well I got this card on NewEgg as soon as it came out on there. Got it, red screened out of box. Never overclocked it. After looking online figured it was from SpeedFan/Afterburner, so I used it on a clean install of Windows, and still would red screen all the time, just randomly. RMA'ed it to NewEgg they gave me a refund becuase they ran out and they havn't been in stock since. I'm getting really tired of waiting. :(

Anyway does anyone know how this fairs against MSI's PE edition. ASUS is (probably?) more quite and it has that sexy backplate, but I can't wait much longer for it to get instock.

Processor Core i7 8700K @4.8
Motherboard MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X flash to Z
Storage 960 EVO 500GB(boot) + Mx300 1T + Barracuda 3TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 XB271HB G-Sync 144hz + AOC e2752Vq
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion - Cherry MX Brown
Software Win10pro x64

Helltech

As far as I was aware when I was looking back at the begining of the month it was the software itself causing it to redscreen, that is just an update that leviates the problem.

However I wasn't even using the software and still red screening, as I said i would red screen on a fresh install of windows.

Frosty

System Name Relationship Destroyer
Processor i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz (HT On)
Motherboard Asrock X58 Extreme3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (6 GB)
Video Card(s) SLI GTX 465 GE (flashed to 470s)
Storage Kingston V 64 GB, 2 x Seagate 7200.12
Display(s) Dell 24" + 2 x BenQ 24"
Case Antec 300 (Window Mod)
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Raider
Power Supply Cougar 1000CMX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Just so everyone is aware:

The TOP version of the GTX 670 DCU II has been recorded to boost past 1137MHz, which seems to be causing the instability and crashing for most users.

With the above said, Asus has released an updated BIOS for the card that should improve stability. It can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/#download

I'd be interested to know if this would make a difference in the performance seen in the review for this card.

Helltech

Just so everyone is aware:

The TOP version of the GTX 670 DCU II has been recorded to boost past 1137MHz, which seems to be causing the instability and crashing for most users.

With the above said, Asus has released an updated BIOS for the card that should improve stability. It can be found here:

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/#download

I'd be interested to know if this would make a difference in the performance seen in the review for this card.

According to the extremely large thread on another forum all users that flashed to the new BIOS have gotten worse Heaven and 3DMark scores, it basically just lowers the max the cards can boost from what they have seen.

Frosty

System Name Relationship Destroyer
Processor i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz (HT On)
Motherboard Asrock X58 Extreme3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (6 GB)
Video Card(s) SLI GTX 465 GE (flashed to 470s)
Storage Kingston V 64 GB, 2 x Seagate 7200.12
Display(s) Dell 24" + 2 x BenQ 24"
Case Antec 300 (Window Mod)
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Raider
Power Supply Cougar 1000CMX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
According to the extremely large thread on another forum all users that flashed to the new BIOS have gotten worse Heaven and 3DMark scores, it basically just lowers the max the cards can boost from what they have seen.

Yes, it will most likely lower the performance of the card but resolve the instability issues some users are experiencing.

I mentioned that the reason for the instability is that the cards are boosting past the 1137MHz boost frequency advertised by Asus. In a way, those who purchased this card were actually getting better than advertised performance. Now that the BIOS update is released they should be getting the performance (1137MHz boost) that had been previously advertised by Asus.

I mentioned it to W1zzard as I think this would have a fairly significant impact on his review.

Helltech

Yes, it will most likely lower the performance of the card but resolve the instability issues some users are experiencing.

I mentioned that the reason for the instability is that the cards are boosting past the 1137MHz boost frequency advertised by Asus. In a way, those who purchased this card were actually getting better than advertised performance. Now that the BIOS update is released they should be getting the performance (1137MHz boost) that had been previously advertised by Asus.

I mentioned it to W1zzard as I think this would have a fairly significant impact on his review.

Yeah it fixes the over-boosting problem on the top cards, just wish they would fix the problems with the non-top ones.

NGC7293

Hi, there!

Have this one GTX670-DC2T-2GD5, since 5 of june. So, out of the box (no overclocking) - Furemark, Unigine Heaven, Diablo 3 - everything's OK!
But in Battlefield 3, Battlefield 2 Bad Company - every 30 min(avarage) - hard crush, RSOD, BlackSOD. Help's only hard reset. Top core(max boost) frequency in this games - 1280Mhz!

Updated VBIOS from the Asus website: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/#download doesn't help.
New BIOS decrease top core(max boost) frequency to 1215Mhz, so as I said before, it doesn't help.

Then I decrease top core(max boost) frequency to 1180 Mhz in MSI Afterburner - and problem fixed.

I can't understend, why they are published GPU Boost Clock : 1137 MHz, but at this time maximum boost clock is 1280Mhz!? May be they are mean, that GPU Boost Clock : 1137 MHz - is avarage boost clock? :confused: What 4?

So, imho, the reason of this RSOD/BlackSOD/crush - is toooo much high default core clock. It seems, like ASUS doesn't test their cards. :banghead: And it's very CRUDE PRODUCT!

just wish they would fix the problems with the non-top ones.
AFAIK, non-TOP cards doesn't have the same problem. There is no negative feedback about GTX670-DC2-2GD5, with same problem

Last edited:

Helltech

Hi, there!

Have this one GTX670-DC2T-2GD5, since 5 of june. So, out of the box (no overclocking) - Furemark, Unigine Heaven, Diablo 3 - everything's OK!
But in Battlefield 3, Battlefield 2 Bad Company - every 30 min(avarage) - hard crush, RSOD, BlackSOD. Help's only hard reset. Top core(max boost) frequency in this games - 1280Mhz!

Updated VBIOS from the Asus website: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5/#download doesn't help.
New BIOS decrease top core(max boost) frequency to 1215Mhz, so as I said before, it doesn't help.

Then I decrease top core(max boost) frequency to 1180 Mhz in MSI Afterburner - and problem fixed.

I can't understend, why they are published GPU Boost Clock : 1137 MHz, but at this time maximum boost clock is 1280Mhz!? May be they are mean, that GPU Boost Clock : 1137 MHz - is avarage boost clock? :confused: What 4?

So, imho, the reason of this RSOD/BlackSOD/crush - is toooo much high default core clock. It seems, like ASUS doesn't test their cards. :banghead: And it's very CRUDE PRODUCT!

AFAIK, non-TOP cards doesn't have the same problem. There is no negative feedback about GTX670-DC2-2GD5, with same problem

Except I have had three non-top card and two of them had the RSOD issue and the last one didn't. So yes, they do.

ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit G...

NGC7293

Except I have had three non-top card and two of them had the RSOD issue and the last one didn't. So yes, they do.

ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit G...

Ok, believe you, but % of negative feedback with the same poblem on non-TOP is much lower, then with TOP.
And I believe it's your's feedback? So, are you sure, that the prolblem associated only/most with monitoring software, E.G. SpeedFan, Precision X, MSI Afterburner, GPUz???

One more observation. All this overclocked cards:
Palit GeForce GTX 670 JetStream 2 GB, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2 GB, Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2 GB operates at 3D Load - MAX 1176 MHz

And
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II TOP 2 GB
operates at 3D Load - MAX 1293 MHz

So I think, ASUS overdone in its attempt to be №1 ;)

Last edited: