• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Premium Sells Over 800K Since Launch

I feel bad for you Cadaveca, it literally costs half of that if not a little bit less for the tickets where I live. Paying only six dollars for normal movies or seven for 3D isn't a bad deal at all in my opinion, although I only go to the movies that are extremely worth seeing in theaters. Just like I'll only buy the games that are worth buying anymore.

System Name Mašina
Processor AMD-K6-200ALR 2.9V CORE/3.3V I/O
Motherboard Asus TX97 - XE
Cooling Cooler Master Ball Bearing
Memory 2X16MB NANYA DDR
Video Card(s) PCI 16MB
Storage Maxtor 4GB
Display(s) 15''
Case Hyundai P50000M
Audio Device(s) Creative Vibra 16S
Power Supply 130W
Software Free Dos
Benchmark Scores BFBC2 @ high = 100 frames per year
back in the days maps used to be free...

Black Haru

Staff member
Because locally, for me, going to the threatre is MORE expensive. I have plain ol' stopped going, period, becuase I get far more out of buying a game, even if the game is ultra crappy.

Dude posted above that it's $12...for me, it's $12.99, plus tax(5%), or 3D is $15.99...making games @ $50 CHEAPER.

Both are regular forms of entertainment that people enjoy. Of the people I talk to locally, those that go to the movies regularily, don't play video games, and vice-versa. EasyRHino said it surprised him how readily some people drop cash on certain franchises, and to me, it's no differnt than the people i know that go to movies weekly. I cannot understand how people can do THAT...although I do understand needing entertainment. Games and movies are jsut differnt forms of entertainment, and for me, a big part of my personal justification for the money I spend on video games is that other forms of entertainment are actaully more expensive.

I mean, I've got 4 kids, so going to the movie theatre isn't just $50...more like $150. So buying Premium is a no-brainer, given my own circumstances.

bro, you gotta get out of there. the Canadia is sucking you dry man. I can see a matinee for 5 bucks (yeah, even a movie that just came out) and 3d for 10 (imax is 12). I do agree with the analogy. even at 5 bucks, its still not nearly the deal a good game is.

and thats the problem. the ppl against it assume its a bad deal compared to spending on other things yet the prolly have no kids or live at home w/ parents. Just about ALL of us older members have families and thats why it makes the $50 a good deal, we HAVE to spend more on other forms of entertainment.

I only have 2 kids but movies are def more than $50 ( i mean who just buys a ticket and then ONLY popcorn for the 2+ hour movie, theres drinks, nachos, chocolate or sugar candies etc.) That right there; especially for my kids, makes it more expensive. AND movies are about the cheapest thing a family can do together... camping is just crazy expensive ( lot fees, booze for adults and food and munchies for everyone.... not to mention gas costs associated with getting there and back and runs into town for the odd thing u forgot to bring).

your spending too much on camping too. (this is excluding the initial cost of equipment, which can get high very quick)

when was this? I don't seem to recall. In fact, what I do recall is special forces expansion (aka DLC) costing 39.99 some time back...

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Not in the Battlefield Franchise.

BF2 had special forces, first. Then two or three other map packs.

BF2142 had Northern Strike.

BF: BC2 had Vietnam...

:D

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Each to their own. I have Karkand with Limited Ed, pre-buy, not interested in Close Q, that leaves three more expansions which will be had for 15 Euro each during the following 8 months.
I would have payed 50 Euro for new content that I'm interested in and not already own but this is not the case.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
With everything else in life costing so much more than it used to, but games staying at relatively the same price, I can understand it.

$50 for a PC game has been the norm for hmm..5-6 years?

Can you even go to movie and buy popcorn for that cost?

A lot of people will get hundreds of hours out of the $50, vs a couple at the theatre for the same cost...

Here is a nice article detailing the price of video games by Ars technica:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/10/an-inconvenient-truth-game-prices-have-come-down-with-time/

I remember when Ocarina of Time came out for the N64 and it cost $79.99! I picked up later on Majora's Mask and it was $60. So why is everybody complaining?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Console games were always more expensive than PC games...

that kinda changed when Pc games turned into PC ports...publishers wanted to charge people the same price. but yeah, back in the day when PC games were PC games it was different

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Here is a nice article detailing the price of video games by Ars technica:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/10/an-inconvenient-truth-game-prices-have-come-down-with-time/

I remember when Ocarina of Time came out for the N64 and it cost $79.99! I picked up later on Majora's Mask and it was $60. So why is everybody complaining?

n64 games cost that much because they were on carts which were much more expensive that cd, the price drop was due to pressure from the much cheaper $40-50 PS1 titles.

Black Haru

Staff member
n64 games cost that much because they were on carts which were much more expensive that cd, the price drop was due to pressure from the much cheaper $40-50 PS1 titles.

Yeah, and the development costs were still a fraction of any modern AAA title.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Deneb @ 3.7GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Heatsink
Memory OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-24 1.85v
Video Card(s) ATI Sapphire OC 7850 1200c/5800m @ 64c Full Load
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB + Western Digital 1TB External Drive
Display(s) SAMSUNG ToC T240 24'' LCD
Case Silverstone FT01-BW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply ZALMAN ZM-750
Software Win 7 x64 SP1
well it shows you guys are young if you dont remember whole armies ( canadian ) being added to BF1942 in patches

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
well it shows you guys are young if you dont remember whole armies ( canadian ) being added to BF1942 in patches

I don't think age has much to do with it. I'm 26, I just barely started driving with 1942 came out, and my family never had a computer. When I got my first job I finally built a comp and 1942 was one of the games I built it for. It's crazy to think that was 10 years ago now. But I played the DC mod almost exclusively. Back in the BC2 Clubhouse people would always flap their gums about BF3 this and BF3 that, simply because they felt BC2 wasn't a spiritual successor (and it seemed mostly because it wasn't just BF"insert X number here"). Now that BF3 is out, I feel honestly that BC2 was a better successor to the family than BF3 is. Not saying I'm not enjoying BF3, because I am, I just had a lot more fun on BC2 and it felt more like the BF3 I remember.

Now getting past that rant, everytime I mentioned 1942 in the past when people were talking BF2 this and BF2 that, almost never was an eye batted. I don't think many here played 1942, most seemed to have jumped in at BF2, which makes me a bit sad :( I want to see El Alamein brought back in the next DLC. I know it never will be, but man that map was epic. That map was so large it's Flags were like little towns. I remember getting tanks destroyed out in the desert and just committing suicide, simply because the run to any base was too far to even consider.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I gave up on COD after COD4, I have BF2(with the Vietnam DLC) and I'm waiting to purchase BF3 when I can get it for 9.99. I'm not too sure about the Premium Service. Not for me unless it's cheap.

I'm actually thinking of starting my own club and I got the idea from this thread. "The Great Unwashed". There will be only one rule for membership. You never purchase a game from The Great Unwashed for more than 9.99 per video game. I've been able to purchase every single title that has come out in the last year(sans COD and BF3) without hassle. You don't even have to look very hard.

I started this rule when TGU changed their format from $49.99 and the whole game to $59.99 and 1/2(or less) of a game. I figured I'd just wait and pay them the difference.

:),

LC

P.S. We're heading into a Depression. Games will be cheap.

Deo Domuique

Processor i5 2500
Motherboard P8P67
Memory 8GB HyperX
Video Card(s) 7950 WindForce
Storage SSD Intel X-25V + WD Caviar Black SATA III
Display(s) LG 23" 1080p
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum + Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply TPX-575M TOUGHPOWER XT
Software Win7 x64
I'm staying purposely out of this. I don't want to support the 'NoSupportAnymore'.

Since the release we receive only balance adjustments which yes, they're necessary, but require no real work and even these came untested. DICE has to release so many DLCs that literally they don't have time to fix the countless glitches and bugs.

I got the game 34.9€, the Limited Edition, Box with B2K and now they ask 49.9€ for premium, digital content... Europeans and Aussies have to pay the most expensive price in the whole world.

Most of the 800k had already B2K which means they repaid it. Many of them won't even play CQ and some both... But somehow they still 'save' money. I won't even mention about the last 2 DLCs which no one knows what they'll be about...

I stronly believe all of us ( gamers ) lose in long term.

What about the CoD-like, fully recoil-less, fully spread-less CQ weapons? I bet they'll be nerfed after 2-3 patches for obvious reasons... It's like they're saying "buy CQ/premium" to get these OP guns.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I'm staying purposely out of this. I don't want to support the 'NoSupportAnymore'.

Since the release we receive only balance adjustments which yes, they're necessary, but require no real work and even these came untested. DICE has to release so many DLCs that literally they don't have time to fix the countless glitches and bugs.

I got the game 34.9€, the Limited Edition, Box with B2K and now they ask 49.9€ for premium, digital content... Europeans and Aussies have to pay the most expensive price in the whole world.

Most of the 800k had already B2K which means they repaid it. Many of them won't even play CQ and some both... But somehow they still 'save' money. I won't even mention about the last 2 DLCs which no one knows what they'll be about...

I stronly believe all of us ( gamers ) lose in long term.

What about the CoD-like, fully recoil-less, fully spread-less CQ weapons? I bet they'll be nerfed after 2-3 patches for obvious reasons... It's like they're saying "buy CQ/premium" to get these OP guns.

Its not DICE's fault you pay high prices. Blame your government.

Deo Domuique

Processor i5 2500
Motherboard P8P67
Memory 8GB HyperX
Video Card(s) 7950 WindForce
Storage SSD Intel X-25V + WD Caviar Black SATA III
Display(s) LG 23" 1080p
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum + Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply TPX-575M TOUGHPOWER XT
Software Win7 x64
Its not DICE's fault you pay high prices. Blame your government.

Uhm... Who mentioned that DICE is responsible for the price? Certainly not me. Also, what goverment? European and Australian? EA and every company from U.S.A. usually convert the relative European prices like this: 1$=1€, no matter if there are no transfer or other costs... They just do. This injustice doesn't concern only my country specifically. You can ask other Europeans, likewise...

When you buy transatlantic online products, few our different governments can do about.

I really hope it was just a wit and has nothing to do with the fact that you are American and the relative stereotypes that you do not know what is going on on other countries, outside the U.S.

Incidentally, I see that you purposely leave out all the serious reasons and you grapple with the most trivial, and even this mistakenly. I think you were ready to include the phrase 'poor peasant', right? :p

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Uhm... Who mentioned that DICE is responsible for the price? Certainly not me. Also, what goverment? European and Australian? EA and every company from U.S.A. usually convert the relative European prices like this: 1$=1€, no matter if there are no transfer or other costs... They just do. This injustice doesn't concern only my country specifically. You can ask other Europeans, likewise...

When you buy transatlantic online products, few our different governments can do about.

I really hope it was just a wit and has nothing to do with the fact that you are American and the relative stereotypes that you do not know what is going on on other countries, outside the U.S.

Incidentally, I see that you purposely leave out all the serious reasons and you grapple with the most trivial, and even this mistakenly. I think you were ready to include the phrase 'poor peasant', right? :p

You said "Europeans and Aussies have to pay the most expensive price in the whole world." as if its DICE/EA fault. Its not. Blame import tariffs and such. To expensive? Vote for something else in your Parliament or whatever you have or just don't buy the game. Price isn't the issue here. The cost of the good is set by the market and sadly now government regulation.

As for the American comment Ill just chalk that up to the inferiority complex so many young people have these days. Most cannot even grasp their own issues so they blame "the big bad wolf" instead of owning up to there own short falls.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
A lot of things aren't considered when it comes to worldwide pricing. Tariffs and VAT are amongst those things that drive the cost of a product up, which is why many Americans are against a VAT in the US.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
You said "Europeans and Aussies have to pay the most expensive price in the whole world." as if its DICE/EA fault. Its not. Blame import tariffs and such. To expensive? Vote for something else in your Parliament or whatever you have or just don't buy the game. Price isn't the issue here. The cost of the good is set by the market and sadly now government regulation.

As for the American comment Ill just chalk that up to the inferiority complex so many young people have these days. Most cannot even grasp their own issues so they blame "the big bad wolf" instead of owning up to there own short falls.

DERAIL:

Do you believe that the US has no part in shaping international trading to ensure that it maintains an advantage? To discuss the market is to discuss an invisable and unidentifiable force, but in many instances the US is the "market" you refer to and actively shapes the economic context around us. That is not to say that the US is at fault in this specific case, but I do not believe that we can or should speak of the US and "the market" as separate entities that operate according to different principles and with different aims - often, perhaps too often, they are one and the same.

System Name Adult Entertainment
Processor i7 2600K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Evo with two Noctua 12cm fans
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce GTX 690
Storage two 3TB hard drives
Display(s) 27" Asus
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) Motherboard Soundcard FTW!
Power Supply Seasonic X850
Software Windows 10 64bit | Linux Mint | Windows XP 32bit
Benchmark Scores Score: OMFGWTFBBQSPEED!
man i have less than 50 hours played and I already feel that it was money well spent. Christ, im on a fixed income and can set aside the neccessary funds to build my comp, buy bf3 and karkand then Premium. If you don't wish to pay for something like this then don't, but don't slander us that did buy it because we feel its a good deal.

I can also back up Dave's comment on 8 bit games costing $75-90 dollars. Hell i even remember when the Neo Geo came out. System was about $500 and games were $200 each. All this to be able to play arcade games at home. Let's not forget the very 1st CD based system ever, the 3DO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer. $600 for that system.. maybe more depending on sources.

To sum it up, the gamer of the 2000s and up dont know how good they have it price wise compared to some of us older members.

Actually, the first console to use CD (though was no CD based) was the PC Engine aka TG-16. (Ah those were the good ole days)