• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dota 2

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Just played it for the first time.. and coming from LoL I must say that this game feels like the crappy knockoff rather then the other way around

LoL has better character balance imo, which right now seems to be a big problem with dota 2.

Among other little things, towers not doing crap for damage in dota 2, LoL blows this remake out of the water.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I hope this is some horrible joke, but let me make some things clear as someone who has played nearly every MOBA on the market:

DotA2 is a sequel to DotA: Allstars, the Custom Game Map from Warcraft III developed by a guy named Icefrog. Icefrog was hired by Valve a couple years back to make a MOBA for them (DotA2). An earlier version of DotA was developed by a couple of guys with the alias' Guinsoo and Eul, but it wasn't nearly as popular or refined. These 2 guys helped found Riot Games and develop LoL some years later. So the people at Riot Games developed a version of DotA, and Icefrog took over when they went on to form Riot Games, and with his changes and focus on balance and refinement, the popularity of DotA (and by proxy--MOBA's) exploded. If it weren't for Icefrog and DotA: Allstars, Riot Games would have never gotten funding to really start developing League of Legends.

Now that the History lesson is out of the way, it's important to recognize the difference in the philosophy of each game. LoL focuses more on rewarding people for playing well, but not penalizing them in anyway for playing badly/irresponsibley. DotA2, rewards people for playing well, and punishes them for their mistakes, and their teamates mistakes. In LoL when you die, you aren't really losing anything, but in DotA2 when you die, you lose gold, your opponent gains gold, and you lose tons of time in the lane which they can use to push through a tower and possibly give their team a big edge.

Even more than the dynamics of dying, the way creeps are handled is vastly different. In LoL you can last hit enemy creeps to get extra gold. In DotA2 you can last hit enemy creeps for extra gold, as well as being able to last hit your own creeps to prevent the enemy from getting extra gold (and experience). This almost Meta-Game allows for a lot more depth to the game, and a huge increase in the learning curve of the game, because even if you know how to play every hero flawlessly, you're screwed if your opponent prevents you from last hitting a single creep.

As for character balance, LoL has been out in one form or another for like 5 years at this point, it has had a lot of time to add characters here and there, as well as balancing pre-existing characters. DotA2 is still in Beta, and is in the process of adding more characters from the actual DotA roster (which is at something like 80-100 heroes) to fill in gaps. By the time DotA2 goes live I expect it will have at least 60 heroes, and be very well balanced. One thing that makes balance automatically better than LoL, is that everyone has access to all the heroes in the pool, all the time. There's no advantage to players who spend more money or time on the game, because a lot of the heroes outside of the pool are substantially better than the ones in the pool at any given time.

Overall I think DotA2 is a better game than LoL, but then again, I think HoN is a better game than LoL. Everytime I play LoL I always end up carrying the team with a hero that everyone says is bad and incapable of doing so (Cho'Gath represent). With DotA2 the game is a lot more difficult because of a lot of elements that LoL has just flat out removed over the years, leading to a simpler less dynamic game.

Processor Core i5 4460
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Memory 1x 8GB DDR3 @ 900Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1660 6GB OC
Storage Patriot Blast 240GB SSD; Caviar Black 500 GB; Caviar Green 1 TB
Display(s) Dell U2311H (23'' IPS)
Power Supply FSP Hyper 700
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
I'd also like to point out that Dota2 is not a remake, because it changes NOTHING gameplay-wise from the original DotA.

Dota2 even copies things that were once considered engine bugs - just to make it identical gameplay-wise!

As for LoL vs Dota(2) vs HoN, it is mostly a matter of preference, but I'd pick Dota2 or HoN over LoL any day.

And, please don't comment on balance if you played the game for less than 6 months and/or followed the competitive scene.

PS xenocide, Valve said that Dota2 is not considered to be "beta quality" anymore, but it is still invite-based because "servers are not ready to handle the massive interest". Not very surprisingly, they said that on the day they implemented the cash shop :D

Play3r

System Name SexMachine
Processor Intel i5 750 @ 4Ghz 1.29v
Motherboard Asus P7P55D Deluxe
Cooling Prolimatech Mega Shadow
Memory Corsair CM3X2G1600C9DHX 4GBs @ 800Mhz @ 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) VTx3d 6950 Modded +200 900mhz/1375mhz
Storage 120GB Corsiar Force 3, 2 1TBs, 6 1.5TBs, 3 2TBs
Display(s) BenQ XL2410T & Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM + Dell U2410
Case Lian Li PC-A70FB Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence ST
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W TX-750W POWER SUPPLY
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores Benchmark ALL THE THINGS
LoL reminds me of EM back in the original DotA where you would just end up with alot of money and experience even if you were really bad.

I remember watching a stream where some LoL players or something rather were commentating The International and they had 0 clue on what was taking place in the game. Although DotA and LoL seem very similar they play very very differently. If you coming from playing LoL and have no experience with DotA you are likely to get eaten alive and possibly complain that the game is imbalance or what not but as was said by xenocide DotA 2 has the balance of a near 8 year old game/map so it is definitely not imbalanced, you just need to learn how to play it :p

Play3r

System Name SexMachine
System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
yeah.. the rage I feel when I die in Dota / Dota2 really hits the spot compared to LoL.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
I like Dota2, although I really dislike people quitting quickly. It really makes it hard to learn the game.

Play3r

System Name SexMachine
rage quitting and what not have always been part of dota culture. In war3 is was common for some to leave if they were first blooded. And then banlist came along :).

System Name Illidan
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3000MHz 14CL
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage Crucial P1 1TB + Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung EVO Plus 970 2TB + F3 1TB + Toshiba X300 4TB
Display(s) Iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Corsair 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sony WH1000-XM4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Dota 2 is in nearly every aspect better than LoL.
It doesn't suffer from the horrible engine/netcode to begin with and the shit community(not as much anyway). You get to play all the heroes and you don't have to grind your way to have the better heroes like in LoL.

Also, LoL targets a different kind of people. It's a dumbed down version for people who want to play a casual moba game with fixed metas, meanwhile dota 2 offers more complex mechanics that a first timer would not understand (I have played dota 1 for 2 years, then LoL 2 years and now a few months dota 2).

Don't get me wrong. I loved LoL and I was happy to switch from Dota 1, but there is no reason for me to keep on playing LoL. Dota 2 is the higher skilled game, with a better engine and I can play with friends from all over the world, because riot doesn't allow account transfers between different servers (except EUW<>EUNE)

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
LoL has better character balance imo, which right now seems to be a big problem with dota 2.

Among other little things, towers not doing crap for damage in dota 2, LoL blows this remake out of the water.

I think its based on personal preference. I absolutely detest LoL, since that I played the original DotA for as long as I remember. Now to address some of your concerns:

LoL's character balance is completely different from DotA's, in LoL everyone is semi decent against another, whereas in DotA there are heroes which are absolutely useless in 1v1 situations but is completely retarded strong in teamfights like Dazzle, and they are heroes crazy powerful 1v1 but is almost completely useless in teamfights like Luna. You get punished in DotA if your teammates are not performing, but in LoL you can more or less go 4v5 if the team is sufficiently farmed.

About the tower situation: They tried to make the tower mechanic in such a way people will be forced to make the decision to either tower dive and chase after the kill (sometimes multiple towers), or back off. in LoL you will almost always back off, but in DotA you will almost always chase, and when that happens the running hero can turn the table with a well timed stun and finish you off instead. Also, every good gank will more often than not result in a tower being taken down, and thus able to pile on more pressure. In LoL, every death is not as punishing and quite often in the early stages of the game you will have the opportunity to regroup.

At the end of the day if you are a casual player LoL will most likely be the superior game, and the dedicated player will find DotA (2) much more rewarding.

Ah, another point in DotA 2: Team balance. LoL doesn't punish players as badly as DotA 2, but the team lineup can sometimes determine the winner even before the game starts.

Last edited: