• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ridiculous stock vcore on 3930k

why_sleep

System Name Corsair Drone
Processor Intel i7 3930k
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100 W/Noctua NF-F12's in push/pull
Memory 12 GB's Corsair Dominator GT @ 2000mhz
Video Card(s) evga gtx 470 superclocked edition
Storage some generic sata 3 drives in raid config
Display(s) Asus VW246H
Case NZXT Switch 810
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w
So I just put a 2011 rig together yesterday and was unpleasantly surprised to see cpu-z reading the vcore @ 1.304 bone stock...no changes have been made in bios at all. Have seen another thread where someone had a chip with an even higher stock vcore and returned it through intel's Performance Tuning Plan. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this? I have the tuning plan but am a bit hesitant to use it up in case something went wrong with the replacement chip down the line as it's one-time use only. Input appreciated, thanks guys & gals!

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Go into the bios and manually under volt the CPU until it starts to fail stress testing. If it works with less volts go that route. TBH if the heat isn't obnoxious I wouldn't worry about it for stock.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
CPU-Z doesn't give reliable volage readings on all boards.

Sounds like normal Turbo voltage on an ASUS though... 1.3 V is nothing for SB-E. If your voltage is not dropping on idle, and all cores are on the same multi(XMP enabled) that's why you got the high voltage, and this is perfectly normal. Both my 3960X adn 3820 get taht voltage with XMP enabled, but turn it off, the CPU runs @ 1.069 V. :roll:

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
try aida64, for proper volt readings.

why_sleep

Processor Intel i7 3930k
Display(s) Asus VW246H
Case NZXT Switch 810
Go into the bios and manually under volt the CPU until it starts to fail stress testing. If it works with less volts go that route. TBH if the heat isn't obnoxious I wouldn't worry about it for stock.

Just got out of the bios, managed to get it down around 1.25. Running linx right now, hoping it hangs in there...

why_sleep

Processor Intel i7 3930k
Display(s) Asus VW246H
Case NZXT Switch 810
CPU-Z doesn't give reliable volage readings on all boards.

Sounds like normal Turbo voltage on an ASUS though... 1.3 V is nothing for SB-E. If your voltage is not dropping on idle, and all cores are on the same multi(XMP enabled) that's why you got the high voltage, and this is perfectly normal. Both my 3960X adn 3820 get taht voltage with XMP enabled, but turn it off, the CPU runs @ 1.069 V. :roll:

Interesting...will double check the bios and see if I turned xmp on by accident. When I very first booted the system after building windows voltage was very low (as one would expect with speedstep bringing the clock speed down to 1.2ghz), around 1.1v or so. All of sudden the chip started pumping a steady 1.3v without much fluctuation.

why_sleep

Processor Intel i7 3930k
Display(s) Asus VW246H
Case NZXT Switch 810

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Just got out of the bios, managed to get it down around 1.25. Running linx right now, hoping it hangs in there...

Try 1.175 V or less. 1.25 V is still too high for stock, even if XMP is enabled. ;)

IF you DO have XMP enabled, and are having stability issues with lower CPU voltage, you might want to take the time to manually adjust memory subtimings according the the info offered by the ASUS SPD Information Tool in the BIOS, before going back to a higher CPU voltage. ASUS tend to not follow XMP profiles to the letter, for whatever reason, and I have even seen this lead to "no boot" situations, even though the ram and everything else is perfectly fine. It's worth noting that they tend to set timings bit looser than needed, but some modules do not like the looser timings, regardless.

Interesting...will double check the bios and see if I turned xmp on by accident. When I very first booted the system after building windows voltage was very low (as one would expect with speedstep bringing the clock speed down to 1.2ghz), around 1.1v or so. All of sudden the chip started pumping a steady 1.3v without much fluctuation.

The ASUS ROG boards tend to use custom Turbo profiles, so the votlage is raised sometimes even with XMP not enabled, so that all CPUs, even the bad ones, work well with the custom profile. ;) As Sneekypeet suggested, it's not a big deal, the voltage itself should be fine, as long as temps are kept in check. I run my 3820 @ 1.45 V 24/7, been a few months and it hasn't even degraded slightly.

why_sleep

Processor Intel i7 3930k
Display(s) Asus VW246H
Case NZXT Switch 810
Try 1.175 V or less. 1.25 V is still too high for stock, even if XMP is enabled. ;)

IF you DO have XMP enabled, and are having stability issues with lower CPU voltage, you might want to take the time to manually adjust memory subtimings according the the info offered by the ASUS SPD Information Tool in the BIOS, before going back to a higher CPU voltage. ASUS tend to not follow XMP profiles to the letter, for whatever reason, and I have even seen this lead to "no boot" situations, even though the ram and everything else is perfectly fine. It's worth noting that they tend to set timings bit looser than needed, but some modules do not like the looser timings, regardless.

The ASUS ROG boards tend to use custom Turbo profiles, so the votlage is raised sometimes even with XMP not enabled, so that all CPUs, even the bad ones, work well with the custom profile. ;) As Sneekypeet suggested, it's not a big deal, the voltage itself should be fine, as long as temps are kept in check. I run my 3820 @ 1.45 V 24/7, been a few months and it hasn't even degraded slightly.

XMP was disabled, though pushing the chip down to 1.2vcore garnered less than favorable results, system instantly shut down = ( tried raising the PLL a bit and downclocking the ram to 1333 but no luck, the chip just doesn't want to go there...

Will set the subtimings manually when I get home from work, as far as I could tell XMP is disabled completely, the ram's rated @ 2000mhz but I only have it at 1866 @ regular timings (9-10-9-25)