• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SWTOR free to play is coming

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
SWTOR is going to get Apparel Droids! ;)

Apparel+Dummies.jpg

LOTRO has been F2P for over a year now and overall it's been good IMO. The one major blemish though are those damn Apparel Dummies that were recently implemented. Click on them and you're taken to the Store where the entire cosmetic outfit can be purchased.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I knew this was going to happen. it's only a matter of time before EVE and WoW go F2P

I don't see either of those going F2P until they aren't on the top anymore. Like I said before, people are fine with paying for one MMO sub, but usually not fine with multiples. WoW and EVE don't really go for the same customer base and both are on top of their respective side. So anyone in their wake is going to be better off F2P.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
I knew this was going to happen. it's only a matter of time before EVE and WoW go F2P

I never see eve goin f2p. It has a great playerbase of more mature mmo gamers who are well entrenched in the game

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
I wish they would have made a SP sequel to the first 2 games.

I agree, a single player RPG would have been awesome because it would have been more focused and delivered a better gaming experience.

I liked this ...

So why are other games that use the subscription only model doing well? Hmmm ....

The problem wasn't that there was a subscription barrier keeping people out. It was that SWTOR isn't worth paying a monthly sub.

They failed to deliver on many of their promises, the game (until recently) was very poorly optimized which shut out many potential players.

Their servers can't cope with having a high population - you get lag in flashpoints, pvp/warzones and in operations. They try to blame individual players and their internet connections, yet the problem is server wide.
This problem will only get worse unless they upgrade their server hardware and bandwidth. And that likely won't happen because EA is aggressively cutting costs.

They ignored beta testers and paying customers who brought legitimate concerns to them for months at a time. This is 2 MMOs in a row where EA completely ignored their users until the SHTF.

They sat by idly as server populations died, and didn't offer transfers for months. By the time they did, it was too little, too late. They lost hundreds of thousands of players because they didn't want to lose face by offering transfers so early in the game's lifecycle.

The voice acting and class story lines are pretty much the only things that make SWTOR worth playing, and they will be giving those away free with the conversion to F2P.

Otherwise, it's just another last-gen clone MMO. It's basically a single player RPG with multiplayer bolted on and a subscription. And old, tired MMO game mechanics.

EA killed another MMO. It's like they have the reverse Midas touch.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
SWTOR is a good game. Not great or anything but its good. I had fun playing it but at the time I couldn't justify the monthly cost since I didn't have time to play it. Not to mention the server I was on was dead most of the time. Who likes playing a MMO without others to play with? Not I.

Now that it will be going f2p I will for sure play more. I'll just load it up and play once in awhile. It is a fun game if not at all original.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I never see eve goin f2p. It has a great playerbase of more mature mmo gamers who are well entrenched in the game

EvE is also one of the reasons when I see devs/pubs touting the F2P model I become leary about the game in question.

People are quite willing to pony up a subscription fee for a game they really like.
EvE is subscription based and all the expansions have been free (17 as of today with the release of Inferno).
WoW is subscription based and you have to pay for expansions, and people are still happy to pay.

IMO, there is no barrier to people using the subscription model.
You give people a free trial period (that required no personal or CC information) and let them try it.
If the game is awesome, they will pay to play it.
If the game is mediocre (or outright sucks), or lacks content, they won't be back ... but that's not the fault of the subscription model.
If a game does not appeal to a large enough audience, to keep enough people playing and paying, that too is not a fault of the subscription model.

EvE is a nitch market (MP 4X space sim), but over it's life they have strived to make it awesome for it's player base.
WoW has removed a lot of the frustration out of the MMO (compared to prior MMOs at the time) and made it widely appealing.

This is what a lot of MMO developers are missing. Not all IPs will make for a good MMO, but they jump on the "we can make millions with an MMO" bandwagon, produce a half assed game (or one with no staying power) and then wonder why it was epic fail. Obviously because it wasn't F2P !! :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll quit rambling.

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
SWTOR was meant to be an MMO that started out incredibly strong and got better along the way instead it started out strong and it was all downhill from there, it simply does not have enough interest/appeal to justify a $15 subscription per month in the same way that WoW does. Even simplistic(ish) games can justify a moderate subscription fee if there is enough interest, you don't need millions of paying subscribers to maintain a decent MMO as long as you give people enough to strive for and keep them interested beyond just a few bosses or milestones to reach. I blame the E3 trailers for SWTOR for making it seem much better than it was going to be.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
SWTOR was meant to be an MMO that started out incredibly strong and got better along the way instead it started out strong and it was all downhill from there, it simply does not have enough interest/appeal to justify a $15 subscription per month in the same way that WoW does. Even simplistic(ish) games can justify a moderate subscription fee if there is enough interest, you don't need millions of paying subscribers to maintain a decent MMO as long as you give people enough to strive for and keep them interested beyond just a few bosses or milestones to reach. I blame the E3 trailers for SWTOR for making it seem much better than it was going to be.

swtor pvp has such great promise, but they did the endgame pvp so horribly thats what ruined it for me