• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Borderlands 2 PhysX video

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
and again you miss MY point

Borderlands 2 with GPU PhysX off looks worse then most titles today also using CPU based physics

Borderlands 2 with GPU PhysX on looks roughly eqivalent to what was seen in UE3 map pack for the PPU and not much better.

To be fair I wasn't addressing your point, just the perceived evils of nVidia.

As for your point, I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet so I can't comment.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
true enough

but how many of those games use PhysX in a way thats fundamentally better than Havok etc?

Havok is one option many developers also use custom physics implementations Dice and Battlefield come to mind instantly

i could care less about software side

yes Havok has 200-300 games
yes PhysX has 300-400 games

Havok GPU accellerated 0
PhysX GPU accellerated 28

Havok GPU accellerated that the physics makes a difference 0
PhsyX GPU accellerated that the physics makes a difference 5

and again thats debatable as more than a few of the high class games that really make PhysX look appealing much of it can be done CPU side again Mafia 2 is a prime example some of the best Physics extras ive seen introduced via PhysX and 80-90% can be done CPU side.

my point is simple that most of the awesomeness PhysX brings to the table can indeed be done on the CPU and NVIDIA;s own software showed that in Mafia 2 which looks better than most PhysX titles in terms of whats going on.

Also dont put fucking words in my mouth newtekie i never said it wasnt popular. It is and for a reason doesnt change the fact GPU accellerated PhysX is still a damn gimmick and litterally is only amazing on a few titles that can be counted on a persons hands over the course of 6 god damn years 6 years for 28 titles again 11 of which used it decently well, but only 5 were amazing, and of the 5 well only a couple actually needed the GPU for it.

as for you FLumeister again how many PhysX games are amazing compared to Havok or other custom solutions by developers again i pointed out only 28 titles that use the extra features of them most are not amazing not even close its rather laughable. I want better Physics in my games not gimmick bullshit. lol

Don't forget hall of Havok titles are only for consoles. :p

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
To be fair I wasn't addressing your point, just the perceived evils of nVidia.

As for your point, I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet so I can't comment.

Don't forget hall of Havok titles are only for consoles. :p

Yea anyway no hard feelings it been fun, trolling PhysX threads and discussing its relevance never really gets old :toast:

as for Recus not quiet Havok is still extremely popular

PC wise lol altho i get what your saying it tends to be more console focused these days with PC titles tending to use more and more custom setups

but more up to date titles off the top of my head
Kingdoms Of Amalur Reckoning
Binary Domain
Saints Row The Third
Battlefield 3
The Witcher 2
Portal 2
StarCraft II
Stronghold 3
LA Noire

those are the most recent ones but more and more companies are making their own custom Physics engines

Blizzard comes to mind with Diablo III they started with Havok but moved to a custom engine.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
It's all cool fella, You make your purchase like you make your bed, then you lie in it and enjoy Borderlands 2 with the eye candy on. ;)

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea got the 7970 as i didnt want to wait on NVIDIA and the 3GB frame buffer was neccesary for 3D modeling work i do, but NVIDIA is still better supported in that regard just could wait any longer the 6670 i had as a back up was SOOOO SLOW lol. That and the GeForce cards are seriously crippled in some regards... wish nvidia would launch GK110 already damn it then i could at least have top tier performance AND get the proper vram amount and floating point etc performance. but Oh well it will come eventually then ill switch. But most for 3D apps not games. If NVIDIA would just push out PhysX across the board GPU wise to AMD make it agnostic via open CL something we could see a very nice increase in graphical fidelity through better Physics in general sadly will never happen. Mostly im just frustrated that the tech is here its possible but its going nowhere fast.

That said I wont be buying Borderlands 2 :toast: not my kind of game really well maybe it is i didnt care much for the first one but thats do to broken mechanics weapons etc and the feel of it just felt awkward for the tasks quests whatever.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Yea anyway no hard feelings it been fun, trolling PhysX threads and discussing its relevance never really gets old :toast:

as for Recus not quiet Havok is still extremely popular

PC wise lol altho i get what your saying it tends to be more console focused these days with PC titles tending to use more and more custom setups

but more up to date titles off the top of my head
Kingdoms Of Amalur Reckoning
Binary Domain
Saints Row The Third
Battlefield 3
The Witcher 2
Portal 2
StarCraft II
Stronghold 3
LA Noire

those are the most recent ones but more and more companies are making their own custom Physics engines

Blizzard comes to mind with Diablo III they started with Havok but moved to a custom engine.

But Havok games can't swank richer stuff unlike GPU accelerated Physx. Most of them has same physics, ragdoll...

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea and thats about all Software PhysX is your late the thread and the argument im done here

in software mode almost all Physics engines accomplish the same thing there isnt much of a different between PhysX or Havok only time you see a huge difference is GPU wise on PC and again 28 games of which 5 were pretty damn amazing as i said earlier. Granted doesnt have to be that way open CL from NVIDIA would open the way to far more amazing things on PC but just wont happen.

Time to eat friggin starving thinking BBQ bacon royal cheese burger with onion rings mmmmmm

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2Ă—BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The 8800GTS 320/640 definitely have enough power to do the PhysX calculations if they are used as a dedicated card. Though I would go with at least a G92 based card simply because the G80 cards use way too much power, even just sitting idle, to warrant leaving in a system for a dedicated card. Granted, if you have any halfway decent modern nVidia card, having a dedicated card is a total waste anyway.

bear in mind its a ATI Graphics Engine with a Nvidia Physics Engine, is the configuration i was getting at less the newer lower model boards can handle physics, Example a GF 550

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Smoke, Debris Cloth etc all done in Mafia II on the CPU

No they weren't, when left to the CPU alone the smoke and debris was next to none existant, and there were no cloth effect. The jackets people wore were completely rigid when hardware accelerated PhysX was off, their legs would go right through them when they walked, they flowed naturally when hardware accelerated PhysX was turned on.

PhysX is better, hands down in terms of support

but that doesnt change the fact that Borderlands 2 WITHOUT physX is bs, they could have done more with it and you damn well know it, it was purposefully kept bare minimum to make GPU PhysX look better and that is where i have a problem. It makes hte base game worse on purpose to sell more hardware via Gearbox getting a paycheck from Nvidia its rather sad really im not saying i EXPECT CPU PhysX to be as good as GPU PhysX but it goes without saying in this situation Software side was purposefully held back by Gearbox to get a check from Nvidia. Thus you end up with a base game that is worse than it could have been, in favor of a few extra GPU sales.

Many games today offer amazing physics on the CPU that look just about as good as what im seeing Borderlands 2 put out on the GPU and thats just depressing.

essentially the main problem i have is PhysX could be great but purposefully holding back software in favor of GPU for no real reason is just terrible for users but then most users will buy it on console and thus all of this is irrelevent to the bottom line anyway.

Maybe in 10 years when consoles dont suck so hard and properly do acelerated Physics we might finally move forward to something better.

No no no, as I've already said. Show me a game with interactive cloth physics running on the CPU. Show me a game with large amounts of volumetric debris running on the CPU. Show me a game with large amounts of volumetric smoke running on the CPU.

They aren't purposefully holding back software PhysX, that is just what it is capable of when running on the CPU, that is what every engine is capable of when running on the CPU.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
im not saying GPU physics sucks i do indeed want it, what i dont want s games fucking crippled on purpose to make it look better for marketing.

n

This!

Only less angry.

No they weren't, when left to the CPU alone the smoke and debris was next to none existant, and there were no cloth effect. The jackets people wore were completely rigid when hardware accelerated PhysX was off, their legs would go right through them when they walked, they flowed naturally when hardware accelerated PhysX was turned on.

You could change a few config files and get it all running on the cpu.

On my old 1055t at 3.6 I could handle medium phsyx.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix

No no no, as I've already said. Show me a game with interactive cloth physics running on the CPU. Show me a game with large amounts of volumetric debris running on the CPU. Show me a game with large amounts of volumetric smoke running on the CPU.

They aren't purposefully holding back software PhysX, that is just what it is capable of when running on the CPU, that is what every engine is capable of when running on the CPU.

okay so whats this then?
http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia-ii-demo-tweaking-physx-performance/

again it can be done CPU side and still looks better than Borderlands 2 in that regard i averager about 40-50 fps with PhysX on medium with NPC cloth off aka Vito and a few key NPCs i leave it on along with all other effects. and thats using the benchmark real time in game High can be used as thats what i completed the game on.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
okay so whats this then?
http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia-ii-demo-tweaking-physx-performance/

again it can be done CPU side and still looks better than Borderlands 2 in that regard i averager about 40-50 fps with PhysX on medium with NPC cloth off aka Vito and a few key NPCs i leave it on along with all other effects. and thats using the benchmark real time in game High can be used as thats what i completed the game on.

Read the sources from the article again, without a dedicated card the cloth is done on the CPU, and the performance is absolutely horrible, hence the entire article you linked to is about minimizing the cloth effects to improve performance. With a dedicated card the cloth is rendered on the GPU and the performance issues go away. Why the developers of the game chose to do this, I don't know, since a single GPU is powerful enough to render the cloth.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Read the sources from the article again, without a dedicated card the cloth is done on the CPU, and the performance is absolutely horrible, hence the entire article you linked to is about minimizing the cloth effects to improve performance. With a dedicated card the cloth is rendered on the GPU and the performance issues go away. Why the developers of the game chose to do this, I don't know, since a single GPU is powerful enough to render the cloth.

They done it to cripple CPU performance :laugh:

Simply by adding a draw distance or similar solution to simulations would of sorted these problems, people that you couldn't even see properly would still have simulated clothing lol

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
They done it to cripple CPU performance :laugh:

Simply by adding a draw distance or similar solution to simulations would of sorted these problems, people that you couldn't even see properly would still have simulated clothing lol

I think that is part of the Low/Med/High PhysX settings. The lower the setting, the less people have realistic cloth.

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
FOR FUCK'S SAKE...so I expect this is going to be a stuttering-fest just like Arkham City on anything above the "PhysX off" setting, unless you buy Nshittia's top of the range single card or add 150W+ to your power consumption with a last gen card for PhysX? To see some debris and cloth effects :wtf:...

Probably going to avoid this game until the Steam sales hit at 80% off (or if I get it free). Not worth the hassle now with this bullshit.

Last edited:
Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
FOR FUCK'S SAKE...so I expect this is going to be a stuttering-fest just like Arkham City on anything above the "PhysX off" setting, unless you buy Nshittia's top of the range single card or add 150W+ to your power consumption with a last gen card for PhysX? To see some debris and cloth effects :wtf:...

Probably going to avoid this game until the Steam sales hit at 80% off (or if I get it free). Not worth the hassle now with this bullshit.

Here comes raped kid.

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
I think it's a shame when game developers do this.

Indeed, I don't see any reason for Physx to be locked to Nvidia cards it is not some all powerful way to create realistic physics that could not be done on AMD cards it simply comes down to money and Nvidia has alot more to play with than AMD :/

Guys, why not just pick up an older 8xxx/9xxx/2xx/4xx/5xx series card and use the hacked driver?
I've been using a GTS250(a bit overkill but I got it for a great price) for a long time now for this exact reason. When i played through Mirror's edge the first time, it didn't really leave a lasting impression. Just for kicks I replayed through it after getting the 250 and was floored. Since then I've tried many titles(as many as I can find) with PhysX off, on software mode, and on Hardware mode. Metro 2033, Borderlands, both Batman: Arkham games, Sacred 2, and UT3. All of them have significantly more eye-candy when PhysX is enabled, and although at first I thought it was just to look good, after playing with it enabled then disabling it again, I just can't go back to not using it. It almost adds another level of immersion into the experience, and I consistently found myself enjoying the game more with PhysX enabled.

I do agree it's BS that the Nvidiots keep PhysX locked down to their own hardware, but there is a simple workaround if you're willing to put the effort in, and it doesn't take a powerful dedicated card to run PhysX with great results. Some of the cards on the list can be had for under $40, even less if buying second-hand. An 8600 or 9600 card is more than enough to run PhysX in all it's glory.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

So the effects aren't worth the performance penalty, but it is unthinkable to just turn them off? That makes a lot of sense.:rolleyes:

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"