• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z77 MPower preview

System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
MSI Testing Center - the MTC is only on the backs of pre-release and review samples...

The sticker corresponds to a chart that is supposed to come with the MB and neither of the MSI Z77 MPower boards had the sticker or the laminated chart.

I'm not making this stuff up. Take a look at this video from the Newegg review.
Newegg TV: MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ATX M...

Also Alex from MSI has stated the 24 hour Prim95 testing on a few youtube videos he has done for the Z77 Mpower.

I think the ugly kinks in the SuperPipe are unacceptable and are a result of poor craftsmanship.

In a high end main board like this part of the reason you pay more money is to have higher quality craftsmanship.

I returned the MB to NewEGG and was able to pick up another an I was let down again. I didn't see the 24 hour prime95 sticker on the back of the MB and there was no Prime95 testing chart. Lastly Superpipes had some minor kinks. 2 kinks on 1 90 degree bend and 1 kink on the other. The kinks were much smaller but still noticeable to the eye.

I did some google searching for photos of this MB and I found a few photos of the SuperPipes with slight kinks but nothing like what I experienced with the first one I received.

Would be nice to get the SuperPipe with proper bends like some I have seen. SuperPipe looks much better without the kinks. I spent about 3 hours in nasty traffic today getting this swapped out at Newegg will call pick up. I had my 2 year old son with me. Was a little tired when I got home so i haven't had time to set up this MB yet but will soon be working on getting the 2nd board up and running.

Last edited:
MSI Testing Center - the MTC is only on the backs of pre-release and review samples...
Sorry I mis-typed in haste... that is Media Testing Center - hence why it is on the boards sent to reviewers/media and on the pre-release samples

I was told every single Z77 MPower board is hand-tested.

If MTC doesn't test each Mpower board, then what's the point?

Also, yes, definitely possible it's just shipping damage, but that doesn't mean it should now be replaced. I personally would not accept damage if any sort to any products I purchase, no matter whether it was from the factory, from the store, or from shipping.
please see correction above - MEDIA Testing center. If you have reviewed any MSI stuff in the past you would notice the MTC stuff that comes with it - pamphlet and sticker. Though I am saying when he says dud it gives the reader the understanding that it is not working. In this case it was visually not up to snuff, a decent difference than a product not working.

The sticker corresponds to a chart that is supposed to come with the MB and neither of the MSI Z77 MPower boards had the sticker or the laminated chart.

I'm not making this stuff up. Take a look at this video from the Newegg review.
Newegg TV: MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ATX M...

Also Alex from MSI has stated the 24 hour Prim95 testing on a few youtube videos he has done for the Z77 Mpower.

I think the ugly kinks in the SuperPipe are unacceptable and are a result of poor craftsmanship.

In a high end main board like this part of the reason you pay more money is to have higher quality craftsmanship.

I returned the MB to NewEGG and was able to pick up another an I was let down again. I didn't see the 24 hour prime95 sticker on the back of the MB and there was no Prime95 testing chart. Lastly Superpipes had some minor kinks. 2 kinks on 1 90 degree bend and 1 kink on the other. The kinks were much smaller but still noticeable to the eye.

I did some google searching for photos of this MB and I found a few photos of the SuperPipes with slight kinks but nothing like what I experienced with the first one I received.

Would be nice to get the SuperPipe with proper bends like some I have seen. SuperPipe looks much better without the kinks. I spent about 3 hours in nasty traffic today getting this swapped out at Newegg will call pick up. I had my 2 year old son with me. Was a little tired when I got home so i haven't had time to set up this MB yet but will soon be working on getting the 2nd board up and running.

I see that again you believe that there is a sticker that denotes prime95 testing - as I stated earlier this is for media samples. I see the video that newegg made and obviously the guy needs some more training as the materials are labeled Media Testing Center. I see where this can be misleading due to his video and the videos, and I will be talking to the US office and HQ to remind Newegg about this. What Alex said is right, All the boards go through the testing (they will not have a sticker denoting this). I have MTC materials going back for years and this is not a retail feature. That is what I am trying to drive hope here that you aren't missing anything with what I have seen in your picture. As you can see from my pictures it is not there as I don't show it since it is for the tester and media person that it is given to

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If you have reviewed any MSI stuff in the past you would notice the MTC stuff that comes with it - pamphlet and sticker

I have received samples from MSI in the past, and I received neither. Nor do I get "Review guides".

LuLz. NO point in being a reviewer if i need a review guide.:laugh:

Just because YOU get that stuff, doesn't mean every reviewer does. :p

My last sample:

I don't see any MTC sticker?

Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
I don't see any MTC sticker?

I don't know about this "MTC" sticker. I thought the sticker was only on the Z77 Mpower and it was there to indicate that it had been primed95 stable for 24 hours with a liquid cooled i7-3770k at 4.6GHZ.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I don't know about this "MTC" sticker. I thought the sticker was only on the Z77 Mpower and it was there to indicate that it had been primed95 stable for 24 hours with a liquid cooled i7-3770k at 4.6GHZ.

That is what I thought as well, but I could be wrong. TGE indicates it's just on reviewer samples, which could very well be correct, but it is not something I have seen ever before. Admittedly, MSI doesn't send me samples very often, but my Z68 MSI board sample definitely didn't have one.

Contacted MSI today and was able to communicate with Alex through another employee and I was told that Newegg made a mistake on the video and they have edited with a disclosure to show that the MB doesn't come with any Prime95 testing documentation. Newegg TV: MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ATX M...

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
For $220 its really worth considering, Even my own Z68 board was around the same price so Id be more then willing to part with that kind of cash. Sadly, Knowing the UK the price will most likely come to around $270 or more and that puts it above what im willing to pay as I dont need the whole plethora of tweak features that other enthusiasts have nerdgasms over. though I really dig the layout of the board and it gives plenty of space to run dual GPUs, having so few Sata III ports does seriously put me off though.

For $220 its really worth considering, Even my own Z68 board was around the same price so Id be more then willing to part with that kind of cash. Sadly, Knowing the UK the price will most likely come to around $270 or more and that puts it above what im willing to pay as I dont need the whole plethora of tweak features that other enthusiasts have nerdgasms over. though I really dig the layout of the board and it gives plenty of space to run dual GPUs, having so few Sata III ports does seriously put me off though.

$240/149 pounds: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?sortby=&groupid=&search=mpower

I'm finally enjoying this MB. :)

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

If im cheeky enough and say that im doing a new custom build (not a mod mind you) could you perhaps give me one for free? :D:D Maybe with a few of your 670s or 680s? Am looking to really put some cash into my next system and watercool the whole thing cuz my 6970s are total room heaters even when theres enough of a breeze blowing through my room.

If you could pull something off for me, I would name my kids after you!

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
well at least I know if i pick up any MSI stuff (which im more inclined to now since we have an active rep) that if shit goes wrong I can either come and have a moan at some MSI reps.

I hope to have 'almost' MSI everything with my next build... so hopefully you guys wont shaft me on warranty.

Whats the Euro warranty policy about people removing the stock coolers??? Im most likely gonna buy a stock reference card and my own waterblock to OC it as the ones that come with waterblocks are so over priced.

Whats the Euro warranty policy about people removing the stock coolers??? Im most likely gonna buy a stock reference card and my own waterblock to OC it as the ones that come with waterblocks are so over priced.
As long as you don't damage your card in the process (like ripping off a chip in the process, denting a cap, running a screwdriver through a trace) the warranty isn't voided.

It's the EU after all, people have rights :)

Upon return of the board, it is inspected for damages. once those guys have to pull out a little white sticker with a red arrow, it means you're warranty is null and void.. don't be a guy with a red arrow.. please.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's the EU after all, people have rights :)

lol, tell that to XFX and sapphire who say it voids warranty if you take the stock cooler off. but allow you to do it if you are from the North Americas/Canada

I can never understand why theres different policies for different regions.

Anyone using this board? How do you like it or what have you heard from those that do. Trying to get an idea about the general thoughts on this board for a possible update :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Anyone using this board? How do you like it or what have you heard from those that do. Trying to get an idea about the general thoughts on this board for a possible update :)

Needs more cowbell.

:eek:

Got some ram clocking for us to see, TGE? Post up some scores, maybe I'll join in.;) I'm currently evaluating what board I'll be using for memory reviews.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Reviewed it. Love it. Solid board for the price. Took my memory to 2800Mhz (IMC limit - not in that review, for something else).

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Needs more cowbell.

:eek:

Got some ram clocking for us to see, TGE? Post up some scores, maybe I'll join in.;) I'm currently evaluating what board I'll be using for memory reviews.

I can get some done with Hynix based memory - still needing to get more PSC and BBSE

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I can get some done with Hynix based memory - still needing to get more PSC and BBSE

I got the Corsair 2666 C10 16 Gb kit, and a G.Skill 2666 C11 kit to try. Also the Intel Extreme Masters 2133 C11 kit and Viper 2133 C11 kits to play with. Gotta do some quick testing wit ha few boards this weekend, pick one, and start getting these memory reviews done. Would have been KILLER to have the matching Avexir kit for the MPower board, but such is life.

Any suggestions on BIOS?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This is a pretty solid guide for overclocking memory by IC. Check that out to aid you in your endeavors. :)

EDIT: Crap, its in our team discussion lounge, I cant post it...LOL!

EDIT2: Here is another though that can help -> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705934

That's one thing the clocking community needs to change overall is keeping "tweaking secrets". Every enthusiast should have access to all the available info pertaining to their own product.

Just saying.

:p

That said, I'll log in and check it out. ;)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I hear you on the secrecy thing... it is what it is though.

And I dont think that you can get to that link either as it is in the benching teams private lounge.. sorry...

EDIT: One thing to add about the secrecy thing... if you take the tweaks a team/person learns and publishes all of them, then it comes down to a money/binning game even more. So though I dont like secrets, I dislike the outcome of sharing them even worse.

Last edited: