• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game Content, The Good, Bad and Ugly.

Benetanegia

a big sword feels like a stick that has 2 animations. it doesn't feel good when you make contact. you wave it several times at enemy legs until they ragdoll. the critical hits are automatic and can be annoying when you just want to trek through a dungeon. the same battle music. the same voice actor. the follower system wasn't done well so you end up not using them because they get in your way.

the combat in Fallout is different because your dealing with mostly projectile weapons and you have to manually trigger VATS.

if some characters died in Mass Effect they are not even in Mass Effect 2 or 3. we're talking about decisions people made 5 years ago. in Mass Effect 2 your Shepard can die and if you try to import that save in Mass Effect 3 you have to start a new character.

when you become a Spectre in Mass Effect and Captain Anderson is like you should check out these three planets. if you don't rescue Liara first she has extra dialog when you meet her. she says something like "hello? are you a hallucination? what took you so long" the game even recognizes that lol

THAT'S AWESOME.

in Skyrim it's like yeah, yeah the world can wait.

Gimmick.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64

But isn't that the underlying theme to any game? The "gimmick", The suspension of disbelief, The Hook. We play games as a diversion and for entertainment. They all have to have a "gimmick" to get us interested/want to buy/play.

Your "gimmick" is OBVIOUSLY much different than Bumblebee and I's where ME's "gimmick" is what makes us want to play/enjoy it ;) Hey I have put plenty of hours into Skyrim too, but ME just grabs me in a way that Skyrim just can't.

HL2, Skyrim and a bunch of others don't feed you the story as if it was a movie, they let you be part of it and learn about the lore and story like you would in real life, by interacting with the world.

AFAIK hl2 didn't have any strong story behind it. And I couldn't say that it was full of interaction either. :confused: You just shoot the things in the face and that's it. Didn't play skyrim so can't tell...

Game where you walk around and learn many things about the world is Deus Ex: The Conspiracy. This game doesn't have any cutscenes at all (only one when game starts and one cutscene of three - depends on your choice - when game ends). You read newspapers, books, you hack into computers, you can eavesdrop on conversations and so on. This game is very interactive, long and has a great replay value because you can make choices.

Another good example is Metroid. You can scan whatever you see and you get a lot of information. And this game is full of exploration.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I never did understand why hl2 was so popular. It was a decent game but I didn't get into it.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Different games (their style, gameplay, etc.) will always appeal to different people. That's just a given as we are all different.

Another facter, though, is the differing of appeal "over time". What may have appeal greatly to a gamer at any given point in time will most likely change as they develop a taste for something different. This can occur over a period of years, or in just a few days/weeks depending on the person and how much they enjoy and play a game in any given genre.

For instance, I put a couple hundred hours into Skyrim and then stopped. I was not bored with the game (as there is still a ton of content I've not seen) but grew tired of the same gameplay. I moved on to Diablo III and the same thing happened. I'm now playing EvE and I'm sure it will happen again.
I find all of these games excellent, but you can only do something for so long before you say, "GAH ... I want something different."

Except for tower defense games. I love tower defense games and never grow tired of them. :D

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I have to say because you haven't played any further than the first. You would be VERY surprised at how many of those "side quests" and the characters you met you thought were insignificant suddenly became important again in 3. As I said before the amount of people I came across in ME3 that even I thought were insignificant reappeared because I saved/helped them. Some I had to think hard about who they were(they certainly remembered me for what I had done) The Rachni example I gave originally is still relevant there. Because I "saved" her WAY back in the 1st she played a significant role in my ME3 world. Meet anybody from Morrowmind in Skyrim? ;)

So the game gets good in the THIRD installation? No thanks.

Let's see if I can make my point clear. I love stories, good stories as much as audiophiles love listening to music. So I read a lot of books.

Saying that X game has good story, characters, etc is like claiming you like music and you listen it on Youtube. Simply no. With Mass Effect and any other game for that matter, story is just a half-baked rehash or just plain rip-off of a better story, probably written 30+ years ago. Just go read it!

To me the only thing that makes a game story good (more like pasable) is the way it's fed to me. ME does it as if it was a movie, a bad movie and movies themselves are already bad enough.

HL2, Skyrim and a bunch of others don't feed you the story as if it was a movie, they let you be part of it and learn about the lore and story like you would in real life, by interacting with the world.

What kind of games are you playing if you say there are no games with good story and characters? Again, go play The Longest Journey. Then play Deus Ex, and then play Thief 2 (which is the best in the series imo).

And the problem with Skyrim is that the story isn't interesting, and the characters are very uninteresting as well. I'm not sure how you can say ME is a half baked rehash and then take Skyrim as a good example. HL2 I actually agree on, even if it you have no room for anything. It's ironical a head on FPS has one of the best character developments in gaming.'

AFAIK hl2 didn't have any strong story behind it. And I couldn't say that it was full of interaction either. :confused: You just shoot the things in the face and that's it. Didn't play skyrim so can't tell...

Which is why it's so strange. HL2 is full of life compared to most things, even if it has no interaction.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Well No Frick I wouldn't say that ME3 is the "best" one but everything you did in the first 2(If you had your save)had some significant consequences and events in ME3.

I mean if you just started a fresh game in ME3 entire story arcs would just not be there. It definitely reminded you of your actions from the previous and the outcome of them. They weren't just "Go here, Do this" events when if you happened to save someones life in that situation they may have seemed insignificant then but you come across them in ME3 and they offer you help/ bonus's and even another arc to the story.

HL2 is full of life compared to most things, even if it has no interaction.
I don't see it. The only character there who is full of life and not boring is Alyx, at least she brought some difference. Other than that I didn't find anything particularly memorable there. HL1 at least got some big bosses, Xen and big guns.

Benetanegia

And the problem with Skyrim is that the story isn't interesting, and the characters are very uninteresting as well. I'm not sure how you can say ME is a half baked rehash and then take Skyrim as a good example.

Because I didn't say Skyrim has any good story, just that the way it's "told" is better. LIke I said no game has good story, much less innovative, the difference is in the way the game immerses you in the story, in which HL2 excels IMO. Other than that HL2 is still the typical alien invasion story, nothing new to it either. And ES games also immerse you in the story without giving you lectures about a world that you (the character) should already know. Whatever you need to know you'll learn it just by looking at your surroundings, reading the eventual book, talking to anyone on the street...

ME relies on cutscenes and the encyclopedia to tell the story both of which destroy the immersion and makes it hard to believe and get involved. Plus nothing is new nor great as some are saying. Ashley is a copycat of Aeryn Sun from Farscape, Kaidan is Max Guevara from Dark Angel but in male (or any of the X5) and so on. But they don't go as deep as the characters they are coppying, so nothing interesting about them. Skyrim is not better, but it has no pretentions and the game is not about that anyway. ME is pretentious and those characters and stories are supposed to be the core of the game. Having to go through all of those personal stories, full of cliches that have been used to death, only so that you can get a mission is absolutely boring. So in my eyes it fails hard and can only attract people who have very little culture when it comes to stories (books, movies).

What kind of games are you playing if you say there are no games with good story and characters? Again, go play The Longest Journey. Then play Deus Ex, and then play Thief 2 (which is the best in the series imo).

Played already. The longest Journey was very good tbh, but that was so long ago... And the other is pretty much the same. And they were not so good, again a rehash of a better story. It's like movie remakes, some people go all crazy with some of them, saying how good they are, but people who have seen the original know how much better the original was.

Last edited:

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
And the problem with Skyrim is that the story isn't interesting, and the characters are very uninteresting as well. .

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Skyrim is one of the best games ever made despite that.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Skyrim is one of the best games ever made despite that.

Well, no imo, but I shouldn't get started on that again. See my earlier posts if you want. :)

Anyway, I have high hopes for The Cave and Wasteland 2, regarding content.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
This is where Bethsoft falls short. The storyline in Skyrim (and Fallout 3 for that matter) is just a sideproduct, and it's not made that good. The dialouge (which carry the storyline) is generally speaking pretty stupid. Yes the ES universe has a ton of interesting stuff, but it's all relegated to the background, and hunting butterflies for wings and trying to climb mountains with a horse while turtles snap at your feet is the foreground. And that bugs me. In a game where you can do "anything", the specifics and fine detail is pushed away. But credit where it's due, Skyrim would've been a better game if they included a hardcore mode, you know when you have to eat and sleep etc. Now it's just a bunch of stuff to do but you don't gain anything by doing it, except levels, but when there's nothing to do other than randomly explore and fight of wolfs that keep attacking you (and the occasional dragon fight) it gets rather pointless. Yes you can shout, and the shouts are pretty cool, but to what end? The world is so open it feels cramped and pointless. There's no effort to anything, except grinding (which shouldn't exist in a SP game and anyway it's not a real effort), it's an empty shell. You're pretty much a God, and that is not a good way to do these kinds of games.

You want a hardcore mode to increase the grind and make it even more apparent that you're ordinary?

I played FO3 and NV before Skyrim, but never played an ES before, and a few things that worried me about Skyrim was the combat and the difficulty, and for me, combat is very good....as for difficulty, not as good, but it took me 40-45hrs before I felt invincible, as such, I installed a difficulty enhancing mod from steam, and played it again.

I'm waiting on a big overhaul/game changing mod before I play again, but that'll mean 3 playthru's for me, and the last one might be the best.

As for story, it could certainly be better, but it wasn't utter crap, and these type of games seem more about adventure, exploration, leveling up and questing than a final punchline.

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
Freespace 2.

The way you were spoon fed story and fluff from the very start. And then it escalates and escalates into an almighty crescendo. It's one of the few games where cut scenes were never skipped, and you sat and watched every video.

The voice acting was also pretty good for the most part, there are some heartfelt moments when the commander of the NTF Iceni starts telling you about how he feels about the whole war, sacrifices and the aims of his whole mission.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

/claps

Last edited by a moderator:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
YAY Mordin!

I think Bumblebee this would be the one you were looking for ;)

:clap:

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
the drugged volus set the bar tho :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Fear the Volus!:roll:

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
I totally agree with you on this one. Games nowadays are just made for the sake of making one and making money. I compare games to modern storybooks since to be honest do kids today pick up a storybook about princesses and same crap and read through them? they're more likely to grab a controller and mash away turning them to rotten spoiled brats.

If a game delivers an amazing story, with the right amount of content, that would be a great buy.

We call this an ever increasing lack of discipline.

Benetanegia

OMG I finally bought and started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Ok. I can almost take back what I said about ME's method of delivering the story (emphasis on almost tho). It now probably sits in the mid-range of what I'd consider good story delivery. DX:HR now takes the place of the worst that I can remember. OMFG I just lost 20 minutes of my life watching a useless cutscene with no control over where to look, allowing me to view only +/-10 degrees. That's about the worst and immersion killing method I can think of. If you want to make a cutscene make a cutscene, but don't introduce a 20 min long scene where the player has absolutely no control over where to move and look at. It's like putting a candy in front of a baby's nose and never give it to him.

It's so much worse because I just finished playing Black-Mesa. A perfect example, versus the worst one.

I'm going to have dinner now, hoping to regain enough energy to go play the game again. I know the game is good, I just can't see me tolerating that shit for any longer, so I hope that the 20 mins on the "intro" are the only ones. The way it started in the room* really tricked me into believing I was about to have a great "intro scene" such as the ones in BM and Valve games. I really thought I would be able to roam those good looking laboratories exploring and learning about what's being done there, etc. Not a chance. Big dissapointment. I don't remember original Deus Ex being anything like this shit, but it's been so long that I don't remeber much.

*how I could do "what I wanted" despite options being so limited there, the chick waiting and calling me, I could see the laboratory down there...

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
What makes a game good is a combination of game play, immersion(graphics), and plot. Game play is the necessary one, because without it you are practically watching a movie.
Good game play + good plot = good game
Good game play + good graphics = good game
Good game play + good plot + good graphics = Mind blowing good game.

An individuals definition of good may vary.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
You want a hardcore mode to increase the grind and make it even more apparent that you're ordinary?

The grinding wouldn't increase, but you would have to be a lot more careful when going out in the wild. Hardcore mode wouldn't increase difficulty as such, just add more elements to the game. What do you think grinding is? To me it's doing the same thing over and over again, and a hardcore mode wouldn't really affect that at all.

Ok. I can almost take back what I said about ME's method of delivering the story (emphasis on almost tho). It now probably sits in the mid-range of what I'd consider good story delivery. DX:HR now takes the place of the worst that I can remember. OMFG I just lost 20 minutes of my life watching a useless cutscene with no control over where to look, allowing me to view only +/-10 degrees. That's about the worst and immersion killing method I can think of. If you want to make a cutscene make a cutscene, but don't introduce a 20 min long scene where the player has absolutely no control over where to move and look at. It's like putting a candy in front of a baby's nose and never give it to him.

It's so much worse because I just finished playing Black-Mesa. A perfect example, versus the worst one.

I'm going to have dinner now, hoping to regain enough energy to go play the game again. I know the game is good, I just can't see me tolerating that shit for any longer, so I hope that the 20 mins on the "intro" are the only ones. The way it started in the room* really tricked me into believing I was about to have a great "intro scene" such as the ones in BM and Valve games. I really thought I would be able to roam those good looking laboratories exploring and learning about what's being done there, etc. Not a chance. Big dissapointment. I don't remember original Deus Ex being anything like this shit, but it's been so long that I don't remeber much.

*how I could do "what I wanted" despite options being so limited there, the chick waiting and calling me, I could see the laboratory down there...

It was a while ago since I played it, but I don't remember it being that bad. And an intro is an intro, the game isn't "on" until after that.

Benetanegia

It was a while ago since I played it, but I don't remember it being that bad. And an intro is an intro, the game isn't "on" until after that.

It IS that bad. The character moves like on rails and you can only vary your view a few degrees, plus I think if you stop "pushing" the mouse, the camera goes back to a certain position, so it feels like fighting to regain some control. It's garbage. And the worst thing is that there is absolutely no reason to do it that way. Like I said I hope it doesn't happen more or too often, because I'll through the digital download out the window and never look back.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Deus Ex Human Revolution set a precedent.. the first and probably only game to ever outsource all it's boss fights to another developer haha

Ok. I can almost take back what I said about ME's method of delivering the story (emphasis on almost tho). It now probably sits in the mid-range of what I'd consider good story delivery. DX:HR now takes the place of the worst that I can remember. OMFG I just lost 20 minutes of my life watching a useless cutscene with no control over where to look, allowing me to view only +/-10 degrees.

It was full of useless dialogues which added zero sense/interest to the plot which wasn't so great in the first place. Many dialogues were built on circular references. I wonder who writes that stuff. :confused: I didn't like collision system it was glitched and enemy ai was ridiculously predictable (they are always busy with their pda/smartphones whatever, it looked unreal).
Game has some pros: hacking system is quite good and weapon upgrades are good too.

My verdict: Deus Ex: The Conspiracy beats the hell outta HR anytime.

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
la la la no spoilers. I am on the first dues ex and loving it.