• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with 6950: games freezes for few seconds

autior

System Name Yessir
Processor Intel Sandy Bridge i5 2500k
Motherboard AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
Cooling Stock
Memory 2 x Corsair Low Profile 4GB (1600Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr 3 OC Edition
Storage Western Digital Black Caviar 750GB (7200 RPM)
Display(s) Philips 17"
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Edition
Hi guys, I have this strange problem and I don't know what to do to solve it: when I play a game, sometimes the game freezes for few seconds and then 3 things can happen:

• The game return to Desktop and Windows say that Aero has been reloaded (or something like that). The game is stil playable from the point where it has forze.
  • Same as before, but with a message from ATI Catalyst about the drivers that have been reloaded.
  • The game just continue from where it has stopped.

I have tried to reinstall the drivers but the problem persist. Actually my VGA is an MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr III OC Edition, and I'm using that with stock frequencies (and no BIOS with shaders unlocked neither). My CPU is a 2500k, the mobo is an Asrock Z68 Xtreme Gen 3, the PSU a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W and the Hard Disk a WD Black Caviar 750GB (by the way, HDTune say that the HDD have no bad blocks). My os is Windows 7 x64. The last time that I had this problem was playing "Might&Magic Heroes VI" yesterday (if I remember right, in background I was running uTorrent, Microsoft Security Essentials, Comodo Firewall and probably jDownloader), but it happened with many games.

I have used OCCT, Furmark and Ungine to stress the card for 1-2 hours, but it pass the test with no freezes (and I don't belive that the problem is related with the card temperature, because I play at a really low res - 1280x1024 - and the case is actually cool - Corsair 650D, stock fans).

Someone ever had this kind of problem? How can I solve it? It's an hw or sw thing? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

autior

System Name Yessir
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Philips 17"
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) On board
Ok, so yesterday I tried some things:
  • Tested the RAM with Memtest, I did 2 passes and I got no errors.
  • Uninstalled the drivers with Atiman Uninstaller and reinstalled the last ones (CCC 12.8).
  • Checked that Directx was already to the last version.
  • I downloaded Crystal Disk Info to check the HDD, and it say that's good.

Then I tried to play the same game with in same condition of last time (Might & Magic Heroes VI, all details on High, resolution 1280*1024, uTorrent and Comodo Firewall as programs on background), and sadly it frooze again.

Now I should try the game without the programs in background to check if they are the source of my problems, and if not, what else can I try? Actually the video card is still in warranty, so it isn't really a problem if I have to change that, but I just wanna be sure that it's an hw issue.

EDIT: I tried to launch the game without any program in background and with GPU-Z and RealTemp: the game froze in either way (the average temp was 59°, with a maximum of 68°). I'll ask for the RMA so, and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

sobol

Unfortunately same here. First time I've noticed was 2 weeks ago.
I've played new XCOM and I though it's broken game.
Bought original and the same happen :/
Then I've tried Crysis and same again, but this time I'm sure the game didn't behave like that before.

I've started looking on forums and another guy with on steam XCOM forum with 6900 series has the same problem.

So far I've replaced all thermal stripes tape on the graphic card.
Applied new paste on GPU and cleaned all vents on radiator.
I thought that maybe it's recent drivers problem and ATI's mistake.
Went back to 12.02 which worked fine before but still the same hanging/back to desktop problem.

It should be noted that I've modded my 6950 into 6970.
Restoring back to 6950 doesn't help either.
Autior Is yours been running modded too?

Sig
INTEL Q6600 G0 3.6 - 1.3875V - TR120 BLACK + S-FLEX SFF21E
4x2048 XP2-8000 Mushkin Redline EM@500 5-5-5 2.1V
ASUS MAXIMUS II P45 FORMULA
ASUS RADEON 6950 to 6970 MOD
SAMSUNG 2TB (2x1TB) SATA
CORSAIR HX 650W PSU
ANTEC P182/ DELL IPS 22"/ WIN 7 64 ULTIMATE

Last edited:
System Name Dell Studio XPS 8100 / Current PC
Processor Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.66 GHz / i5-3570K @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Dell Stock H55 / ASUS P8Z77-VLK
Cooling Stock
Memory Hynix 8GB DDR3-1333 / Kingston HyperX Blu Black 8 GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 7770 / EVGA GTX 560 Superclocked
Storage 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 128 GB Crucial m4 + 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Samsung 19'' LCD / Dell 24'' LCD
Case Dell Studio XPS 8100 / Bitfenix Merc Alpha
Audio Device(s) Realtek Integrated
Power Supply Dell Stock 350W / OCZ ModXStream 700W
Benchmark Scores Dell Keyboard + Dell Mouse / Azio Levetron Clicker + Razer Lachesis
Try using Windows Basic theme when you're gaming.

sobol

Try using Windows Basic theme when you're gaming.

Hey, thanks for suggestion.

I've tried that and also classic mode, same behaviour.
I've also switched off windows audio service since I installed a new sound card about 4 months ago. Still same.

The longer I play the game the more often hangs happen.
I think it must be down to some component overheating.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI Gaming M7 AC
Cooling AlphaCool Eisbaer 360
Memory G. Skill Trident X DDR4 8GBx2 (16 GB) 4266mhz dimms
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 512GB Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive,500 GB Samsung 860 EVO ssd, 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Samsung 28 inch 4k Freesync monitor
Case ThermalTake V71 Full tower gaming case
Power Supply Corsair 1200 watt HX Platinum PSU
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Das tactile mechanical gaming keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 15 64 bit Open GL 146.7 FPS Cinebench 15 CPU 1958 at 4.25 GHZ Priority set to real-time
Try updating DirectX via the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Hi, Erocker, I have a special issue with my Gigabyte HD Radeon 6950 2 gb card. I stupidly saw a thread on the web to unlock shaders by loading a modded bios. I did that about 6 months ago. The program supposedly saved my old bios, but it did not. I decided I wanted to revert back to my old bios, but it is not there , only some generic 6950 bios. I don't think Gigabyte will help me , because technically I voided the warranty, even though it is now out of warranty. Now the card is working , but I would prefer to have the legit bios back on the card. Any suggestions? I did use the bios and ATIiwinflash here. But it is a generic bios. Is that the most recent bios for the Radeon 6950? Obviously since it is generic the gigabyte utility to update bios won't read it or permit an update if one is available.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
If all your drivers (motherboard and GPU), Directx, and general windows health is fine, then it would point to some type of faulty hardware.

Anyone checked their power readings on the PSU rails?

How about installing it in a friend's computer as a means to troubleshoot?

autior

System Name Yessir
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Philips 17"
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) On board
Then I've tried Crysis and same again, but this time I'm sure the game didn't behave like that before.

I've started looking on forums and another guy with on steam XCOM forum with 6900 series has the same problem.

Went back to 12.02 which worked fine before but still the same hanging/back to desktop problem.

Sig
SAMSUNG 2TB (2x1TB) SATA
CORSAIR HX 650W PSU

Hi. No, I'm running the VGA with stock shaders, core and mem freq. (880/1300), but when I bought the VGA an year ago I unlocked the shaders on the second bios (never flashed a 6970 BIOS) and tried some overclocking, finding out that with stressing benchmark programs (like OCCT, Furmark, 3DMark) I could use high freq. with no crash, but I get crash, freeze and other problem in-game when using a slightly high core or memory freq... So I decided to switch to the stock bios with no OC.

Thanks for the info, I have to try XCOM and see what happen. And if you can get the game "Darksiders II", try it and see if give you any problem (for me, it freeze in various battles for few seconds and then return you to desktop or to the game).

I'm trying to find out all the games that gave me regular and provable problems, so I can point that out to the guys of the assistence service.

If all your drivers (motherboard and GPU), Directx, and general windows health is fine, then it would point to some type of faulty hardware.

Anyone checked their power readings on the PSU rails?

How about installing it in a friend's computer as a means to troubleshoot?

As I said I got a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W, it got 64A on the +12V.

Actually I'm looking for a friend to try the VGA, but seems like everyone in my zone is a console gamer and got really crappy PSU..

sobol

So I found a reason for my problem. It was OCing the GPU clock to 880mhz on my ATI 6950 and that was no problem until recently. If i clock down to original 800mhz or even 810mhz it works fine. I can have my shader set from 6950 to 6970 mod as long as long as GPU clock is low.

I think it is not due to cooling problem but something has changed with that card.
Why I believe so is that when I bough card and did 6970 mod I did hardcore tests for one week and there was no problem. Now that I've re-done the GPU, memory, power regulator thermal tape and cleaned all dusts effectively restoring cooling efficiency to it's original state 880ghz should be no problem, but it still is.

Sig
SAMSUNG 2TB (2x1TB) SATA
CORSAIR HX 650W PSU

autior

System Name Yessir
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Philips 17"
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) On board
So I found a reason for my problem. It was OCing the GPU clock to 880mhz on my ATI 6950 and that was no problem until recently. If i clock down to original 800mhz or even 810mhz it works fine. I can have my shader set from 6950 to 6970 mod as long as long as GPU clock is low.

I think it is not due to cooling problem but something has changed with that card.
Why I believe so is that when I bough card and did 6970 mod I did hardcore tests for one week and there was no problem. Now that I've re-done the GPU, memory, power regulator thermal tape and cleaned all dusts effectively restoring cooling efficiency to it's original state 880ghz should be no problem, but it still is.

Same here.. I can't say if the GPU was faulty by factory or by my tests, because I did them since I bought the card, so probably I'll never know.

By the way, I did a complete run on XCOM, haven't got any problem but the famous bugs that afflicts the game.

Anyway, we have different VGAs, mine was oc'ed by factory to 880/1300, so even if it's unlucky, it should run at stock freqs. I sent it back to the shop where I bought it (it's still under warranty), now I'm waiting a response.

Last edited: