• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus Direct CU 2 7970 Voltage issue

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
How stable is Furmark at 1280x800 with 8xAA and both burn-in and extreme burn-in checked? I just got mine yesterday and threw the clocks to 1125/6300 in GPUTweak, with default voltages. It was stable.

For anyone thinking of getting this card, the DVI-D port can't handle 2560x1600. This is a known issue. You'll have to get an adapter. Without the adapter you're limited to 1280x800. Which is what has me paranoid, is my card a good OCer, or, is it because of the resolution I'm using?

Furmark can kill cards. Do not recommend it to people. Gaming is the best way to stress a gpu because it stress a lot more then just the VRMs of the card. It stresses everything and then the rest of your system as well.

Iactus

Ok so i got up today, turned on my pc to get on with some work and GPU Tweak is showing voltage of 1.175 - 1.170 bounceing between the two...

I dont know why this has changed but will see if i can overclock any further

Iactus

Email from Asus:

"Thank you for contacting Asus support with this issue.

Unfortunately we don't have a VBios update for the HD7970 DirectCUII graphics card that will allow the Core or memory voltages to be adjusted in the way we advertise.
I have passed this issue onto the specific department that could help"

So.. Asus Has informed them of the issue, and looks like they admitted they lied on the cards advert.

Iactus

They are yet to make a Bios, Will update here when they give me new info

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores

sparrow_69

After a month of research, I finally found the solution to not being able to change the core voltage on my asus 7970-dc2: http://www.overclockers.com/asus-hd7970-directu-ii-top-graphics-card-review

The solution is to use ver 2.2.1.4 of gpu tweak (can be found in the comments section at the end of the review). For some reason, none of the other (newer or older) versions of gpu tweak allow voltage control. I had also tried several version of msi afterburner & sapphire trixx, none of which worked.

This issue was driving me nuts for over a month. I tried several versions of the aforementioned software, different drivers, etc etc. Hope this info helps someone else out!

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea to bad that link doesnt work 404 error lolz

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
also ive tried that versions didnt work for me, card use to work with any version of GPU Tweak before but as of now im voltage locked like everyone else, i did have an unlocked bios but it disables the damn DVI ports so that sucked, eitherway such a pain in the ass to overclock this card honestly for those of us with the card its grasping at straws now. Ill just save myself the trouble and buy a different brand next time. ASUS just screwed the pooch honestly with their DirectCu II cards this time around. 8970 reference + aftermarket cooling is what ill be switching to not gonna bother with ASUS again with GPUs.

only way i managed to change voltage was hex editing which sorta worked but not realaly voltage would drop over time till the card became unstable and crashed. rather pathetic honestly

that said 2.2.1.4 might work for some however it made no difference for me period. Eitherway not a big deal i run 1100 core at 1.098-1.1v

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yes but did a full registry wipe still no dice also tired on a fresh os install no dice, not a big deal really ill just switch brands next time worry now is rather worthless in a few months 8900 series will be all the rage :roll: i wont care latest and greatest FTW ill just make sure its either Sapphire or MSI next go around. Still a good find i guess for those still wanting to try but at this point its one of those to little to late situations Ive had my card since February when it first launched had to pay a huge permium to get it at $630 lol Ive just learned my lesson the extra cooling while awesome isnt worth the trouble when overclocking quite honestly and ASUS wont be releasing a proper software update for the card either id bet $10 on it as they are on versions 2.2.6.0 vs the version in the review 2.2.1.4 theyve moved on

what was offered to the reviewers was nothing more than to gain some extra marketing from it oh look are cards OC extremely well lol. ASUS is too busy trying to push the ROG package which at this point is honestly worthless to me as a user. you've only been dealing the issue a month first month at i had the ASUS 7970 Direct Cu II TOP the card wouldn't go past 1070 do to driver problems that seemed to be linked to a DLL issue

Sapphire trixx was the first with a fix for drivers past 12.4 which at the time worked perfect i was able to push 1160 then but after an OS reinstall i just never clocked the card up after that left it stock or at 1100 at lower than stock voltages aka 50c max temp in BF3 was fine by me. but now that im gearing up for the next series i wanted to have a little fun which is when shit hit the fan. Memory on the card wont go past stock 1mhz over it artifacts even if using just the Overdrive via the control panel its honestly just an epic mess. ASUS is slipping i go where support for a product is consistent not broken a good cooler and quiet operation only go so far. If i really want everything i could just go XFX next time US they still offer warranty if you remove the cooler so ill just grab a reference slap a new cooler on and continue on my merry way :toast: again if this versions helps the others thats awesome. but so far no luck here.

For shits an giggles i cleaned out the registry tried again no luck voltage now unlocked but core clock cannot be increased past 1125 so fail.

Last edited:

sparrow_69

I can definitely sympathize... This situations really bug me and I was on a mission to get a straight answer. I've been using the 7970-dc2 for 2 months now. My first card had actually been opened prior to receiving it, so I was able to exchange it for my current card. I also have 2 friends that also run this card, so I have a decent amount of experience with it. The best oc I've seen on stock voltage is 1100/1500, so you're not that far off. I didn't really try to mess with the voltage during the first month, but out of the 4 cards I used, the (previously opened card) was the only one that would allow msi afterburner to read the gpu voltage. Weird...

I've been in touch with asus for over a month. Honestly, I'm not too sure what they are thinking over there. They've always delivered quality products, but this 7970 situation is a mess. There are posts all over about this issue. The customer service guy I had been in touch with did seem to want to help, but the info he had was to use gpu tweak and it would allow for voltage control. I spoke with 2 tech support guys on the phone today (both seemed very knowledgeable) but neither seemed to know about the issue :shadedshu First guy suggested to use afterburner with 12.8 whql and that seemed to work for him (he had 2 vanilla asus 7970s & one 7970dc2 in crossfire) and allowed voltage control. Obviously that didn't work for me. I then happened upon that review and found out about this over version of gpu tweak. I honestly hate the program but it works. Are you currently running 12.8whql? That combo works for me.

The 7970 dc2 was actually the cheapest 7970 around here. Considering the cooler & all the video outputs, I figured it was definitely a good deal @ 360$ CAD. I just wish they could get their act together. I did send all my testing info to the 2nd support guy I spoke to. He mentioned sending the info up the food chain. I seriously hope something comes of it...

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
nothing will 7970 DC2 TOP is discontinued they wont bother its not a product they are moving. ASUS has been have issues with mobos and gpus of late. its a damn shame but they have fallen pretty far. I have a red black build so the ASUS fit but ill just modify my next card and be done with it.

im running the 12.9 drivers got a performance boost with them so i stuck with them after all whats the point of overclocking if each and every driver breaks the tool? i dont seen anyone else having that issue EXCEPT ASUS who as you noted can't get their shit together, my cards good with its 1100 clock at low volts but considering the 7970 GHz edition cards push up to 1.25v its rather pathetic how piss poor these units are. besides ASUS now has the MATRIX card out so they just dont care they made their money lol end of story just like every other company. In this case i rolled the dice and came up short with a product that doesnt clock and has shit support. Ill just take my business elsewhere all anyone can do.

Whats really funny tho is the 7870 Direct Cu II my buddy has can clock up and has voltage control go figure. TOp end card is fucked mid range performs as it should :roll:

Either kinda pissed as for awhile i was running 1160 stable now its all gone to hell oh well live learn all that jazz