• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OC w/ASROCK Extreme6 z77 / i73770k

drivium

CPU: I7-3770k
Board: Asrock Extreme6 Z77
HS: Noctua D14

Extreme noob!! Question - my default multiplier shows x38 in Asrock Extreme Tuing Utility (even though bios shows auto) and ramps up to 3.9ish under load and down to about 3ghz when idle and volts usually around 1.15ish. When I change the multiplier to 45, it seems to stay near 4.5 forever. Is there any way I can have it idle at say 1.6 and ramp up to say 4.5 only when needed? I dont like the idea of always idling at 4.5ish with a constant 1.15v ~1.2v. I don't want full power all of the time - just access to it when demanded.

Things I've tried: Changing multiplier and upping cpu offset. Although, this probably has more to do with the turbo voltage, yea? Ive read several guides and forum posts, but still feeling a little iffy about making certain mods. Only had my rig for 2 weeks...trying to tip toe into this OC thing and keep tweaks as modest as possible without cratering.

How can I achieve a range like this? 1.6idle-4.5full load

cadaveca

My name is Dave
First things first, you can OC within warranty, but it costs like $25:

So what we are saying is this: Go ahead and push it, we've got your back.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

That way you can not worry about the OC killing stuff. It does take 30 days before you can use it, though.

Secondly, to get proper multiplier scaling under idle scenarios, you need to use Turbo to OC, not just manually set the multi.

That said though, the CPU itself is only going to draw the power it needs, so power savings aren't going to really be that much unless you rarely use your PC, or have it idle for long periods.

Offset or manual voltage or whatever...depends on what board you are using. Not all BIOSes operate in the same manner, although they may seem to give very similar options. This means that to do guides properly, one needs to be written for every motherboard. Generalyl things are the same, overall, but there are nuances from each BIOS that make each stand out.

drivium

Sweet. I've read some of your other forum posts and I was hoping you would respond... lol

Good call on the OC protection - well worth the $$ for peace of mind. So if I use turbo to OC then would I set the multi at my lowest desired speed? In this case 1.6 (minimum) then just up the turbo until it achieves 4.5 at full load? That's probably not what you are saying... haha This is not so much for energy savings (as in $$ savings), but rather because my PC IS idle all day long and I don't really get to use it except for a few hours in the evening and I don't want to have to turn it off every night (because of downloads, etc.). My intention is to prolong the life of the cpu and just draw the power I need when I need it. Sounds like there are 3 things I need to tweak - multiplier, offset, turbo voltage. Do I have that right?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
there are three things...

voltage offset

TURBO multipliers.

Power limits.

The third, however, should be automatic, too.

How to tweak those or what works best with your board, unfortuantely, since I don't have one, I won't be able to help with.

drivium

Oh, ok. It looked like I saw screen shots from another thread you posted in of Asrock bios, maybe they just look similar. My bios is 1.70. I think the latest is like 2.xx, but the Asrock website suggests not to update bios unless you are having probs, which I am not.

I've read about turbo multipliers, but I don't seem to have that feature. I've got a turbo voltage adjustment feature with +0.004v being the lowest option, but not an actual multiplier that I am aware of. I do have a definite (clearly stated) cpu multiplier, though.
So, aside from achieving a stable 4.5ghz (which seems to be fine when multiplier is manually set to x45), is there a best practice for achieving such a range? For example - on your board, do you set it so your cpu idles low and ramps high? If so, what was your method for achieving it? Or are you just high all of the time (your cpu, not you)?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
look under CPU settings for multiplier settings, not under OC settings, perhaps. Layout of where exact options does change form ASRock board to ASRock board, even though they appear mostly similar.

drivium

I see you play guitar - me too. I find that a lot of pc guys play an instrument...wonder what the connection is.

There is something called "Advanced Turbo 30" enable or disable. But I think that is an automatic performance boost with a preset configuration.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Turbo multis are 4 multis together. Have a poke around your BIOS. I guess it might not be there at all, but it should.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Change "CPU Ratio" from auto to manual. See what else appears.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So, al lcore, or other option might enable set of four multis?

if so, change so you can set each multi, set all to the same, even though you can other way too, and then use voltage offset for CPU.

drivium

Are we talking about the cpu multiplier or turbo multiplier? Setting CPU ratio to all is how I set the cpu multiplier, which I knew. I dont suppose you could post (or link to) a pic of the turbo multiplier setting you are referring to?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Are we talking about the cpu multiplier or turbo multiplier? Setting CPU ratio to all is how I set the cpu multiplier, which I knew. I dont suppose you could post (or link to) a pic of the turbo multiplier setting you are referring to?

Nope, I cannot post a pic that will hlep you specficially, as I do not have that board. :(

This is what I was hinting at before...some boards let you set CPU multi..but actaully set turbo. Some actaully set turbo multi on it's own.

Like this ASUS board (1-core ratio limit, 2-core ratio limit, etc):

drivium

Yea, I understood that you do not have this board. The pic you posted helps as a point of reference, still. I appreciate your help.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Np. ;)

So, you can try that single multi setting..it might work..and then you can check power-saving features liek C1E, and such...

and then you cna use offset mode...

and together, those should deliver what you are looking for.

If they do not, the BIOS is not exactly working as you desire, unfortunately. Intel OC is warrantied with extra purchase, and for very little, so OC is easy in most instances.

I'd have to ahve the board, paly with the options, seee how it behaves, adn then I coudl tell you exactly...cahnge this, change that, etc, etc...until then, this is what I got far ya. :p

drivium

Well, just purchased the tuning plan protection. You are right - the effective date shows 30 days from now, but I saw nowhere where it mentioned how long this plan is good for?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, just purchased the tuning plan protection. You are right - the effective date shows 30 days from now, but I saw nowhere where it mentioned how long this plan is good for?

As long as the original warranty, but also covers running at non-stock speeds and voltages, which the original does not.

drivium

Follow up - I figured out my prob. Asrock extreme tuning utility had taken over control of my power settings in windows. I changed it back to "power saving mode" and did all my config through the bios.

I can hardly believe what I'm seeing... I appear to have a stable 4.8ghz w/VCORE: 1.200v-1.210v and a VID of 1.2009 - 1.2159

I passed Intel Burn Test on "Very High" settings and ran Prime95 all night with no errors. Temps sat right around 70c. I also have it set up to idle down to 1.6ghz. Can someone look at my settings and tell me if this is a flook or if I've set something that's going to hose me later? thx