• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most important thing in a game review

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
Hi all!
I wanted to ask about the most important thing when it comes to a game review.
Normally i want to know it because of my website, cuz am starting making reviews.
Any ideas? opinions? What would u like to see in a game review, whats the most important point of it?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
In my humble opinion, objectivity is the most important trait of a good game review.
I don't care if the reviewer liked it or not, or thinks it's a masterpiece/disaster, I just want to know the facts.
I've yet to ever find an unbiased review and I probably never will as the "gaming experience" is a highly subjective thing based on individual tastes and they always feel the need to include it.

Just my 2 cents.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Fun factor.

Processor Core i5 4690K @ 3.5 GHz \\ C2Q Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 SLI \\ Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer \\ Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB \\ Corsair XMS2 2x 2 GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 Gaming v1.1 (Hynix) \\ Sapphire HD 6850
Storage Kingston SV200, 3 TB Seagate 7200.14 \\ 2x 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Case Corsair Carbide 200R Windowed \\ CM 690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 \\ Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Adata HM850 \\ Corsair HX520
Mouse Logitech G602, SteelSeries Sensei Raw Frostblue, Corsair M65
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 \\ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi,

Well, I would like to see a second opinion (or even a third one), because I read/see too many relatively good games being shot down because some flaws. So a second opinion may balance out such review by giving the reader a different view and opinion about that game.

99% game reviewers didn't play the game and even worse ... they have no idea about the series (if it's huge series and not just one single game). They just pick one game and say that it sucks/rocks. It's also annoying that they always compare games which ain't meant to be compared.

For example all those IGN reviews ain't worth a wooden nickel. Anyway I no longer care about reviews. If I like the game I play it if not I chuck it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
do it honestly and be thorough do not be like the pros when reviewing the games because alot have become biased and this is why

when a company like gamespot reviews a game they go to the publisher and the publisher(or vice versa) obviously wants a good score so the game looks good and start talking about ads with gamespot(to make money), and you will see ads everywhere for a certain game and that game NEVER gets a bad score, if it did then the publisher and their advertisers would not come back to gamespot(hence loss of money), this is why you will sometimes see certain games you know suck but get epicly bad scores on most review sites and then you see that good score out of nowhere.

and its not only gamespot doing this as said above IGN is even worst now with this than gamespot

Last edited:
System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
I hate IGN too, dont even like the website.
It terrifies me how many games are in there and even those who will get published.
I don't like the idea but i think they get payed a lot.
Thanks for the cents :)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I guess the best thing to do for your site, Alek, is to set up metrics on how you will be gauging any given game. Stick to the metrics for your analysis, so that each game is assessed by the same process (like W1zz does GPU reviews). If someone questions your review (and they will), you can point them to the metrics and have some real data to counter their (usually flaming) posts.

Then just be honest, and have fun. :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
An example of a new method in rating a game:
- If it is arcade (i.e. MW3, NFS), fun factor is 30% of the final rating, graphic and sound 25%, original idea 15%, replayability 15%, technical aspect (bugs, controls) 15%.
- If it is a sim (i.e. ARMA2, rFactor), realistic behaviour takes 30%, durability 20%, original idea 20%, graphic and sound 15%, technical aspect (bugs, controls) 15%.
- If it is a puzzle game, original idea 30%, fun factor 30%, replayability 25%, graphic and sound 15%.

Every genre has different expectations from the people who like it. Of course it might happen that a game blends nicely arcade and sim characteristics (i.e. BF3). There might be confusing to rate it, but you may give two ratings for everyone to choose.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
to me its the reviewer, i mean i have read many reviews online and they have raved on about this or that, and when i have then gone and bought the game i was like, meh its just a rip off of, or a reskin of..

i trust the opinion of a few of my mates more than these "pros" as they aint gamers but they are journalists, they got the job based on their writing skills and not because they are expert gamers.

i would rather a game review said, game x 9/10, plays just like game y which i enjoy than a 15 page essay on all the pr bumf they get sent with new games. i mean shit i see all that too with the games pr machine running around the net/tv/mags these days.

give me your honest opinion on what the game is, how it plays and what it plays like. maybe how demanding it is on your system, i dont need or want all the rest of the bs they do tbh.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
give me your honest opinion on what the game is, how it plays and what it plays like. maybe how demanding it is on your system, i dont need or want all the rest of the bs they do tbh.

This is what I too stated in post #2.

For instance, I am no fan of shooters so I would not be a good judge of the subjective measures of the game (fun factor). But then again, if you have a shooter fan review the game will he be biased because he loves shooters?

Where's the difference between being honest and biased? Is biased person automatically means that person is not honest? Makes no sense to me. If someone is biased they truly believe in their own opinion and hence they're honest, at least they think that they are.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I don't recall anyone saying that having a bias makes you dishonest in you feelings about something.
We all have biases, it's part of being human (or sub-human in the case of some TPU members. :D )

Processor Intel i7-3770k
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 770
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB
Display(s) Acer G264HL
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech G400
Software Linux for computing, Windows 7 for gaming
Graphics are the most important factor, obviously.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Graphics are the most important factor, obviously.

So the game could last 5 minutes and it would be a good game because it has the best graphics?

I've always thought that story and game play are more important. Good graphics is just a plus.

I don't play Minecraft because it looks awesome, that's for sure. :p

Aquinus said:
I've always thought that story and game play are more important.

Indeed, the most important thing is the gameplay. And the funny thing is nobody even knows what that word means lol. Word "gameplay" is way too broad. It's subjective. It can be anything: interesting aspects of the game; things that make you addictive; elements that make the game look immersive; impressive, atmospheric and realistic scenes; environment; spectacular, standout and memorable moments; enemy/ally AI; soundtrack/voice acting/audio; realism/surrealism; game style and so on. It's all playing its part in the gameplay.

The other important part is the story. Unfortunately many games have cliche hollywood stories about aliens, zombies, nazies or they have no plot at all. Of course I'd never play games like battlefield or farmville.

And finally the other important thing is length and difficulty. I hate short linear games or games full of hints. It just an insult thrown at players' intelligence.

Things like controls, UI and HUD don't bother me much. But games full of cutscenes, useless dialoges and other mediocre crap are extremely annoying.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Indeed, the most important thing is the gameplay. And the funny thing is nobody even knows what that word means lol. Word "gameplay" is way too broad. It's subjective. It can be anything: interesting aspects of the game; things that make you addictive; elements that make the game look immersive; impressive, atmospheric and realistic scenes; environment; spectacular, standout and memorable moments; enemy/ally AI; soundtrack/voice acting/audio; realism/surrealism; game style and so on. It's all playing its part in the gameplay.

I agree with you completely, Drone, and what you list as making up gameplay are not mutually exclusive. In many games you can have one (ie. immersion) without the other (super impressive graphics). It's all completely subjective.

The other important part is the story. Unfortunately many games have cliche hollywood stories about aliens, zombies, nazies or they have no plot at all. Of course I'd never play games like battlefield or farmville.

Plot and fun do not always go hand-in-hand either. There are quite a few tower defense games that have a very shallow plot but are stupidly addictive and if they do the strategy/tactics right they are loads of fun.

And finally the other important thing is length and difficulty. I hate short linear games or games full of hints. It just an insult thrown at players' intelligence.

Some of the very short indie games have fantastic deep and introspective stories.
Games full of hints are just catering to those who do not wish to invest any intellectual time into the game, and yes, it is rather insulting to those who do, isn't it.

Things like controls, UI and HUD don't bother me much. But games full of cutscenes, useless dialoges and other mediocre crap are extremely annoying.

UI and HUD only matters to me if it's so bad it completely kills the immersion in the game.
Cutscenes are a great way to move story to the next step or section of a game, but they are many times used as a crutch for not putting the story in the game in the first place.

Great discussion, by the way ... and thanks for keeping it civil all. :toast:

BTW : I think that what people have been posting about what they like/dislike in games, gives Alek a good idea on some of the aspects he should take into consideration when reviewing a game and not just off-topic banter.

Processor amd fx8350 4.0ghz stock speeds 8cores
Motherboard Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
Cooling coolermaster nepton 280L
Memory 16gb RAM
Video Card(s) gigabyte windforce r9 290
Storage OCZ 120gb SSD and 1tb hitachi HDD
Display(s) AOC 2436 24inch FULL HD
Case corsair 750D
Power Supply CORSAIR HX series 850w
Software WINDOWS 7 64bit
gameplay, controls, storyline and length of game. Nowadays Length of game is most important to me, i don't want to spend over $70 for a game i finish in 2 days

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
This is what I too stated in post #2.

For instance, I am no fan of shooters so I would not be a good judge of the subjective measures of the game (fun factor). But then again, if you have a shooter fan review the game will he be biased because he loves shooters?

yea man, but as a fan of fps games i would value another fps players opinion more than yours as an rts player(eg idk what you like) thats what i mean.

come out and say, i like to play x, y, z and this game is very much akin to y and z so dont buy it if you only like x.

its about being open and honest, if you tell me you think its like x tell me why, what it is you think reminds you of the other game and if it improves or falls short of the title its trying to emulate.

Kreij said:
shallow plot but are stupidly addictive and if they do the strategy/tactics right they are loads of fun.
Yes I know that. But I never play games just for the sake of time killing and I don't care about scores/achievements either. I always try to find something new even in games I played for so many times. Thankfully games like Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, Drakan allow to do that. Even few minutes of gameplay is already orgasmic.

Some of the very short indie games have fantastic deep and introspective stories.
Could you list some of them? Because I don't know or didn't play such games. I can't see how deep story can be fit in a short game :confused:

Cutscenes are a great way to move story to the next step or section of a game, but they are many times used as a crutch for not putting the story in the game in the first place.
Many games just shove cutscenes for the sake of it, just to brag about their engine and fx. I think it's great when player unveils everything all by him/herself. It's much better and when cutscenes are used only for showing important events or some cool vista.
Because it's really awesome when players need to use their brains and eyes to solve a puzzle or kill a boss or for proper spacing/timing of some tricky jump or something. Automatism and monotony are really bad for the gameplay. Everything has to be natural, at least look natural. Braindead button tapping won't get anyone anywhere.

Yes I like such discussions where you can see what people say and where you can say a thing or two as well. It'd be even better if that mattered for game devs but yeah lol it doesn't :D

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11

This is exactly what i think. Anyway, like all said and suggested, its totally based on what the reviewer likes and what game is he reviewing. I will always make honest reviews, since i dont get any money from them :)

Still, a reviewer i don't think will like to review all games, while splitting up the word gameplay, this is why it has become so general.

Overall, a game needs at least 3 or 4 components.

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
The most important thing in any video game review is honesty.

It banes me to read a biased review, But bias is something that makes a review worth reading. Without bias it's impossible to find a reviewer with similar ideals of how anything should work and then evaluate what they have written so you have more power to make an evaluation. Honesty is key because of someone who writes reviews suddenly changes that bias to make a game appear better than it is then you can loose all faith in a review system.

The real key is reviewers ability to stick to their own opinion. It's far too easy to pay someone to write a good independent review, Getting someone established as a reviewer to give you a good review however can be a lot harder. This does not mean games should pander to a core of reviewers, and go out of there way to impress these people. In fact a good reviewers bias should be solely based upon opening a game as a fresh product, With little or no bias from other games already in existence. This never happens. It does however give a solid starting point when reading reviews, as if a review constantly links to other titles then they probably have a very limited understanding of the actual product, and are not reviewing it but linking similarities. The best reviews always take extra time to include sections about the game experience as a whole as well, Not just failures and good points. And extra time to actually have multiple people add opinions within the review to help eliminate company and title bias.

Last edited: