• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Looking for a Buyer?

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Buy as much AMD stock is all I can say. if Apple buys them it would be a huge move. I don't think Microsoft will buy them to tell you the truth but ya never know. Apple would be a huge move for them and boost their profits higher.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
How is looking for a buyer failing? You are so deluded if you think that if they sell there will no longer be any AMD CPU's. Man really get a grip. It is not the end of the universe for god sake. Companies buy and sell all the time yet since this is AMD it some how makes them special? What is so special about a business? They are like any other business if they feel that the time is right to sell they will the CEO's will get big fat pay checks and so will the Owner of AMD. Nothing new there.
No you do not have a grip on this at all. You see this as the END and nothing more. The end of the PC industry and the end of technology moving forward. Well my deluded friend you are so wrong.
I am talking about AMD going under not a company buying them out. Though I would like to see a company such as Samsung buy AMD. Would sure give Intel a kick in the nuts in terms of competition.
Buy as much AMD stock is all I can say. if Apple buys them it would be a huge move. I don't think Microsoft will buy them to tell you the truth but ya never know. Apple would be a huge move for them and boost their profits higher.
The only reason why Apple would buy out AMD is IMO for the ATI Graphics technology and patents. I also think they would like to stick it to Intel as much as possible too.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM

If I had the cash I would! For sure now! TIME TO BUY! But I have nothing so I am out. :cry:

System Name scrapper
Processor Intel i5-6600k @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z-170A
Cooling H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb ddr4 @3000
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 EVGA SC
Storage 2x 500GB Samsung 850 SSD
Display(s) CrossOver 27" 1440p LG IPS @ 120Hz
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply AX-850W
lol how many times can you use the term "AMD fanboys"???

it gets annoying reading your posts when that's all you ever say. you have to relate everything to fanboyism dont you? you can't just comment on a story for what it is, a company supposedly in talks about selling out, this has nothing to do with fanboys LMAO

anywho

I doubt this would ever really happen in the term the OP is talking about... maybe a patent sale to some extent but thats all i can realistically see happen from this

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I am talking about AMD going under not a company buying them out. Though I would like to see a company such as Samsung buy AMD. Would sure give Intel a kick in the nuts in terms of competition.

BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING UNDER. Looking for a buyer is NOT GOING UNDER!

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Yes, they are two different things. My original senario was about AMD going under. Obviously if a major company purchased AMD, it would be good news providing they continue to produce hardware for PC's.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Yes, they are two different things. My original senario was about AMD going under. Obviously if a major company purchased AMD, it would be good news providing they continue to produce hardware for PC's.

Yes now you get it. ATABOY!

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Actually, perhaps they want to do something so grand, that this is the only way they can have the funds to pull it off, and stay afloat.

I'm pretty sure they'd have no issue finding a real buyer right now. The fact they haven't says that there are caveats to the sale that has some holding back...that gets me excited. ;)

I said before, they need to go down to a staff of about 24...I wasn't kidding. A sale for the right amount would pay off all debt, and then have AMD in the black, and just holding the patents would make a profit.

System Name scrapper
Motherboard ASUS Z-170A
Cooling H100i
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply AX-850W
Hit a nerve there?
What is the big deal? If you are a fanboy so what you should be proud of that. As your post's show you sound like one, embrace the Fanboy in you, You know you want to and he wants you to.

I do like AMD, infact they are great for what i do (CAD creation and rendering) but I wouldn't want to be lumped into your little group of "fanboys" because you make all fanboys sound like a bunch of whiny sheep following blindly. infact my decision to purchase my FX-8350 was the exact opposite. for the dollar i spent it out preforms intels offering for almost twice the price for what i do. now you would like to call me a fanboy and point and laugh at me for some reason because of this and it just makes no sense. it seems to me you just have a hard time accepting the fact that AMD makes a better CPU depending on the scenario of its use. now, if you could stop using the term "fanboy" all the time and talking about AMD owners like they are clueless nuggets that'd be great :D

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
I'm pretty sure they'd have no issue finding a real buyer right now
Of course not. The only sticking point is price.

MS makes the only real sense. Much as the same as when they signed a first option contract with Nvidia to guarantee supply of Xbox gpu component, a buy out of AMD for the same reason (Xbox 720) makes the same appeal. What should be the determining factor is the x86 / x86-64 cross licence with Intel. If the x86 isn't transferable then the price is lowered accordingly, and if Intel has a prior caveat in place for AMD's x86-64 licence, that could make things even more interesting...and knowing Intel, that wouldn't surprise in the least.

It would seem that regardless of price, a sale of AMD means a future buyer having to hammer out a deal with Intel (who would be box seat) with the FTC looking on...unless it's a deal taking into account GPU/memory controller etc. IP primarily...in which case, why buy the company? Pick up the engineers instead and licence the IP as required

System Name scrapper
Motherboard ASUS Z-170A
Cooling H100i
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply AX-850W
All I hear is Fanboy , Fanboy , fanboy. AMD , Fanboy. :twitch:

well, okay then, I give up lol Intel makes great CPU's, but so does AMD and it's only your loss when you fail to see that and the harm that would be done if AMD were no longer in the market.

good job ignoring the end of the sentence you highlighted too! you should be a politician

have a nice day :)

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
well, okay then, I give up lol Intel makes great CPU's, but so does AMD and it's only your loss when you fail to see that and the harm that would be done if AMD were no longer in the market.

have a nice day :)

GOOD GOD! How are they going UNDER? They are looking for a buyer for god sake people your not seeing the big picture here.
Well I can't fix stupid so you are on your own! :rockout:

GOOD GOD! How are they going UNDER? They are looking for a buyer for god sake people your not seeing the big picture here.
Well I can't fix stupid so you are on your own! :rockout:

Might want to check the first post. ;)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
AMD has worked with DEC/Alpha, IBM, Motorola in the past.

Btw Its no doom n gloom from me. I mean after the stand they made with the Refresh of the FX lineup and then the FM2 series being pretty good for the market they run. I can only guess 2-8 way opterons are on the way for C32/G34 motherboards.

I'd quite like to see Google or Samsung buy them up. CPU-wise, I'm not sure they have what it takes to do anything but fill the holes that Intel have left in the market. Maybe with the support of a bigger company they might be able to compete again.

Hit a nerve there?
I'm reading this thread and your blatant desperation to have people pay attention to you has hit one of mine. You have five thousand posts here, why on earth would you want to bring down the quality of the posts here with such horseshit?

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
AMD has worked with DEC/Alpha, IBM, Motorola in the past.

Btw Its no doom n gloom from me. I mean after the stand they made with the Refresh of the FX lineup and then the FM2 series being pretty good for the market they run. I can only guess 2-8 way opterons are on the way for C32/G34 motherboards.

Not DEC; they sold out to Compaq, and Compaq sold the IP to Intel. DEC is dead.
If the story is true, it's coming from the board of directors, who are shopping around some possibilities, or rumors, to see what the reaction could be. It's their job to do that kind of thing for the shareholders.

Whatever happens, either AMD survives, or someone else gets the juicy bits and Intel has another competitor or group of competitors. But I have to agree with Cadaveca, something is up, they're not offering the best bits, otherwise there would be news of a deal.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
AMD will survive. This is a good move for them. Look if IBM get AMD there is nothing that will stop them not even Intel. If MS get them it might not be so good but it will still be great. Thing is if AMD finds the need to sell that is not at all that bad. I would be worried if AMD was going to not sell and ran it till the real end that would be really bad, But this? This can only mean good things for them.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
AMD will survive. This is a good move for them. Look if IBM get AMD there is nothing that will stop them not even Intel. If MS get them it might not be so good but it will still be great. Thing is if AMD finds the need to sell that is not at all that bad. I would be worried if AMD was going to not sell and ran it till the real end that would be really bad, But this? This can only mean good things for them.

Im sure they will, they have been through worse.

Not DEC; they sold out to Compaq, and Compaq sold the IP to Intel. DEC is dead.
If the story is true, it's coming from the board of directors, who are shopping around some possibilities, or rumors, to see what the reaction could be. It's their job to do that kind of thing for the shareholders.

Whatever happens, either AMD survives, or someone else gets the juicy bits and Intel has another competitor or group of competitors. But I have to agree with Cadaveca, something is up, they're not offering the best bits, otherwise there would be news of a deal.

thanks for the headsup- i forgot about it- i read it on some website. Just I know my hardware is from that point of time in existence before they were engulfed

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Im sure they will, they have been through worse.

Yeah I know. And I know AMD will NOT go under too. They will get the funding needed from this. And maybe even become bigger and better! I really hope that some big giant like IBM take them on. Man that would be great! I see this as a fresh start for AMD. I will be watching the stock for sure. I think it is time to buy and I know some one that has the cash too. :D

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I am an AMD FANBOY! and im proud of it! problems?

no reason to post honestly, lets not start a fight in here ok

Yeah I know. And I know AMD will NOT go under too. They will get the funding needed from this. And maybe even become bigger and better! I really hope that some big giant like IBM take them on. Man that would be great! I see this as a fresh start for AMD. I will be watching the stock for sure. I think it is time to buy and I know some one that has the cash too. :D

Well IBM does buy them it will put them back in the Business of PC Production that they started initially

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
no reason to post honestly, lets not start a fight in here ok

Well IBM does buy them it will put them back in the Business of PC Production that they started initially

I think AMD really wants to get into the Phone / tablet and handheld market more than staying with the PC market. I bet they will do just this. Phasing out of the old and hailing in the new.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I think AMD really wants to get into the Phone / tablet and handheld market more than staying with the PC market. I bet they will do just this. Phasing out of the old and hailing in the new.

Considering ARM has a big hold on that market...

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech