• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS 7970 Matrix Platinum overheating

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
So you are saying the way 99%ti of people have their case this card wont work well?

Maybe his fans are not correct, wire management, ect....

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Oh, I took at as physical orientation of the card inside the case...since that is what he said. ;)

The way it orientates the card most of the heatsink is below the GPU with the heatpipes facing down. Convection doesn't work well that way.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I'm afraid you might have the wrong card for that case. The way it orientates the card most of the heatsink is below the GPU with the heatpipes facing down. Convection doesn't work well that way. As a test to my theory, you might try laying the case on it's back and see if the card runs cooler.

It doesn't work by convection. The pipes conduct the heat away from the gpu and the fans 'convect' the heat away from the fins.

I had a 580 Lightning in a fortress FT02 case (same layout) and it does a fantastic job of cooling gpu's.

So you are saying the way 99%ti of people have their case this card wont work well?

He has a Raven case which holds the card vertically, with the outputs on the top of the case. Typically, this is superior to having the card horizontal as heat naturally rises. In his case though most of the heatsink is actually below the GPU with the heat pipes aiming straight down. This could make the heatsink not perform efficiently. If he lies his case on it's back it will orientate the card as it was designed to be operated. I'm not saying this is definitely the problem. It's worth trying to find out though.

It doesn't work by convection. The pipes conduct the heat away from the gpu and the fans 'convect' the heat away from the fins.

I had a 580 Lightning in a fortress FT02 case (same layout) and it does a fantastic job of cooling gpu's.

The heatpipes on most GPU's exit to the side of the GPU. I believe your Lightning did as well. The Matrix cooler is physically different and has 3 of it's 5 heat pipes going directly down with the way his case orientates the card.

When did they get rid of the automerge double post feature?

Anyway, I see now what you are saying, my apologies, however it will still CONDUCT heat through the pipes. Again, its not convection that does it. Could it be more efficient in a different orientation, probably... but Im just not sure by how much. I highly doubt its the majority of the difference though......BUT I have been known to be wrong at times, LOL!

It's worth trying to find out though.
Well, I suppose, its not like that is the solution to use our case flipped on its arse...but will determine if that is the issue.

Last edited:
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I read somewhere about bad cooler on HD7950 DirectCU II. Same overheating...
They show exactly how cooler don't tuch one part of graphic chip... But that is ASUS and they hide problems very well.
When you see 3 slot cooler you expect 65-70C on high OC but my ex 580DCII reach 80C with mid OC easy, big, massive, awkward...hard to install, that massive cooler make bad noise and dangle when you install card and blow 80C in my PC, little out, little inside. Every other hardware was little hotter than with stock cards.
I hate when someone buy something and other start to blame other hardware for that.
That massive coolers are not as they seem in many cases.
After that I use for myself only cards to blow air out of case.
And no such bad case on the world to make these temps.
I don't look that open cards at all.

Last edited:
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
He has a Raven case which holds the card vertically, with the outputs on the top of the case. Typically, this is superior to having the card horizontal as heat naturally rises. In his case though most of the heatsink is actually below the GPU with the heat pipes aiming straight down. This could make the heatsink not perform efficiently. If he lies his case on it's back it will orientate the card as it was designed to be operated. I'm not saying this is definitely the problem. It's worth trying to find out though.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/products/RV03/RV03-Left-Inside.jpg

I would like to see a photo of the inside with his hardware installed.

Processor Intel Core i9-13900K
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Z690 Hero
Cooling EK EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) @ DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition
Storage WD Black NVMe 1TB + WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB + Seagate Firecuda 8TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3420DW
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Edifier S351DB + Philips X2
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 Wireless
Keyboard Keychron Q5 with Gazzew Boba U4s
Software Windows 11
Hey everyone, I apologize for not replying. The semester is almost over and all the work is piling.

I would say take a few photos of the card inside the case. It sounds up to now you could have an air flow problem of sorts.

Gentle Typhoon to the left is pulling air out (perhaps it should be pulling air in instead?), Barely visible Gentle Typhoon to the top is pulling air out. The two 180mm Air Penetrators on the bottom are pulling air in.

I have also left the side panel open but it makes a negligible difference.

Here are some close-ups:

And the back exhaust area:

*Just want to add in that I did clean everything with compressed air, even though the last picture begs to differ :roll:

Last edited:
Well, IMO, your problem is the case and position of the card. Now, is the back fan pushing or pulling air inside the case? I think it is pulling out.. reverse that fan... That is a messed up design for a case IMO for good air flow.

Last edited:

Rossi~

System Name Sleipnir
Processor i7 3930K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard Sabertooth X79
Cooling PH-TC14PE
Memory 16Gb Samsung Green @ 2335MHz 10-11-11-21-96-1T
Video Card(s) ASUS 7970 Matrix Platinum @ 1300MHz/7200MHz
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD 2x 1Tb WD Caviar Black RAID-0
Display(s) 1x BenQ 24" 2x BenQ 22"
Case NZXT H2
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX / FiiO E17 + E09K
Power Supply OCZ ZX1000
Hi there! First post as i was googling around the 7970 Matrix Platinum for answers of my own to some GPU Tweak issues and i stumbled across this thread and thought i'd give you my experience.
First of all let me start my telling you i owned the GTX580 Matrix Platinum and moved on the the 7970 Matrix Platinum on release (pre-ordered it), so I've had a lot of experience and have been bombarding ROG with feedback.

Here's a few things:
Matrix Platinum 7970 like the GTX580 version, uses a bespoke (as such) voltage controller. Which means that GPUz can't detect any changes, i set to 1.35v and it will still say 1.256v. I would use a multimeter if you want accurate results or use GPU Tweak monitor for software results.
Likewise, no other overclocking software will work with these cards due to the voltage controller and sometimes the fan controller too. So you're stuck with GPU Tweak if you want to control everything.

90c+? I've NEVER seen that temperature at 100% fan speed and i've pushed 1.36v through this card. I assume BOTH fans are working?
Related to fans, please note that since the later versions of GPU Tweak, the fans work independently to each other. Fan1 is linked to the GPU Temperature and Fan2 is linked to the VDDC (VRM) temperature.

There is a firmware update to this card. You can download from ASUS' website, it may or may not help in this issue, but what have you got to lose?

If i were you, I would test temperatures outside of Kombustor, it's extremely taxing and unrealistic. Run Heaven with the settings below over 5 loops and take the highest from that.

If you still see 90c~ then i would start an RMA process going if i were you tbh. Something is definitely up with your card.

If you have any further issues then i am over on the Overclockers UK forum and on the ROG forums. Though i'll check back here at a later date.

Last edited:
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Your problem is fault card. Install card out of case I can beg they will thit 3C less.
Your air conditions is perfect. That two AP181 cool excellent. I look every of them hold biggest balloon in air. You can remove all fans and you will get 5C higher temps, without all fans that card need to work around max 70C. You can do what you want, on your place I would start test out of case if card hit more than 5C = - than in official test back them card and they can make proper case only for Matrix to hit only 85C not 95C.
2x Gentle Typhoon and 2x AP181 in case and someone talk about bad cooling.
Try out of case.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The fan on the bottom, below the card isn't helping either as it is working against the airflow from the graphics card.

Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
People I don't know do you feel ever Silverstone AP181 and that Airflow...
That is like refrigerator in cases. Tower cooler are worse than Hydro Series because heat stay inside the case and that is much worse but in this case card is problem and I think cooler don't sit good or some other hardware problem and that cause overheating.
Because of that I always go on Hydro series and close cards like FTW and Classified because they have phases and VRM better that stock models and almost all heat go out of case and nobody can't tell me my Case is not good and my cooling is not excellent.
You look in one of best airflow on market. He can't make air pressure with both fans to push air on card. Two very powerful fans, maybe most powerful on marker cool graphic card and two best 120mm fans remove heat out of case, no better cooling than on that picture.
I liked other case more than Silverstone but their quality is for me better than CM example and if you want case with best fabric fans, not aftermarket Silverstone with 2 or 3 AP181 on floor is far best cooling case with their fans.

Last edited:
People I don't know do you feel ever Silverstone AP181 and that Airflow...
That is like refrigerator in cases. Tower cooler are worse than Hydro Series because heat stay inside the case and that is much worse but in this case card is problem and I think cooler don't sit good or some other hardware problem and that cause overheating.
Because of that I always go on Hydro series and close cards like FTW and Classified because they have phases and VRM better that stock models and almost all heat go out of case and nobody can't tell me my Case is not good and my cooling is not excellent.
You look in one of best airflow on market. He can't make air pressure with both fans to push air on card. Two very powerful fans, maybe most powerful on marker cool graphic card and two best 120mm fans remove heat out of case, no better cooling than on that picture.
I liked other case more than Silverstone but their quality is for me better than CM example and if you want case with best fabric fans, not aftermarket Silverstone with 2 or 3 AP181 on floor is far best cooling case with their fans.

Read the thread. He does not have the fans pushing and pulling properly.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
The fan on the bottom, below the card isn't helping either as it is working against the airflow from the graphics card.

I get what you're saying but the silverstone AP fans punch a massive amount of air into the case. Nice ambient air. It is that air that which moves up the case and is used by the fans on the graphics card to wick heat off the fins.

There will be turbulence in the air due to the fans directions but the AP fans continually push fresh air in (and lots of it. If it's the same as the FT02, they're high static pressure 180mm fans. That's a lot of air flow being put in.

So no matter how messed up the air flow is the colder air is constantly being pushed in from the bottom - it must move up the case.

The gpu heatsink being lower than the gpu means nothing, and the alignment of the heatpipes are irrelevant to air flow. The heat pipes primary purpose is to transfer heat from gpu to fins.

Once the heat is on the fins the cards gpu starts to over heat if the gpu can no longer dump heat onto the (no longer) colder fins via the heat pipes. But here the hot fins are constantly being cooled not only by the gpu's fans but also by the direct cooling from the AP fans on the bottom of the case.

Also, the gap in the case at the left allows fresh air to be dragged right over the fans of the gpu - that will dump cold air (allowing the wicking of heat) onto the gpu fins. That left AP fan alone is cooling the gpu. It doesn't matter where the hot air goes because it's not going to adversely affect the flow fro the left hand side AP fan.

Even with this type of cooler with heat being dumped into the case the layout still works well. I had the case and I've had customer coolers. It's not the case. That big blue arrow is cold air being drawn up by the out take fan. That cold air is what the gpu fans are using to blow over the fins.

To demonstrate, the horizontal fins push hot air out to the sides. This air is pushed up and out. The AP fan pushes the cold air to the front of the gpu cooler. The gpu cooler fans will push this air onto the fins, cooling them by convection.

Last edited:
That PSU pushes air IN to the case? You may want to double check that...

Is that a passive air cooler on the GPU?

Storage WD Black NVMe 1TB + WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB + Seagate Firecuda 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Software Windows 11
Hi there! First post as i was googling around the 7970 Matrix Platinum for answers of my own to some GPU Tweak issues and i stumbled across this thread and thought i'd give you my experience.
First of all let me start my telling you i owned the GTX580 Matrix Platinum and moved on the the 7970 Matrix Platinum on release (pre-ordered it), so I've had a lot of experience and have been bombarding ROG with feedback.

Here's a few things:
Matrix Platinum 7970 like the GTX580 version, uses a bespoke (as such) voltage controller. Which means that GPUz can't detect any changes, i set to 1.35v and it will still say 1.256v. I would use a multimeter if you want accurate results or use GPU Tweak monitor for software results.
Likewise, no other overclocking software will work with these cards due to the voltage controller and sometimes the fan controller too. So you're stuck with GPU Tweak if you want to control everything.

90c+? I've NEVER seen that temperature at 100% fan speed and i've pushed 1.36v through this card. I assume BOTH fans are working?
Related to fans, please note that since the later versions of GPU Tweak, the fans work independently to each other. Fan1 is linked to the GPU Temperature and Fan2 is linked to the VDDC (VRM) temperature.

There is a firmware update to this card. You can download from ASUS' website, it may or may not help in this issue, but what have you got to lose?

If i were you, I would test temperatures outside of Kombustor, it's extremely taxing and unrealistic. Run Heaven with the settings below over 5 loops and take the highest from that.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/6860929862_c30aaa43a8_b.jpg

If you still see 90c~ then i would start an RMA process going if i were you tbh. Something is definitely up with your card.

If you have any further issues then i am over on the Overclockers UK forum and on the ROG forums. Though i'll check back here at a later date.

Ah.. I haven't tried to flash the firmware update yet, but I'm reluctant to since I've never flashed a card before.

Both fans are definitely working and pushing air onto the card, but my temps still reach ridiculous levels. On Battlefield with 50% on both fans, my card reaches a little more than 80C after 30 minutes. I've previously owned an ASUS 7970 DCII Top and it never broke 70C with a 40% fan at any given time :cry:

The Battlefield 3 results above are with 1.23V at 1200MHz for the Matrix. I'll post back again with Heaven 3.0 results, however, I've noticed that it doesn't stress cards as much as games do any more. I get hotter temperatures running games (I've noticed this with a ASUS 7970 DCII Top, a reference EVGA GTX 670, and an MSI GTX 670 Power Edition).

I just want to thank you for taking your time and explaining that so clearly. I'll add in that my room temperature is within 1C of 23C, and the computer is elevated - on my desk, so there is nothing that could potentially block any fresh air going to the 180mm Air Penetrators.

That PSU pushes air IN to the case? You may want to double check that...

My PSU is orientated correctly; it pulls in air from the bottom of my case and exhausts it through the small opening on the side panel.

Is that a passive air cooler on the GPU?

It is not a passive air cooler; it is the active stock cooler with 2 100mm fans.

Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
I see excellent airflow on that picture. Nothing, nothing can make 95C in that card.
You can install good one and remove all fans from case you will have 10C MAX more.
Try card out of case, but that is unnecessary job.
Don't do anything what will destroy your warranty that is my strong recommendation for you.

Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Software Windows 11
I see excellent airflow on that picture. Nothing, nothing can make 95C in that card.
You can install good one and remove all fans from case you will have 10C MAX more.
Try card out of case, but that is unnecessary job.
Don't do anything what will destroy your warranty that is my strong recommendation for you.

I've already tried the card with the side panel open; I think that suffices in seeing if there are in fact air flow problems.

Looks like I'm out of options other than to request an RMA :ohwell:

I've already tried the card with the side panel open; I think that suffices in seeing if there are in fact air flow problems.

Looks like I'm out of options other than to request an RMA :ohwell:

Did you try reorienting your case to position the card as designed? ie: Put the case on it's back end. Sorry if I missed where you said you tried it and it didn't work.

I only suggest it because there are some cooler designs that aren't compatible with being turned 90 degrees like that and the cooler on the Matrix might be one.

try reversing the fans in ther config I suggested earlier and see what the results are.

Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Software Windows 11
Hi everyone! I've got great news.

To begin with, I started fiddling around with the settings some more on ASUS GPU Tweak, bumping voltages down and whatnot, and using MSI Kombustor mainly as a stability and temperature test (Bad choice I know, but continue reading). Voltages didn't really do much for me, at least nothing too significant that could bump my temperatures below 90C when using Kombustor.

I fiddled around some more, and finally moved on to the load line calibration %. This setting alone made significant difference in the temperatures I was getting. I set it to 25% (the lowest possible value) and used Kombustor; I was getting 90C and above before I called it quits. I then set it to 100% and noticed my temps hover at 72C. What a significant difference that made; I thought LLC was just adding more voltage to the lowered voltage when under load. I never thought that that would help that much since it's essentially adding more voltage.

The results for the LLC testing was after pressing the default button, with 100% on both fans, moving the power slider to 120%, and changing LLC % to the above values. I've changed the GPU voltage to 1200mV (but that was for all the tests) since 1260mV was way too high for 1100MHz.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Hi everyone! I've got great news.

To begin with, I started fiddling around with the settings some more on ASUS GPU Tweak, bumping voltages down and whatnot, and using MSI Kombustor mainly as a stability and temperature test (Bad choice I know, but continue reading). Voltages didn't really do much for me, at least nothing too significant that could bump my temperatures below 90C when using Kombustor.

I fiddled around some more, and finally moved on to the load line calibration %. This setting alone made significant difference in the temperatures I was getting. I set it to 25% (the lowest possible value) and used Kombustor; I was getting 90C and above before I called it quits. I then set it to 100% and noticed my temps hover at 72C. What a significant difference that made; I thought LLC was just adding more voltage to the lowered voltage when under load. I never thought that that would help that much since it's essentially adding more voltage.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2rfbhbp.png

The results for the LLC testing was after pressing the default button, with 100% on both fans, moving the power slider to 120%, and changing LLC % to the above values. I've changed the GPU voltage to 1200mV (but that was for all the tests) since 1260mV was way too high for 1100MHz.

Wow, I didn't know GPU Tweak came with a LLC setting! My card desperately needs that due to vdroop. Thing is with the spikes in GPU usage, are you sure your card isn't throttling itself down now?