• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Performance/Gaming Computer Build, budget ~$1500 give or take

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
Yeah, it has the screw holes set up so that it will fit in a 120mm space, but its larger than a 120mm fan still by 5mm on all sides so you cant butt two of them together in a 240m space meant for 2 120s. Unless there are holes for 140mm fans in the side panel; i dont think there are

Yeah, it has the screw holes set up so that it will fit in a 120mm space, but its larger than a 120mm fan still by 5mm on all sides so you cant butt two of them together in a 240m space meant for 2 120s. Unless there are holes for 140mm fans in the side panel; i dont think there are

Good thinking. But like I said I can't buy that one, it's in the UK.

Anyway I might not get fans anyway. Worried about the noise. I dunno, just concerned about my behemoth 7950 graphics cards getting hot.

Open to suggestions.

Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Flui...

How bout these? They have the cool golf ball surface that helps keep them quiet, 17db. And they move a ton of air, 70cfm. And they're cheap. And a good color. And pwm. And ultra long life bearings.

If you have a spare 5.25 drive bay I would suggest you get a fan controller if you're really interested in quiet. Then you can turn your fans down if you want them quieter

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

How bout these? They have the cool golf ball surface that helps keep them quiet, 17db. And they move a ton of air, 70cfm. And they're cheap. And a good color. And pwm. And ultra long life bearings.

If you have a spare 5.25 drive bay I would suggest you get a fan controller if you're really interested in quiet. Then you can turn your fans down if you want them quieter

They are pwm hook them up to mobo and create a fan profile.

Nice suggestion. Thank you.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
This is rather one of the longer build threads I have seen in a while. LOL

Is the over and under on the fans 3 pages?

This is rather one of the longer build threads I have seen in a while. LOL

Is the over and under on the fans 3 pages?

I don't understand your question

Thanks to your suggestion, I really liked that and bought two of them :)

Suggestion for fan controller?

You need to squeeze an SSD in there it makes a huge speed difference to any pc and hunt around to try find a 660ti or 7950. :)

Done ;)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
I have an nzxt sentry touch, single bay. I would prefer one with just rheostat knobs or sliders tho. But this one has automatic control too with heat probes you can place throughout your case which is nice. Theres also a number of other companies that make good controllers

Edit: i think drdeath was mocking the length of this thread and asking how long you've been discussing fans

Last edited:
I have an nzxt sentry touch, single bay. I would prefer one with just rheostat knobs or sliders tho. But this one has automatic control too with heat probes you can place throughout your case which is nice. Theres also a number of other companies that make good controllers

Edit: i think drdeath was talking about the length of this thread and asking how long you've been discussing fans

Nice suggestion about the nzxt sentry touch. I might get it sometime in the near future. (right now though, I bought about as much as I am willing to spend on this PC!)

@dr. death: oh, we've only been discussing fans for like 7 posts, I think.. a half page maybe?
(update, just counted, yes, 7 posts total about fans before your post dr. death. lol ;))

--

UPDATE:

I came up with a solution to my issue regarding limited SATA ports - without buying PCI-e card.

Since the total number of drives I have now is six, I can plug all of them into the motherboard (using up all six ports), and then for my DVD drive I just bought a SATA to USB adapter, and will just plug the internal DVD drive into an external USB port (and hide the wires). Since DVD drives will never go beyond the 480Mbps of USB 2.0, there will be zero performance loss by using this method.

Here is the adapter I am referring to:

Although, in the future if I want to add more drives, then I will have to go the PCIe-to-SATA route.

I concluded that the maximum number of internal hard drives possible is 10 hard drives, given:
6 motherboard ports
2 PCIe to SATA cards (each with 2 SATA3 ports) = 4 more SATA data ports.

There are 8 SATA power cables, but since I have spare Molex cables from the PSU, I could easily use a SATA power to Molex adapter for the remaining two hard drives.

Begin Hypothetical:

Moreover, for two of the additional hard drives I would have to use a 5.25 bay to 3.5 adapter to install the remaining hard drives.

For now, however, 10TB is fine. But I have the option to add 10 to 12 more TB (two 3TB and two 2TB; or four 3TB HDD).

The maximum space my PC could hold, if I exchanged my three 2TB drives for 3TB drives, and my 1TB 2.5" drive for a 3.5" 3TB drive and mounted the SSD on the side of the middle bays, is:

9 x 3TB = 27TB.

If I really wanted to go extreme, I could get two SATA to USB 3.0 adapters and plug an extra two 3TB drives - although I'm not sure where I would mount the drives.
This would make for a maximum of 33TB.

and if I really, really wanted to go extreme, I could do as above but swap all 11 3TB drives for 4TB drives for a maximum of:
44TB.

Although that would be outrageous. Lol.
Seeing as you can get a SATA3 4TB drive for $260, then the cost of getting 11 4TB drives would be:
$2860.

Don't worry. I wouldn't do this ridiculousness ;)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
Why do you need that much storage?

Got CPU today.

Still computer will not turn on.

PSU passes paperclip test.

Removed everything but CPU and plugged in only the 8-pin CPU power cable, 24-pin motherboard connector, speaker, one fan, and power button on PC case.

Took out the motherboard and set it on a wooden table, tried again, still nothing. Zip, zero, null, nothing.

When power to PSU is plugged in, and PSU is turned on, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. No power, no lights anywhere, not even the fan connected directly to PSU turns on. Which means PSU is not getting the signal to turn on.

I am headed to radio shack walgreens to pick up a new CMOS battery, to see if that's the problem. If that still doesn't work, then this motherboard is DOA.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Put RAM in it. Reverse the power button wires on the motherboard.

With the PSU, unless there is a light on the PSU, the fan won't spin up if there is power going to the PSU.

Put RAM in it. Reverse the power button wires on the motherboard.

With the PSU, unless there is a light on the PSU, the fan won't spin up if there is power going to the PSU.

PSU is fine. Like I said, it passed the paperclip test.

Forgot to mention I also had the RAM in when testing.

What do you mean, reverse power button wires?
Edit: I figured out what you meant. I will put everything in and try it. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

Last edited:
Dear erocker,

You have saved the day once again.

Awhile back, you saved me when a mod banned me by accident.

Today, when all else failed, you gave me one simple task, which by following, has saved me weeks of distress in RMA and worry.

Thank you so much, you are a wonderful person!!!

You were right, the only problem was the power cable button. Once I fixed that by taking your advice, Plugged it in, and pushed the power button, everything turned on like a charm! :) :) :)

E:rockout:

Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
So, "thank you erocker for your (un)common sense"

Ok. PC turns on, but then turns off after 5 seconds. then turns on again automatically for 5 seconds then off again for 5 seconds. Keeps doing this. No video is displayed on the monitor.

I unplugged both graphics cards, but still same issue.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Did you plug in the 8 pin power for the CPU and the PCIe power cables for the graphics cards?

Did you plug in the 8 pin power for the CPU and the PCIe power cables for the graphics cards?

Yes;

I just took out the CPU and put it back in again;

Then I put the RAM in the other two slots.

Then I turned on. Boots up. :)

--

Everything working perfect now. Just finished installing Windows. Took pictures, will post them soon.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
Another reason I love asrock boards; if theres a problem it gives you a code to tell specifically what it is

Another reason I love asrock boards; if theres a problem it gives you a code to tell specifically what it is

Wouldn't have mattered because there was no display. Probably the CPU was not seated properly.

Anyway I know and trust MSI hardware. Whereas asrock, sounds off-brand to me. (I'm sure it's a good board though).

Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Software Windows 10
It actually gives you a code on an led panel on the board that you look up in the mobo manual. So no display required. As far as I can tell, asrock has usurped ASUS. Which is made evident by the fact that ASUS is trying to buy them back after they dumped them years ago; and then watched them steal a large portion of the gaming/high end motherboard market. It's always awesome to see the bastard son outdo its snooty progenitor...

It actually gives you a code on an led panel on the board that you look up in the mobo manual. So no display required. As far as I can tell, asrock has usurped ASUS. Which is made evident by the fact that ASUS is trying to buy them back after they dumped them years ago; and then watched them steal a large portion of the gaming/high end motherboard market. It's always awesome to see the bastard son outdo its snooty progenitor...

Lol interesting.

Why do you need that much storage?
My movies and TV shows only take up about 1TB. Applications and alternate OS (linux, unix, etc.) [Not the windows install or application data] take up about 1TB. Windows install and applications only take up about 200GB. Ebooks and Audiobooks take up about 1TB. Tutorials and tutorial videos (for just about everything there is to learn that I care about) take up about 1TB. I have about 50 games, most of which I never played yet, takes up between 500GB and 1TB, I think. Rosetta Stone for all languages takes up about 100GB. Miscellaneous things take up between 100GB and 500GB. Oh yeah, music takes up about 50GB, but now with massive more space it will probably take about 1TB. Web design stuff and server backups for up to 100 sites, and graphic design stuff, take up the rest - a very large amount which constantly increases. Videos, applications, ebooks, music, also increase regularly.

But you must understand - I would like at least one whole backup of everything. This means if I have 5TB of data, I need 10TB of space. If I have 10TB of data, I need 20TB of space. And, the more space I have, trust me, the more I will use.

Currently, my system now is 10TB. Now with the extra 7TB, I will use 4TB as backup space, meaning I will have used 8TB of space total - 4TB of data backed up completely one time. This leaves me with only 1TB extra even though I more than doubled my space, because now I will have backups.

Currently used space: almost 4TB
Backed up all one time: + 4TB
= 8TB needed for 4TB space.

Remaining: 2TB
Backed up once = remaining: 1TB + 1 backup​

So 10TB isn't really a huge gain and it will be used up very quickly. So in 2 to 6 months (depending on how conservative I am) I will need more space again.
20TB would be very nice for me. Would give me 5 TB of space extra.

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Lol interesting.

My movies and TV shows only take up about 1TB. Applications and alternate OS (linux, unix, etc.) [Not the windows install or application data] take up about 1TB. Windows install and applications only take up about 200GB. Ebooks and Audiobooks take up about 1TB. Tutorials and tutorial videos (for just about everything there is to learn that I care about) take up about 1TB. I have about 50 games, most of which I never played yet, takes up between 500GB and 1TB, I think. Rosetta Stone for all languages takes up about 100GB. Miscellaneous things take up between 100GB and 500GB. Oh yeah, music takes up about 50GB, but now with massive more space it will probably take about 1TB. Web design stuff and server backups for up to 100 sites, and graphic design stuff, take up the rest - a very large amount which constantly increases. Videos, applications, ebooks, music, also increase regularly.

But you must understand - I would like at least one whole backup of everything. This means if I have 5TB of data, I need 10TB of space. If I have 10TB of data, I need 20TB of space. And, the more space I have, trust me, the more I will use.

Currently, my system now is 10TB. Now with the extra 7TB, I will use 4TB as backup space, meaning I will have used 8TB of space total - 4TB of data backed up completely one time. This leaves me with only 1TB extra even though I more than doubled my space, because now I will have backups.

Currently used space: almost 4TB
Backed up all one time: + 4TB
= 8TB needed for 4TB space.

Remaining: 2TB
Backed up once = remaining: 1TB + 1 backup​

So 10TB isn't really a huge gain and it will be used up very quickly. So in 2 to 6 months (depending on how conservative I am) I will need more space again.
20TB would be very nice for me. Would give me 5 TB of space extra.

fdfgs....
If I'm wrong, then somewhere my karma has gone way down, but i simply dont believe you.
I'm running 4TB of storage plus two ssd's. im only using 3 tb for tv shows, games, (300+ on steam plus origin and other no drms), books, software (things like cs master collection and 3dsmax) and stored data for a friends business and website and appl (www.pushyparents.org if you dont believe me xD). with backups that would take me to 8TB, but like i said, still 1tb left for data anyway.
1tb for ebooks and audio books. Are you having a f***ing laugh?

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
fdfgs....
If I'm wrong, then somewhere my karma has gone way down, but i simply dont believe you.
I'm running 4TB of storage plus two ssd's. im only using 3 tb for tv shows, games, (300+ on steam plus origin and other no drms), books, software (things like cs master collection and 3dsmax) and stored data for a friends business and website and appl (www.pushyparents.org if you dont believe me xD). with backups that would take me to 8TB, but like i said, still 1tb left for data anyway.
1tb for ebooks and audio books. Are you having a f***ing laugh?

I don't know what you are trying to say, but I think you are calling him a liar for needing all that space?

If you don't believe him, move along. It's not very difficult, if he thinks he needs 40TB, then that is outstanding.

If I am wrong, please disregard this post.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I don't know what you are trying to say, but I think you are calling him a liar for needing all that space?

If you don't believe him, move along. It's not very difficult, if he thinks he needs 40TB, then that is outstanding.

If I am wrong, please disregard this post.

He needs all that space so he can fit the internet into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.