• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgraded the CPU from core 2 duo T5250 to T9300 but the cpuZ & WEI scores went down

Was it wrong for me to upgrade the notebook CPU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name Dell Inspiron 1520
Processor Upgraded to Core2Duo T9300,2.5 GHz from T5250,1.5 GHz
Motherboard Dell Inc.0KY768 ,PM965 chipset
Memory Upgraded to 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 667 MHz from 2x1GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Upgraded to 256 MB,nVidia 8600M GT fro earlier 128 MB,8400 M GS
Storage Upgraded to WD,1 TB 72K rpm from earlier Hitachi,160 GB 72K rpm
Display(s) 1440x900,Trulife LCD,glossy
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Still Striving to reach the machine maximum..!!
Upgraded the CPU from core 2 duo T5250 to T9300 but the cpuZ & WEI scores went down

im sry but i still think its socket issue here is socket for t9300 (Sockets Supported BGA479, PGA478)
and here is for t5250 (Sockets Supported PPGA478) its even made in diferent litography..
t5250 is 65nm and t9300 45nm..
maybe with some bios update it could work.. but i dont think he is going to have updated bios..

Sir,I have already made clear in the above links that PGA478 & PPGA478 are the same things just the construction material is different..As for lithography, you must read the Moore's law for transistors.."Moore's law, the observation made by Gordon Moore, co-founder of the Intel Corp., in a 1965 magazine article that the number of transistors per square inch on a microprocessor chip had doubled each year since the integrated circuit had been invented. This led Moore to predict that the number of transistors on a chip would double every 18 months-a time interval he later revised to every two years. Technically an axiom rather than a law, the prediction was subsequently dubbed Moore's law by the American physicist Carver Mead. The law became something of a self-fulfilling prophecy as microchip and electronics manufacturers competed to develop faster, smaller, and cheaper electronic devices; by the early 21st cent., the number of transistors on a typical memory chip had gone far beyond 1 billion. It is generally accepted that technological improvements in miniaturization and microelectronics will reach a point where circuits are only a few atoms wide, making it physically impossible to make them even smaller. To maintain the pace projected by Moore's law, new technologies such as quantum computers, optical switches, and spintronics will need to be developed."

So u see.. its more about reducing the size & power reqmt.of transistors with passing time & simultaneously increasing the transistor density..as a consequence,the power dissipation is reduced the size of processor is reduced,its functionality is increased..
Lemme aarrange the power adaptor & then we'll conclude whether its a BIOS issue or not...
BTW thanks to @unclewebb ,that by using the throttlestop 5 ,its clear for sure that my processor can work at max speeds with stable temps...just what needs to be discovered is that why this core stepping is not going in Auto mode..

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The maximum Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) multiplier for a T9300 is 13.5

As I mentioned before, the T9300 supports a built in feature where it can use a 13.5 multiplier when a single core is active. On the Core i processors, this feature is called Intel Turbo Boost but when this feature first came out in the Core 2 Duo, it was called Intel Dynamic Acceleration. To access this feature you need to have the Set Multiplier value in ThrottleStop set to 13.5. You will have to increase the VID voltage a little as well to maintain full load stability. Make sure Disable Turbo in ThrottleStop is NOT checked so your CPU can access this feature. Some laptops will disable IDA in the bios but I think your problem is just a ThrottleStop setup issue.

Once you have ThrottleStop set up correctly, try running a benchmark like HyperPI.

http://virgilioborges.com.br/hyperpi/

Set this benchmark so it only uses 1 core of your CPU. This will allow the second core to spend most of its time asleep as the benchmark is running which allows the active core to spend the majority of its time using the Intel Dynamic Acceleration feature. Post a screen shot of ThrottleStop and HyperPI while a 1M benchmark is running. This will confirm if IDA is working or not.

If downloading and running HyperPi is too much work, just run a single thread of the TS Bench. Click on the 32M button and post a screen shot of ThrottleStop while that benchmark is in progress.

I think the problem is that your bios does not recognize your CPU. When that happens, it usually sets the multiplier at the minimum safe default value which is 6 and it also sets the VID voltage at the minimum value. ThrottleStop lets you get beyond that limitation by writing multiplier and VID values directly to the CPU after you boot up.

Edit: Your CPU is running fine. It does not look like you have a power adapter problem or a socket problem. The only problem is that your bios does not know what a T9300 is.

Last edited:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
As I mentioned before, the T9300 supports a built in feature where it can use a 13.5 multiplier when a single core is active. On the Core i processors, this feature is called Intel Turbo Boost but when this feature first came out in the Core 2 Duo, it was called Intel Dynamic Acceleration. To access this feature you need to have the Set Multiplier value in ThrottleStop set to 13.5. You will have to increase the VID voltage a little as well to maintain full load stability. Make sure Disable Turbo in ThrottleStop is NOT checked so your CPU can access this feature. Some laptops will disable IDA in the bios but I think your problem is just a ThrottleStop setup issue.

Once you have ThrottleStop set up correctly, try running a benchmark like HyperPI.

http://virgilioborges.com.br/hyperpi/

Set this benchmark so it only uses 1 core of your CPU. This will allow the second core to spend most of its time asleep as the benchmark is running which allows the active core to spend the majority of its time using the Intel Dynamic Acceleration feature. Post a screen shot of ThrottleStop and HyperPI while a 1M benchmark is running. This will confirm if IDA is working or not.

If downloading and running HyperPi is too much work, just run a single thread of the TS Bench. Click on the 32M button and post a screen shot of ThrottleStop while that benchmark is in progress.

I think the problem is that your bios does not recognize your CPU. When that happens, it usually sets the multiplier at the minimum safe default value which is 6 and it also sets the VID voltage at the minimum value. ThrottleStop lets you get beyond that limitation by writing multiplier and VID values directly to the CPU after you boot up.

Edit: Your CPU is running fine. It does not look like you have a power adapter problem or a socket problem. The only problem is that your bios does not know what a T9300 is.

that would probably work great in his circumstance, however I don't believe his motherboard/system is ever going to support the 800FSB.

unclewebb

that would probably work great in his circumstance, however I don't believe his motherboard/system is ever going to support the 800FSB.

Did you look at his screen shot? The 965 chipset supports that bus speed just fine. I think his original screen shot when he was using an older version of CPU-Z was wrong. CPU-Z 1.62 is reporting the correct bus speed.

His CPU is running at its rated speed. All he needs to do now is enable IDA so it can run a little faster yet.

Edit: His WEI CPU score went up from 2.3 to 6.0 so his CPU is definitely running a lot faster than during his original post.

niraz_1980: There is one more trick that ThrottleStop lets you do. Intel only intended one core to get a boost in speed when running single threaded apps and using IDA. With ThrottleStop, you can lock both cores at the 13.5 multiplier so both cores will be running at:

13.5 X 199.44 MHz = 2692.44 MHz

That's better performance than Dell or Intel ever intended. You don't have to worry about heat at idle when set up like this because the 45nm CPUs will automatically go into one of the deeper sleep states like C3. Just make sure the VID is set high enough so your CPU is 100% stable.

For this trick to work you need to boot up with EIST disabled in the bios. Once booted up, start up ThrottleStop, enable EIST, set the multiplier to 13.5 and then right mouse click on ThrottleStop and there will be a secret menu item called Start Dual IDA or something like that. Select that and if your CPU is idle, it will try to lock both cores at the 13.5 multiplier. Once both cores are at 13.5, it will disable EIST to lock the CPU at that speed. Thanks to someone for this trick. It's looking like your upgrade was a wise choice after all. :)

You can find lots of info about Dual IDA on NotebookReview
http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...c-acceleration-ida-both-cores-core-2-duo.html

The Inspiron 1520 and the T9300 both support Dual IDA so you should be good to go.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...ida-both-cores-core-2-duo-15.html#post6646598

Last edited:

Dear Friends..
I am Back from the Coma...!!! After a long reign of anticipation..I finally recd.my new Dell 90 W adaptor p/no.MK947 & guess what...??????:twitch: Here lies the answer to all our prayers...My Processor C2D T9300@2.5 GHz actually started to work full fledged & in complete auto mode..so that concludes..

1.) There was nothing wrong with the MOBO or PM965 chipset,It can support 800 FSB.
2.) There was no compatibility issue regarding PPGA478/PGA478 Socket..it is the same thing.
3.) There was nothing like 65(Merom) to 45(Penryn) nm transition issue considering the TDP & socket are appropriate.

& lastly,The BIOS was always recognising the processor from the begining(otherwise it won't POST),it was just that the BIOS was unable to retrieve any information about my battery (dead) & charger so as a preventive measure it was running the cpu on the lowest Default multiplier & VID..Also,there was nothing like newer processor-old mobo etc..coz i now feel once a processor fits into a socket.. it succeeds ,there and then,infact once a processor has a socket type mentioned to it..any m/c's (having that socket type) latest BIOS update would know the processor identity & operations.

So,finally my "Quest for the Ultimate Truth" stands rewarded..not to mention with all of your support..& as a result of which its concluded that even an outdated processor like intel core2duo T5250@1.5 GHz can be updated to a respectable T9300@2.5 GHz(In a laptop & even by a novice like me) & an almost extinct m/c like Dell Inspiron 1520 could be revived & brought foth to match & compete with the best of the DDR2 & some DDR3 age Inspirons & Other HP,IBM devices..My m/c is now zoomingly snappy...I have posted my 3Dmark06 scores,my WEI & CPU-Z data snapshots..

However during the intel burn test the cpu achieved temp of 78-79 deg C,which is quite high..but anyways the idle range is still 43-50 C only..would like to specially thank unclewebb,bencrutz & newtekie1 for their consistent worthy opinions.:respect:

would surely keep posted on my future endeavors..Neeraj Vishwakarma from India:rockout:

Attachments

• finally at 2.5 Ghz automatic.jpg
    finally at 2.5 Ghz automatic.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 3Dmark 6 score.jpg
    3Dmark 6 score.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • too hot.jpg
    too hot.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,027

I however forgot to admit that in this process of upgradation & coming across you guys & reading about your system specs...I have started to feel like "Living in the Iron Age"..Very soon for sure i will get a Powerful m/c like no other (A Desktop this time )with the best available configuration even if it takes to drain every penny of my savings..(Ooops i think i've gone crazy too fast )...but truly just can't help it..whenever i come across any m/c something starts happening to me..& those mammoth CPU benchmark & 3D mark scores in the vicinity of 20-30,000 just drives me nuts(I can't just be satisfied with 3500)..I spent approx.230 USD for this endeavor of reviving my laptop & i'm happy about it..happy coz i learnt a lot during this process,came across you guys,did things for myself & did it right, but on the specifications front,the technology has moved far far beyond..so i'm looking forward o catch up with it soon.. :lovetpu:

System Name Cannon
Processor Intel Core i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690-P D4
Cooling Corsair H100i PRO XT w/ Corsair ML120 White LED x2
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual 8GB
Storage 1TB 980 Pro w/Heatsink + 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe + 2TB MX500 + 500GB 850 Evo
Display(s) 34” Dell S3422DWG 3440x1440 144hz Curved + 27" Dell U2713H IPS 1440p + Dell P2219H IPS 1080p
Case Corsair 4000X RGB - 3xSP120 ELITE RGB (Front Intake) + 1xML120 White LED (Rear Exhaust)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE + Logitech z623 2.1
Power Supply Corsair RM850x SHIFT
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 || Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores None. Primary uses are browsing, music, gaming (mostly Battlefield & Doom) and virtualization!
I'm glad to see you worked things out from a hardware perspective! You say your WEI scores went down? Have you used a tool like CPUZ or tmonitor to measure your CPU speeds to see if your laptop is throttling them or not?

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
that's nice bro.
congratz for the (finally) successful upgrade :rockout:

unclewebb

Too bad you didn't take my advice and get Dual IDA mode working for you. Seeing both cores running at 2692.44 MHz with the 13.5 multiplier, now that would have made my day! :)

ThrottleStop would also let you lower your core voltage at the same time so there would not have been any increase in heat with this increase in performance. A win win situation. Maybe next time.

Too bad you didn't take my advice and get Dual IDA mode working for you. Seeing both cores running at 2692.44 MHz with the 13.5 multiplier, now that would have made my day! :)

ThrottleStop would also let you lower your core voltage at the same time so there would not have been any increase in heat with this increase in performance. A win win situation. Maybe next time.

Sorry mate..but i was hesitant to throttle up the cpu's that far,but yeah once for like 2 min.i did it .surely i'll do it again & post a screenshot soon..btw i could never forget that it was throttlestop only which kept my hopes high during the "nothing seems working"period..

I'm glad to see you worked things out from a hardware perspective! You say your WEI scores went down? Have you used a tool like CPUZ or tmonitor to measure your CPU speeds to see if your laptop is throttling them or not?

Actually WEI went down was a past case where my cpu wasn' t working up & my cpu & ram scores were like 3.2 now they are a respectable 6 & i don't really care for the graphic low score of 4.7

unclewebb

With any car or CPU I get my hands on, I always have to see what it will do flat out. Come on, make an old man happy. Let's see what your T9300 can really do with the help of ThrottleStop. :)

When I was first playing with this Dual IDA trick, I locked my T8100 at the 11.5 multi on both cores instead of the default 10.5 multiplier. By reducing the core voltage at the same time, temperatures were great. My old T8100 runs faster and cooler than Intel or Dell shipped it.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3025/ts3m.png

Not many overclocked laptops are Prime stable on both cores at those temps.

With any car or CPU I get my hands on, I always have to see what it will do flat out. Come on, make an old man happy. Let's see what your T9300 can really do with the help of ThrottleStop. :)

When I was first playing with this Dual IDA trick, I locked my T8100 at the 11.5 multi on both cores instead of the default 10.5 multiplier. By reducing the core voltage at the same time, temperatures were great. My old T8100 runs faster and cooler than Intel or Dell shipped it.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3025/ts3m.png

Not many overclocked laptops are Prime stable on both cores at those temps.

So okay..finally i locked both the cores in dual IDA as you said at 13.5 multiplier & u are right the temperatures are lower (idle state) even at full 2.6 Ghz OC'd.also i ran intel burn test but the temp at the full load were not too different..now what..but definitely u have suggested a very good way of overclocking..thanks & the cpu seemed very stable btw.

Attachments

• Dual IDA locked at 13.5.jpg
    Dual IDA locked at 13.5.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,119
  • at full load test temp.jpg
    at full load test temp.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,040

unclewebb

Thanks for posting that. I always like seeing some free performance. Did you try running WEI in Dual IDA?

You might be able to run reliably with a little less voltage. Maybe setting VID to 1.10 would be enough. This helps keep the full load heat down. You just need to adjust voltage when EIST is enabled and then you can go back into Dual IDA. 1.05 was enough for my T8100 but it runs a little slower than your CPU so you will likely need more than that.

It's a fun little trick without any negative side effects.

Edit: I just noticed that your first screen shot shows clock modulation throttling being used at 75%. That should always be at 100%. Use ThrottleStop to correct that Dell issue.

Many Dell laptops drop down to 75% when switching from AC to battery power for about 5 or 10 seconds and then switch back to 100%. That's OK. Any other time though, it's just a sign that your CPU is being slowed down for no particular reason. Common problem in many Dell laptops.

Last edited: