• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Setting up a 7.2 home sytem

cadaveca

My name is Dave
7.1 is pretty useless unless you plan to use bluray how ever there is the odd game that uses the 7.1.

You might want to same brand too due too possible matching issue's.

BIC do some great subs but this all so depends on what you are doing with them too.

Some AV's like mine have 2 sub outputs..

I do not agree with 7.1 being useless. It's great for stereo surround(left/right x3), as well as adding "ambience" filler sounds with certain receivers on 5.1 content.

Quite a few DTS movies have 7.1 tracks now, too, contrary to what has been posted. Well over 500, actually. ;) Most DTS-HD are 7.1, F.Y.I. DTS delivers higher-quality audio than Dolby Digital, in certain formats, so if you want the best sound, look towards 7.1 and DTS content....again, contrary to what's been posted.

I use a Yamaha 8160 7.2 amp. There are many 7.2 amps now.

Why .2?

Most of what I listen to is stereo content. Usually, stereos with 7.2 send both left/right bass to each respective sub, as well as L.F.E. effects from movie soundtracks(which get broadcast on both).

I find that because most users cannot get "perfect" speaker placement, .2 offers a better choice for balanced bass output.

simon_s

What i wanted was a 7.2 setup just for the sound so if it would be possible to connect 2 more speakers from a 5.1 and a extra sub from a 5.1 it would have more of a bass balance also as for the 2 extra speakers be a bit louder and in all directions.

out of interest, i have a pair of intimidation s5000 speakers i think at 350 watts each. Wondering what these would best connect to i don't think a home receiver could handle these?

Last edited:

simon_s

out of interest, i have a pair of intimidation s5000 speakers i think at 350 watts each. Wondering what these would best connect to i don't think a home receiver could handle these?

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Watts is not the question. the Ohm rating of the speakers are(2, 4, 6, or 8 ohm).

many high-end speakers are 6-ohm, but not many receivers are. 4 ohm usually isn't an issue.

rather than posting twice in a row, edit your previous post, ;)

simon_s

Watts is not the question. the Ohm rating of the speakers are(2, 4, 6, or 8 ohm).

many high-end speakers are 6-ohm, but not many receivers are. 4 ohm usually isn't an issue.

so would these speakers go onto a receiver that only has around 120 watts per channel? i think they are 4ohms and bi-wire able so can add each top and bottom to receiver separate.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
so would these speakers go onto a receiver that only has around 120 watts per channel? i think they are 4ohms and bi-wire able so can add each top and bottom to receiver separate.

if the amp supports 4-ohm, then sure. If it offers A/B channels, you can connect A to one set of poles, and B to the other. If there is a bridge between the pole sets though, you'll have to remove it before bi-wiring.

simon_s

if the amp supports 4-ohm, then sure. If it offers A/B channels, you can connect A to one set of poles, and B to the other. If there is a bridge between the pole sets though, you'll have to remove it before bi-wiring.

ye the amp supports 4 ohms but then what about the speaker watts and receiver watts per channel? can you just explain the a/b channels in a bit of depth lol cheers, ye it has the metal plate between. also where is best to bi-wire them onto the receiver? as it only has front left, front right etc

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
If something is recorded in a 5.1 format, then to ouput in 7.2 it has to be "virtualy streched" (let's go with that). Nothing I know of - there maybe loads of stuff, I just don't know - is recorded in that 7.2 format. There are standarts of recording and compressing the audio signal, and the gold standard today is 5.1.
What sub do you have exactly?
Yes it is possible to have two powered Subs via a 7.2CH setup. Just make sure you use identical Sub Woofers. From what I've heard, two subs will rock your home most definitely. It may very well be overkill. A good receiver will properly distribute power to the subs.

Depending on the amount of HDMI inputs on the receiver, you can connect everything using HDMI.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
ye the amp supports 4 ohms but then what about the speaker watts and receiver watts per channel? can you just explain the a/b channels in a bit of depth lol cheers, ye it has the metal plate between. also where is best to bi-wire them onto the receiver? as it only has front left, front right etc
you should not need to worry about that. wattage more refers to volume, and anything over 125W, in real terms, will make your brain bleed, anyway.

A/b channels are two sets of stereo pairs that broadcast the same audio. can be used to pipe sound into another room, run a second set of speakers, or to bi-amp speakers that support it.

A has left/right, as does B. You should see listings for such on the back panel, one set of jacks for each pair.

"A" left/right go to one set of jacks on main speaker, after removing plate. "B" goes to the other set on the same speaker. this provides(usually), power to mid/tweeter and subs separately, so that you can actually push 200W, or 250W, through one speaker.

simon_s

Yes it is possible to have two powered Subs via a 7.2CH setup. Just make sure you use identical Sub Woofers. From what I've heard, two subs will rock your home most definitely. It may very well be overkill. A good receiver will properly distribute power to the subs.

Depending on the amount of HDMI inputs on the receiver, you can connect everything using HDMI.

How do i connect subs via hdmi? yes i will be thinking of getting another identical sub however they seem to be generally small but fingers crossed they will work a treat. Im looking to get powered subs but not sure what the best way is to connect them together

simon_s

you should not need to worry about that. wattage more refers to volume, and anything over 125W, in real terms, will make your brain bleed, anyway.

A/b channels are two sets of stereo pairs that broadcast the same audio. can be used to pipe sound into another room, run a second set of speakers, or to bi-amp speakers that support it.

A has left/right, as does B. You should see listings for such on the back panel, one set of jacks for each pair.

"A" left/right go to one set of jacks on main speaker, after removing plate. "B" goes to the other set on the same speaker. this provides(usually), power to mid/tweeter and subs separately, so that you can actually push 200W, or 250W, through one speaker.

just inacase we have a party or something one day i wouldnt want it to overheat as the speakers are 300 watts plus and the receiver can only provide them with around 120 watts.
right that sort of makes sense (im getting there lol) can you see this picture and then explain from there http://www.audio-express.co.uk/productImages/YAM_673_2_VBG.jpg
thanks!
so after taking plates of take the top 2 positive negative to the a side of the front left and then the bottom 2 for the subs of the speakers to the b side? front left? and same again for the right?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I do not agree with 7.1 being useless. It's great for stereo surround(left/right x3), as well as adding "ambience" filler sounds with certain receivers on 5.1 content.

Quite a few DTS movies have 7.1 tracks now, too, contrary to what has been posted. Well over 500, actually. ;) Most DTS-HD are 7.1, F.Y.I. DTS delivers higher-quality audio than Dolby Digital, in certain formats, so if you want the best sound, look towards 7.1 and DTS content....again, contrary to what's been posted.

I use a Yamaha 8160 7.2 amp. There are many 7.2 amps now.

Why .2?

Most of what I listen to is stereo content. Usually, stereos with 7.2 send both left/right bass to each respective sub, as well as L.F.E. effects from movie soundtracks(which get broadcast on both).

I find that because most users cannot get "perfect" speaker placement, .2 offers a better choice for balanced bass output.

Yes there is getting more content for it but not all that much and tell you the truth a pair of speakers if the quality is high enough can beat a 5.1 setup it's just that the area is wider with multiple speakers.

And as for DD i have never liked it even back when it was on cassette decks. Hence why i like using Direct multichannel when possible.. And as for music direct or stereo is best way anyways..

Multiple speakers is so they can make speakers cheaper as a real good pair of speakers can give surround sound with high quality content.

Option i have on my AV is front with front high + rear or front + side and rear later being the better i thought if anything.

What he really need to do if any thing is get his ass in some HIFI shops like SuperFI if he lives in the UK as thats the only real true way of finding what you really want..

simon_s

Posted this in another thread but was told to keep it in here:
Hi just another quick post as the previous one really helped so thanks,
I am going for the 5.1 home theater option as my receiver has the option of 7.2 but don't really cut it from what i've heard, but what i wanted was 7 speakers in general alongside the 5.ch as i have a larger room so it will be more loud in general and as for 2 sub woofers the bass will be more balanced. what is the best way for 2 subwoofers (powered) to be connected via 1 output in case the receiver does not have 2.
Also the receiver is at 120 watts per channel i wanted to add in a pair to the front floor standing but are 300 watts? is there anyway these could be connected as they sound amazing.
thanks

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
How do i connect subs via hdmi? yes i will be thinking of getting another identical sub however they seem to be generally small but fingers crossed they will work a treat. Im looking to get powered subs but not sure what the best way is to connect them together
Subs are connected via Digital Coaxial (RG6+) not by HDMI that I am aware of. Your 7.2CH Digital Receiver will have Dual Sub out. Use your HDMI connections with Blu-Ray players, media players, game consoles etc., it should have 1 HDMI out that goes to your HDTV and several HDMI Inputs to add hardware.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Thanks for the links! as for the speakers i think on the receiver the power per channel is 120w would it matter if the speakers are slightly more powerful then this?

No. A slight variation is not going to matter. As cadaveca said its about the ohm rating too, most receivers allow you to switch between the value that matches your speakers. Very unlikely you'll do damage anyways.

7.1 is pretty useless unless you plan to use bluray

There are more HD 5.1 soundtracks than HD 7.1 soundtracks by a landslide even on bluray. 7.1 is dead for the average consumer.

I disagree. Although Bluray content is supporting the HD standards they are mostly doing so in HD 5.1 only. Studios have realised that 7.1 isnt going anywhere so started recorded primarily in Dolby Digital True HD 5.1 and DTS Masters 5.1 - The consumer still benefits from the higher bitrate and quality but without the speakers needed.

I

You are talking from experience, something the OP doesn't have. He is in love with the idea of .2, this is his first home cinema so he won't know how to critique anything. Give him any setup and he will enjoy it until he learns to develop his own tastes.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I disagree. Although Bluray content is supporting the HD standards they are mostly doing so in HD 5.1 only. Studios have realised that 7.1 isnt going anywhere so started recorded primarily in Dolby Digital True HD 5.1 and DTS Masters 5.1 - The consumer still benefits from the higher bitrate and quality but without the speakers needed.

DTS-HD Master AUDIO does not come in a 5.1 format. Just saying. It's native 7.1 with down-mixing to 5.1 or 2.1/2.0.

That belief you have that it does not have 7.1 native says it all, I'm afraid.

You are talking from experience, something the OP doesn't have. He is in love with the idea of .2, this is his first home cinema so he won't know how to critique anything. Give him any setup and he will enjoy it until he learns to develop his own tastes.

You are probably right, but that's besides the point. HD Audio, in and of itself, it a set of standards. Within these standards are designs for hardware configurations and such..and like OC'ing, I like to follow the reference format.

7.2 is not reference. 7.1 is.

But at the same time, 2.1 is not reference, but 2.0 is.

So how do you get both?

I'm thinking along the lines of having the best possible overall, not building something that might be limited. Sure, 5.1 is great, and 7.1 won't offer much more for most, but to ignore it is just not how I do things. I've been running 7.1 before HD AUdio and BluRay, I know there are TONNES of 7.1 DVDs, even since I own many of them. And most DO sound better in 7.1....for surround envelopment. Audio quality, on the other hand....:p...that is up to your own ears. :p

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
DTS-HD Master AUDIO does not come in a 5.1 format. Just saying. It's native 7.1 with down-mixing to 5.1 or 2.1/2.0.

That belief you have that it does not have 7.1 native says it all, I'm afraid.

I'm aware that DTS-Masters Audio be native upto 7.1. (keyword upto)

You'll see on a lot of movies, are DTS HD Masters 5.1 only. For example the Lethal Weapon 1-4 boxset, X-Men Trilogy boxset, Sherlock Homes 2011, Red Riding Hood, just to name a few all supports only DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 in English.

Even The Matrix on Blu-ray has dependant options for Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital True HD 5.1. Dolby Digital True HD 7.1 is nowhere in sight!

This is becoming a recurring pattern. Studios are ditching 7.1 and concentrating on 5.1. variations of the HD standard.

Just to confirm what Im saying is true:

English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English: Dolby Digital 5.1
French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English: Dolby Digital 5.1
French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1 (less)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lethal-Weapon-Collection-Blu-ray/14510/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/X-Men-Trilogy-Blu-ray/3761/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sherlock-Holmes-A-Game-of-Shadows-Blu-ray/31592/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Red-Riding-Hood-Blu-ray/22975/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Matrix-Blu-ray/9110/

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You'll see on a lot of movies, are DTS HD Masters 5.1 only

Older ones, or budget films, sure. Any new title is DTS HD-MA. DTS-HD-MA is 192 KHz 5.1, or 96 KHz 7.1, but I can guarantee those titles only have 96 KHz audio, which isn't, technically, HD-MA. It's HRA, or High-Res Audio. It's probably just the old DTS 96/24 track from the original with such titles. Not all HD-Audio capable receivers can do 5.1 in 192 KHz, with many only supporting stereo 192 KHz, so most HD-Audio tracks use 96KHz audio. It has more to do with the gear that was used to record with, and not really the disc or whatever.

Dolby, on the other hand, is something different. DTS has always offered higher-quality audio than Dolby, for whatever reasons, I don't really care, just how it has worked for many years.

Technically, I see this as titles purposely mislabeling things, if anything, really.

Anyway, this is all rather pedantic, so whatever. Really, the whole thing was using the .2 end of it, which extends the bass portion form a centralized sub, probably misplaced in a corner, to having left/right bass output, and the ability to forgo full tower speakers and use bookshelf speakers instead. Few people actually listen to HD content, barring movies, and most are either listening to TV broadcasts, or music playback. Leaving the .1 format and going to .2 makes that end, the audio playback, a much better experience.

Last edited:
System Name My baby
Older ones, or budget films, sure. Any new title is DTS HD-MA. DTS-HD-MA is 192 KHz 5.1, or 96 KHz 7.1, but I can guarantee those titles only have 96 KHz audio, which isn't, technically, HD-MA. It's HRA, or High-Res Audio. It's probably just the old DTS 96/24 track from the original with such titles.

I don't think it's just budget and old films. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is a new film (2011) and had a huge budget and grossed #1 worldwide and it also supports DTS-HD Master 5.1 only. (No HD 7.1)

Audio Codec: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 [3D/2D]

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7820/hp_year7_ultimate.html
http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/re...deathly-hallows-part-2-blu-ray-3d-review.html

You make a good point about some HD receivers not supporting 192 KHz @ 5.1, but most do. For the receivers that don't they have the option of playing it back in regular DTS or regular DD which is always selectable as an option.

I've actually sold my subwoofer a couple of years ago. As i've got older I found I don't like too much bass.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Harry Potter falls under the class of "older". The original film was released in 2001, long before HD Audio was out, and you can bet that the audio engineer didn't upgrade his gear very much sicne the first, if at all, and hence the 5.1 format.

Harry Potter came out on VHS, FFS! :roll:

Really when it comes down to movies and audio content, you need to look at who did the audio engineering. Guys that do many films, and keep up to date hardware, do DTS HD-MA in both 7.1 and 5.1 formats(software makes this pretty simple, actually). Guys that are "cork-sniffers" about audio, tend to not upgrade gear often, and in my opinion, output lower-quality stuff.

The only reason I bring it up, even, is that for any HT audio build, you really need to consider all factors. 7.1 content exists, so to forgo the capability just limits possibilities. You don't LOSE anything with 7.1...

But with so many problems in the audio chain, from mixer, to playback device, to receiver, cable type, blah, blah blah blah...there's really far too many choice for there to truly be any "right" way to do things, and it's better to overbuild than it is to underbuild, IMHO.

Posted this in another thread but was told to keep it in here:
Hi just another quick post as the previous one really helped so thanks,
I am going for the 5.1 home theater option as my receiver has the option of 7.2 but don't really cut it from what i've heard, but what i wanted was 7 speakers in general alongside the 5.ch as i have a larger room so it will be more loud in general and as for 2 sub woofers the bass will be more balanced. what is the best way for 2 subwoofers (powered) to be connected via 1 output in case the receiver does not have 2.
Also the receiver is at 120 watts per channel i wanted to add in a pair to the front floor standing but are 300 watts? is there anyway these could be connected as they sound amazing.
thanks
Here you go. Sub Woofe Wire.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6305&seq=1&format=2

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
subs in general are a gimmic to make up for mediocre performance of primary speakers.

Spend the extra $$ on better freestanding speakers and a head with enough power to run them, or amplified individual components. I love my Polk Monitor 60's, they have a great balance of power and range, no sub needed even in the open area of my living room and dining room.

If you have a larger room then a sub may be needed but you are going to need a huge room before a set of good floorstanding speakers can't provide the power.

simon_s

oh guys nearly getting there, i have the Pioneer VSX1122 and wondering how i can connect my intimidation s5000 speakers to the receiver by bi-wiring them on the right ports A.B (subs go to correct ports, mid - tweeter go to correct ports) as its a bit confusing. they are around 350 watts rms at 4 ohms but what will this change to once the back bridge has gone and they are bi wired as i think the receiver is at 6 ohms 150w per channel.