• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Origin and Windows 8 - experiences?

System Name this_is_so_leet_it_needs_no_name
Processor Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P8 P67-M Pro
Cooling MUX-120 with Dual Fan
Memory Samsung Memory DDR3 2133 Overclocked (non LP)
Video Card(s) XFX ATI/AMD 5870 1gb @ [tbc]
Storage 2*2tb Samsung Raid 0 + 64gb Kingston SSD
Display(s) BenQ G2420HDBL LED monitor
Case Lian Li PC-60 old skool alu case
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-Express (great)
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Win 7 64bit
Hi there

I had no problems at all, ever, with Origin on my Windows 7 install for over a year. Recently went to Windows 8, today decided to install Origin, had no end of problems.

Found some very similar forum posts after a quick google but none of their solutions worked. I did fix this in the end, but it wasn't elegant, and if it's just my PC having issues I may not bother posting it. So!

1) Did you manage to install Origin on Windows 8 (retail) with no issues? Specifically no update problems (black windows comes up and closes, nothing happens, Origin.exe wont run during first install and update?). I am guessing most did?!

2) If you come across this and have an issue that sounds like the above, just reply, I'll try and post my solution. It's a bit of a mess but I am running Origin now and it's happily downloading BF3!

So cheers
Nav

kcoleman86

Easy Fix

I was having the exact same issue. I downloaded the Origin Installer from the site and saved to my desktop. I then disabled my anti-virus and Firewall. (I had done these separate in my troubleshooting but both need to be disabled) I then ran the installer as administrator. (right click and run as administrator) POOF! everything worked.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Hi there

I had no problems at all, ever, with Origin on my Windows 7 install for over a year. Recently went to Windows 8, today decided to install Origin, had no end of problems.

Found some very similar forum posts after a quick google but none of their solutions worked. I did fix this in the end, but it wasn't elegant, and if it's just my PC having issues I may not bother posting it. So!

1) Did you manage to install Origin on Windows 8 (retail) with no issues? Specifically no update problems (black windows comes up and closes, nothing happens, Origin.exe wont run during first install and update?). I am guessing most did?!

2) If you come across this and have an issue that sounds like the above, just reply, I'll try and post my solution. It's a bit of a mess but I am running Origin now and it's happily downloading BF3!

So cheers
Nav

No issues here boss. But Origin can be picky about admin rights.

System Name this_is_so_leet_it_needs_no_name
Processor Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P8 P67-M Pro
Cooling MUX-120 with Dual Fan
Memory Samsung Memory DDR3 2133 Overclocked (non LP)
Video Card(s) XFX ATI/AMD 5870 1gb @ [tbc]
Storage 2*2tb Samsung Raid 0 + 64gb Kingston SSD
Display(s) BenQ G2420HDBL LED monitor
Case Lian Li PC-60 old skool alu case
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-Express (great)
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Win 7 64bit
Ok, I came across another issue today so I'm going to tackle both.

Problem: Origin doesn't complete install, DOS box pops up after agreeing to upgrade during install but nothing else.

Solution:
I allow Origin to install to this point. If you go to your x86 program files now and into Origin, you should see an Origin.exe which won't run and also an OriginTEMP.exe.
Despite running the installer as admin, there seemed to be a permissions issue preventing proper update. I simply changed the file access permissions on the whole Origin folder (full control - all) and ran Origin again. This solved this and Origin ran, updating fine.

Problem: Even once Origin in installed, BF3 is downloaded and installed, you click Play and nothing happens.

Solution:
Bit easier this one, go to http://battlelog.battlefield.com in your preferred browser, log in and install the 'update' for browser plugin. Now start BF3 from battlelog instead of Origin and it will run fine.

Protip for BF3: This injector looks good: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1564733&mpage=1 I used the one from the 1st video. The OP has updated the post quite recently...

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Ok, I came across another issue today so I'm going to tackle both.

Problem: Origin doesn't complete install, DOS box pops up after agreeing to upgrade during install but nothing else.

Solution:
I allow Origin to install to this point. If you go to your x86 program files now and into Origin, you should see an Origin.exe which won't run and also an OriginTEMP.exe.
Despite running the installer as admin, there seemed to be a permissions issue preventing proper update. I simply changed the file access permissions on the whole Origin folder (full control - all) and ran Origin again. This solved this and Origin ran, updating fine.

Problem: Even once Origin in installed, BF3 is downloaded and installed, you click Play and nothing happens.

Solution:
Bit easier this one, go to http://battlelog.battlefield.com in your preferred browser, log in and install the 'update' for browser plugin. Now start BF3 from battlelog instead of Origin and it will run fine.

Protip for BF3: This injector looks good: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1564733&mpage=1 I used the one from the 1st video. The OP has updated the post quite recently...
I have a feeling you are not using IE10 are you?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Worked ok for me on a
fresh install ,just ran installer as admin.

repear13

Hi there

So cheers
Nav
could you tell me how to fix the problem i have?
i recently bought battlefield 3 as a disc and i placed it in my windows 8 computer and i ran it. It installed Origin, but when i clicked origin it wont start up instead it popped up a DOS box, quickly disappeared and that was it.