• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with x800 XT PE

Klilyn

Hi, I just registered here to ask a question.
I'm having some problems that aren't really that big a deal, but they are annoying.

First a few simple background information:
Gfx Card: Radeon x800 XT PE AGP8X
Monitor: ViewSonic VA912-4 Series

Ok, here's the problem...
In almost any 3D game I run (mostly more recent games such as any game using the Source engine), I'm getting random spikey extrusions coming out of random models within the games. To be more descriptive, it's like if you were to pick random spots on a 3D model in the game such as a gun, and picking a couple random points on the gun, and stretching the skin of the model to some far away random point within the 3D environment. This gets annoying sometimes, as every so often, it'll stretch so wide that it becomes a visual blockade. To be honest, they look like spikes sticking out of models.
I hope this can be identified as something.

Anyway, another problem that isn't as crazy is the fact that my monitor seems to place random bits of green or magenta rectangles on the screen. Not sure what this is either. Anyone have any ideas? I'll try to get screenshots if at all possible.

System Name W.I.P.
Well...is this a new card, or has the problem just started?

Klilyn

Sorry for the dp, but I guess I'm treating this as a bump while putting up some screenshot links.

3D Model Spiking/Stretching Example: http://kpcore.com/spikeserror.jpg

Weird green/magenta Rectangles Example: http://kpcore.com/rectangleerror.jpg

EDIT:
Whoops, guess it's not a dp afterall :p

But, yeah... it's new. Well, not that new, but I bought it to use on the machine I brought to college this year, and as soon as I got to college to use it, I noticed these bugs. So I've been putting up with these since September 2006.

Another edit:
Here's a better example of the spiking models... as you can imagine, it gets annoying.
http://kpcore.com/spikeserror2.jpg

Last edited:

Kammster

Processor Sempron 64 2800+ DH-E6 (@2Ghz - bios limit)
Motherboard DFI NF3 250-AL (@250 FSB - 2000 HTT)
Cooling 92mm + 80mm Exhausts / Amd HSF mod:80mm fan + VF700 cuLED [mod to x800 fan control]
Memory 1GB Buffalo DDR 400 @416 3-4-4-8 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire X800 GTO (broken- sapphire is BAD)--256mb 6200
Storage WD 120 GB Caviar SE + 1GB Flash [80GB 7200.9 offline]
Display(s) 19" Samsung Widesceen LCD
Case Xtech cheapo
Audio Device(s) onboard - Realtek 6Ch
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power 550W w/ Antec 120mmLED
Software Windows XP SP2 + nforce 76.45 + nforce 5.10
sounds like artifacting,
if its old card check your temps, and underclock the card
if a new card return it.

Klilyn

I'm averaging below 46C idle, 46-56C doing desktop work at max resolution, not sure how to check while running a full screen game...

scratch that, it's over around the upper 60's lower 70's ingame.

Last edited: