• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

About HD 6950 temp and fan speed

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
I'll explain the psu hatred a little. Don't worry about thinking you fucked up, you didn't. You like most PC builders got caught out. I did, and most of the people who have PSU problems also did.

PSU's ATM are in a bad position. They have a wattage system that doesn't work and is open to abuse by manufacturers.

ATM a psu only has to hit it's target wattage to be rated for that wattage. Unfortunately PC's don't spike with wattage they draw a constant wattage from the unit.

There is also another flaw in the system. A psu is rated on it's total wattage output and not the wattage per rail.

As you probably know a PC draws a few different voltages from a PSU. Those voltages have a rail of their own. So the 3.3v rail can do a set ampage, the 5v will have a set ampage, the 12v will have an ampage ect ect.

The problem is the total of all of the power drawn is the rated wattage for the unit. And in older design computers where the 3v and 5v rails were heavily drawn upon the PSU had is strength here. In a current machine the 12v rail is the important one. You don't need an expensive PSU, you just need a branded one that lets you know the PSU has it's strengths in the 12v rail.

Manufacturers continue to pump out high wattage PSU's that are strong in the 3.3 and 5 volt rails. These psu's are all dangerous in a modern machine as the 12v rails are often weak, and with the draw on the 12v rail they become a very real fire hazard.

your PSU sticker should look like this.

Notice how you can see the Power available per rail.

If you put a link up for your local hardware site i'm sure a few people will look at the range available and pick a Budget PSU that will be safe and powerful enough for a crossfire system without breaking your bank.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
By the time I have the money to change to a good PSU the 6950's will be obsolete!I guess I fucked up.What was I thinking getting the cheapest PSU possible????:banghead::banghead:

6950s are a hell of a card but they are already obselete - a 7950 is roughly head to head with 6970 give or take a few points here and there.

8xxx series will be out later this year.

System Name Cerberus
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Antec Kuhler H2o 620
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Strix 1080Ti
Storage ADATA SX8200PNP 256 GB + Western Digital WD10EARS-00MVWB0 1TB
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Xilence Performance X 750W
Mouse ROG Gladius II Origin
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I'll explain the psu hatred a little. Don't worry about thinking you fucked up, you didn't. You like most PC builders got caught out. I did, and most of the people who have PSU problems also did.

PSU's ATM are in a bad position. They have a wattage system that doesn't work and is open to abuse by manufacturers.

ATM a psu only has to hit it's target wattage to be rated for that wattage. Unfortunately PC's don't spike with wattage they draw a constant wattage from the unit.

There is also another flaw in the system. A psu is rated on it's total wattage output and not the wattage per rail.

As you probably know a PC draws a few different voltages from a PSU. Those voltages have a rail of their own. So the 3.3v rail can do a set ampage, the 5v will have a set ampage, the 12v will have an ampage ect ect.

The problem is the total of all of the power drawn is the rated wattage for the unit. And in older design computers where the 3v and 5v rails were heavily drawn upon the PSU had is strength here. In a current machine the 12v rail is the important one. You don't need an expensive PSU, you just need a branded one that lets you know the PSU has it's strengths in the 12v rail.

Manufacturers continue to pump out high wattage PSU's that are strong in the 3.3 and 5 volt rails. These psu's are all dangerous in a modern machine as the 12v rails are often weak, and with the draw on the 12v rail they become a very real fire hazard.

your PSU sticker should look like this.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-171-028-05.jpg

Notice how you can see the Power available per rail.

If you put a link up for your local hardware site i'm sure a few people will look at the range available and pick a Budget PSU that will be safe and powerful enough for a crossfire system without breaking your bank.

Thanks a lot.Very informative.Can you tell me exactly how much Amps I need in the 12V rails for 2 6950 in crossfire.Or just recommend me some models from reputed brands that are good for me?

Actually do both of them :D!

System Name Lian Li Carbon fiber ed.
Processor Intel i5 2500k 4.6Ghz 24/7 Max OC 5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Swiftech blocks, 360 Xflow rad, Swiftech 120 rad, Liang with XSPC res/pump top.
Memory 8Gb Mushkin 1600Mhz 8-9-8-24
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6950 2Gb
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 128 / Western Digital 160
Display(s) ASUS 25,5" wide VW266h
Power Supply Corsair HX620 modular
Software Windows 7 64
Be so kind and take 5 minutes of reading why a good videocard needs a good psu. You posted it's your first here. People want to help you save money by saying your psu is crap. Ok it's not good news but it's the truth. If you took the time to read a bit like we all do then you would not look like a screaming child. Crossfire you can forget about. I also have a 6950 2Gb and a Corsair HX620w psu which is a expensive and good psu but i would not hang a second card on it with my system oc'ed. Just be careful with your system. Would be a pita if your psu would kill it.

System Name Dell inspiron 5570
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
Motherboard Dell Inc.
Memory SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-19200
Video Card(s) Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Storage Intel Optane+932GBHDD w/ External Crucial M500 240GB ssd
Display(s) 15.6" w/ Extended display Samsung 27"
Audio Device(s) Realtek Audio
Mouse ONN Wireless
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64)
Benchmark Scores HaHa yeah right :p
Thanks a lot.Very informative.Can you tell me exactly how much Amps I need in the 12V rails for 2 6950 in crossfire.Or just recommend me some models from reputed brands that are good for me?

Actually do both of them :D!

It appears based on AMDs Certified Power Supplies page offerings 60(A) or more total on the 12V+ to run Crossfire. But there is more to a PSU than that number alone. Read up on PSUs to learn what separates quality ones from iffy ones.

You can do most of this just researching and reading the manufacturers information. Example would be AMD graphics cards in crossfire would mean you need to reference AMD, your motherboard, and your PSU (or potential PSU).
AMD CrossFire™ is where you should start reading up to gain some basic knowledge. You can see at the bottom the link to AMD CrossFire™ Certified Power Supplies. They have redone this page and it doesn't appear to be completely up to date but you can see what AMD considers certified. If you were to go get the specs on the 2 units they recommend you could then match up a equivalent unit from a reputable company like the ones mentioned already.
Here I attached the specs on what AMD claims will do the trick. See images below.

I like the Corsair but other quality brands were mentioned in this thread. Here is a comparable unit. CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W Current Price: $89.99
$69.99 after $20.00 rebate card.

Always research first, then research some more (its free), then buy. When you research try to use validated or at least somewhat reputable sources. Never ever just take things for face value in this world today. Forums such as this one are great if you do your homework. Not everyone in here that offers opinions have the background to support what they type. I by far am not the most knowledgeable on here but if you look at post counts and read what many that have been around a long time say you will see pretty quick based on their track record who knows what. Next time you make a purchase it does not guarantee it wont be a lemon every company mass producing spits out 1 pos sooner or later. But the odds will be you will be extremely satisfied and you will have a greater understanding of exactly what you own that actually works.

Now don't beat yourself up we have all learned our lessons in some manner. Be glad you didn't learn this lesson buying a home or car. :D The bright side is there are people at TPU that are very smart on this and have helped me and you for free. :)

Attachments

• bqt_L7.JPG
    bqt_L7.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 460
  • bqt_L8.JPG
    bqt_L8.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
It appears based on AMDs Certified Power Supplies page offerings 60(A) or more total on the 12V+ to run Crossfire. But there is more to a PSU than that number alone. Read up on PSUs to learn what separates quality ones from iffy ones.

You can do most of this just researching and reading the manufacturers information. Example would be AMD graphics cards in crossfire would mean you need to reference AMD, your motherboard, and your PSU (or potential PSU).
AMD CrossFire™ is where you should start reading up to gain some basic knowledge. You can see at the bottom the link to AMD CrossFire™ Certified Power Supplies. They have redone this page and it doesn't appear to be completely up to date but you can see what AMD considers certified. If you were to go get the specs on the 2 units they recommend you could then match up a equivalent unit from a reputable company like the ones mentioned already.
Here I attached the specs on what AMD claims will do the trick. See images below.

I like the Corsair but other quality brands were mentioned in this thread. Here is a comparable unit. CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W Current Price: $89.99
$69.99 after $20.00 rebate card.

Always research first, then research some more (its free), then buy. When you research try to use validated or at least somewhat reputable sources. Never ever just take things for face value in this world today. Forums such as this one are great if you do your homework. Not everyone in here that offers opinions have the background to support what they type. I by far am not the most knowledgeable on here but if you look at post counts and read what many that have been around a long time say you will see pretty quick based on their track record who knows what. Next time you make a purchase it does not guarantee it wont be a lemon every company mass producing spits out 1 pos sooner or later. But the odds will be you will be extremely satisfied and you will have a greater understanding of exactly what you own that actually works.

Now don't beat yourself up we have all learned our lessons in some manner. Be glad you didn't learn this lesson buying a home or car. :D The bright side is there are people at TPU that are very smart on this and have helped me and you for free. :)

I am in Greece so no NewEgg for me.But thank you all for the replies.I think I know what I must look for now.Until I have the money again for a PSU the second 6950 will stay in the box.I will see what I can find and post it back here for approval :D

System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
I found one that I am pretty sure is good enough:
Corsair GS 800
It's damn expensive but a local hardware store here has it with a very attractive offer.What do you think of this?It is Corsair,it is 800W and it has a single 12V rail with 66 A on it.Plus a 140mm Double Ball-Bearing fan,Bronze 80+,and official support for multi GPUs.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Exaclty because I went for crossfire I can't afford a better PSU now!

Wrong, better way of thinking would be that you cannot afford crossfire not that you cannot afford a better psu.

No,

but youre welcome to ignore us and try it anyway. Its your hardware after all not ours

BINGO!!,

Anyways can you not buy online ?.. Amazon maybe ?.

System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
well you being from greece - I dont know what is available to you or what your maximum budget is - Im guessing as low as possible.

if this is a new PC, I recommend trying to get a refund on that Kentek PSU and putting the money togther with what you have towards something good. otherwise just stick to the GS 800.

its got 3 years warranty and it should be 800watts more reliable then your current PSU when it comes to providing sustained and clean power, though its only a bronze certification and not as elite as silver or gold but that shouldnt detract from the quality compared to the kentek which is just a total mystery.

even though kentek says its an 800w PSU, which most users think is great because bigger number = better but thats certainly not the case when it comes to PSUs.

Corsair have an excellent track record when it comes to their PSUs and like i said there are quite a few reviewers who overload their units and pull 50-80 more watts then what the unit is rated for during testing and the PSU just carries on working and working.

kentek on the other hand, has none of this, reviewers probably dont even waste their time reviewing it, and when they do its probably only so they can test it to destruction so it never harms any PC components in its life span.

you cant trust the specs thats printed on the side of the PSU unless it comes from a reputable manufacturer and Kentek sure as hell aint one of them.

Read our stickied PSU guide - It covers a lot of info on the manufacturers, especially the ones to buy and the ones to straight out avoid, then make your choice on what PSUs are available to you.

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
much Amps I need in the 12V rails for 2 6950 in crossfire

The 6950 needs 158W's each.
The 6970 needs 207W's each.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_6950_6970_review,11.html

Your PC will also have a power draw based on the CPU/motherboard and ram. The chip you have with some overclocking can up to 305W's under load.

therefore since Wattage (P) = Current (I) x voltage (V).

Your V = 12.
Your P = 207 + 207 + 305 = 719W
And your Current needed will be P/V = 60 Amps

That further divides onto the rails.

So your GPU's will need 207/12 = 17.2 amps each.
and the CPU will need 305/12 = 25 amps.

To answer your Question about the Gs800. Yes it will be fine. This review shows it is capable of giving 751W's to a system with 2x 590 nvidia cards. Your total power draw of 719W's will fall inside that :D

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_gs800_review,7.html

I'm very pleased you have chosen to upgrade the PSU BTW. You might not notice the difference, But rest assured your PC will be far far safer.

As for Brand in europe I find FSP to be a very well priced brand.

http://www.plaisio.gr/ypologistes-a...-ypologisti/psu-trofodotiko.htm?POWER_W=800 W

http://www.plaisio.gr/ypologistes-a...eries-TX-750W-CP-9020042-EU-CP-9020042-EU.htm

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.806224

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.700870

http://www.pixmania.gr/gr/gr/047506...Τροφοδοτικο-pc-gx-750-w-(rs-750-acaa-e3).html

http://www.pixmania.gr/gr/gr/17600761/art/corsair/Τροφοδοσια-pc-cx750-80plus-bronze.html

http://www.pixmania.gr/gr/gr/10946297/art/ocz/Τροφοδοσια-pc-zs-series-750-w-(ocz-zs750w-eu).html

that last OCz would get my vote, It's a good price, and if you use the 6950's as standard with 158W power draw then it should be fine :D

158W + 158W + 305W = 621W's @D

just within tolerance :D

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/ZS_750W/2.html

(I speak English BTW you have no idea how interesting navigating a site in a non native language is!)

Last edited:
System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
The 6950 needs 158W's each.
The 6970 needs 207W's each.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_6950_6970_review,11.html

Your PC will also have a power draw based on the CPU/motherboard and ram. The chip you have with some overclocking can up to 305W's under load.

therefore since Wattage (P) = Current (I) x voltage (V).

Your V = 12.
Your P = 207 + 207 + 305 = 719W
And your Current needed will be P/V = 60 Amps

That further divides onto the rails.

So your GPU's will need 207/12 = 17.2 amps each.
and the CPU will need 305/12 = 25 amps.

To answer your Question about the Gs800. Yes it will be fine. This review shows it is capable of giving 751W's to a system with 2x 590 nvidia cards. Your total power draw of 719W's will fall inside that :D

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_gs800_review,7.html

I'm very pleased you have chosen to upgrade the PSU BTW. You might not notice the difference, But rest assured your PC will be far far safer.

As for Brand in europe I find FSP to be a very well priced brand.

http://www.plaisio.gr/ypologistes-a...-ypologisti/psu-trofodotiko.htm?POWER_W=800 W

http://www.plaisio.gr/ypologistes-a...eries-TX-750W-CP-9020042-EU-CP-9020042-EU.htm

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.806224

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.700870

http://www.pixmania.gr/gr/gr/047506...Τροφοδοτικο-pc-gx-750-w-(rs-750-acaa-e3).html

http://www.pixmania.gr/gr/gr/17600761/art/corsair/Τροφοδοσια-pc-cx750-80plus-bronze.html

http://www.pixmania.gr/gr/gr/10946297/art/ocz/Τροφοδοσια-pc-zs-series-750-w-(ocz-zs750w-eu).html

that last OCz would get my vote, It's a good price, and if you use the 6950's as standard with 158W power draw then it should be fine :D

158W + 158W + 305W = 621W's @D

just within tolerance :D

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/ZS_750W/2.html

(I speak English BTW you have no idea how interesting navigating a site in a non native language is!)

I can't believe you actually searched the greek sites!These are the sites I was searching in too as they are the most popular here.I had checked all of the PSU's on your list before except for the last OCZ one.
It's also very good but the GS800 looks slightly better.I can get it for 93 euros let's say 20 euros more than the OCZ.I think I''l wait a bit more time to get the money for the GS800 and only then I will do the crossfire.The Kentek will hold until then.

BTW we rushed to blame the overheating or the PSU for the shutdowns.It was none of them in the end.A friend living next door had the exact same problem because it was raining that day and the house's electricity was rather unstable.I also now remember that day the lights and a small heater I have in my room blinked 2-3 times but the PC didn't shut off.Later the lights and the heater didn't blink but the PC shut down 2 times and restarted once which is why I made this topic.So I guess it was because of which devices got enough power in the unstable periods or something like that about the house.It never did it again yesterday or today.Especially today where I had nothing to do and played GTA IV for like 4 hours straight with the GPU fan at 40% with no overheating or crashing problems at all.

Anyway this doesn't mean I will go crossfire with the Kentek.I don't trust it anymore after all I've read.I will stick with it for some months leaving the Power Color 6950 in the shelf and after I get the GS800 I will put them together.:D

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
If you have unstable electrics there's even more need to invest in a decent power supply :D

The corsair you have picked will be perfect.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
6950 2gb are far from being obsolet... they perform really good in every actual games (i have a club3d 6950 2gb oc'ed to 6970 frequ) (mainly why i will wait 8xxx series xD)

i have a decent powersupply with not so bad rating on it: Cooler Master GX lite 600w wich does all fine with my rigs its maybe a singlerail and wouldnt handle a crossfire but who care at 70$~ (69.90chf actually) why bother crossfire 6950 atm keep it single and wait next gen.

well i reckon its my opinion only soooo im right for me but not for all (or im right for all and not for me ... wait??? errhh...)

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
6950 2gb are far from being obsolet... they perform really good in every actual games (i have a club3d 6950 2gb oc'ed to 6970 frequ) (mainly why i will wait 8xxx series xD)

100%

I run BF3, Far Cry 3, Dayz, ALL in 1920X1200, @ high setting's.
And I'm using a 1Gb 6950.
Their Stable, with Mature Driver's now, and Perform Well.
I have a 7970LCS, and It of Course IS faster, But to say a 6950 is Obsolete is Silly.
And I use a Corsair 600Watt,,with NO issues in regards to Power @ all.
Even When running Hybrid Phys-x as well.

Last edited:
System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare

i have a decent powersupply with not so bad rating on it: Cooler Master GX lite 600w wich does all fine with my rigs its maybe a singlerail and wouldnt handle a crossfire but who care at 70$~ (69.90chf actually) why bother crossfire 6950 atm keep it single and wait next gen.

well i reckon its my opinion only soooo im right for me but not for all (or im right for all and not for me ... wait??? errhh...)

I am not really that kind of buyer.When I had to choose a GPU months ago I was between the 6950 and 7870.About same performance for half the price!And 6950's were unlockable too.Why pay more just to have the latest gen?

And for the crossfire:Getting a 7970 Ghz edition for example.For the same price I can crossfire two 6950's which are almost 6970's when unlocked and get performance close to a 6990 which by far superior to a single 7970 Ghz edition.

Same for the 8xxx series coming up they will be too expensive because they are "New" and you can get better performance for less money by the previous gen (as long as there are no major improvements like a new DX support like from 4xxx series to 5xxx series).:D

Last edited:
System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
But to say a 6950 is Obsolete is Silly.

You probably didn't read what I wrote exactly.I didn't say they are obsolete and I was trying to make fun of my tight budget because I can't afford the PSU:ohwell:

Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
woohoo yay for tight budget :toast:

worth to mention i paid less than 90$ for my 6950(less than a week of use)... because... the previous owner Failed Bios flash... on ... both ... SWITCH! yup thats right he even messed up backup bios.... luckly i could have it to works perfectly ... thanks TPU Bioses database.

also im a all out for Ricardo.ch > a Ebay kind of site but for Switzerland, My case CG Mobo WC AIO mouse nearly all my rigs part come from here... Mobo 970 Extrem 3 from ASRock well ... factory new sealed box 60ish$, talk about budget
ok ok i know its not a 990 chipset but its compatible with Vishera/Piledriver and despite 970 cant QCFX/CFX that mobo can do it ... with a Whooping 16/4 lane layout ... oh wait i dont care about QCFX/CFX so no problem.

My "OLD" 6850 was obsolet ... even versus a 5850 (HEY WAIT WHAT??? oh yes the 5xxx serie performed better ... afaik) but my 6950 is a pearl i cant decide if i try to unlock shader by Modding the bios or with a 6970 bios ... (my bios is allready moded for 6970 core/mem frequ)

sooooo kids what did we learn?

*me me me!!!*

yup?

* Kentek is a POC!*:nutkick:

wellll yes just like Raptoxx psu they dont hold the number they advance, and what more?

*if going budget rampage allways look on "brand that rocks" like Corsair Enermax Antec Cooler Master (srsly CM??? yup yup CM!) etc etc etc, and also BETTER A 2nd hand brand PSU than a "chinese firecracker"*

wait what? chinese firecrrr.... you mean noname and POC reconised brand?

*AY Cap'tain Cr*** AHOYYY!*:rockout:

sorry about that ... im kinda Schyzophrenic ... and not funny at all ... i know it ...:banghead:

System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
woohoo yay for tight budget :toast:

worth to mention i paid less than 90$ for my 6950(less than a week of use)... because... the previous owner Failed Bios flash... on ... both ... SWITCH! yup thats right he even messed up backup bios.... luckly i could have it to works perfectly ... thanks TPU Bioses database.

also im a all out for Ricardo.ch > a Ebay kind of site but for Switzerland, My case CG Mobo WC AIO mouse nearly all my rigs part come from here... Mobo 970 Extrem 3 from ASRock well ... factory new sealed box 60ish$, talk about budget
ok ok i know its not a 990 chipset but its compatible with Vishera/Piledriver and despite 970 cant QCFX/CFX that mobo can do it ... with a Whooping 16/4 lane layout ... oh wait i dont care about QCFX/CFX so no problem.

My "OLD" 6850 was obsolet ... even versus a 5850 (HEY WAIT WHAT??? oh yes the 5xxx serie performed better ... afaik) but my 6950 is a pearl i cant decide if i try to unlock shader by Modding the bios or with a 6970 bios ... (my bios is allready moded for 6970 core/mem frequ)

sooooo kids what did we learn?

*me me me!!!*

yup?

* Kentek is a POC!*:nutkick:

wellll yes just like Raptoxx psu they dont hold the number they advance, and what more?

*if going budget rampage allways look on "brand that rocks" like Corsair Enermax Antec Cooler Master (srsly CM??? yup yup CM!) etc etc etc, and also BETTER A 2nd hand brand PSU than a "chinese firecracker"*

wait what? chinese firecrrr.... you mean noname and POC reconised brand?

*AY Cap'tain Cr*** AHOYYY!*:rockout:

sorry about that ... im kinda Schyzophrenic ... and not funny at all ... i know it ...:banghead:

Can you tell me what gets you so high and happy?Cause I might wanna try it too!

LOL I didn't understand anything!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Since you all got obsessed with my PSU here is screenshot of it's front label:

[url]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7791/dsc01265u.jpg[/URL]

//www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/372840-15-computer-stuck-standby

He had the same PSU for a GTX 570 and he couldn't start the PC.

In this post the guy with the best answer says:
Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!
Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 45°C to 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

What exactly is that?Can you tell me anything more by the label cause I don't know much about the specs (quite obvious since I bought this PSU).
You're 12v is only "capable" of 660 watts assuming the label is correct (which it very well might not be.)
12v1@27a + 12v2@28a = 12v @ 55a = 660 watts. Make sure that you're not running your entire rig off a single 12v rail considering one rail only delivers ~330-watts max. Try changing which PCI-E power connectors your video card is using and see if it makes a difference. If you don't want to mess with it get a better PSU like a Corsair or a Seasonic because most 600-watt quality PSUs can handle more than your current PSU.

Personally I like a PSU with a single high output 12v rail but that is just me. Like this, I have this on my X79 rig.

I also have a Corsair GS800 on the rig that Norton gave me (140-watt Phenom II 965).

So one 12v rail is my preference, I don't live divvying up the load.

Last edited:
System Name windows 10 pro 64bit
Processor i5 6600k 4.4ghz 1.25v
Motherboard asus maximus viii gene
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock pro
Memory 2x8(16)GB 2860mhz
Video Card(s) gtx 1070 EVGA
Storage ssd x2 128gb raid0/ ssd480gb
Display(s) AOC 1440p 75hz
Case Aerocool DS Cube
Audio Device(s) asus motherboard intergrated
Power Supply be Quiet pure power L8 600w
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw wireles
Keyboard Logitec G213
Software my favorite World of Tanks :) is that a software?? :)
well i from my own expirience with that card i had same issue..just use msi afterburner and make ur own fan curve..i made mine work on 90% on 65c and 100%on 70c....never gone above 75c :)

VR HMD Medion Erazer
Can you tell me what gets you so high and happy?Cause I might wanna try it too!

LOL I didn't understand anything!

no worries its natural (also as a non natural english speaker im rarely understandable)

i was juts happy to see an other "tight budget" builder, the end part of the post (Schyzo)
was about bringing down Kentek Raptoxx and other POC brand (POC> Piece of crap).

System Name Cerberus
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
no worries its natural (also as a non natural english speaker im rarely understandable)

i was juts happy to see an other "tight budget" builder, the end part of the post (Schyzo)
was about bringing down Kentek Raptoxx and other POC brand (POC> Piece of crap).

Haha OK then.

Total wattage required 719?OK the Kentek would never make it now that I think about it considering it can give at max 55a = 660 watts for the 12V rails.