• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rambus Introduces R+ LPDDR3 Memory Architecture Solution

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Rambus Inc., the innovative technology solutions company that brings invention to market, today announced its first LPDDR3 offering targeted at the mobile industry. In the Rambus R+ solution set, the R+ LPDDR3 memory architecture is fully compatible with industry standards while providing improved power and performance. This allows customers to differentiate their products in a cost-effective manner with improved time-to-market. Further helping improve design and development cycles, the R+ LPDDR3 is also available with Rambus' collaborative design and integration services.

The R+ LPDDR3 architecture includes both a controller and a DRAM interface and can reduce active memory system power by up to 25% and supports data rates of up to 3200 megabits per second (Mbps), which is double the performance of existing LPDDR3 technologies. These improvements to power efficiency and performance enable longer battery life and enhanced mobile device functionality for streaming HD video, gaming and data-intensive apps.

"Each generation of mobile devices demands even higher performance with lower power. The R+ LPDDR3 technology enables the mobile market to use our controller and DRAM solutions to provide unprecedented levels of performance, with a significant power savings," said Kevin Donnelly, senior vice president and general manager of the Memory and Interface Division at Rambus. "Since this technology is a part of our R+ platform, beyond the improvements in power and performance, we're also maintaining compatibility with today's standards to ensure our customers have all the benefits of the Rambus' superior technology with reduced adoption risk."

The seed to the improved power and performance offered by the R+ LPDDR3 architecture is a low-swing implementation of the Rambus Near Ground Signaling technology. Essentially, this single-ended, ground-terminated signaling technology allows devices to achieve higher data rates with significantly reduced IO power. The R+ LPDDR3 architecture is built from ground up to be backward compatible with LPDDR3 supporting same protocol, power states and existing package definitions and system environments.

Additional key features of the R+ LPDDR3 include:
  • 1600 to 3200 Mbps data rates
  • Multi-modal support for LPDDR2, LPDDR3 and R+ LPDDR3
  • DFI 3.1 and JEDEC LPDDR3 standards compliant
  • Supports package-on-package and discrete packaging types
  • Includes LabStation software environment for bring-up, characterization, and validation in end-user application
  • Silicon proven design in GLOBALFOUNDRIES 28 nm-SLP process
The R+ LPDDR3 memory controller and DRAM interface solutions are currently available. For additional information on the Rambus R+ LPDDR3, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
I wish this "company" would go under already. Everytime I see their name in a press release it makes my skin crawl. Slimy crooks.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
aka patent trolls

Lol finally they make something useful

I wish this "company" would go under already. Everytime I see their name in a press release it makes my skin crawl. Slimy crooks.

I see this every time Rambus is mentioned, yet, no one seems to think that the companies Rambus sues are stupid for not checking patents to begin with?:shadedshu

Any company with staff lazy enough to get caught out by Rambus deserves it.

:slap:

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
I see this every time Rambus is mentioned, yet, no one seems to think that the companies Rambus sues are stupid for not checking patents to begin with?:shadedshu

The issue with the US patent office is that they grant some really ridiculous patents. It wouldn't be unusual for two patents filed by two individual entities to be nearly identical with a slight deviation in method or mechanism. Other times, patents granted can be vague or overly broad. It may be more difficult and time consuming (greater opportunity cost) to comb through all existing patents pertaining to the technology versus simply crossing fingers and praying that nothing is being infringed.

I'm talking out of my ass here so forgive me if I'm wrong.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It may be more difficult and time consuming (greater opportunity cost) to comb through all existing patents pertaining to the technology versus simply crossing fingers and praying that nothing is being infringed.

Something being too hard, or time consuming, is no excuse. You must always face the consequences of your actions...or lack of action, as the case may be.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Something being too hard, or time consuming, is no excuse. You must always face the consequences of your actions...or lack of action, as the case may be.

If a firm's risk assessment of the situation shows that it's more beneficial to forgo the extra research and maximize profit, they'll do it. It's not uncommon, similar to how Ford opted to assume the possibility of lawsuit payouts rather than recall a particular lineup of cars in the 1900s because they figured it would be cheaper to pay legal penalties for the small percentage of customers who would be affected by their faulty cars than to have to repair each and every single unit produced. It's not so much that it's more difficult or time consuming, but that it's more costly.

Again, talking out of my ass here, but this is what I learned in intro to economics in high school and microeconomics in college.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.

I think the prevailing sentiment is that any company who sets out to hide their IP with intent to ambush companies, to destroy evidence when they know it will be germane to a litigation suit doesn't paint them in a favourable light. You might want to note that the percentage of suits that Rambus brings versus their actual wins is pretty damn low.
LSI, STMicro and MediaTek for example.

You could also argue that even in cases that they win, the price they pay tends to outweigh any remuneration - the invalidation of the Barth patents for instance that Rambus had previously used to "win" judgements.

cadaveca said:
the companies Rambus sues are stupid for not checking patents to begin with?

It's not the sued companies fault that patent system is broken, but I dunno maybe you work for rambus ....

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It's not the sued companies fault that patent system is broken, but I dunno maybe you work for rambus ....

:laugh:

LuLz.

No, I do not work for Rambus. That's just what occurs to me every time I see people complain about Rambus. Clearly, by this news post, they are still developing technology of some sorts, and aren't just patent trolls, contrary to most posts complaining that they are only that.

And if the patent system is broke, and Rambus capitalized on that, well, good for them. Kinda how the economy works...they aren't the problem, just a result of the problem. which makes it all just "meh" situation to me.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
:laugh:

LuLz.

No, I do not work for Rambus. That's just what occurs to me every time I see people complain about Rambus. Clearly, by this news post, they are still developing technology of some sorts, and aren't just patent trolls, contrary to most posts complaining that they are only that.

And if the patent system is broke, and Rambus capitalized on that, well, good for them. Kinda how the economy works...they aren't the problem, just a result of the problem. which makes it all just "meh" situation to me.

Oh gods this is a pit of pure hatred you're treading into. People call Apple patent trolls, Rambus is like a Patent Troll God to these people. Also soon they will come with arguments about corporate greed and morals and the ruination of everything.

This would explain so much if it was about discussing technology patents.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Oh yes, even here in the "jungle" everybody knows that except Apple, Rambus are the biggest patent trolls ever. No doubt about it.

System Name Avalon
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3770K @ 1C: 42x, 2C: 41x, 3C: 40x, 4C: 39x (scalped, Coollaboratory Liquid Pro)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A (B&W Edition) @ Passive
Memory 2x SK Hynix HMT451U6MFR8C-PB @ 2400 11-13-12-27 CR1 1.575 V
Video Card(s) Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Storage SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB; RAID0: 2x WDC WD10JPVT
Display(s) SΛMSUNG S27A550
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced White
Power Supply Seasonic X-460 FANLESS
Software Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Every time I see rambus, I search "fuck you" before name.