• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VoIP problems (Caller ID specific)

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
Ok, so if I have posted this in the wrong place - please move it to the correct place. Thanks.

First of all, the modem (optical connection and WLAN features) is the Icotera IGW-2000.
Here is a link to it's .pdf file: http://www.alternetivo.cz/img.asp?attid=125317

Under the line VOIP, it clearly says that it can manage Caller ID, i.e. show me who is calling.
But.. I have an older, much older - from around the 90's. The brand is "Telematic Logger", and if I recall correct a Swedish brand.

Problem is, I switched from one ISP, since they could not provide me with a service that I wanted - I payed too much. So I switched to a brand new ISP, who has helped me a lot.
Until now.

Both my new ISP and the telefon company, called Telavox are more or less clueless why the logger doesn't show any numbers. With the previous ISP, it worked. Even could show foreign numbers coming in.

So, I took it apart, and added an extra connection for the telefon, and routed the connection from the IGW-2000, to the Telematic Logger, and from that to a phone..
Called my home number, and still nothing.

I have now spoken to the guy over at the hardware store who was selling an IP phone "Gigaset A510". He however said; "This phone will work out of the box, and will show the numbers - it's easy since it reads the number directly.."

Ok, I don't know anything about networking or telephones.. But should I invest in the IP phone and just get rid of this old "analog" telematic logger?

Thanks.

PS:If you wish to know anything more, just ask and I'll try my best to answer the questions. Can even take a picture of the PCB for the telematic logger if it would be of any help..

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Rather strange, becuase the caller ID protocol shouldn't have changed.

Can you borrow a newer caller-id ready phone from a freind and see if that works before you buy the one they're selling? Or... find someplace local that sells caller ID units and try one out.

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
Rather strange, becuase the caller ID protocol shouldn't have changed.

Can you borrow a newer caller-id ready phone from a freind and see if that works before you buy the one they're selling? Or... find someplace local that sells caller ID units and try one out.

Ok, I have found out that the Caller ID unit I own is outdated, it works with cordless DECT type phones connected directly to the IGW-2000, and shows the numbers of incoming call.

Thanks for the help, Sasqui!