• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mac Pro Gets Updated This Spring, Powered by Ivy Bridge-EP Xeon

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
If I didn't know anything about computers and had money to burn, I would go for the Apple.
They are always well presented and the 'cool' people in the movies are always using them.

I would want to be cool too.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Tried, too damn expensive compared to a PC. I'd love to try the current MAC OS, but I'm not willing to spend $2000+ to do so.

You don't need to buy a current Mac to experience OSX. It really hasn't changed all the much in almost 10 years.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I always get entertained when reading mac related threads..... thank you all once again for your contributions in brightening up what would otherwise be a wet and dreary Sunday Morning..... on topic....... someone works hard.... 30..... 40...... 50 hours per week, saves up to buy some hardware........ takes them a year or two...... and then they get criticised for making their own choice in their purchase? Really, has freedom of choice completely left our doorsteps :cool:

this is tpu...where pc elitists spend thousands of dollars every year to upgrade their rig to play console ports at 200fps.. if you aren't using windows then you are a lamer who has bought into the apple fad!!111!! nevermind that microsoft has been changing its entire direction to match apple's massively profitable business model. and nevermind that the next generation of consoles is going to put an end to pc gaming as we know it. linux will be the last vestige for the pc gamer when only massive companies like EA,sony, and microsoft can afford to publish titles. gabe said linux is our get of jail free card so you better starting torrenting some distros :pimp:

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
this is tpu...where pc elitists spend thousands of dollars every year to upgrade their rig to play console ports at 200fps.. if you aren't using windows then you are a lamer who has bought into the apple fad!!111!! nevermind that microsoft has been changing its entire direction to match apple's massively profitable business model. and nevermind that the next generation of consoles is going to put an end to pc gaming as we know it. linux will be the last vestige for the pc gamer when only massive companies like EA,sony, and microsoft can afford to publish titles. gabe said linux is our get of jail free card so you better starting torrenting some distros :pimp:

What on Earth are you talking about???

For starters, while there are a lot of users that spend thousands every year on hardware, those same users also pad the expenses by sellling rather modern hardware they are replacing to other users. Suddenly going from a GTX580 to a GTX680 only costs $1-200 for a pretty nice performance bump. On top of that, not everyone pays out the ass for top of the line systems to play console ports at 200fps. The most popular games (based on topics and observation) on TPU are The Witcher 2, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and DayZ. Of those, most of them have PC versions that fully support modding and/or have DX11 support. A few are even PC exclusives (for the time being in some cases).

Nextly, people like Windows (primarily 7) because it does everything well enough. It's a jack of all trades OS that is hugely common and allows for you to do whatever you want. Games? Go for it. Editting? Go for it. Graphic Design? Shine on you crazy diamond. OSX on the other hand, can do a few things very well, but has almost no support in other areas. The reason Games are so common for TPU users, is because if you buy a $3-400 GPU, why wouldn't you play a lot of games? It doesn't make sense to have that hardware if you're not going to use it. Microsoft has been trying to get into the Tablet market, but who the hell hasn't? You can buy tablets at Rite Aid for god sake...

The next-gen of consoles killing PC gaming? Never happen. PC Gaming will never die, as long as it offers the freedom to customize that consoles absolutely do not. Also, software sales for PC games have been trending upwards for years, and for the past few years console software sales have trended down. All a new generation of consoles will do is get consumers to buy a new console and maybe a few games this year. The people who play consoles a lot will never be PC Gamers anyway, so it won't exactly hurt sales on the PC side of things. I'd rather spend a few hundred every couple years upgrading my PC and buying software for dirt cheap than pay full price for games and a single investment of a few hundred dollars. Especially when PC allows for upgrades, higher resolutions, and increased image quality thanks to things like MSAA and FXAA.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
PC Gaming will never die, as long as it offers the freedom to customize that consoles absolutely do not. Also, software sales for PC games have been trending upwards for years, and for the past few years console software sales have trended down.

pc game sales have been trending upwards because there hasn't been a new high end consoles since 2006. the wii u just came out and you already see an explosion in console games sales! once the ps4 and xbox 720 come out gamers will shift their purchases toward consoles. it happens every time. you already see very few games developed solely for the pc and that trend will continue so long as microsoft continues to wall off its environment making it even harder for independent devs (the future of pc gaming) to develop and have their titles released at a low cost. valve knows this. they have already laid the groundwork for an easy way to get your new game out there (greenlight) and have been actively developing steam for linux and getting some of their older titles out there for linux. that is the future of pc gaming. look at all the bloat in the huge game houses like EA. they keep consolidated. THQ had to sell off its game houses. Everyone has been complaining about the major drop in quality of UBIsoft games. The ones that are surviving are the ones directly linked to the console creators. microsoft, sony, ninentdo all have several of their own game dev studios pumping out games that are raking in the big bucks. at the same time they have all rolled out their own content delivery platform to rival what steam has done for the PC. these are dark days but as gabe pointed out, we have a way out of it. a free and open platform is the future for pc gaming. adapt or die.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
pc game sales have been trending upwards because there hasn't been a new high end consoles since 2006. the wii u just came out and you already see an explosion in console games sales! once the ps4 and xbox 720 come out gamers will shift their purchases toward consoles. it happens every time.

There is not and explosion of console sales--software or hardware--surrounding the Wii U. It's already being threatened as a flop because the console is selling so poorly, and there are no real games for it. Check out the top software sales for this past week (globally). There's only 2 Wii U games in the entire top 50. One of which is packaged with the console. So I don't buy for a second that consoles are driving sales through the roof in recent months. The reason is probably because the Wii U is kind of a poorly marketted underpowered "next-gen" console. Look at the hardware sales. It hasn't even passed the PS Vita in sales numbers, a system that is widely considered a failure. Just look up sales numbers for the Wii U, it's not pretty.

you already see very few games developed solely for the pc and that trend will continue so long as microsoft continues to wall off its environment making it even harder for independent devs (the future of pc gaming) to develop and have their titles released at a low cost. valve knows this. they have already laid the groundwork for an easy way to get your new game out there (greenlight) and have been actively developing steam for linux and getting some of their older titles out there for linux. that is the future of pc gaming.

How is Windows walled off for Indie Dev's? As far as I can see there is a huge Indie Dev presence on Windows, and it's part of the reason why PC Gaming is thriving. I think you're misreading Valves intentions. Valve more than anything loves creating markets. When they started Steam digital distribution was not a feasible thing, and they now are the biggest and most valuable digital distribution platform on the internet. I've seen interviews where Gabe Newell cites analysts telling him in meetings that expanding Steam to Russia and China was suicide because there was "no market" due to piracy, and explaining that they have continually turned a profit in these territories. Linux is no different, there's a whole host of gamers that use Linux, or want to use Linux, but simply can't because nobody supports it. This could really force Microsoft to abandon dragging Windows and by extention the PC into a tablet-centric universe.

look at all the bloat in the huge game houses like EA. they keep consolidated. THQ had to sell off its game houses. Everyone has been complaining about the major drop in quality of UBIsoft games.

They are publically traded companies. They are held accountable to the stock holders, which means their hands are tied for the most part. If CoD sells $1B every year, they would be crazy not to keep making them. Ubisoft has always been a publisher drowning in crap, but they are actually one of the companies turning it around--Watch Dogs looks great, Far Cry 3 was awesome, the new Rayman looks awesome, and even AC3 wasn't too bad. THQ went under because they were making interesting but mediocre games and spending an arm and a leg to do it. I loved their Warhammer games, and SR3 was amazing, but outside of that they had almost nothing of quality--but still paid insanely to produce games.

The ones that are surviving are the ones directly linked to the console creators. microsoft, sony, ninentdo all have several of their own game dev studios pumping out games that are raking in the big bucks. at the same time they have all rolled out their own content delivery platform to rival what steam has done for the PC.

That is entirely not true. For Nintendo only 1st Party games sell. Mario anything will sell a crapload, but Sony and Microsoft aren't the only people making money. Activision is making a ton of money off Call of Duty, EA made decent money on Mass Effect and BF3, 2K Games is always doing fine and Borderlands 2 was a huge success, Zenimax had a lot of success with Skyrim and associated DLC--and keep in mind, these are just Publishers. The studios and publishers that are going under for the most part had underlying problems. Usually paying way too much to make games that just aren't that good.

On top of that, the digital distribution on consoles is garbage. PSN is a pile of crap, I'll admit that. Xbox Live is okay, but when you're paying monthly just to use the service you're essentially overpaying for every aspect of the service. If Steam charged monthly nobody would use it--okay, maybe they would, but nobody compares when it comes to Steam Sales.

these are dark days but as gabe pointed out, we have a way out of it. a free and open platform is the future for pc gaming. adapt or die.

When exactly did he point that out? Everything I've read has him pretty optimistic about the future of the PC as a platform, to the extent of him expanding PC presence to the living room with small cost-effective HTPC's. Free and Open is ideal, but that's what PC Gamers are all about. Steam is DRM, I'll admit that, but it also offers more tools and better functionality than any other platform out there. Things like Steam Workshop and Steam Green Light are leading to amazing things in the world of PC Gaming, what does Xbox Live or PSN have by comparison?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
when the ps4 and xbox 720 are released pc gaming will be dead in the water. sales will be so low that the inevitable will happen. the big bloated companies will have to abandon the very expensive task of developing games for both the consoles and the pc. it's all over dude. the future of pc gaming is in linux where the open environment will produce some of the most talented young indie developers along with some of the most exciting action games of all time. the big companies can only keep turning out the same old crap year after year while the indie developers are creating fresh games with new ideas.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
PC gaming will never be dead. Games like Company of Heroes can never do well in consoles. RPG games are better on PC. Indies titles are definitely going to be PC and it looks like this is one area that will bloom. I'm playing Chivalry and it's a great game despite some annoying bugs. I'm certainly seeing more indie games than ever before. The quality has also improved.

I don't think the problem with PC gaming is that it's dying, it's just that it's not growing as quickly as consoles and therefore seems like a shrinking marketshare.

Economically, on the supply side the curve will go up. If prices goes up then supply will go up. This is what is happening on the console market right now. There is a shift in the equilibrium to the right because of higher demand and higher prices. If you ever wonder and kept complaining about why developers shifted their resources to making console games first. They will go where it will most benefit them and it's all about $$.

The other factor in the reduction of market share for PC is that console is considered inferior goods. Since 2008, it is a better economic choice for most people. Inferior goods have an inverse effect compared to market trend. People with no jobs, less money, that has a ton of free time on their hands will want a $300 console to entertain them instead of a $1000 computer. I was out of the job for a few months along with a few friends and this was a no brainer decision. We were not broke, it's just wise not to waste money when you're in between jobs in a tough economy.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
when the ps4 and xbox 720 are released pc gaming will be dead in the water. sales will be so low that the inevitable will happen. the big bloated companies will have to abandon the very expensive task of developing games for both the consoles and the pc. it's all over dude. ...

Man, you sound worst than those Apocalypse predictors or profets. Get a grip. PC gaming wont disappear and desktops wont disappear. :shadedshu

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Man, you sound worst than those Apocalypse predictors or profets. Get a grip. PC gaming wont disappear and desktops wont disappear. :shadedshu

since microsoft continues to close off its environment to match apple's incredible business strategy pc gaming will cease to exist in its current form.

what is ironic is that a lot of people hate apple because they are a walled garden. now that microsoft is moving rapidly in that direction will those same haters jump to linux where gabe and the entire valve/steam enterprise is putting their chips?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
since microsoft continues to close off its environment to match apple's incredible business strategy pc gaming will cease to exist in its current form.

what is ironic is that a lot of people hate apple because they are a walled garden. now that microsoft is moving rapidly in that direction will those same haters jump to linux where gabe and the entire valve/steam enterprise is putting their chips?

You really think Gabe is putting all his chips in Linux because they decided to open that market?! :laugh::roll: Yeah um sure. Steam will have a Windows 8 app soon.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
You really think Gabe is putting all his chips in Linux because they decided to open that market?! :laugh::roll: Yeah um sure. Steam will have a Windows 8 app soon.

no. stop trolling. valve has been very vocal about its support for linux. gabe called it a get out of jail free card. and, they said there will be more development for games for linux than for mac. the tide is turning and not even the trolls can stop it ;)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
no. stop trolling. valve has been very vocal about its support for linux. gabe called it a get out of jail free card. and, they said there will be more development for games for linux than for mac. the tide is turning and not even the trolls can stop it ;)

Dude your running on wishful thinking more than anything. Linux over taking MS market share in the next 10 years? Not a chance and Gabe likes to make money. Remember when he said he hated the PS3 then 6 months later Steam debuted on it? Yeah welcome to reality.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
when the ps4 and xbox 720 are released pc gaming will be dead in the water. sales will be so low that the inevitable will happen. the big bloated companies will have to abandon the very expensive task of developing games for both the consoles and the pc. it's all over dude. the future of pc gaming is in linux where the open environment will produce some of the most talented young indie developers along with some of the most exciting action games of all time. the big companies can only keep turning out the same old crap year after year while the indie developers are creating fresh games with new ideas.

Except that in recent years companies have started expanding their support for PC Versions after realizing they can make good money as long as the game is properly supported. Between 2009 and 2011 there wasn't a single AAA Game that came out that wasn't clearly a port, now there are plenty of games with things like High Resolution textures, multiple thread support, proper graphics settings, and mod support. Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, DmC, and quite a few other games are infinitely more enjoyable on PC.

PC already has some of the best and most talented Indie Developers in the industry. With games like Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, The Binding Of Isaac, Jamestown, The Legend of Grimrock, Natural Selection 2--the list goes on and on. Sure a lot of these games have appeared on consoles, but most of them started on the PC, and really shine there.

You're taking his words out of context. He said that when Windows 8 was ready to release and Microsoft had their own "App Store" built into it, he feared it meant Microsoft would lock other companies out of distributing apps through Windows. If that were the case Steam would pretty much cease to exist, and would be forced to move to a different OS or develop their own. None of that ended up happening so as far as we know Steam is secure on Windows.

As for more development for games on Linux than Mac, that's because Mac-users generally aren't gamers. There are plenty of tech-loving individuals that want to use Linux but are stuck with Windows because Linux has literally no support for games. On top of that, to make Steambox cost-effective they need to cut out anything that adds to cost--like an operating system from a third party. It will also allow them to work with a more streamlined PC Operating System, a customized version of Linux dedicated to running games is a lot more ideal than a bloated general purpose operating system like Windows.

I remember people said PC Gaming was dead when the Xbox 360 launched, and after 7-8 years the revenue has continued to go up.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Why are you talking about gaming in a thread about a workstation? :wtf:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
If I didn't know anything about computers and had money to burn, I would go for the Apple.
They are always well presented and the 'cool' people in the movies are always using them.

I would want to be cool too.

I always laugh when I see those, and have a snobbish and pathetic feeling for those characters... :laugh:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Why are you talking about gaming in a thread about a workstation? :wtf:

because apparently it is ok to spend $2000 on a gaming rig but not ok to spend the same amount of money on a mac pro.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
because apparently it is ok to spend $2000 on a gaming rig but not ok to spend the same amount of money on a mac pro.

So they are not really worth arguing with. It's a workstation, compare it to workstations. Apples and oranges.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06

It is just that the average PC has much more usefulness to the average person. To me it is an inferior product because all I can really do with it is web surfing and play maybe a few games. The fact is I could buy two PCs for the price of 1 mac, and sure the mac is probably built a bit better, but if I need to fix the mac, it could take the better part of a day (if I'm lucky and don't break something), whereas I can be in and out of any other laptop in an hour.

I can't even find myself recommending macs to people who only surf the web, because I am afraid that they might try and do something they know a PC can do, that a mac can't, and be disappointed.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
It is just that the average PC has much more usefulness to the average person. To me it is an inferior product because all I can really do with it is web surfing and play maybe a few games. The fact is I could buy two PCs for the price of 1 mac, and sure the mac is probably built a bit better, but if I need to fix the mac, it could take the better part of a day (if I'm lucky and don't break something), whereas I can be in and out of any other laptop in an hour.

Because it is not of use to you does not make it a bad product. And they are not less useful than a PC for the avarage person, unless they are a hardcore games, but then they would probably default to Windows anyway. It's fine if you don't like them, but they are usually decent and the premium is not as big as people make it out to be when you compare them to equals. Are they for your facebooking grandma? No, not really, but neither is any computer for more than $400-500. So the real issue you have is that they don't do low end things? :confused:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

I can't even find myself recommending macs to people who only surf the web, because I am afraid that they might try and do something they know a PC can do, that a mac can't, and be disappointed.

well we are talking about this new mac pro, not the macbook pro.

this new mac pro is pretty sweet and part for part only costs about $400 more than a PC if you built it yourself. now obviously OSX costs a little bit more than Windows 8, the build quality of the mac pro is very good and the first year of support that comes with the purchase is considered the best in the industry. those three things alone make a big difference to someone considering this or a pc.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
well we are talking about this new mac pro, not the macbook pro.

this new mac pro is pretty sweet and part for part only costs about $400 more than a PC if you built it yourself. now obviously OSX costs a little bit more than Windows 8, the build quality of the mac pro is very good and the first year of support that comes with the purchase is considered the best in the industry. those three things alone make a big difference to someone considering this or a pc.

How is the build quality better? I keep hearing this but from what I understand it uses most types of OEM parts of intel?