• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD, say it ain't so!

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Apparently, frame times logged by FRAPS differ from what you get using hardware capture.
It seems that FRAPS data, while showing micro stuttering issues with CrossFire, was actually doing AMD a favor.
The truth seems even worse:

FRAPS frame times:

Using hardware capture:

The article is at http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Part-3-First-Results-New-GPU-Performance-Tools

Does anyone has any more info on this? Why would FRAPS data differ so much for CrossFire?

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Urgh not this again. I was unable to notice any difference when watching the videos at all. Someone needs to post a couple of "blind" videos along with a non stutter comparison and get people to vote on the one they think is stuttering.

For example: A direct comparison between a 680 and 7850, then the 680 vs. 680 and 7850 vs. 7850 but having all of them unlabeled. Label them something like card 1,2,3,4,5,6 but do 1 and 2 side by side etc. and set up a vote to see if most people can actually notice this stutter.

Edit - Then do a second blind crossfire test. I won't believe that it is an issue until it's verified in an unbiased way.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I'm lost for words. I play BF3 (on crossfired 7970) and get 80-120 fps on MP depending on scene/players etc. To my eyes it runs perfectly smoothly. I know it does because it was choppy on Far Cry 3 (embarrassingly an AMD sponsored title).

Given that i know what choppy frame rates look like to me, I can hand on heart say BF3 runs as smooth as any game I've played on any gfx card (And I've had more Nvidia in my life - first AMD card was a 5850, then I got a GTX 580, then i went for 7970's).

There may be more at play from a very neurophysiological level that people are also ignorant off. Our eyes and brain cobble together the images we see. We cannot register everything that flickers up in front of us so our brain makes the image tangible to us.

From the OP's source post the crossfire looks like it should be abyssmal but it is not on my system. Perhaps the more people delve into frame latency the more we get transfixed by what the computer can see and not what humans beings are capable of seeing.

I cannot deny the findings of the source post. I'm sure it is not fabricated but I'm pretty sure there will be a raft of crossfire owners on here saying how well it works for them and they do not see any on screen indication of poor performance.

On the same note, I'm running around Crysis 3 land transfixed by how good it all looks and how smooth it is. Frames might drop occasionally to 30's but generally it's good for me. Certainly no stutter (like the Skyrimgate latency posts from last few months).

Think about it. It doesn't matter what anything says about the latency if we can't see it. An invisible problem is not a problem if the visual fidelity is what matters.

Perhaps someone can do a poll and record how many folk use crossfire in BF3 and how many have stutter or issues that would tie in with the OP source.

Again - I'm not denying crossfire is NOT as good as sli but in the instance of BF3 - it works butter smooth for me.

Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks
Urgh not this again. I was unable to notice any difference when watching the videos at all. Someone needs to post a couple of "blind" videos along with a non stutter comparison and get people to vote on the one they think is stuttering.

For example: A direct comparison between a 680 and 7850, then the 680 vs. 680 and 7850 vs. 7850 but having all of them unlabeled. Label them something like card 1,2,3,4,5,6 but do 1 and 2 side by side etc. and set up a vote to see if most people can actually notice this stutter.

Edit - Then do a second blind crossfire test. I won't believe that it is an issue until it's verified in an unbiased way.
you will notice the impact of MS when you are playing as a sniper. drove me insane when i played as a sniper in BF3 with a couple of HD6950's. trying to lock on a moving object made my head explode!

Software Windows 10 x64
Still, I'd like to see some scientific method in these tests. So far it's just showing me a bunch of graphs that have no meaning. I have seen the direct comparison between the cards on Skyrim, but i noticed nothing.

I'd like to have a bunch of comparisons from different games and different situations and have some real evidence that people do actually notice what the graphs are showing us and not that people just notice something because they are told that there is a stutter.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Apparently, frame times logged by FRAPS differ from what you get using hardware capture.
It seems that FRAPS data, while showing micro stuttering issues with CrossFire, was actually doing AMD a favor.
The truth seems even worse:

FRAPS frame times:

http://www.pcper.com/files/review/2013-02-22/fr-5.png

Using hardware capture:

http://www.pcper.com/files/review/2013-02-22/fr-2.png

The article is at http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Part-3-First-Results-New-GPU-Performance-Tools

Does anyone has any more info on this? Why would FRAPS data differ so much for CrossFire?

This is the original article, I think.
http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
bunch of graphs that have no meaning

You should notice on fraps graph minimum is around 5 ms and on the frame capture graph minimum is almost 0 ms. That means some frames are only couple of pixels high (with frame times near zero) so there is even larger impact on boosting the average fps metric. They calculated the perceived fps which is around what a single card gets.

That is what they say, but I also hear different experiences by people who use CF.

I do agree, we need a scientific deconstruction of the experiment.

Yeah, they initiated whole frame latency thing. I like the colored bars pcper has that show "runt" frames, though their latency graphs suck (tr's are much better imo)

System Name My PC
Processor i7 4790k @4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte z97m-d3h
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133-9-11-11-31-1T
Video Card(s) GTX970 Stric oc
Storage Samsung 840Pro 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT
Case Lian Li 359
Audio Device(s) Denon DA-300USB / Denon AH-D5000
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10 64-bit home
My guess is that FRAPS is a software therefore it is a process in windows and it is subject to alot of "interference". Maybe setting it to be high priority could help?

To that you need to add random system components (including PSU quality) that produce random differences every time and how much the game was optimised, particularly when talking crossfire. Maybe the "hardware capture" measures the frames at a very early stage before they are "broadcasted" to the screen and there is time until then for the whole thing to become unstable?

That said, AMD 7970 and 7950 owners KNOW that the random frametime review from that random biased website is overly exaggerated. I personally play Skyrim and have not a single issue. Oh well, maybe the release version had instabilities like those but not the recent versions! Playing the game with tons of HD addons and nearly 3GB vRam loaded and the game is perfectly smooth! Same goes for my smooth BF3 and Hitman recent experiences. On the other hand, FarCry 3 performance was bad, as described above, with frequent choppy frames and the effect of "bad frametimes" being obvious most of the time while the game is "AMD" special, as said above.

Software Windows 10 x64
I just read the linked article. I'd also like to know what hardware they used so i could look up the information about the tolerance on the measurements. +/-5% would be what I would guess, but I couldn't be sure without looking it up.

Anyone have any idea on the typical tolerance of these measuring systems?

I am always skeptical of any kind of 'experiment' that does not talk about any kind of errors or faults in the process and declares itself to be definitive proof.
It's kind of similar to me saying that i am psychic because I predicted 100 results from coin tosses correctly (without telling you the total number of coin tosses).

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Ive used crossfire on and off for the last 5-7 years first 3870s now old 58##s and I have seen very few issues that I couldn't sort or a games patch didn't fix .
Win8 made a great many issues occur for me inc piss poor game performance gfx oc ability and stuttering .
Im back on 7 and im getting 15- 30 percent more performance and no issues. Odd but true

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I just read the linked article. I'd also like to know what hardware they used so i could look up the information about the tolerance on the measurements. +/-5% would be what I would guess, but I couldn't be sure without looking it up.

Anyone have any idea on the typical tolerance of these measuring systems?

I am always skeptical of any kind of 'experiment' that does not talk about any kind of errors or faults in the process and declares itself to be definitive proof.
It's kind of similar to me saying that i am psychic because I predicted 100 results from coin tosses correctly (without telling you the total number of coin tosses).

3DMark also captures this problem pretty well. frame times are a nice thin line in single card, but a thick line in crossfire. If you have Crossfire, and use any sort of FPS counter, even ingame ones, you can easily see how the framerate is far less consistent with Crossfire, and take a 10-15 FPS range every second, while one card might be 3-8FPS.

AMD's memory management hit bottlenecks, these bottlenecks cause frames to be rendered slower, and it IS perceivable. AMD has already admitted memory management is broken, so I don't see any reason to be so up in arms about people relating issues.

If you were local, silkstone, you could come over to my house, sit at my rig, and you'd see the problems. I have every platform under the sun, and they all have these problems, so I feel this can be fixed by driver. But perhaps not.

Ive used crossfire on and off for the last 5-7 years first 3870s now old 58##s and I have seen very few issues that I couldn't sort or a games patch didn't fix .
Win8 made a great many issues occur for me inc piss poor game performance gfx oc ability and stuttering .
Im back on 7 and im getting 15- 30 percent more performance and no issues. Odd but true

I tend to get slightly higher benchmark scores in Win8. I've had a few people ask me why my 3dmark scores with single 7950 are so high..., matching and beating 7970's...I can only attribute it to Win8.. and yes, Win8 intrioduces some problems, but only because it is more sensitive to OC. get rid of OC, and the problem miraculously go away.

Didnt AMD say they were going to release a new memory manager for GNC cards ?

Is it in any of the Betas yet ?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Didnt AMD say they were going to release a new memory manager for GNC cards ?

Is it in any of the Betas yet ?

No, there are per-app fixes for stutter in specific apps, most of which hare DX9-based fixes. AMD related that DX10 and DX11 would need the memory management fix before being 100%, and have yet to mention these fixes in release notes or anything. They did also way that it would be a bit of time before it was ready, and since they have had over a year already to fix this, I trust it's not a small problem.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
I'm lost for words. I play BF3 (on crossfired 7970) and get 80-120 fps on MP depending on scene/players etc. To my eyes it runs perfectly smoothly. I know it does because it was choppy on Far Cry 3 (embarrassingly an AMD sponsored title).

Given that i know what choppy frame rates look like to me, I can hand on heart say BF3 runs as smooth as any game I've played on any gfx card (And I've had more Nvidia in my life - first AMD card was a 5850, then I got a GTX 580, then i went for 7970's).

There may be more at play from a very neurophysiological level that people are also ignorant off. Our eyes and brain cobble together the images we see. We cannot register everything that flickers up in front of us so our brain makes the image tangible to us.

From the OP's source post the crossfire looks like it should be abyssmal but it is not on my system. Perhaps the more people delve into frame latency the more we get transfixed by what the computer can see and not what humans beings are capable of seeing.

I cannot deny the findings of the source post. I'm sure it is not fabricated but I'm pretty sure there will be a raft of crossfire owners on here saying how well it works for them and they do not see any on screen indication of poor performance.

On the same note, I'm running around Crysis 3 land transfixed by how good it all looks and how smooth it is. Frames might drop occasionally to 30's but generally it's good for me. Certainly no stutter (like the Skyrimgate latency posts from last few months).

Think about it. It doesn't matter what anything says about the latency if we can't see it. An invisible problem is not a problem if the visual fidelity is what matters.

Perhaps someone can do a poll and record how many folk use crossfire in BF3 and how many have stutter or issues that would tie in with the OP source.

Again - I'm not denying crossfire is NOT as good as sli but in the instance of BF3 - it works butter smooth for me.

Agreed with you, sir.

I have no issues whatsoever on BF3, that title runs like a champ on ATI hardware.

Still when you drop below your monitor refresh rate with your FPS you'll notice stuttering when running multiple GPUs vs a single one, I've noticed this so many times in multiple games, if I actually disabled CFX I'd have lower framerates but a SMOOTHER experience.

If CFX/SLI is implemented properly and it is easily codeable for games, like BF3 for example, it's an awesome resource but when it doesn't work it makes you forget the times it works because it becomes frustrating.

Still, guys, trust your eyes, not these reports.

Software Windows 10 x64
3DMark also captures this problem pretty well. frame times are a nice thin line in single card, but a thick line in crossfire. If you have Crossfire, and use any sort of FPS counter, even ingame ones, you can easily see how the framerate is far less consistent with Crossfire, and take a 10-15 FPS range every second, while one card might be 3-8FPS.

AMD's memory management hit bottlenecks, these bottlenecks cause frames to be rendered slower, and it IS perceivable. AMD has already admitted memory management is broken, so I don't see any reason to be so up in arms about people relating issues.

If you were local, silkstone, you could come over to my house, sit at my rig, and you'd see the problems. I have every platform under the sun, and they all have these problems, so I feel this can be fixed by driver. But perhaps not.

Maybe, if you get time, do you think it would be possible to post a few runs of 3d Mark with different cards but not label them?

I have heard about various issues with Xfire and would not be surprised if it were more noticeable in that kind of set up. But, I'd really like to see some comparisons. They don't have to be edited to be side by side or anything like that. People could just open the videos in separate windows.

Maybe like 2 runs with a 680 and 2 with a 680 SLI then 2 runs of each 7950 (or card equivalent to the 680) and xfire.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Maybe, if you get time, do you think it would be possible to post a few runs of 3d Mark with different cards but not label them?

I have heard about various issues with Xfire and would not be surprised if it were more noticeable in that kind of set up. But, I'd really like to see some comparisons. They don't have to be edited to be side by side or anything like that. People could just open the videos in separate windows.

Maybe like 2 runs with a 680 and 2 with a 680 SLI then 2 runs of each 7950 (or card equivalent to the 680) and xfire.

I don't have any Nvidia cards, AMD only.

I've run Crossfire since it came out with the X800's. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. With 7900-series, it scales worse than it should. AMD has acknowledged the stutter issues and such, so that's that. It's not like this has come out, and AMD denies anything.. they agree it's an issue. Running benchmarks to confirm the problem is rather useless at this point. If you don't have such a config, and don't have problems, then don't worry about it. If you do, AMD is aware, confirmed it, and is working on fixing it. There's no "drama" to be found here.

Processor 8700k Intel
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm not really convinced. Things seem to have gotten much better with these newer drivers. I can't tell the difference between AMD and Nvidia without opening the case and seeing what card is physically in the system.

Processor 8700k Intel
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
I'm not really convinced. Things seem to have gotten much better with these newer drivers. I can't tell the difference between AMD and Nvidia without opening the case and seeing what card is physically in the system.

Actually AMD/ATI colors look more vivid if you compare stock vs stock systems.

Of course nothing that a five minute NV control panel tweak can't overcome.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

I tend to get slightly higher benchmark scores in Win8. I've had a few people ask me why my 3dmark scores with single 7950 are so high..., matching and beating 7970's...I can only attribute it to Win8.. and yes, Win8 intrioduces some problems, but only because it is more sensitive to OC. get rid of OC, and the problem miraculously go away.
Yeh well I dont think o got my point across sorry, I wasnt trying to blame win8 but succinctly.
Its down to individual hard and software setups in my example something had clearly gone wrong with win8 , but it was simply part of the issue ,but its far easier to blame amds drivers then fresh install or actually find the issue and some setups probably make stuttering more an issue

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

Absolutely the case. I've got two friends regularly playing BF3 with me (both kick my ass mind) but they have Nvidia cards (580/680) and they have driver crashes- or at least game crashes far more often than I do and I run crossfire and they're single gpu.
Finners is on the TPU forum occasionally so he might be able to shed more light but I genuinely haven't crashed in BF3 for a good few months, if not half a year. Though I've not played yet using 13.2 (6) beta's so maybe I'll come back and edit this post, lol.

But so i don't come across all "AMD is great - Nvidia sux", MOH for me was an absolute joke. Crossfire didn't even work for me at all. Then Far Cry 3 was choppy. But Crysis 3 is good candy and plays nice.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Is this an issue if you play with VSYNC? I've never experienced any kind of stuttering.

The only issue that comes to mind is the BF3 memory leak.

System Name Broken Butterfly.
Processor Intel Core i5-3570.
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE.
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
Memory 2x4gB Corsair Value Series.
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2.
Storage 180gB Intel SSD 330 Series, WD Blue 500gB (AAKX).
Display(s) Samsung BX2031.
Case CM Elite 334.
Power Supply Corsair CX 430.

... or you can just use GPU-Z. ;)

Software Windows 10 x64
I don't have any Nvidia cards, AMD only.

Running benchmarks to confirm the problem is rather useless at this point. If you don't have such a config, and don't have problems, then don't worry about it. If you do, AMD is aware, confirmed it, and is working on fixing it. There's no "drama" to be found here.

It's not that i don;t believe that the problem exists. I know that crossfire has issues with it. It's more that I don't believe it is an accurate way to 'benchmark' cards like stated in the original article.

Also the OP states that the 'issue' is worse than we thought. Surely it is only as bad as it is perceived when playing a game with the issue? I just don't see the point of graphs without any kind of demonstration.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It's not that i don;t believe that the problem exists. I know that crossfire has issues with it. It's more that I don't believe it is an accurate way to 'benchmark' cards like stated in the original article.

Also the OP states that the 'issue' is worse than we thought. Surely it is only as bad as it is perceived when playing a game with the issue? I just don't see the point of graphs without any kind of demonstration.

I kind of agree, but since I have many AMD cards here, I do not need any demonstration. I have been complaining about these problems for years, literally.

If you understand what the graphs show(an increase in frame-to-frame render latency), that should be enough, really. Visually it amounts to a momentary pause.

When you add a second card, because this doubles that delay, the pause is even longer, and becomes even more noticeable, to the point that singlecard performance is perceptibly smoother, even though the framerate is significantly lower.

AMD has said, that with DX10 and DX11, this is due to memory management. With DX9, performance is adequate enough that it can be dealt with easily, as far as I can tell, but I'm not expert with that sort of stuff at all.

So, imagine playing at 60+FPS, and it's nice and smooth. FPS drops below 60 with some action, and it becomes less smooth. Staying above 60 FPS will keep that smoothness. Adding a second card, and increasing performance above 60 FPS should keep the same smoothness, right?

Unfortunately, what happens is that those stutters from going to less than 60 FPS overall still apply, but PER CARD, so that now to maintain a smooth experience, you need 120 FPS, negating the usefulness of the second card. Add in that the added driver overhead from managing both cards, and overall you end up with a worse experience than with one card.