• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Tomb Raider (Discussion)

how does it compare to the Old Tomb Raider games? better? great re-imagining? similar? or they messed it up?

I loved all of the games up until the last two.

It's hard to say exactly. They are fundamentally different so it's virtually impossible to compare them. However, here are some aspects (good and bad):

1) It has lame elements from Underworld, such as:
white ledges, invisible walls, linearity, blackouts, no free climbing, no open world, no sprint, no tough secrets, no swimming! That was the biggest letdown about this game. It killed realism.

2) It's relatively easy game, at least for those who used to beat tough puzzles from old games. I remember that I've spent months (!) playing The Last Revelation and Angel of Darkness (for those who have no idea: it's Tomb Raider 4 and Tomb Raider 6) but TR2103 is indeed million times harder and better than LAU trilogy.

3) (for the first time) TR has day/night cycles which is amazing. You can revisit areas in different periods of time. It also has amazing weather effects. This is a big plus for TR.

4) This game is a total reboot but you can still recognize some nice elements from previous TR games which is really good. Even though Lara is no longer an anti-heroine, she's now just a good girl killing everyone around.

5) Characters are kinda lame in this game but the main protagonists Lara and Roth are quite cool. :cool: However Lara suffers way too much in this game but in the next second she's good to go lol. Wish I had such regeneration abilities.

6) Level design is beautiful. Beach, shanty town, forest, mountains are amazing. However there are some really crappy booooooring and cartoonish places like rivers of blood and shores of skulls :rolleyes: Like they literally killed billion people on that damn island. Laboratory was a lame place as well. A huge building with zero equipment, what a lab is that. Geothermal caverns ain't good either with some cartoonish green gas lol.

7) This game lacks sense of danger. It's full of QTE and automatism. In 99% Lara won't miss ledge, you're virtually unable to throw her from the cliff. You no longer need to carefully choose timing and spacing to make a jump. You just jump and Lara will grab automatically. It's really lame. Sometimes she can't die lol.

8) Really amazing elements are not there: no monkey swing, no commando crawl, no tightrope walking, no rope swinging and all those good ol' acrobatics. Instead just lotsa ledge hopping like in Underworld .. meh.

9) Autoheal and checkpoints killed realism. You no longer need to care about HP. It reduces challenge.

10) No proper stealth system. So you just grab a gun and see how Lara turns to Rambo.

Verdict: 8.5/10

It's still a nice game. Must-play game for a TR fan. It's better than Underworld. I like this new direction. If the next game will have more puzzles and tombs and less shooting it will rock.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
@lyn
The old tomb raider games were a whole another game. I think they are better.
Video games are becoming tremendously corrupted lately, so even without any swimming, running, Lara's home, medipacks, vehicles and much more, this game is the best of the moment.

The last two tomb raider games, were not games at all.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
how does it compare to the Old Tomb Raider games? better? great re-imagining? similar? or they messed it up?

I loved all of the games up until the last two.

Hard to say what you loved most in the older ones when the two you mentioned a dislike for are pretty much polar opposites. I can only assume that you don't care much about the elaborate death trap relic puzzles and intricate platforming Anniversary had, because Underworld went a very tame direction in that regard.

This one is tame in most every regard, and feels like an eye candy graphics/physics demo with lots of linear, scripted cinematic on rails segments that are very repetetive. The only sense of open world play is the fast travel feature, which allows you to complete collectible and tomb challenges more expediently, and that quickly becomes boring.

At first the combat and nav tools feel more visceral, realistic and innovative than the random creatures and terrain features of past titles, but the constant idiocy of the weak willed cult followers, reuse of the same contrived tools and weaponry, along with an abundant supply of weapons and ammo, make it more repetetive and casual than dynamic and challenging.

The real disappointment however comes in the form of very, very underwhelming tombs. Instead of say one elaborate tomb per area like we're used to seeing, there's at least twice as many micro tombs, each having one simple, easy to figure and navigate puzzle.

By the time you've gotten 100% completion on one run through, there's no incentive to play through most of the tombs on subsequent runs, unless they happen to be directly on your path. You can also skip a lot of the challenges and still have plenty for upgrades.

This game over equips you even on the Hard mode, and it's RPG elements are as over sold as is the feeling of challenge. They start out leading you to believe you'll need to be a hunter/gatherer to survive, stopping at camps to eat, heal, etc, but in reality there's only a couple scripted moments in the game where Lara has to look for food and med supplies. The rest is optional hunting/gathering for mere small amounts of added XP.

The real disappointment however comes in the form of very, very underwhelming tombs. Instead of say one elaborate tomb per area like we're used to seeing, there's at least twice as many micro tombs, each having one simple, easy to figure and navigate puzzle.

By the time you've gotten 100% completion on one run through, there's no incentive to play through most of the tombs on subsequent runs, unless they happen to be directly on your path. You can also skip a lot of the challenges and still have plenty for upgrades.

Hello, DLCs

Outfits. You have to complete the game wearing different outfits see which one makes you look best.
High heel challenge, No dirt on tank-top challenge. How long you can go without panting challenge.

The only real disappointment I had was
when a certain someone dies and you have 2 pistols and you decide to hand one away. I was like NO!!!

The ending says it all...

Hopefully the next one adds to this making it a bit more challenging because it was a good reboot into Laaarah becoming Lara Croft

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
The only real disappointment I had was
when a certain someone dies and you have 2 pistols and you decide to hand one away. I was like NO!!!

The ending says it all...

Hopefully the next one adds to this making it a bit more challenging because it was a good reboot into Laaarah becoming Lara Croft

Yeah, I didn't even tocuh on the disappointing ending, the game was underwhelming enough without that. I kept thinking through my disappointment of the game that the ending might at least...
...offer a boss fight against this mighty Sun Queen they kept going on about, but they couldn't even manage that. :rolleyes:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I have just finished playing it and I think that the game is kinda easy, in my opinion the previous tomb raiders(not the one before this one) were more fun and challenging then this one. This game feels like uncharted to me with a tomb raider twist and I don't like that, that said I don't think its a bad game, its a game that will hold your hand till the end with an iron grip but I had some fun with it.

Its not that video games are becoming corrupted, the problem is that the majority of people have probably not played the previous titles, and do not see that games in a whole have become easier, less imaginative, and more linear and their are many many many examples of this, but its not corruption this is just an "evolution(sadly)" of the current generation. Kids of today don't like hard games that you have to lose and learn in.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Kids of today don't like hard games that you have to lose and learn in.

Yup, sadly that's the reality. Such players have become the target audience it seems.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
The original couple of Tomb raiders were great games. #1 being the best of the bunch, mind blowing at the time of release for me.

This TR game is more like Uncharted +

And that is perfectly fine with me. I am loving every %#$@*!& second of this game.
But it isn't as challenging but meh...that doesn't bother me any.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I really don't see why they couldn't have appealed to a broader audience with this game. For instance most of the tombs are optional vs manadatory, so why not put in at least half a dozen tombs that aren't even accessible unless you play on Hard, and very challenging in puzzles and platforming like the old ones.

Instead they completely flip flopped to the new generation of players whom don't really care whether a game has such challenges, and that makes it clear they care more about the profit margin than their traditional TR fanbase.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11

Last edited by a moderator:
That player deserves to die if he fails at staying on pier platforms and the boat. :laugh:

I tried playing the game again without TressFX and got 4 zones in before it got annoying to see her screwed up hair. It just doesnt have the same effect. Might aswell just play the game in LOW settings.

It's kinda annoying that they use the same scripted death animation for different situations.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
An update for Tomb Raider was released.

Steam

I thought this was neat:

"While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build718.4, that can be used to switch back to the previous version." Kudos to Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics for going the extra distance on that one.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
I just picked this up this weekend and all I have to say is TressFX sucks balls! Her hair looks totally shit, it hovers several inches above her shoulders in some cases, and still clips right through her in others. It is total crap. Plus with TressFX turned off I get a steady 60FPS, with it on it drops to 30FPS and sometimes dips lower than that. A 30FPS drop isn't worth hair that looks like spaghetti noodles glued to Lara's head...

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I just picked this up this weekend and all I have to say is TressFX sucks balls! Her hair looks totally shit, it hovers several inches above her shoulders in some cases, and still clips right through her in others. It is total crap. Plus with TressFX turned off I get a steady 60FPS, with it on it drops to 30FPS and sometimes dips lower than that. A 30FPS drop isn't worth hair that looks like spaghetti noodles glued to Lara's head...

Its a new technology, give it time for Christ sake.

And its an improvement over the way hair is done in games since about 2005

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I just picked this up this weekend and all I have to say is TressFX sucks balls!

Are you even using the patch just released? One of the main things it fixes is excessive TressFX movement and the hair no-clipping you mentioned. Also, Tessselation causes the most FPS drop, not TressFX.

Trivia:

Did you guys know originally they were going to call this game Tomb Raider Ascension, and it was to have giants, horseback riding and a little girl that tags along with you? That would have sucked even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
^
Lol, looks like they are so empty with ideas, they are just combining games together.
It feels so Skyrim with assassin's creed and I laughed at this game so much.
Anyway, I have heard that Assassin's Creed new game, is going to be a girl...
Maybe pasting Tomb Raider's models too?

Tomb Raider's most important point was not the open world, but a closed world, where they can add extremely difficult puzzles.

Now that I think of it, it is not Tomb Raider the only one who completely lost it, but even Syphon Filter. (I know its old)
Other games are not heard anymore, like Vagrant Story.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Yeah I was telling somone on another forum the same. He seems to think Crystal Dynamics can do no wrong lately and wants horses in the next one. I say they are experimenting and struggling to come up with sound ideas that actually fit the TR universe well.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
Its a new technology, give it time for Christ sake.

And its an improvement over the way hair is done in games since about 2005

I don't care how new it is. People give PhysX crap for dropping framerates 10 FPS when it is generating a bunch of extra stuff on the screen, and no one gives a crap that TressFX is rendering one thing and one thing only and it is killing performance.

And going back to normal looks better, so no it isn't an improvement over the way hair has been done.

Are you even using the patch just released? One of the main things it fixes is excessive TressFX movement and the hair no-clipping you mentioned. Also, Tessselation causes the most FPS drop, not TressFX.

Yes I'm using the latest patch. And I can leave tesselation on and say above 60FPS and it affects everything in the environment. I turn TressFX on and performance tanks and it affects one useless thing in the game. Screw that.

I don't care how new it is. People give PhysX crap for dropping framerates 10 FPS when it is generating a bunch of extra stuff on the screen, and no one gives a crap that TressFX is rendering one thing and one thing only and it is killing performance.

And going back to normal looks better, so no it isn't an improvement over the way hair has been done.

Yes I'm using the latest patch. And I can leave tesselation on and say above 60FPS and it affects everything in the environment. I turn TressFX on and performance tanks and it affects one useless thing in the game. Screw that.

People give PhysX crap because its only accelerated through CUDA API which only works if you have a certain type of GPU. Plus the effects it acceleratates arent always on screen.
Lara Crofts hair is 99.9% of the time on screen. :rolleyes:

TressFX is DirectCompute which will work on any GPU that supports DirectX 10/11 so if your performance drops blame which ever GPU you have that its not strong enough at the resolution your playing at.

Normal hair is horrible and no differant then the hair seen in games the past decade.

Its like saying low resolution textures are better because high resolution textures slow down my computer and take up more memory.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

You don't really get an idea of how resource hungry each feature is until you disable them one at a time while running the bench. I did that with TressFX (vs Normal) , SSAO Ultra (vs High), VSync, Precision and Tesselation. The one that caused the lowest min FPS in the benchmark was Tesselation by far. Average FPS doesn't tell the whole story.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
People give PhysX crap because its only accelerated through CUDA API which only works if you have a certain type of GPU. Plus the effects it acceleratates arent always on screen.
Lara Crofts hair is 99.9% of the time on screen. :rolleyes:

TressFX is DirectCompute which will work on any GPU that supports DirectX 10/11 so if your performance drops blame which ever GPU you have that its not strong enough at the resolution your playing at.

Normal hair is horrible and no differant then the hair seen in games the past decade.

Its like saying low resolution textures are better because high resolution textures slow down my computer and take up more memory.

People constantly complain about PhysX having horrible performance.

And PhysX effects involve the environment, so just because it goes of the screen that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be accelerated, because when it comes back on the screen it has to be in the right location.

And it is nothing like saying low resolution textures are better because high resolution hurts performance.

My argument is multifaceted.

High resolution textures actually make the games look better.

TressFX doesn't make the game look better, I already said that.

It makes her hair look like crap, it looks like Medusa, it looks worse than setting it to normal.

And I'm running a 660Ti, if that isn't strong enough then the technology is worthless.

You don't really get an idea of how resource hungry each feature is until you disable them one at a time while running the bench. I did that with TressFX (vs Normal) , SSAO Ultra (vs High), VSync, Precision and Tesselation. The one that caused the lowest min FPS in the benchmark was Tesselation by far. Average FPS doesn't tell the whole story.

That is fine, but with Tesselation on I can maintain 60 FPS.

When I enable TressFX, even with Tesselation off, any time Lara is on screen the game never goes above 30FPS.

The cut scenes make this obvious.

When another character is talking the framerate is over 60FPS at all times.

The instant the camera goes to Lara the framerate drops below 30.

TressFX is complete crap.

If it kills performance just to render hair, it is useless, period.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

And PhysX effects involve the environment, so just because it goes of the screen that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be accelerated, because when it comes back on the screen it has to be in the right location.

And it is nothing like saying low resolution textures are better because high resolution hurts performance.

It makes her hair look like crap, it looks like Medusa, it looks worse than setting it to normal.

And I'm running a 660Ti, if that isn't strong enough then the technology is worthless.

When I enable TressFX, even with Tesselation off, any time Lara is on screen the game never goes above 30FPS.

Look at your system specs, and maybe try the new beta drivers from NVidia that boost performance in Tomb Raider with TressFX by about 60% on average.

Also TressFX is DirectCompute accelerated. your GTX660ti like my 680 but even worse are weak with DirectCompute which is why performance is hit so hard with it enabled. :shadedshu

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

So far, given the way you write and especially your avatar, I've read all your posts in my head in Cartman's voice. Even if your arguments aren't successful, you are. :rockout: