• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Plextor NGFF SSD Belts Out Up To 700 MB/s Transfer Rates

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
In addition to its 2.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s TLC NAND flash SSD, Plextor showed off its upcoming SSD in the NGFF form-factor, designed for next-generation Ultrabooks. Based on the same Marvell 88SS9189 processor and triple-level cell (TLC) NAND flash memory as its 2.5-inch cousin, the drive differs in being a 42 x 22 mm (LxW) NGFF module, with PCI-Express 2.0 x2 interface. The drives will be sold in 128 GB and 256 GB capacities, featuring 256 MB and 512 MB DDR3 DRAM caches, respectively. On offer are read speeds of up to 700 MB/s, writes of up to 550 MB/s, and maximum 4K random write performance of 100,000 IOPS. The NGFF drives should arrive around the same time as Ultrabooks based on 4th generation Core "Haswell" processors.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I see two pieces of nand and a ram chip. I really hope that the 88ss9189 is pci-e native, but I doubt it. I also don't think that there exists a sata->pci-e device, due to the small pcb size and the transfer rates > sataIII, so I don't know what to think anymore =P

Either way, good progression in terms of performance density.

EDIT: apparently, it's the 88ss9183

700 MB read and 550 MB write on an non Raid solution? that pretty quick:rockout:

The benchmark numbers are under ideal, not practical operating conditions. No one can tell the difference between a benchmark score of 700 MB read and 500 MB read in actual practice. While it's nice to see SSDs evolving, for the most part it's just marketing hype.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
The benchmark numbers are under ideal, not practical operating conditions. No one can tell the difference between a benchmark score of 700 MB read and 500 MB read in actual practice. While it's nice to see SSDs evolving, for the most part it's just marketing hype.

Marketing hype????? :laugh: :rolleyes:

You don't know performance then bud. or have never been on a drive like this?

I had a fast Corsair SSD and I wanted faster, I got another one, RAID-0 and WOW it was night and day difference, boot-up, game loads, program loads, installs, name it and it was faster...

sure browsing the web was the same :rolleyes:

Just one of those would make a very nice 60fps HD game recording drive.

Marketing hype????? :laugh: :rolleyes:

You don't know performance then bud. or have never been on a drive like this?

I had a fast Corsair SSD and I wanted faster, I got another one, RAID-0 and WOW it was night and day difference, boot-up, game loads, program loads, installs, name it and it was faster...

sure browsing the web was the same :rolleyes:

Actually I have owned Plextor hardware for years including their latest M5P and as I said, you can not tell the difference between 700 MB and 500 MB in real world use because you never see those rates on these SSDs.

FYI- SSD RAID is not the same as just changing from a 500 MB "rated" SSD to a 700 MB "rated" SSD.

Benchmarks are a reference point but do not represent actual performance as more and more hardware makers are using as disclaimers in small print with their marketing hype. Competent PC Hardware reviewers will tell you that the benches don't represent real world performance and that the benchmarking is on new, empty drives. If you wanna believe the hype, you're the guy they write this stuff for.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
Actually I have owned Plextor hardware for years including their latest M5P and as I said, you can not tell the difference between 700 MB and 500 MB in real world use because you never see those rates on these SSDs.

FYI- SSD RAID is not the same as just changing from a 500 MB "rated" SSD to a 700 MB "rated" SSD.

Benchmarks are a reference point but do not represent actual performance as more and more hardware makers are using as disclaimers in small print with their marketing hype. Competent PC Hardware reviewers will tell you that the benches don't represent real world performance and that the benchmarking is on new, empty drives. If you wanna believe the hype, you're the guy they write this stuff for.

Unless running benchmarks or doing something intensive requiring a lot of transfers, I cannot tell the difference between a 500mb/s SSD and a 300mb/s SSD. In general use, there's just not much difference.

In gaming, I tested Vertex3 vs the latest Velociraptor and besides a few secs in load times there's no difference in experience. I say that because even with just the velociraptor, I'm almost always the first to finish loading. If someone has SSD and beats me, I still have to wait for other people to load. If it's a game where you can just jump in then connection time is longer than load time. I run my games from the HD and run/record fraps from the SSD with no problems.

So far SSD is best for general use and saw the most benefit in booting times, installs, uninstalls, high random and IO stuff.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nice, but needs more giggage! Intel promised me that NGFF would initially max at 512GB.