• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Enermax Triathlor FC 550 W

Enermax, one of the major power supply unit manufacturers, recently introduced their Thriathlor series consisting of mainstream budget-orientated units. This review will look at the entry level modular Thriathlor PSU with 550 W capacity to figure out how it performs against our load testers.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z87 Extreme 4
Cooling Lepa NeoIllusion RGB CPU cooler
Memory 2*4GB Patriot G2 Series RAM
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB
Storage Transcend SSD 740 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SA 300 24" Full HD
Case NZXT Phantom 530 + Bitfenix Recon fan controller
Audio Device(s) Creative SB0770 X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer MkIII 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steelseries Apex RAW
Benchmark Scores IT WORKS
It looks that your sample haves broken RPM regulator :|

Last edited:
System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Unlikely. I believe that the main issue is that the minor rails' VRM circuits are heat-intolerant. This is probably why they underperformed at the dynamic load transients, and also why the fan has an aggressive speed curve.

They should've used more (powerful) MOSFETs for those, and added some more bulk capacity. Inductors are nice and beefy, no qualms there.

Overall, with some tweaking, this could've been a nice alternative to the Seasonic AM platform, or CWT's PUQ-B. However, as it stands now, it's not.

It looks that your sample haves broken RPM regulator :|

Ah nope. It is just that are rated/tuned for up to 40C and I test them at over 45C (because the higher the temp the tougher the tests). Nevertheless I also provide the full fan output noise profile at normal ambient, in order to show you the fan profile at more relaxed scenarios or in cases with very good airflow.

Unlikely. I believe that the main issue is that the minor rails' VRM circuits are heat-intolerant. This is probably why they underperformed at the dynamic load transients, and also why the fan has an aggressive speed curve.

They should've used more (powerful) MOSFETs for those, and added some more bulk capacity. Inductors are nice and beefy, no qualms there.

Overall, with some tweaking, this could've been a nice alternative to the Seasonic AM platform, or CWT's PUQ-B. However, as it stands now, it's not.

Actually I ran dymanic load tests at close to 40C temps and not at 45C. So I don't think that heat has to do so much with the dynamic loads response. It is just that the VRMs are weak or not optimal tuned (because the PWM controller also plays a significant part in transient loads).

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Primary cap only rated for 85 °C? No wonder the warranty is short...

the main hold-up cap however is not the one that matters the most and in general doesn't take too much stress. On the contrary, the most important caps are the ones of the secondary side which take most burden. There 105C caps really make a difference.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
This is true for decent PSUs with a good EMI/input filter, and especially APFC ones. In low-quality sub $25 PSUs, with inadequate or no input filtering, the primary caps are in actual danger of failing due to both internal overheating (for enduring high ripple/noise) and overvoltage (from occasional unfiltered voltage spikes).

While on the subject, it's actually just the voltage rating that's more important to primary caps in decent PSUs than temperature rating. The output voltage of the half-wave rectified AC is ~380V, but can occasionally hiccup to a bit higher due to various reasons which I won't go into right now. This is why I'd rather have 420V or even 450V-rated 85°C primary cap(s) than 400V-rated 105°C cap(s).

Thanks for your high informative post! Since most users are not familiar with electronics I chose not to mention the DC bus voltage of 380VDC and the tight regulation that a 400V APFC cap demands. However in some past reviews I highlighted this.

Also the main APFC cap isn't so stressed, at least from heat perspective, since it isn't blocked by other components and the unit's fan (usually top mounted) directly cools it, contrary to the secondary caps that usually are blocked by wires or other components.