• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iMac AMD Radeon 5750 (5850m) flash error

iMacDKOwner2013

Doesn't new iMacs have some sort of "mechanism" in their BIOS to restrain/prevent the use of say hardware not specifically made for (certified by?) Apple?
Maybe since the Video ID has changed, the system reads that the card is different??
Just a thought..

Its just a theory of mine... I cannot confirm it as it is! But it would make sense, because everything is working as it should?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Doesn't new iMacs have some sort of "mechanism" in their BIOS to restrain/prevent the use of say hardware not specifically made for (certified by?) Apple?
Maybe since the Video ID has changed, the system reads that the card is different??
Just a thought..

I actually believe that the Apple EFI is preventing the GFX from booting because the Video ID has changed! I think there is some sort of precaution/restriction in the Apple BIOS that prevents the iMac from booting if you upgrade or change your GFX!

I'm pretty sure that it uses a generic driver like Windows does and limits you to only 1024x768 unless you force it to another resolution on boot. I don't think this is the case, I think the GPU is failing to initialize because the voltages, timings on memory, and signalling between the 5770 and 6870 are very, very, very different.

There are very few reasons to flash a BIOS/VBIOS on a PC. I know you're probably feeling pretty crappy about this, but a point has to come out of this, even more so since I administrate a fleet of Apple laptops at work. There is absolutely no reason at all whatsoever to flash anything on a Mac that isn't in the form of an Apple update, EVER! Even if you do manage to get the BIOS switched back, it's very possible you could have fried the GPU since both GPUs run at different voltages and such and just attempting to use the different settings could damage the device.

I wish you the best of luck, keep us updated on your progress. Worse comes to worse, now that you know that video card is removable, if it is bricked you could attempt to replace it, but worry about that when you get there. Cheers. :toast:

iMacDKOwner2013

I'm pretty sure that it uses a generic driver like Windows does and limits you to only 1024x768 unless you force it to another resolution on boot. I don't think this is the case, I think the GPU is failing to initialize because the voltages, timings on memory, and signalling between the 5770 and 6870 are very, very, very different.

There are very few reasons to flash a BIOS/VBIOS on a PC. I know you're probably feeling pretty crappy about this, but a point has to come out of this, even more so since I administrate a fleet of Apple laptops at work. There is absolutely no reason at all whatsoever to flash anything on a Mac that isn't in the form of an Apple update, EVER! Even if you do manage to get the BIOS switched back, it's very possible you could have fried the GPU since both GPUs run at different voltages and such and just attempting to use the different settings could damage the device.

I wish you the best of luck, keep us updated on your progress. Worse comes to worse, now that you know that video card is removable, if it is bricked you could attempt to replace it, but worry about that when you get there. Cheers. :toast:

You are misunderstanding! I did not use 6870 BIOS, but I just edited the video ID in RBE to detect it as a 6870! The BIOS on the VGA card is the stock BIOS with few hz added (50-75 hz).

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
You are misunderstanding! I did not use 6870 BIOS, but I just edited the video ID in RBE to detect it as a 6870! The BIOS on the VGA card is the stock BIOS with few hz added (50-75 hz).

...and what other things does changing the video ID impact? That's the thing. You're right, it might work if you get it flashed back, I'm just saying it might not and you have to brace yourself for that.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
build up cash for an RMA man, youre s*1+ outta luck with trying to firmware flash. Tools used in windows/DOS are not the same as those used in Mac, (different file formats used).

If it ain't broken don't fix it...

iMacDKOwner2013

...and what other things does changing the video ID impact? That's the thing. You're right, it might work if you get it flashed back, I'm just saying it might not and you have to brace yourself for that.

Of course it could happen, but I do not believe that is the case. I hope and believe that it would work as I did not do something crazy to it like overclocking it to insane amounts or such. The GPU is actually capable of running at 825 hz stable, so it should not be a problem in theory or practice.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Of course it could happen, but I do not believe that is the case. I hope and believe that it would work as I did not do something crazy to it like overclocking it to insane amounts or such. The GPU is actually capable of running at 825 hz stable, so it should not be a problem in theory or practice.

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to change the video id to do it. They're different architectures, you can't expect them to work the same.

iMacDKOwner2013

build up cash for an RMA man, youre s*1+ outta luck with trying to firmware flash. Tools used in windows/DOS are not the same as those used in Mac, (different file formats used).

I know that, but I still believe it is recoverable. I don't have reasons to believe that it is a lost cause or beyond repair. That does not sound likely as I see it.

iMacDKOwner2013

Yeah, but you shouldn't have to change the video id to do it. They're different architectures, you can't expect them to work the same.

However, Its not like it changed architectures, but it should just be recognized as a 6870 driver-wise and nothing else. The 6870 is just a rebrand of the 5870. And the difference between a 5850 and a 5870 is just clock-speed. Simplified.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

I know that, but I still believe it is recoverable. I don't have reasons to believe that it is a lost cause or beyond repair. That does not sound likely as I see it.

you do not have the facilities to recover the firmware of that card that the manufacturer of the card does. Save yourself time and heart ache. That Card is a few generations old too.

iMacDKOwner2013

you do not have the facilities to recover the firmware of that card that the manufacturer of the card does. Save yourself time and heart ache. That Card is a few generations old too.

Well lets cross that bridge when time is due. I am quite confident and hopeful in regards to that I can recover the card :toast: And I hope that I am right!

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Well I learned here that iMacs have an actual video card. I always assumed onboard especially as an "M".

Are you sure the problem isn't that the refresh rate is now too high for the display?

iMacDKOwner2013

Well I learned here that iMacs have an actual video card. I always assumed onboard especially as an "M".

Are you sure the problem isn't that the refresh rate is now too high for the display?

The iMacs uses a MXM video card... Which is a stand-alone Mobile GFX - simplified. The refresh-rate is not an issue and should not be relevant in this case or situation :) However, I do understand your statement, because if you set your refresh-rate too high in Windows, then the screen just turns black as the LCD cannot handle it.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Yeah same on a Mac, it's the hardware not the OS, of course. I actually only mentioned refresh as I thought that's what you said you edited along with the type/device ID/whatever. Maybe you just meant you added more Hz options not actually changed what the card was outputting to the display.

iMacDKOwner2013

Yeah same on a Mac, it's the hardware not the OS, of course. I actually only mentioned refresh as I thought that's what you said you edited along with the type/device ID/whatever. Maybe you just meant you added more Hz options not actually changed what the card was outputting to the display.

Oh ok :) But I meant the clockspeed and missed the "M" in Mhz :) Im uploading some screenshots now for all to see :)

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Oh ok :) But I meant the clockspeed :) Im uploading some screenshots now for all to see :)

That's because you're saying the wrong thing, the clock speed would be Mhz not hz.

iMacDKOwner2013

Update 3!

UPDATE 3:

I have now managed to extract the original stock VGA BIOS backup from my iMac harddrive! And I have loaded the one from this site, my backup and the modified bios and taken screen shots of them, so the people that wants to help me in here can see it too :)

Attachments

• Stock Apple Original.jpg
    Stock Apple Original.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 436
  • Modified BIOS.jpg
    Modified BIOS.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 428
  • TechupBIOS.jpg
    TechupBIOS.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 426
  • Modified BIOS 2.jpg
    Modified BIOS 2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 425
  • Stock Apple Original 2.jpg
    Stock Apple Original 2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 381

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
So did you ever read that warning there where is says to check the FAQ when you change then card or vendor ids? It's in red for a reason. :wtf:

iMacDKOwner2013

So did you ever read that warning there where is says to check the FAQ when you change then card or vendor ids? It's in red for a reason. :wtf:

I read it, but from what I gathered from the FAQ was the it was simply how it would get detected in Windows. This was my initial understanding of it.

The E3flasher is a great piece of work but a rig like it for vid cards has yet to be produced. Yes you will need to remove the card & the chip from the card to flash. see the e-bay link in post 31 for the type of flasher required. You could ask around in your local compter stores & see if any of the techs have one or know of sombody who will do it for you, desodering the chip & reattaching is a skill that take pratice & a steady hand
http://applecomponents.com/media/parts/resized/661-5578.gif
if you look @ the MXM card in post 20 [it's a 6xxx ati card] you can see that the img posted here has the heat sink still on it you will need to remove it to find the bios chip.
this vid will give you a look @ chip removal. but you really shoud look for some pro to help you

Can you please see my latest UPDATE 3! I have posted new pictures and retrieved the original backup rom. And have also for the benefit of the site and asked uploaded information in regards to the mislabeled firmware in the database and my stock rom :)

put in another video card or switch the display cable to another port not on the gpu and clear the CMOS on the mobo so it reads the new port

also can you show me a pic of what ur gpu looks like so I can add it to the db :)

Do you still want me to upload my BIOS VGA ROM? Even-though its looks to be the same. I'm comparing it to the mislabeled VGA BIOS :) I have screenshots for you to look it.

Does anyone know whether I can access SSH-access to OSX if I extract the iMac HD and connect it to my Windows PC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Does anyone know whether I can access SSH-access to OSX if I extract the iMac HD and connect it to my Windows PC?

Only if you chroot but that won't get you access to anything that would be able to help you.

I read it, but from what I gathered from the FAQ was the it was simply how it would get detected in Windows. This was my initial understanding of it.

Can you please see my latest UPDATE 3! I have posted new pictures and retrieved the original backup rom. And have also for the benefit of the site and asked uploaded information in regards to the mislabeled firmware in the database and my stock rom :)

Do you still want me to upload my BIOS VGA ROM? Even-though its looks to be the same. I'm comparing it to the mislabeled VGA BIOS :) I have screenshots for you to look it.

...and use the multi-post button. You've been told this earlier in the thread already. Please respect the forum rules and limit yourself to one post.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
No it would have to be somehow booted for ssh to be functioning and you would be simply trying to mount the filesystem by slapping it on a Windows box... on a disk format that Windows can't read without something like Mac Drive.

Failing that, this is pretty easy if that thing has FW 800 and you can find another Mac with the same. Just boot up holding T for Target Disk Mode turning the iMac into an external drive. Though it sounds like the drive may be (practically) out of the machine already.

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
These pic show the location of the bios chip green 5870 mxm blue 7970 mxm cards

Attachments

• 5870mxm bios chip.jpg
    5870mxm bios chip.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 7970mxm bios chip.jpg
    7970mxm bios chip.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 5870MXM front.jpg
    5870MXM front.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 431

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Oh you could probably find (or make) a Linux Live CD that can read HFS+ to boot your PC from with the drive connected. Perhaps some "rescue" distro.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
@ iMacDKOwner2013, start using the multiquote/edit buttons or I will close the thread, I like to keep my room tidy!

iMacDKOwner2013

No it would have to be somehow booted for ssh to be functioning and you would be simply trying to mount the filesystem by slapping it on a Windows box... on a disk format that Windows can't read without something like Mac Drive.

Failing that, this is pretty easy if that thing has FW 800 and you can find another Mac with the same. Just boot up holding T for Target Disk Mode turning the iMac into an external drive. Though it sounds like the drive may be (practically) out of the machine already.

Well I thought it could be a possible solution so that I could access the machine from my other Mac computers and PCs. Well, where there is a will there is a way I guess :-D

These pic show the location of the bios chip green 5870 mxm blue 7970 mxm cards

You Sir are my hero with OneMoar of course :) I will be fixing it later today or tomorrow! So fingers crossed! :)

Oh you could probably find (or make) a Linux Live CD that can read HFS+ to boot your PC from with the drive connected. Perhaps some "rescue" distro.

There is a windows partition reading software for the OSX, so thought that there might be something similar for Windows? If I could enable SSH on the iMac harddisc, which I have extracted - that would be golden! :)

@ iMacDKOwner2013, start using the multiquote/edit buttons or I will close the thread, I like to keep my room tidy!

Well I did not know how to, but I just found out now. So it should not be a problem in the future :) And I have been using the "edit" button. :toast: