• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Tomb Raider (Discussion)

So far, given the way you write and especially your avatar, I've read all your posts in my head in Cartman's voice. Even if your arguments aren't successful, you are. :rockout:

Right now hes try'n to convince Stan, Kyle and Kenny. TressFX is no biggy while even Kenny is running it at 60fps with TressFX on.

Wait until he realizes he has a 660 TI and starts cursing at it. :laugh:

The links to TombRaider bechmarks are posted in this thread in Post #83 & #84

There has been 2 game updates and 2 driver updates to help Nvidia performance.

Last edited:
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Look at your system specs, and maybe try the new beta drivers from NVidia that boost performance in Tomb Raider with TressFX by about 60% on average.

Also TressFX is DirectCompute accelerated. your GTX660ti like my 680 but even worse are weak with DirectCompute which is why performance is hit so hard with it enabled. :shadedshu

Exactly, was going to sufffice with saying my spec doesn't have anywhere near such problems, but you said it better.

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
People give PhysX crap because its only accelerated through CUDA API which only works if you have a certain type of GPU.

I just wanted to revisit this statement because I learned something today.

TressFX isn't even included in the PS3 or Xbox360 versions of the game.

PhysX works on both consoles, as well as the Wii and WiiU.

PhysX works on more hardware than TressFX, so your argument doesn't make any sense.

Look at your system specs, and maybe try the new beta drivers from NVidia that boost performance in Tomb Raider with TressFX by about 60% on average.

Also TressFX is DirectCompute accelerated. your GTX660ti like my 680 but even worse are weak with DirectCompute which is why performance is hit so hard with it enabled. :shadedshu

It isn't just about performance.

If the performance was terrible but the effect was actually good I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But her hair looks like a bunch of shit spaghetti stuck on her head.

No one wants that.

And simply rendering hair should not take that much directcompute power.

Midrange cards should be able to handle that.

Now if TressFX was used for explosions and a lot of things going on on screen then it could use a lot of directcompute power, but it isn't.

It is being used on hair so it shouldn't be using any directcompute power at all.

And everyone said that developers would start to use physics to improve games once a standard was released that worked on both nVidia and AMD, but obviously that didn't happen.

Developers were giving something that works on both and they decided it was best used to render hair.

Not all the cool stuff that it could have been used for.

Not destructible environments or explosions, no, they used it to render hair, and did a shitty job at it too.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
and did a shitty job at it too.

I think this is because the entire world is not physic-reactive, so the hair itself isn't truly manipulated by the environment as in real life.

That said, they need runtimes for each little bit here, one by one..walls...dust, air, ground, persons, cloth, hair...and then they need to sync each up. You're not going to get any really decent physic-based effects until the world itself is actually 100% a physics object.. and we are many years away from that still.

This is simply step one. By a baby. Give that baby time to grow, and it might surprise you of what it is capable of.

I just wanted to revisit this statement because I learned something today.

TressFX isn't even included in the PS3 or Xbox360 versions of the game.

PhysX works on both consoles, as well as the Wii and WiiU.

PhysX works on more hardware than TressFX, so your argument doesn't make any sense.

And console dont accelerate PhysX when included in there games. Only PC versions of those game have acceleration and require Nvidia hardware to do so thru CUDA API.

If TressFX was a PhysX feature it would only be accelerated on Nvidia hardware.

The fact is TressFX works on both major PC GPUs Nvidia and AMD because its using Microsoft DirectX DirectCompute to accelerate not some proprietary API like PhysX Cuda.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
TressFX isn't a PhysX feature, it's what AMD came up with, and they've never jumped on Nvidia's PhysX bandwagon.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/02/26/amd-tressfx/

Note that physics is mentioned, but never once do they refer to "PhysX".

TressFX, like HDAO, works on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but AMD has the performance edge with much stronger direct compute power. If you ask me, Nvidia need to step up their game in this regard. They do OK on AA, but that's about it lately.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
The fact is TressFX works on both major PC GPUs Nvidia and AMD because its using Microsoft DirectX DirectCompute to accelerate not some proprietary API like PhysX Cuda.

I shouldn't have to explain the irony of your statement.

Anyone that thinks DirectX isn't a proprietary API is an idiot.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

I'm pretty sure he was talking about proprietary with regards to the hardware. DirectX is proprietary to the platform.

To elaborate, you could only use the DirectX API on a Microsoft platform. PhysX, however, can be used on a number of different platforms; Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

He means DirectCompute, unlike PhysX, is not exclusive to Nvidia or AMD. Seems obvious to me.

That said, "proprietary" is a bit misleading because PhysX is free for AMD to use. AMD just never chose to get involved with it. Thus, it's only exclusive to Nvidia by AMD's choice.

The word "proprietary" often implies royalties paid, but in the case of PhysX, it's as free to use as any open source software, provided it's used on the platforms it's designed for.

Last edited by a moderator:

:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about proprietary with regards to the hardware. DirectX is proprietary to the platform.

To elaborate, you could only use the DirectX API on a Microsoft platform. PhysX, however, can be used on a number of different platforms; Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc.

Thats what I get for asuming he understands.

Should explain to him that PhysX is only accelerated on Windows PC platforms.

Any other platform its just a tool like any other middleware to enhance the game engine if a developer chooses to incorperate it.

Last edited:
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Display(s) 1920x1080
Power Supply CX650M
:rolleyes:

Thats what I get for asuming he understands.

Should explain to him that PhysX is only accelerated on Windows PC platforms.

Any other platform its just a tool like any other middleware to enhance the game engine if a developer chooses to incorperate it.

So you're saying that TressFX is so much better than PhysX because it uses a non-proprietary API, that is actually proprietary, because it allows hardware acceleration of hair on both nVidia and AMD hardware on Windows only while PhysX allows physics to be applied to more than just hair on Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, PS3, Xbox, etc.?

Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Stop confusing the platform base with proprietary. Proprietary only refers to whom developed and owns it. The platforms it's licensed for is an entirely different issue and not solely the decision of the proprietor.

The word "proprietary" often implies royalties paid, but in the case of PhysX, it's as free to use as any open source software, provided it's used on the platforms it's designed for.

Not too sure about that. Site say its free but when you read the EULA.

2. License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, NVIDIA grants you (“you”) a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable world-wide, royalty-free license to (a) internally install, use and display the PHYSX SDK, solely for purposes of developing PHYSX asset content for Physics Applications; (b) internally use, copy, modify and compile the Sample Code to design, develop and test PHYSX assets; and (c) reproduce and distribute the Redistributable Code only in object code form and only as fully integrated into Physics Applications, in each case solely for (i) your commercial purposes provided that you receive less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) in gross revenue associated with Physics Applications or (ii) your non-commercial purposes.

Its free unless you make $100,000 or more. Similar to Havok and if they charge the same they pretty much raping developers. The only differance there is Havok doesnt require you to be a marketing tool for them if your paying fees.
With PhysX you pretty much become a NasCar sponsored by Nvidia type deal.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Not too sure about that. Site say its free but when you read the EULA.

I'm not talking about royalties charged to developers, I'm referring to AMD having been offered things like CUDA and PhysX as free to use technologies. That said, I miss worded the sentence prior to referring to AMD's refusal to use it. It's been edited.

AMD refused, and I can understand why, just as I'd understand if Nvidia didn't want to use TressFX.

I happen to think the tech industry works best when there's more of an atmosphere of competition, it sparks innovation and keeps prices lower.

It's understandable royalties on such tech would scale for software developers, because they are merely using tech that the chip designers create. There's no cost for them to design, test or implement it into a chip. They merely apply it to their own projects, and are even given instruction on how to use it. It's similar to developers being charged a fee for using an engine they didn't create. It's also understandable small scale use of it would be free, so they can make things like tech demos to decide if they want to use it, or start up dev teams trying it out on small test projects.

Personally I don't get why Nvidia and others get blamed for such things. Does not Miicrosoft charge for Office? Does not Adobe charge for Photoshop?

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Well it looks like TressFX runs better on an nvidia card with the latest nv beta drivers.. shaving off just 10.4% performance on the GTX680 with TressFX turned on as opposed to the 22.2% performance penalty from the overclocked HD7970.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/20/tomb_raider_video_card_performance_iq_review/6

And all this time I thought it was Kepler's crappy compute power that was holding it back.

After reading more on TressFX. It seams the initial AMD boost had more to do with the way AMD was handling instructions. The new Nvidia drivers fixed that so performance should be good on either manufacturer. If I can find the article again I'll link it.

Thats the way it should be. Tech that works good on both so the end user gets the benefit of the product they purchase.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Still doubtfull about the nvidia performance though.. I'm thinking nv driver shaving off a bit of image quality on TR to get those numbers... anybody wants to do an nv-amd comparison count on Lara's tressFx hair strands? :D jk

inb4 bald Lara jokes

Last edited:
Still doubtfull about the nvidia performance though.. I'm thinking nv driver shaving off a bit of image quality on TR to get those numbers... anybody wants to do a nv-amd comparison count on Lara's tressFx hair strands? :D jk

Stop joking around man... :p

Before someone bust out the DirectCompute to CUDA wrapper on you :slap:

Would be funny if either one was doing something like that. Like the old days.
Atleast we'd have something to talk about instead of just waiting for next gen cycle or next good game to come out.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Still doubtfull about the nvidia performance though.. I'm thinking nv driver shaving off a bit of image quality on TR to get those numbers...

If so, it certainly wouldn't be the first time Nvidia has done such things. I seem to recall an instance where a driver update of their's left a game with lots of texture pop-ins

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
If so, it certainly wouldn't be the first time Nvidia has done such things. I seem to recall an instance where a driver update of their's left a game with lots of texture pop-ins

I think the last time I remember image quality not being the best with an NVidia driver update was with Crysis 1. Things in the distance looked so much better on an AMD card then Nvidia. When both were running AF x16

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Just updated to Nvidia new beta drivers. Heres the results for you guys 20FPS increase!

TressFX on 314.07 WHQL

TressFX on 314.21 Beta
For this one I kept shadow resolution to Medium, because that is what the Ultimate graphic setting used to set too before the High Shadow resolution setting was available.

nvidia this, amd that ... In the meanwhile

Lara Croft was supposed to be gay, writer reveals

Writer Rhianna Pratchett reveals that she originally wanted Lara Croft to be gay. She believes that having a gay character would be a very interesting change in videogames. However, she doesn't think the industry is ready for that yet. “There's a part of me that would've loved to make Lara gay. I'm not sure Crystal Dynamics would be ready for it!” said Pratchett.

Thoughts?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB