• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7-4770K "Haswell" Tested, Not a Leap Ahead of i7-3770K, But Consistent

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
They have been throwing all the RnD they can at Lv and mobile chips as they are fully aware arm and qualcom are spanking them in the mobile arena and making serious money too , qualcom are growing ridiculousy fast... its on their mind hence the drive for efficiency over raw performance.

ARM CPU's are barely edging out Intels second attempt at a true mobile CPU--with something like their 20th revision. Says a lot when Intel can come in half a decade late and catch up within two years. Last year Toms Hardware ran an article that I completely believe, making the bold claim that by the end of 2014 Intel would be making mobile CPU's that were at least as good as the ARM alternatives.

I agree the cpu in my main rig , which replaced a 960t to play it better but id go with this, as ive said prior.

The 960t was noticabley worse than even first gen i7's.

System Name Tiffany
Processor Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Cooling Corsair H100i Push-Pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 Crossfire @ 925Mhz
Storage WD 500GB + Seagate 1 TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420TX 120hz
Case Cooler Master CM690II Black & White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
Software Windows 7
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
ARM CPU's are barely edging out Intels second attempt at a true mobile CPU--with something like their 20th revision. Says a lot when Intel can come in half a decade late and catch up within two years. Last year Toms Hardware ran an article that I completely believe, making the bold claim that by the end of 2014 Intel would be making mobile CPU's that were at least as good as the ARM alternatives.

The 960t was noticabley worse than even first gen i7's.

Whilst I agreet with them haveing the performance , I ment sales , sold skus and money in ,qualcom and imagination tech are doing way better than intel in sales in mobile obv but all in we both agree intel can inovate and create a chip its sales tho
Dont get sidelined by the arm comment I mentioned them as imho they are intels r and d focus nemisis not amd for eg

The 960t replaced a Q6600 and was a usable valid upgrade path since moneys tight yet I wanted 4x pciex my options we're amd but im not biased

Last edited:

Wait a second.

Intel has been developing the x86-64 designed processors since the 80's. If my math is correct, that's 30+ years to get the designs correct. They've had time to learn how to boost power efficiency, increase operational frequency, and they've got a development budget that makes some nations look poor comparatively.

ARM is an initiative by multiple entities that takes the less utilized RISC instruction set and agreed upon standards to make low power consumption chips. Let's agree with that 20th revision ARM processor assumption. If Intel only had 3 processor revisions during R&D every year, you're looking at 90th+ generation of Intel x86-64 processor. Intel is ARM's senior by enough revisions to consider the two entities entirely separate of one another.

Back on topic. 4770~=3770 isn't something new. Intel is focusing on mobile platforms (socket 2011 being the first casualty, but 1155 not lagging too far behind), and allowing higher performing segments to languish. It's not a surprise to anyone who's been around in the past three years.

Intel is trying to squash ARM. It's trying to prevent the APU from claiming any ground. Intel is finding itself in a unique position where two competitors have had a lead into the market they want to be in. AMD has graphics, ARM has power efficiency, and Intel is closing the gap. I know that it isn't what power users want to hear, but at least the mobile computing market isn't stagnating.

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
The 960t replaced a Q6600 and was a usable valid upgrade path since moneys tight yet I wanted 4x pciex my options we're amd but im not biased

Didn't 960T's also have a slight chance of unlocking into hexa-cores? And by that, I'm pretty sure it would outpace any Core 2 Intels, maybe except a Skulltrail setup, LMAO.

Anyway, anyone know if Haswell Pentiums or at least i3s will have PCI-Express 3.0?