• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Feeling like a complete newb.

lolzerbomb

Although i shouldn't be.

So i just bought some new parts to upgrade my computer with. Have been building my own pcs for five or so years and know a bit about it. what to look for to make sure compatibility is right and what have you.
new parts i bought include
ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

EVGA 02G-P4-3657-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

I have already a
CORSAIR GS800 800W ATX12V (v2.1) i believe

2 x 4GB G-skill ripjaw 1600 ddr3 ram sticks pc3-12800

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black

So after properly installing all the new hardware and plugging in all the wires into the correct slots, atx slots, etc. i turn on my computer it boots up, fans running and all... no video / mouse / or keyboard feed. to top it off the red led light in front turns and stays on. no sound comes from the system to tell me its the memory, and the only way i'm able to shut the computer down is by turning off the psu from the switch in back.

outta hours of searching online and finding nothing i go out and buy another model mobo, same brand and all.. reading somewhere it might've been a bad one.

repeat process's although this time, nothing powers up..

so i'm left with two mobos both not responding well to me... just bad luck or am i missing something bigger?

if i can supply any more info feel free to ask, i'd like to solve this as quick as possible.

could it be the ram? granted it is a bit old..

i've also followed a bunch of step by step guides in making sure what to do in case you can't get video feed etc. still no luck.

any advice or feedback or suggestions would be awesome.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus PRO V2
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Memory Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Trio X
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME/Supertalent Teranova 2x1TB
Display(s) Acer XV340CK
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G513 Tactile
Software Windows 10 Pro
Test ech memory stick on its own and try different slots,also did you remember to plug in the CPU 8pin power connector?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Mechanical drives? SSD?

I run 32GB of memory at insane timings and really good speed with no issues. Memory is cheap and makes a hell of an improvement on that CPU, spend a hundred bucks getting a step down in processor, and get better memory, overclock it and you have a better system.

*** Sorry, tired and thought you were asking for advice on purchase or setup***

remove everything except one stick of RAM and unplug everything else except the power button and speaker if it has one.

If it beeps about the video card add it back in.
If it still fails unplug even the memory and use a jumper to try and power up just the board.
If that fails do you have another CPU to try/also remove the motherboard and power it up out of the case and see what that does.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
When assembling PCs there are certain things you do to help limit having to track down problems before they happen.

Do a POST test out side of the case. With only the minimal things plunged in. CPU, one stick ram, monitor and keyboard and that's it if it has on board video. Power up an let it POST.

Shorts and hardware conflicts can stop a POST. This method helps identify issues before they start. Then as you assemble it. Check it every once in awhile

If you fully assemble the thing including hard drives then its very tough to tell what is causing it to not POST. I had a hard drive hot swap bay stop a POST one time. But because I checked it right after I plugged it in it was an easy fix

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
It's possible that the new Piledriver CPU requires a BIOS update before it will work, FX 970/990 chipset is 2 years old. Try to check the installed version, and see if it's the latest one.

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
It's possible that the new Piledriver CPU requires a BIOS update before it will work, FX 970/990 chipset is 2 years old. Try to check the installed version, and see if it's the latest one.

more than likely

lolzerbomb

remove everything except one stick of RAM and unplug everything else except the power button and speaker if it has one.

If it beeps about the video card add it back in.
If it still fails unplug even the memory and use a jumper to try and power up just the board.
If that fails do you have another CPU to try/also remove the motherboard and power it up out of the case and see what that does.
I will try these things later after i wake up and let you know my results.

Test ech memory stick on its own and try different slots,also did you remember to plug in the CPU 8pin power connector?
i did remember to plug in the ATX12v1 8 pin power cable right next to where the cpu is placed if that's what you're referring too?

When assembling PCs there are certain things you do to help limit having to track down problems before they happen.

Do a POST test out side of the case. With only the minimal things plunged in. CPU, one stick ram, monitor and keyboard and that's it if it has on board video. Power up an let it POST.

Shorts and hardware conflicts can stop a POST. This method helps identify issues before they start. Then as you assemble it. Check it every once in awhile

If you fully assemble the thing including hard drives then its very tough to tell what is causing it to not POST. I had a hard drive hot swap bay stop a POST one time. But because I checked it right after I plugged it in it was an easy fix
if it doesn't have on board video? :x
Define POST? i'm not familiar with that term..
i will try this method as well tomorrow after i wake.
How would i go about checking the latest version with no video feed?
also when updating bios i just need the latest version correct? or do i need to go back and get every single update and apply one by one?
Do you think if i was too throw in my old AMD Phenom II 3.10GHz Dual-Core back in there it would work? Rather silly question, guess i should just try and find out.

I just wish it was an easy fix rather than a more difficult one, but i guess i won't find out until tomorrow.
thanks all for the advice / suggestions.

Still open to more feedback!

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like Jetster stated... Try it outside the case.

And, make sure, you are using standoffs, if required.
Also, make sure they are in the proper spots and not causing shorts.

Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
How would i go about checking the latest version with no video feed?
also when updating bios i just need the latest version correct? or do i need to go back and get every single update and apply one by one?
Do you think if i was too throw in my old AMD Phenom II 3.10GHz Dual-Core back in there it would work? Rather silly question, guess i should just try and find out.

You only need the latest BIOS. And yes, try to boot the board with your old Phenom II so you can re-flash the BIOS with the latest. The same situation came up with Ivy bridge CPUs and P67/Z68 boards, I believe.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
I would make sure if it's the PSU or not first before you do anything else. PSU are very sensitive to any level of shock. I've had one break because I didn't put it on my working table gentle enough. One of my friend's psu died because he put his computer in car to move into his new apartment. Just a small pothole did the trick.

I think it wouldn't post if the board doesn't have the correct bios to support the cpu. But then you can't update the bios without a correct cpu. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Can you get into the Bios on startup? if so you can rule out (or in) the Bios compatibility issue that has been raised, you should be able to see on the post screen if it identifies your CPU correctly, if not then you may have to flash a newer Bios, on that startup screen it should also tell you what Bios version is installed.

OK on to next questions, is your board the pro 3 or the Pro 3 Rev 2.0? If it is just the Pro 3 as you have listed you need the P1.20 Bios or later but if you need to do this go for P1.70 as thats the best and most stable one.

if it's not a Bios compatibility issue, and you have tried just a single memory stick in each socket then try putting your graphics card in another PCI-E slot to see if that works.

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
I always try everything and do everything, process of elimination. anything you think that will work try it

e.g different psu, cpu, ram sticks etc, bios, no components connected etc etc

even give it cpr.......

lolzerbomb

Like Jetster stated... Try it outside the case.

And, make sure, you are using standoffs, if required.
Also, make sure they are in the proper spots and not causing shorts.

how am i to tell if they are in the proper slots? I thought it didn't matter o_O

Can you get into the Bios on startup? if so you can rule out (or in) the Bios compatibility issue that has been raised, you should be able to see on the post screen if it identifies your CPU correctly, if not then you may have to flash a newer Bios, on that startup screen it should also tell you what Bios version is installed.

OK on to next questions, is your board the pro 3 or the Pro 3 Rev 2.0? If it is just the Pro 3 as you have listed you need the P1.20 Bios or later but if you need to do this go for P1.70 as thats the best and most stable one.

if it's not a Bios compatibility issue, and you have tried just a single memory stick in each socket then try putting your graphics card in another PCI-E slot to see if that works.

no bios on startup, no boot screen nor anything. fans run, seems like the computer is booting up just no video / mouse / keyboard feed.

just the reg pro3

got some things to try will post back with results before i head out to work.

lolzerbomb

some updates.

So i tried to switch to just one memory stick and try it in each individual slot. nothing.

I tried switching back to my old GFX card gtx460. nothing.
i tried switching pcie slots. nothing.

I tried switching CPUS back to my old phenom II 3.1. and nothing.

everytime i boot it up no POST just all fan running and quietly.
the hdled light up front that blinks or what have you stays red constantly.

this whole time i kept the same mobo in and left unplugged the HD's and disc drives.

am i missing anything? or does the problem seem to be the mobo itself.

Doubtful two video cards and two cpus would both go bad one right after another.

i was also able to short the two pin connector and boot the computer that way, so that rules out the mobo no?

and don't you think if it was the PSU then nothing would turn on and their would be no power to the computer nor any fans? kinda makes sense no?\

did i mention before the only way i can turn off my computer after turning it on is by switching the psu too off. it won't even shut down by holding the power button which is unusual.

could it be my ripjaws 4gb sticks both went bad? would be weird, but then again it's been probably closer to three years since i've changed them.
the only thing i haven't tried changing out is the wiring that runs from the power / reset button to the front header connector, my psu(only because i don't really see that being the problem), my memory(for i don't have any extra sticks).

I can rule out the gfx, cpu, mobo(?)

also my psu was working just fine with my last mobo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

I had this happen before...I think it was a loose wire to the cpu power plug...
I say I think because I ended up using another psu and it worked but then the old psu I had worked just fine on another board after I had unplugged and replugged in the cpu power plug a few times...

I'm sure you have already but I'd try to unplug everything and plug everything back in and either remove the BIOS battery or reset the bios with the jumper

lolzerbomb

I had this happen before...I think it was a loose wire to the cpu power plug...
I say I think because I ended up using another psu and it worked but then the old psu I had worked just fine on another board after I had unplugged and replugged in the cpu power plug a few times...

I'm sure you have already but I'd try to unplug everything and plug everything back in and either remove the BIOS battery or reset the bios with the jumper

i've tried unplugging everything plugging it back in multiple times. nothing
I tried switching back to my old GFX card gtx460. nothing.
i tried switching pcie slots. nothing.
i tried going down to one memory stick and switching it out throughout all 4 slots. nothing.
I tried switching CPUS back to my old phenom II 3.1. and nothing.
i just reset my cmos and put in my speaker on my mobo properly, that made the red light not come on / stay on constantly and nothing else.
i've made sure all my connections are secure, all fans are running

i tried to completely remove the memory to see if the computer would beep at me and it didn't.

been trying to get POST with only the bare necessitous connected which include cpu, cpu fan, one memory stick, psu, video card(since no on board video), keyboard, mouse, and my power chasis.
i don't have connected my hd's nor dd's

running to the store to exchange new mobo i bought last night in thinking that was the problem and getting a new psu i guess and going from there.

Although someone correct me if i'm wrong, but if it was the PSU would it not power anything up? Including fans? or am i wrong?

i really wish my computer would beep at me and tell me what was wrong with it >.>

Last edited:

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
some updates.

i was also able to short the two pin connector and boot the computer that way, so that rules out the mobo no?

did i mention before the only way i can turn off my computer after turning it on is by switching the psu too off. it won't even shut down by holding the power button which is unusual.

Did the PC actually boot up doing this?

If so then the front panel connectors may be on the mobo wrong and/or your power or reset switch may be broken.

lolzerbomb

Did the PC actually boot up doing this?

If so then the front panel connectors may be on the mobo wrong and/or your power or reset switch may be broken.

pc will boot up with the connectors in place, they are set right. i just went and bought a new PSU and plugged it in, immediately after doing so i powered it up and then the fan itself from the NEW psu stopped, power still came. CPU fan did not start as well from new psu.

WTF ):

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
Before you exchange the mobo, why not get a motherboard speaker and listen for the post beep codes?

It sounds like you don't know what your doing and are not patient. Someone suggested you build it out of the box. You may have a grounding issue.

lolzerbomb

Before you exchange the mobo, why not get a motherboard speaker and listen for the post beep codes?

It sounds like you don't know what your doing and are not patient. Someone suggested you build it out of the box. You may have a grounding issue.

I have a mobo speaker and it's not beeping at me, if you've read anything i've posted you'd know that

And I have not had time to build out of box for my busy life schedule is keeping me from doing so, I have about 4 - 6 hours a day to work on it if that. So time is limited and need answers quickly before my refund / replace warranties expire.

Last time I built my PC before upgrading, everything went together fine and it booted up right away. Now not so easy

Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
At this point the only thing left to do is remove the CPU and check carefully for bent or broken pins (use a magnifier if necessary). If all is okay, remove the board from your case, and take 5 minutes to try a bench boot (with the board on a piece of cardboard). If still no go, RMA the board; you've done everything you can, and it has to be a problem with the board.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
I have a mobo speaker and it's not beeping at me, if you've read anything i've posted you'd know that

And I have not had time to build out of box for my busy life schedule is keeping me from doing so, I have about 4 - 6 hours a day to work on it if that. So time is limited and need answers quickly before my refund / replace warranties expire.

Last time I built my PC before upgrading, everything went together fine and it booted up right away. Now not so easy

to tell you the truth. The post is hard to follow. Bring it in to a computer shop. looks like your above your head.

Hi all, I don't know how to make a new thread but wanted to get some advice on my new build. Does anyone know the ettiquete on posting a question?

Thank you!

lolzerbomb

to tell you the truth. The post is hard to follow. Bring it in to a computer shop. looks like your above your head.

Ya I just don't have the time to be messing around with it as much as I want to.

I've already contacted a cheap shop that's gonna help me out for lil to nothing