• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX R7790 Black Edition OC 2 GB

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
XFX has completely revamped the HD 7790 reference design, optimizing it around their requirements. The R7790 Black Edition OC 2 GB comes at the reference design price of $150, yet is overclocked out of the box and provides twice the video memory. But can its extra memory make a difference?

Show full review

Last edited:
Nice that it's offering 2Gb for a $150 price, but it doesn't bring enough to consider this over a 7850 1Gb or even 2Gb that have been $155-170 -AR lately here in the States. The only thing that might make this card special is if when you OC'd it you didn't lose the whole Power Tune dynamic clock "boost" operation. If this could be OC'd to 1200Mhz and still provide the "8 States" and added efficiency.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
over a 7850 1Gb or even 2Gb that have been $155-170 -AR lately here in the States.

Unfortunately HD 7850 1 GB is end of life due to shortage of memory chips. I also suspect it didn't sell that well due to people looking for memory size.

Many VGA prices have gone up, I updated today. Also our pricing doesn't include rebates, but you have a point. An extra 20 or 30 bucks isn't much, it's still 20% on the price.

While 7790 have moved on price, right now Egg has both the HIS model going deal status. First there's the referance 1000MHz/6000MHz Effective for $125 -AR$10, shipping is a nickle...

The "Turbo version" Core 1075MHz, 6400MHz Effective is $135 -AR$10 w/FS.
Either will include Free Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon & Bioshock w/purchase.

Last Friday was the last day for 10% ($16) off Code, for Sapphire's 7790 OC 1GB DDR5 (100356OCL) and a $10 rebate got it down to $134 w/FS plus Reload Bundle.
:toast:

I sure like to see once in awhile a real world/practical data for this $130-170 segment, opposed to idealized/laboratory set-ups running i7 @ 4.6 GHz and settings at 4XAA that don't supply playable FpS 2 1920x anyway (FarCry3). For actual buyers at this level of hardware today hardly is considered mainstream, such outcomes seem to mask the actual experience/potential those buying such a card.

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
While I certainly see why that information (playable settings) would be useful to you, there are many sites that will give you that information.

I only speak up because I truly hope W1z doesn't change his graphs...EVER. One could say 1080p may be more useful than 1920x1200, for instance, but you could just as easily do the math (results*1.11).

The list of cards, static results on a control, and percent performance numbers are invaluable when looking at the them from a raw, scientific point of view. This makes it helpful to not only know where cards should be priced to be a value, but identify architectural bottlenecks and potential product gaps (performance, power use that is obviously dictated by pci-e spec, markets based on what is needed to avg playable frames in a popular game etc). They are a one-of-a-kind resource.

For instance, we all expect Hainan to launch at some point. People like me would say Bonaire was reviewed the third week in March and launched beginning of April, Malta is getting reviewed the third week in April, there is a share holders meeting on May 16 (end of second week in May), Computex in the first week of June...

So obviously it's launching in Q4.

I digress.

While you can assume it will perform better than 7870XT/660ti, these greatly help you put expectations in check as well as anticipate realistic pricing for such products, as well as where competing products may land as typically pricing does level out to be in-line with performance relative to each companies' stack...even if we ignore where AMD tried to force pricing 660ti/670 with TahitiLE/7950 pricing.

In short...please don't go pushing for W1z to change his tests. Nuts like me love them for theorizing and planning things out (like potential Haswell upgrades in June etc), and they're the defacto source for people to prove a point when comparing cards or helping others make a choice.

As for Bonaire, I think the purpose of this chip is clear (gk106 will never touch it's potential price because of die size, even salvaged, while maintaining a useful advantage over other options because of performance and efficiency). I still think it needs a config with more memory bandwidth though. Most people are not going to achieve almost 7760mhz overclocks with 6000mhz ram...although if they could 7790 would be perfect as-is at it's inevitable similarly-cheap-to-650ti-but-always-cheaper-than-ti-boost price (almost certainly a theme that will continue going forward; better than equal-priced nvidia part, cheaper than part with more overall potential even if similar at stock). But hey...there's a whole lotta time til 20nm...who knows. I just want what's happening here to happen in the market that's twice the spec and twice the price but smaller than Steven Tyler's...record of blues.

At least we shouldn't have to wait too long.

W1z doesn't change his graphs...EVER... scientific point of view
Exactly and Nope not advocating that at all... But more a snap shot of what entry folk could more logically expect. Say an i3 or a most generic i5, 8Gb of regular ram and regular HHD, Win7 box. Then pit just few cards GTX650Ti/7790/GTX650TiBoost/78501Gb, at just 1920x. More of a way to show entry gaming is not going to be completely bowled-over by such next-gen consoles. You and I like getting our "data fix", but I'm thinking of how to draw in more newcomers before they’re sucked-up by consoles at Christmas. Show that with a little money they can get a descent experience. Most aren't looking for cutting edge AA settings, they just need to realize they can play such new titles on the house machine the family bought for homework. We need to cease the idea that PC gaming is dying, you got a better idea to bring more into the fold and TPU readership?