• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple STILL think they're immune!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
I see it as, whats the point in taking sides, once you start doing that, the marketers have got you, its all good really, ive had a few mbpros and an imac, and im going to buy another one soon for a course im doing next year, that uses macs for graphic design. Big deal, i like there stuff, there are things about osx and apple hardware that sh*#it me, same as win too.
At the end of the day, whatever makes you happy, stuff that left right paradigm of siding with one company, its a wank.
Shame they are overpriced is the main thing i dont like, otherwise, they are good machines , tho not without issues too, as for lion, im not liking the idea of that much, seems like with every new iteration of the os, more control/options are taken away from the consumer,
and its happening with win 8 too i bet, forcing people to use cloud storage solutions like with new itunes and all that, i dont want the "cloud" for my personal items like music/movies/docs, they are just fine on MY HARDDRIVE.
technology is wonderful, but when it intrudes into our PERSONAL lives[especially when there is no "option"], its WRONG AND RUDE!:banghead::banghead:;):cry::mad::twitch::pimp:

IlluminAce

System Name Ace2
Processor Intel i7 2600
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
Cooling Zalman CNPS10x Extreme
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4)
Video Card(s) Asus HD 6970 DirectCUII
Storage 4x Samsung 1TB 7.2krpm
Display(s) 1x 24" 16:10, 1x 20" 16:10, 3x 19" 5:4
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) TBD
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Debian dom0 (on Xen hypervisor)
This is an ancient topic of discussion, but in summary, there aren't that many in the wild Mac "viruses", since it's crafted from a BSD base. The nature of software installation practices in the *nix world versus the MS world plays a large part here. As for the natively superior security of *nix systems, MS is doing relatively well of late trying to catch up. Still, I wouldn't like to be the administrator for a large Windows network!

Antivirus applications on *nix systems mainly scan for Windows viruses and are intended to clean mail passing through the system on the way to Windows hosts. For *nix systems, there are rootkit scanners and suchlike, but these are mainly useful for unpatched, outdated systems. As ever, the most important thing isn't a £50 Kaspersky subscription - it's both understanding what you're doing when online/using external media, and ensuring all your web-facing services (those exposed on open ports) are up-to-date and configured correctly (with unnecessary services disabled and their ports closed). Additional factors could include solid network perimeter security, "tripwire" style systems, honeypots - the list goes on.

I certainly wouldn't advise *nix users to install "AV", and whilst I don't use Macs, I would struggle to see the need to advise proficient users to install "AV" there either. Basic security practices are much more important.

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
Great post IlluminAce, though there a lot of users who have difficulties taking basic security measurements. Even proper file management is asked too much for them (I have seen some users who put everything on the desktop, lol).

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This is an ancient topic of discussion, but in summary, there aren't that many in the wild Mac "viruses", since it's crafted from a BSD base. The nature of software installation practices in the *nix world versus the MS world plays a large part here. As for the natively superior security of *nix systems, MS is doing relatively well of late trying to catch up. Still, I wouldn't like to be the administrator for a large Windows network!

Antivirus applications on *nix systems mainly scan for Windows viruses and are intended to clean mail passing through the system on the way to Windows hosts. For *nix systems, there are rootkit scanners and suchlike, but these are mainly useful for unpatched, outdated systems. As ever, the most important thing isn't a £50 Kaspersky subscription - it's both understanding what you're doing when online/using external media, and ensuring all your web-facing services (those exposed on open ports) are up-to-date and configured correctly (with unnecessary services disabled and their ports closed). Additional factors could include solid network perimeter security, "tripwire" style systems, honeypots - the list goes on.

I certainly wouldn't advise *nix users to install "AV", and whilst I don't use Macs, I would struggle to see the need to advise proficient users to install "AV" there either. Basic security practices are much more important.
Where the hell have you been! :eek: Good post. :cool:

Talking of large corporate networks, even with that large "attack surface" that Windows has, infections are still few and far between - I'm thinking of our own corporate network here. This is even true although patches have to be tested by the IT team before being deployed on all the machines via a patch manager, which can delay a patch by a whole month. We run security software on every single PC and the core Active Directory servers, which is effective at picking up malware.

Of course, the moron behind the keyboard (and believe me a lot of them are :rolleyes: ) is the most important factor. However, we are able to mitigate their stupidity with a slew of security measures, including having a rather draconian central proxy server sitting between hapless user and the internet.

I would disagree that Macs don't have to run security software. This is because as Windows ceases to be such a soft target and Macs become more popular, they become the softer target and the attacks are becoming more frequent and sophisticated. Here's a simple example of how even us knowledgeable enthusiast types can be nailed without security software: you browse to a known reputable web site. It's just been hacked with nasty drive-by malware that exploits your browser and OS's unpatched zero-day vulnerabilites and bam, your PC is silently infected - and you won't even know about it. Yes, the window of opportunity for the criminals is hopefully short, but with billions of users out there, there will be many who will get nailed before the exploit is closed, especially the clueless users. However, if that PC, Mac or Linux box were running security software, you stand a better chance of it picking up the attack, hopefully with its heuristic scanning ability if it doesn't have a signature for the attack yet.

Look, I have a very good free security package here for you to try, called QubitFixer. It's like the famous WinFixer, only better... ;) :laugh:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
seems the biggest threat to pc anymore is malware/spyware that hijacks webbrowsers- compared to viral activity

IlluminAce

System Name Ace2
Processor Intel i7 2600
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
Cooling Zalman CNPS10x Extreme
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4)
Video Card(s) Asus HD 6970 DirectCUII
Storage 4x Samsung 1TB 7.2krpm
Display(s) 1x 24" 16:10, 1x 20" 16:10, 3x 19" 5:4
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) TBD
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Debian dom0 (on Xen hypervisor)
Thanks Chevalr1c; you're quite right of course. For most people, 99% security will never be a realistic prospect to aim for - in many cases a 60-80% confidence range seems like a more appropriate target! (And this is not to "put down" those to whom this may apply; I guess some people have better things to do than stare at monitors or heatsinks all day... quite what escapes me though :twitch:).

I'm still here Q :cool: I know I haven't been around (anywhere) much lately. Work has been exceeding busy, and the little remaining time has been occupied by an unmissable combo: tweaking Ace1's ZFS pools, and solemnly mourning the sudden death of Ace2's 2600. I'm accepting donations for funeral ceremony.

... but back to topic. Absolutely, it's surprising how often important patches are delayed, regardless of the threat posed. It's the whole practicality vs security issue again... 100% security = a useless (well, non-existant) system. 0% security = a superbly useful system. The "right" balance is often hard to find.

Drive-by attacks, XSS, and suchlike... sure, the threats exist. But most reputable sites should be ensuring that such vulnerabilities are few and far between. More and more automated tools exist these days to detect such opportunities. Experienced users will be running their browsers in sandboxes/VMs anyway (you don't honestly think your browser is secure do you?). But back to the real world, utility vs security... what level of FS scanning and heureustics has the average user actually got enabled for 0day detection? The defaults are often pretty pathetic, otherwise these sub-par systems slow to a crawl under the strain of scanning every file access in intimite detail. And who wants to pay for software that kills their system?

I mean I agree, less adept users will typically benefit many times over from having security software installed on Windows boxes. I honestly don't think the same applies to Macs quite yet. Getting worms to run on a BSD base, and actually spread over the sparse density of Macs on the Internet (by the way, is the Mac population actually expanding...?) is no mean feat. There are few examples which have proved to be real successes, in contrast to their Windows brethren.

On the other hand, to protect yourself against hand-crafted individual attacks from highly determined attackers... you have to be seriously prepared, sonny jim! :nutkick: Like our trustworthy resident security consultant says, install QubitFixer... guaranteed security for the one-off price of £100. Be sure to disable your AV, anti-malware and firewall tools first though, since this software is so powerful it may conflict!

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
I have always seen Macs to be a "strange" PC, same hardware (Intel, ATI etc.) but with another OS instead of Windows.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD

or my favourite

EDIT: WHOA Holy Thread Revival Batman!!!!

Last edited:
System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Hey, thats FacePhone in Picard's palm...

nono he's just using FaceTime the wrong way ...

well true fact : (by easy i mean : Apple direct all as they want it to be, so the user is more assisted than if he got a concurent counterpart)

Mac: Easy pc with premium price (Aka i have the same hardware but cost 1k $$$ more at minimum)

iMac: oh look a AIO well doesnt take place but it does take you an arm and leg to get the "decent one" to have any use of it beside spreadsheet and text edit.

Mac Pro: oh my god ... dont start on that one ... :AMD 5770 or 5870??? for 3k $$$ ? really?

MacBook : repeat the sentence of the Mac above. (switching pc with "laptop")

MacBook Air: ... you know the story.

i/Phone/Pad/Pod/Insertrandom : Easy version of any concurent counterpart.

Wrong fact :

Mac doesnt get Virus, wrong just the "virus" use a unexpected part of the Mac to install and spread : The Chair keyboard interface Aka: the Organical part of the computer (since people think they are safer on a Mac, they tend to be more fooled easly.) this also work for pc (i never had any sort of problem with Windows, neither with macOS)

so basically : Apple product are for those who think security as a "material price" and require a "Jail OS" to be safe.

Indeed they are good product, stable easy to use once you get it, but they cost way too much. (look at iPhone producing cost versus selling price and compare with the Nexus 4 for exemple (yes yes i know nex4 299 only in the google store and not enough supply ... its more 499$ in physical shops but still))

also : Sapphire Mac Edition HD7950 3gb : 440$(no boost bios ofc :rolleyes: )
Sapphire HD7950 3gb 280$

i used both (for work or hobbies) i prefere pc over mac but i tend to think Apple product are too expensive for what they are ... lucky for them they have fanboy who believe only Apple is good and buy day one any product they do

System Name Chaos
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Strix B550
Cooling 6x 140mm + 360 mm Strix AIO
Memory 32Gb Corsair ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil
Storage ADATA SX8200 + kingston savage 240 gb ssd x2 + 1tb toshiba 7200
Display(s) AOC 32 inch Freesync monitor
Case Game Max Silent Black
Audio Device(s) HD Onboard
Power Supply Corsair CP-9020094-UK RM1000x 1000 W 80 Plus Gold Certified
Mouse corsair harpoon gaming mouse
Keyboard BlackWeb wired gaming keyboard
Software Windows 11 x64
System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
omfg!! i see the jokes on the brits because one of us missed the good ol' humour!!

and that jolly good, pip carry on! was lame!! cmon!

ya all guna get it soon haha :slap: :laugh:

and to stay on point, i didnt even know mac still existed. thought they spiritualised and become one with the universe lol

oh yea all the 'i' shit, i phone home, i pad, i broke, i what.....who gives a ****

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
oh yea all the 'i' shit, i phone home, i pad, i broke, i what.....who gives a ****

Just reminded me of the film Hook Where hook is trying to teach peters kids and then does the speech trying to convince them there parents don't love them. "I I I, Me, Me, ME, Now Now, Now, Want, Want, Want"

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Apple has been awesome brand. I really appreciate your words but apple apps are now part of our lifestyle

This thread was created in August 2011. Please don't dig up threads which are so old, they've long out-lived their purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.