• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a Dolby Digital Live Card

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Looking to pick up a DDL card sometime soon, need one with a Optical Out, and thats about the only limitation. I'm going to be using this solely for it's DDL to send out to my Astro Mixamp, so the cheaper the card the better. The cheapest I can seem to find that support DDL with an Optical out is about $60 - $70, found some with Coaxial outs around $30 that do DDL, but sadly I need that Optical out.

Only real preference is a PCI-E 1x card, but thats simply because it would keep the interior of my case cleaner, normal PCI cards will be just fine. So hopefully someone out there might know of a bit cheaper DDL card than I can find.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
I dont understand the difference between DD and DDL but most motherboard with Realtek audio do DD and DDL

"Dolby Digital Live is available in sound cards using various manufacturers' audio chipsets. The SoundStorm, used for the Xbox game console and certain nForce2 motherboards, used an early form of this technology. DDL is available on motherboards with codecs such as Realtek's ALC882D,[13] ALC888DD and ALC888H. Other examples include some C-Media PCI sound cards and Creative Labs' X-Fi sound cards whose drivers have enabled support for DDL."

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
DD is availible on most mobo's, DDL is not though, back in 2005 or so it was more common on mobo's, but the licencing fees were too high and the trends wasn't continued. My mobo does have DD, but not DDL (even using drivers that unlock all the goodies).

Basically from my understanding DDL is just meant to transmit data to external devices that do the decoding. So it only sends out a 2 channel audio stream, but it is encoding so that once it is received it can be decoded into 5.1 and 7.1 audio. And if you are using a soundcard for DDL since it is basically just turned to a pass through device that only encodes, thats why the quality of the soundcard doesn't matter, since the soundcards not actually doing any of the other work.

So basically my Astro Mixamp will be the decoder and whatever DDL card I get will be my encoder. I haven't ever really looked into soundcards much, but thats my basic understanding of it, if I am wrong someone please correct me :p

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
DD is availible on most mobo's, DDL is not though, back in 2005 or so it was more common on mobo's, but the licencing fees were too high and the trends wasn't continued. My mobo does have DD, but not DDL (even using drivers that unlock all the goodies).

Basically from my understanding DDL is just meant to transmit data to external devices that do the decoding. So it only sends out a 2 channel audio stream, but it is encoding so that once it is received it can be decoded into 5.1 and 7.1 audio. And if you are using a soundcard for DDL since it is basically just turned to a pass through device that only encodes, thats why the quality of the soundcard doesn't matter, since the soundcards not actually doing any of the other work.

So basically my Astro Mixamp will be the decoder and whatever DDL card I get will be my encoder. I haven't ever really looked into soundcards much, but thats my basic understanding of it, if I am wrong someone please correct me :p

this is matrix decoding ANY sound-card can do this I do this with my htpc using LAV-filters its nothing new and nothing special and has nothing really todo with Dolby
most sound cards have a Option to enable Matrix decoding if they don't you can use the LAV-codecs todo it

http://cl.ly/OuHO/Image 2013-05-12 at 11.31.19 PM.png
http://f.cl.ly/items/1T0F0Q0E0q0S2k421K3l/Image 2013-05-12 at 11.32.41 PM.png
https://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
As far as my understanding goes, this mixamp only takes DDL, and looking through the images you show, many options are available to mimic, but I do not see DDL. So I'm not sure that will help me much. But like I said, my knowledge on this subject is very limited. (googling dolby digital matrix decoding comes up with basically 0 good results, and not looking to experiment and risk losing money on something that doesn't work :p)

Also another constraint here, even if I did use matrix decoding (if it would work for me), that sounds like the quality of the soundcard might actually come into play then, rather than it just being a pass through device.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
As far as my understanding goes, this mixamp only takes DDL, and looking through the images you show, many options are available to mimic, but I do not see DDL. So I'm not sure that will help me much. But like I said, my knowledge on this subject is very limited. (googling dolby digital matrix decoding comes up with basically 0 good results, and not looking to experiment and risk losing money on something that doesn't work :p)

Also another constraint here, even if I did use matrix decoding (if it would work for me), that sounds like the quality of the soundcard might actually come into play then, rather than it just being a pass through device.

that mixamp will process pro logic and prologic II
http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/MixAmp_manual.pdf

dolby digital is a UPMIX matrix `encode` nothing more it takes a stereo feed and upmixes it to 5.1(there is no such thing as a 5.1 `signa'[unless your audio source is 5.1 meaning individual tracks for each channel ) related note this isn't 1997 anymore there virtually no quality to be gain or lost by using onboard sound vrs a soundcard those days are long since gone (creative cards use Realtek or VIA made CHIPS now adays all that XFI bullshit is all software(driver level) processing

((quote from wiki Dolby Digital Live is available in sound cards using various manufacturers' audio chipsets. The SoundStorm, used for the Xbox game console and certain nForce2 motherboards, used an early form of this technology. DDL is available on motherboards with codecs such as Realtek's ALC882D,[13] ALC888DD and ALC888H. Other examples include some C-Media PCI sound cards and Creative Labs' X-Fi sound cards whose drivers have enabled support for DDL.))
see this thread:http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183809
^giving this drivers a go might enable that option provided your audio chip supports the proper functions to route the signal

upmixing or downmixing a 2.0,2.1 or 5.1 7.1 feed involves taking a audio signal applying some-band filters and some clever math and processing and then splitting the chucks up into channels and the LFE(frankly this is why Dolby headphone sounds like garbage you can't cram all that data into two tiny drivers )

it is entirely a software based operation there is no l33t or "special" hardware hacks involved that cheap `mixamp` that you payed way to much for

probably has a lower quality DAC then the one in my car dash sadly (I know I am sounding like a dick but I hate it when people get suckered into buying shit because they don't understand what its really all about work perhaps we could back up and you could explain exactly what you want todo)
anyway that rant aside.
you can use the LAV filter(even tho your onboard audio driver should offer it) to setup Prologic OR Dobly digital and then output it over S/PDIF or optical and it should work fine and get a 5.1 or 7.1 signal to the AMP according to the tech papers on that device

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
DDL (dolby digital live) is real time encoding of dolby digital. meaning it takes your 5.1 analogue game and makes it dolby digital on the fly, vs it needing to be 'pre recorded' in dolby in the first place (which pretty much doesnt happen, ever)

avoid using any kind of upmixing, if you do whats the point in 5.1? positional audio is what matters the most, not just splitting the signal to add more speakers into the mix for no reason.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
DDL (dolby digital live) is real time encoding of dolby digital. meaning it takes your 5.1 analogue game and makes it dolby digital on the fly, vs it needing to be 'pre recorded' in dolby in the first place (which pretty much doesn't happen, ever)

avoid using any kind of upmixing, if you do whats the point in 5.1? positional audio is what matters the most, not just splitting the signal to add more speakers into the mix for no reason.
not sure what mussels is saying but ill reiterate
its not encoding anything its a UPMIX nothing more
it takes a Stereo Stream Apply's some Clever processing and filtering to separate the sound into individual channels +LFE and then outputs the `processed` stream as a `dolby digital` 625KBit/s `digital` data stream witch is then piped to a amp or mixer converting a ANALOG signal to DIGITAL is nothing special and it provides no quality gain

now if you are working with a TRUE 5.1 channel track to begin with then you don't need todo any up-converting OR converting it to 'digtial' unless you are running cable >20 foot and have at least a 2000.00USD pair of speakers
if you output a 5.1 or a 7.1 over RCA or mini or SPIDiF using Matrix mode no quality is lost and the channel mapping is preserved that's how people did there 5.1 setups for YEARS

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
not sure what mussels is saying but ill reiterate
its not encoding anything its a UPMIX nothing more
it takes a Stereo Stream Apply's some Clever processing and filtering to separate the sound into individual channels +LFE and then outputs the `processed` stream as a `dolby digital` 625KBit/s `digital` data stream witch is then piped to a amp or mixer converting a ANALOG signal to DIGITAL is nothing special and it provides no quality gain

now if you are working with a TRUE 5.1 channel track to begin with then you don't need todo any up-converting OR converting it to 'digtial' unless you are running cable >20 foot and have at least a 2000.00USD pair of speakers
if you output a 5.1 or a 7.1 over RCA or mini or SPIDiF using Matrix mode no quality is lost and the channel mapping is preserved that's how people did there 5.1 setups for YEARS

Mussels is correct. What DDL actually does is take 5.1 sound generated on your CPU and turns it into discrete 5.1 DD on the fly. It only does this for games and only when you've set the OS for 5.1 speakers. It doesn't do anything special with stereo or pre-recorded 5.1 soundtracks on DVD or Blu-ray.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Mussels is correct. What DDL actually does is take 5.1 sound generated on your CPU and turns it into discrete 5.1 DD on the fly. It only does this for games and only when you've set the OS for 5.1 speakers. It doesn't do anything special with stereo or pre-recorded 5.1 soundtracks on DVD or Blu-ray.

Dolby Digital Live (DDL) is a real-time encoding technology for interactive media such as video games. It converts any audio signals on a PC or game console into a 5.1-channel 16-bit/48 kHz Dolby Digital format at 640 kbit/s and transports it via a single S/PDIF cable.[12] A similar technology known as DTS Connect is available from competitor DTS. An important benefit of this technology is that it enables the use of digital* meaning that it can output a Channel independent stream witch if your source is not already 5.1 it will upconvert it or dematrix it and and pipe it as a discreate channel

Note the part where it says *ANY* Audio SIGNAL
its a upmix upmixing is bad mmkay

... I said that the only time you would actually need digital audio out is that if you are running really long cables to some serious speakers and amps(no your ~200 dollar best buy amp/reciver combo doesn't count here)
sigh

further more I can not think of a single game that actually uses 5.1 tracks all of them are either Premixed or matrix encoded /w the '5.1 flag'
lets assume that the source is analog 5.1 stream and your receiver is "Digital with pro-logic IIx support " and for whatever reason you wanna run a Optical or RCA out to your AMP

the codecs and or sound card can be configured two different ways
Case ONE using optical: you could simply pipe the digital stream right out the Optical (assuming the your source is 5.1 or higher)

Case TWO using RCA or some other analog out: you enable matrix output and the audio driver sees that your source is already 5.1 and no mixing or processing is needed so it 'encodes' the audio-signal WITH a series of low power pulses and frequency's and that tells the amp what channels to map and how along with the audio data (think dial up modem) there is a SLIGHT loss of information here but not enough to be audible unless you have superman's ears and a serious set of speakers Positional-audio will suffer a bit if its not executed properly

Case Three: the audio source is not Multi Channel so what you can do is break the audio up into parts do some processing and figure-out whats voice whats music whats gunfire use a LOT of math and understanding of how the human ear processes sound(so you can get the Positional audio ""close"") and then create a Multi channel stream and output it using one of the above methods

Last edited:
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
It may or may not be an "upmix". Many modern game engines, especially those for FPSes, support the creation of discrete 5.1 sound in the CPU. In those cases, DDL turns that into discrete 5.1 DD on the fly. If the game engine only supports stereo, then it is an upmix.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
It may or may not be an "upmix". Many modern game engines, especially those for FPSes, support the creation of discrete 5.1 sound in the CPU. In those cases, DDL turns that into discrete 5.1 DD on the fly. If the game engine only supports stereo, then it is an upmix.

I know none of the call of duty games do this (not on consoles at least)

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Dolby live is terrible anyway. not sure why you'd want it. "bit-matched" playback for best quality.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
that mixamp will process pro logic and prologic II
http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/MixAmp_manual.pdf

The mixamp decode into those formats, it doesn't accept them as a format.

dolby digital is a UPMIX matrix `encode` nothing more it takes a stereo feed and upmixes it to 5.1(there is no such thing as a 5.1 `signal'[unless your audio source is 5.1 meaning individual tracks for each channel)

The game I want this the most for is BF3, and as far as I am aware, that does do true 5.1, so doing a stereo upmix will be absolute crap by comparison as far as directional cue's, so doesn't seem like it's a great idea for me to do this.

see this thread:http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183809
^giving this drivers a go might enable that option provided your audio chip supports the proper functions to route the signal

Already running those, but my Optical Out seems dead on the mobo anyways. Also issues which I pointed out above)

it is entirely a software based operation there is no l33t or "special" hardware hacks involved that cheap `mixamp` that you payed way to much for

What "too much" is, is entirely your opinion. Don't think I didn't pick this specific setup for a reason. I record for my youtube channel with dxtory and run 3 audio tracks (game, mic, skype), that way my friends on skype aren't mixed into my game audio, and if them or I have any background noise I can remove it in Audacity without effecting my game audio). I plan on streaming soon (running a 2nd PC with a capture card), and want to maintain my YT quality (recording with main comp), while also having good stream quality. And any stream program only can record one audio track.

So basically sound needs to be downmixed. And this mixamp has a Streamout port that downmixes all audio passed through it down into one channel. So I downmix all the audio out the stream port, attach it to my mic port, and set it to "listen" on my HDMI line (and I have the volume off on my monitor), thus giving my stream all the audio downmixed, while still allowing me to capture 3 audio tracks for my YT uploads. Now I could have also tried to run Virtual Audio Cable for this (though I don't like the program much), but I also wanted to have surround sound capabilities as well (VAC only does stereo), and thats where the mixamp comes in, it does everything I need. Also at the time of getting it I needed a headset with a better mic, and all the headsets I was interested in were $160 - $200 (A40 headset alone was $160), the mixamp solo is $130, so it made sense to just buy the whole A40 setup and save myself a lot of money. Asking what my intent was before carrying the condescending tone would go a long ways.

All of your solutions seem to point to me getting a different headset, and as I said, this fits my needs exactly, I'm not going to be switching this. This Mixamp need a DDL signal, and as far as I know BF3 does do true 5.1, so upmixing isn't something I'm even remotely interested in. So as my thread originally asked, just looking to see if anyone else has seen a DDL soundcard for ab it cheaper than I have found them for.

I know none of the call of duty games do this (not on consoles at least)

Who said anything about Call of Duty, or consoles for that matter, the though of each of those brought a little puke to my mouth and you had to mention them both at once.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Dolby Digital Live (DDL) is a real-time encoding technology for interactive media such as video games. It converts any audio signals on a PC or game console into a 5.1-channel 16-bit/48 kHz Dolby Digital format at 640 kbit/s and transports it via a single S/PDIF cable.[12] A similar technology known as DTS Connect is available from competitor DTS. An important benefit of this technology is that it enables the use of digital* meaning that it can output a Channel independent stream witch if your source is not already 5.1 it will upconvert it or dematrix it and and pipe it as a discreate channel

Note the part where it says *ANY* Audio SIGNAL
its a upmix upmixing is bad mmkay

... I said that the only time you would actually need digital audio out is that if you are running really long cables to some serious speakers and amps(no your ~200 dollar best buy amp/reciver combo doesn't count here)
sigh

further more I can not think of a single game that actually uses 5.1 tracks all of them are either Premixed or matrix encoded /w the '5.1 flag'
lets assume that the source is analog 5.1 stream and your receiver is "Digital with pro-logic IIx support " and for whatever reason you wanna run a Optical or RCA out to your AMP

the codecs and or sound card can be configured two different ways
Case ONE using optical: you could simply pipe the digital stream right out the Optical (assuming the your source is 5.1 or higher)

Case TWO using RCA or some other analog out: you enable matrix output and the audio driver sees that your source is already 5.1 and no mixing or processing is needed so it 'encodes' the audio-signal WITH a series of low power pulses and frequency's and that tells the amp what channels to map and how along with the audio data (think dial up modem) there is a SLIGHT loss of information here but not enough to be audible unless you have superman's ears and a serious set of speakers Positional-audio will suffer a bit if its not executed properly

Case Three: the audio source is not Multi Channel so what you can do is break the audio up into parts do some processing and figure-out whats voice whats music whats gunfire use a LOT of math and understanding of how the human ear processes sound(so you can get the Positional audio ""close"") and then create a Multi channel stream and output it using one of the above methods

Dolby Digital Live only upmixes if the source is stereo or mono. In the event it detects more than stereo it doesn't upmix it again it just encodes the existing channels into DD 5.1 bit streams.

Pretty much all modern games are multi channel PCM so there will be enough channels for a straight 5.0 to DD 5.1 bitstream conversion (opposed to PCM 2.0 to DD 2.0 conversion with Prologic IIx layer to 5.1 on top)

1Kurgan1:

I don't know much about the Astro Mixamp, sorry. Does it have a built in decoder? because a decoder is needed. Also IMO Dolby Digital 5.1 on headphones defeats the purpose. I'm sure it will sound nice but it's hardly authentic is it?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
A good choice for audio card here would be an ASUS XONAR D2X. It offers real-time encoding into a multitude of formats, including DolbyDigital, Dolby Live!, ProLogicII, and DTS, as well as straight-up LPCM.

When it comes to recording and encoding capabilities, I do not know of any card that matches what the ASUS XONAR D2X does.

Dolby Digital Live: Converts PC or game audio content into Dolby Digital in real-time
Dolby Headphone: Creates a surround sound listening experience when using any set of headphones
Dolby Virtual Speaker: Delivers a vibrant surround sound listening experience from stereo speakers
Dolby Pro Logic® IIx: C reates up to 7.1-channel surround sounds from stereo or 5.1 sources
DTS Connect: Includes DTS Interactive and DTS NEO:pC
DTS Interactive for real time AC-3 encoding and
DTS NEO: PC stereo to multi-channel expander

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_D2X/

Going by that list above, it's exactly what you are looking for, 1Kurgan1. ;)

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
1Kurgan1:
I don't know much about the Astro Mixamp, sorry. Does it have a built in decoder? because a decoder is needed. Also IMO Dolby Digital 5.1 on headphones defeats the purpose. I'm sure it will sound nice but it's hardly authentic is it?

Yeah, the Mixamp is the decoder, hence the need for a soundcard with DDL. And it might not be perfect, but it's going to be better than flat out stereo, and thats fine by me. Like I said in my wall of test explaining why I chose it, recording for YT or Streaming with anymore than 2 channels is pretty much impossible, this seems to be the best method giving a decent price range and the sound quality from this headset + mic quality is what I was looking for.

A good choice for audio card here would be an ASUS XONAR D2X. It offers real-time encoding into a multitude of formats, including DolbyDigital, Dolby Live!, ProLogicII, and DTS, as well as straight-up LPCM.

When it comes to recording and encoding capabilities, I do not know of any card that matches what the ASUS XONAR D2X does.

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_D2X/

Going by that list above, it's exactly what you are looking for, 1Kurgan1. ;)

Yeah, I was looking at that, it is sexy. Sadly thats the Cadillac of soundcards, and quite expensive. Seems for what I need, since DDL just makes a card a pass through, the rest of those features aren't needed, if I was running it for anything besides DDL, it would probably be the clear choice. What I was leaning towards so far was this (based on price)

Cheapest I have found that has DDL is this (but it lacks optical out which I need, so was hoping someone might know of a card around this price with optical, but thats looking slim)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
since people arent getting it:

DDL exists for one reason. over coax or optical SPDIF you cant get more than stereo without it. so if thats what your receiver supports, thats what you need. the end.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Yeah, I was looking at that, it is sexy. Sadly thats the Cadillac of soundcards, and quite expensive. Seems for what I need, since DDL just makes a card a pass through, the rest of those features aren't needed, if I was running it for anything besides DDL, it would probably be the clear choice. What I was leaning towards so far was this (based on price)

Cheapest I have found that has DDL is this (but it lacks optical out which I need, so was hoping someone might know of a card around this price with optical, but thats looking slim)

I wouldn't touch the DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71. It's a really old soundcard from 2006? I doubt it still has driver support. Their website only lists it with Windows 2000/XP support. https://www.diamondmm.com/xs71ddl-diamond-xtreme-sound-sound-card.html

Look at the Xonar DS, it doesn't support DDL, but it supports the DTS equivalent DTS:connect. The soundcard is probably the cheapest branded encoder soundcard on the market @ $39.99. Does the Astro Mixamp support DTS?

ASUS Xonar DS Audio Card - Newegg.com

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
I wouldn't touch the DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71. It's a really old soundcard from 2006? I doubt it still has driver support. Their website only lists it with Windows 2000/XP support. https://www.diamondmm.com/xs71ddl-diamond-xtreme-sound-sound-card.html

Look at the Xonar DS, it doesn't support DDL, but it supports the DTS equivalent DTS:connect. The soundcard is probably the cheapest branded encoder soundcard on the market @ $39.99. Does the Astro Mixamp support DTS?

I don't think it really matters on the age, except the driver support part you mentioned. But I can't use that card anyways, since no optical outs. And everything I am seeing, including from Astro says that DTS will not work, so seems like that Sound Blaster is probably my cheapest choice with an Optical Out.

Processor Core i5 4690K @ 3.5 GHz \\ C2Q Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 SLI \\ Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer \\ Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB \\ Corsair XMS2 2x 2 GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 Gaming v1.1 (Hynix) \\ Sapphire HD 6850
Storage Kingston SV200, 3 TB Seagate 7200.14 \\ 2x 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Case Corsair Carbide 200R Windowed \\ CM 690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 \\ Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Adata HM850 \\ Corsair HX520
Mouse Logitech G602, SteelSeries Sensei Raw Frostblue, Corsair M65
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 \\ Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Well, the Diamond XtremeSound XS71 (CMI8768+) does support up to Windows 7 with the latest driver that can be downloaded via the same page for the card under the "Support & Download" tab (the non DDL version even has Windows 8 beta driver). Auzentech used the same CMI8768+ chipset for their X-Mystique (the same chipset on the Diamond XtremeSound X71).

The cheapest solution would be the X-fi mod that OneMoar has posted several days ago which can modified certain Realtek onboard sound into a "X-fi soundcard" via modified drivers and the socalled X-fi MB2 software. X-fi MB2 supports DTS connect, the equivalent of Dolby Digital Live (well, kinda). On the other hand, my Norton Internet Security detected a part in the modified driver as a security threat (false positive:confused:?), so try it at your own risk.

Edit:

Sorry, didn't notice that OneMoar already mentioned the XFI mod in an earlier post.

Last edited:
System Name My baby
IBut I can't use that card anyways, since no optical outs. .

The Xonar DS has optical out, it comes with a small adaptor (as does most Xonar cards, Auzentech and Creative cards) which allows you to switch between digital coaxial and fibre optic.

But if your headphones dont support DTS so we can't go down that route.

If what TC-Man is saying is correct about the DIAMOND XtremeSound having Vista/Windows7/8 drivers it seems like a good choice. The Auentech X-Mystique was a good soundcard back in the day so if the Diamond uses the same chipset I would jump on it. I had it's big brother, the Auzentech Meridian and regret selling it.

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Edit:

Sorry, didn't notice that OneMoar already mentioned the XFI mod in an earlier post.

Yeah I already been running those drivers for a while now. But sadly I think my Optical Out is dead on my mobo anyways. Also don't think DTS will work, they may have similarities, but everything I'm seeing says that doesn't mean compatibility.

The Xonar DS has optical out, it comes with a small adaptor (as does most Xonar cards, Auzentech and Creative cards) which allows you to switch between digital coaxial and fibre optic.

http://www.missingremote.com/legacy/img/stories/Auzentech_XMeridian/x-meridian_02-08tn.jpg

If what TC-Man is saying is correct about the DIAMOND XtremeSound having Vista/Windows7/8 drivers it seems like a good choice. The Auentech X-Mystique was a good soundcard back in the day so if the Diamond uses the same chipset I would jump on it. I had it's big brother, the Auzentech Meridian and regret selling it.

I will have to look more into this tonight. If I could run the coaxial to optical adapters, then I most likely will pick up the Diamond.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

http://www.missingremote.com/legacy/img/stories/Auzentech_XMeridian/x-meridian_02-08tn.jpg

i own an X-mystique actually, just not using it cause my crossfire blocks the slot.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Ended up hitting ebay in search of DIAMOND with actual optical outs on it. And found a few, one of which was only $19.99 with free shipping. So I snapped it up, since thats about 1/3 the cost of any other option I got on the market. Tacked on faster shipping for $5 after that, still not a bad deal as long as it works :p

Picture just for reference

I'll have to post back once I get it, hoping it works well, drivers are recent for it, despite it being so old :p