• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice on selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barlowLAD

System Name Gaming System
Processor i5 3570k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16GB Corsair vengeance 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX680 Direct CUII TOP 1270/6700
Storage Samsung 830 series 128GB + Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Display(s) Asus VE27Q
Case CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair TX650 Modular
Software Windows 8 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4592755
Hi all,

Looking to sell my rig, financial reasons. my question is what is the best pre sale procedure before selling my pc. Aside from general cleaning, what is the best way to wipe my data completely and safely, but equally what is the best way I can send the buyer a "ready to play" rig?

Thanks in advance.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
What do you mean by best way.

TPU has a sale section to the forum. Post the rig with specs and ask the members for advise on price, then list it in another thread. read the selling rules, one of them is you must have a Heat account

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
What do you mean by best way.

TPU has a sale section to the forum. Post the rig with specs and ask the members for advise on price, then list it in another thread. read the selling rules, one of them is you must have a Heat account

This has nothing to do with what he asked.

PRE SALE PROCEDURES

If you're selling the whole thing, then I usually recommend seperating each part, as sending a whole PC can get risky and expensive.
Selling it in pieces to different buyers is easiest, I find. Drop in a Windows CD or use a boot CD like GParted and wipe the hard drives etc with a format.
Cleaning is always a good thing.
To send the rig as a whole, you can fill it with a bin liner filled with that plastic foam cheetos stuff, but as i said before, i recommend taking things out to avoid damage whilst being delivered.

Generally remove VAT from what you paid for all the parts, and do a guestimate on price depreciation, people wont want to play close to new prices for something used. It's risky business.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Post the rig with specs and ask the members for advise on price

No, doesn't fit within the B/S/T guidelines.

Want to wipe data? Format the drives, install windows.

To create a thread in the "FS" section: Take a picture of the item you are selling with your member name handwritten within the picture. Post a link to your heatware account.

Do some research on the parts that make up the rig and price accordingly. Not much else than that really.

System Name Main Workstation
Processor Ryzen 1700 @ 3800 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1800 Classified
Storage Crucial MX200 500 GB
Case BC1 Open Benchtable Silver
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD 650 /w Apogee Groove and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860W
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Leopold FC980C White /w Hasu controller
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Make sure you take really sharp pictures. Try using a tripod if you have one. I would use Parted Magic to wipe the drives before allocating them in Windows. Reinstall Windows and all the latest drivers. I would also take all the parts, like cooler, graphics card, sound card, etc., out. Use the original packaging if you have it. Keep the CPU installed if you don't have the socket cover the MB came with anymore. Include receipts if you have them.

Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
This has nothing to do with what he asked.

PRE SALE PROCEDURES

If you're selling the whole thing, then I usually recommend seperating each part, as sending a whole PC can get risky and expensive.
Selling it in pieces to different buyers is easiest, I find. Drop in a Windows CD or use a boot CD like GParted and wipe the hard drives etc with a format.
Cleaning is always a good thing.
To send the rig as a whole, you can fill it with a bin liner filled with that plastic foam cheetos stuff, but as i said before, i recommend taking things out to avoid damage whilst being delivered.

Generally remove VAT from what you paid for all the parts, and do a guestimate on price depreciation, people wont want to play close to new prices for something used. It's risky business.

Yes it does. Have no idea what you don't understand as to what he asked....

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming X 8G
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB + Samsung 870 EVO 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG24C
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-550
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K60
If you want to be sure that nobody will ever recover what was on your HDD (if you're paranoid or have some secrets to hide), use DBAN or CCleaner "Drive Wiper", but if you really have a lot of confidential secrets that are government or army related, you should burn the drive. (Just my 2 cents Lol)

That said, to make it ready to play, format it and install drivers.

Edit: Added CCleaner Drive Wiper.

Last edited:

welly31

Yes it does. Have no idea what you don't understand as to what he asked....

I dont know if english is your second language or what. He asked whats the best way to clean a PC but also have it buyer ready for selling it. He said nothing about how to sell it on Techpowerup. For all we know he already has a buyer and he jsut wants to know how to get the PC ready for selling to the buyer. Nowhere did he ask what the TPU procedure is for selling.

I dont know if english is your second language or what. He asked whats the best way to clean a PC but also have it buyer ready for selling it. He said nothing about how to sell it on Techpowerup. For all we know he already has a buyer and he jsut wants to know how to get the PC ready for selling to the buyer. Nowhere did he ask what the TPU procedure is for selling.

Title of thread reads: ADVISE ON SELLING. Nowhere does he mention on "CLEAN" a PC......:slap:

The advise I gave him was a pre-sale procedure so he can determine the worth........

Hi all,

Looking to sell my rig, financial reasons. my question is what is the best pre sale procedure before selling my pc. Aside from general cleaning, what is the best way to wipe my data completely and safely, but equally what is the best way I can send the buyer a "ready to play" rig?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you follow your own advise. Nuf said.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
@OP Run DBAN on the hard drive, use the PRNG Stream method.

This will safely remove all the data from the hard drive and make it completely unrecoverable.

Then do a fresh install of Windows on the hard drive, assuming you are selling a copy of Windows with the computer.

Remember, if you aren't providing a valid license with the computer with a COA sticker you can't sell the computer with Windows installed.

If you aren't providing a COA with the computer you will have to leave the hard drive blank.

Whatever you do don't just format the drive, that does not destroy your data.

If you just format your drive it is very easy for someone to get the data back.

Title of thread reads: ADVISE ON SELLING. Nowhere does he mention on "CLEAN" a PC......:slap:

The advise I gave him was a pre-sale procedure so he can determine the worth........

I suggest you follow your own advise. Nuf said.

He clearly is asking what is the best way to clean the data off his PC. Did you completely miss:

Aside from general cleaning, what is the best way to wipe my data completely and safely, but equally what is the best way I can send the buyer a "ready to play" rig?

?

It is obvious that he is asking how to prepare the computer, not how to list it on the forums.

He specifically asks about cleaning the PC, and no where does he mention determining the worth of the computer.

You response has nothing to do with his question.

Do you even read the original posts, or just read the title and make wild guesses at responses based on the title alone?

Are you dense?

Is it possible for you not to post completely idiotic responses and not fight with people when they correct you?

So happy Cartman is here. The thread is weeks old and OP is MIA plus has not responded..... LOL

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
So happy Cartman is here. The thread is weeks old and OP is MIA plus has not responded..... LOL

It being weeks old didn't seem to stop you from responding to it, why should it stop me?

Typical deathx with his its ok for me to do it but I'll try to make anyone else that does it look dumb attitude.

And learn how to read a calendar, May 23 to May 27 is 4 days, not even a week and definitely not "weeks".

More incorrect babbling and arguing about it by drdeathx.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Guys let's stick to helping the OP! Thanks :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.