• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Switch?

Hi. I believe I need a "non green" 8 port switch for my situation and I hope you can help. I say I need a non green switch because of a distance issue I will elaborate on. Here's the situation...

I have a detached garage which I've made into my man cave and in it I have a Onkyo network AV receiver, a wireless bluray player, a smart TV, a Home Theater PC, and a Roku at the moment. The PC and Onkyo access the internet just fine via a TP-Link 150 Mbps wireless USB adapter. Problems with net access occur with the bluray player and smart TV. Those two devices couldn't get any access at all until I turned a old Linksys router into a wireless repeater bridge with DD-WRT. While that has allowed those 2 devices to get access I still have issues with them. Signal strength shows up very strong, but I guess being that they are going through the repeater bridge the speed is cut in half and I still have a problem. So I was thinking of running a Cat6 cable from the Linksys N router that's in the house out to a switch in the garage. Then I would hook up all 5 of my devices to the switch. This should allow me to get a solid connection for all of those devices correct? What worries me is that all of the unmanaged switches I'm looking at are the new "green" switches and I read reports of them having issues with long runs of Cat cable. I don't know if this will be an issue in my situation or not. I did some measuring and I believe I need about 150 feet (possibly a little more) of Cat 6 from my house router to a switch in the garage. To be safe should I go with a non green switch provided they are still available? Can you point me to one because I can't seem to find one. :) This is a new venture for me so I could use all the help I can get. As far as the cable goes I've read that direct burial Cat6 cable should be fine, but others say to also run conduit. What are your thoughts? I would greatly appreciate some ideas on this whole situation. Thank you very much!

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
From my knowledge CAT6 cable doesnt lose signal strength until after 93meters of cable.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
"For 10/100/1000 BASE-T the Maximum Length allowed 100 meters (330 ft) of a Cat 6 cable."

I have ran longer distances than what you are asking and had good results so pretty much any decent gig switch would be fine.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

brandonwh64

Rcoon has the right opinion here. I have used that same netgear in a manufacturing environment and it works wonders. One thing that makes it worth it is the metal casing.

System Name Sierra ~ Server
Processor Core i5-11600K ~ Core i3-12100
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC ~ MSI PRO B760M-P
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition ~ Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600 ~ 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT ~ EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD ~ 2TB Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD + 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz ~ N/A
Case Asus Prime AP201 - Open Frame Chassis
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W ~ Thermaltake Smart 500W
Software Windows 11 Pro ~ Proxmox VE
Benchmark Scores Laptops: Dell Latitude E7270, Dell Latitude 14 Rugged 5420.
And I'll agree with the above - I'm running a Netgear GS108 myself and have deployed about a dozen probably in offices and homes without an issue :)

I was leaning towards the Netgear... I just wish it had the ports on the rear and the lights on the front. I just hate to see cables wrapped around to the front and "stressed" some. That's what's holding me back from jumping on it.

brandonwh64

I was leaning towards the Netgear... I just wish it had the ports on the rear and the lights on the front. I just hate to see cables wrapped around to the front and "stressed" some. That's what's holding me back from jumping on it.

Technically it is made to be wall mounted and the cables ran in trays and you may benefit from this in your man area

Technically it is made to be wall mounted and the cables ran in trays and you may benefit from this in your man area

Brandon, do you have a picture of what you are describing to me? I'm sorry, I just can't picture it. Thanks!

What the?! I now have someone saying the switches I have picked out won't do what I want. I thought a switch is what I needed to have all of the devices I have listed above have a internet connection?

brandonwh64

What the?! I now have someone saying the switches I have picked out won't do what I want. I thought a switch is what I needed to have all of the devices I have listed above have a internet connection?

What kind of experiences does the "person" have with networking in general?

I should say I read a review on the TRENDnet switch I was looking at. Here's the review...

Pros: This is a switch.... Not a router. It will not service DHCP requests nor will it route IP traffic.

Cons: None as long as you know what you're buying. This is an excellent switch. This will not serve as a router on your network.

Other Thoughts: For everyone complaining about this device not sharing internet with multiple devices, you need to understand the difference between a switch and a router. You have to have a router if you want to have more than one device connecting to your internet connection. This device will only switch datagrams otherwise known as frames and they contain absolutely no IP header information whatsoever. You don't have to use a TRENDnet router to resolve the problem and you don't have to pay for their tech support, however you do need a router. Period. Google Router vs. Switch and educate yourself on the difference. Routers operate at layer 3 of the OSI Model and Switches operate at layer 2.

Before anyone questions my post, I'm a Sr. Network Engineer with years of experience in this field. I am a subject matter expert.

brandonwh64

He is overthinking the product. Yes he is right, it is a switch and you still need your router in the LAN for the DHCP server and firewall/EXC but if you only need 150FT of distance between the router and this switch, you will be perfectly fine.

I can do a short layout in paint if you need it.

*EDIT*

Found one I made for another person here on TPU and this is similar to what you need.

Last edited: