• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor

FX-9590: Eight "Piledriver" cores, 5 GHz Max Turbo
FX-9370: Eight "Piledriver" cores, 4.7 GHz Max Turbo

max turbo...

MAX... it is NOT going to be ALL cores, MAX turbo works when its a single thread load !!!!

my god, amazing no one knows this already... :shadedshu :slap:

But it will overclock to 5Ghz so easy. ^^

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Short circuits generate massive amounts of heat. Stuff tends to melt when there is a short circuit...

Yeah, but only if the wire the short circuit is running through cant handle the current. The real world examples you connect with do no necessarily apply to everything.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Edit: just think of a short circuit: no all energy is used(transformed in heat), but there is still a lot more energy running through than without a short circuit

...yes, electricity flows through it but it doesn't do any work except for the work done by heating the wire. AC doesn't work that way. Remember that current changes directions and un-used electrons that went from hot to neutral go in reverse back from neutral to hot. So any electricity that leaves the circuit and isn't converted into energy will get returned to the PSU, and if you consider electron drift you will see that very slowly, despite electrons moving in both directions, that the overall flow of current is going into the device and not leaving it as electricity, but as heat.

Yeah, but only if the wire the short circuit is running through cant handle the current. The real world examples you connect with do no necessarily apply to everything.

Wattage is work done which describes that transfer of energy from one form to another. You're thinking of current which is the flow of electrons, not work done.

Also consider Ohm's law. I = V / R

Unless you have a super conductor, there is always resistance, which means work is done and since electrons can flow freely, you'll heat up that wire really fast off the mains. Either that or you will fry whatever is generating that electricity (or trip a fuse.)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
max turbo...

MAX... it is NOT going to be ALL cores, MAX turbo works when its a single thread load !!!!

my god, amazing no one knows this already... :shadedshu :slap:

Which works out very well since applications that work better with high frequencies tend to be single threaded, and applications that don't need high frequencies tend to use multiple cores.

I'm surprised no one knows this already...:shadedshu :slap:

No, heat will still be produced regardless of the wire used.

System Name Salamander
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.325ghz 1.206v
Motherboard Asrock X370 Taichi
Cooling EK Supremacy Evo | Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS XFlow | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro 120mm x 3
Memory Team T-Force Xtreem 2x8GB DDR4 3733 @ 3733mhz c16 1.4v | IF @ 1866mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX-470 RS Single Fan flashed to RX-570 @ stock water-cooled
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 256gb M.2 | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | WD Blue 500GB 2.5" | Toshiba 2TB 2.5"
Display(s) LG 27MP68VQ 27" 1920x1080 75hz IPS Freesync monitor
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 650w
Mouse Steelseries Kana White
Keyboard Steelseries 6GV2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro N
It would be interesting to know how AMD will price these chips and how far the FX9590 can be pushed further maybe 5.5 on a good AIO cooler? ( I wish :D )

Reactions: Kei
System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758

...yes, electricity flows through it but it doesn't do any work except for the work done by heating the wire. AC doesn't work that way. Remember that current changes directions and un-used electrons that went from hot to neutral go in reverse back from neutral to hot. So any electricity that leaves the circuit and isn't converted into energy will get returned to the PSU, and if you consider electron drift you will see that very slowly, despite electrons moving in both directions, that the overall flow of current is going into the device and not leaving it as electricity, but as heat.

Wattage is work done which describes that transfer of energy from one form to another. You're thinking of current which is the flow of electrons, not work done.

I teach this stuff up to grade 12. It fairly easy, but confusing to visualize. Go with the water example I added to my edited post above.

Wattage is power is work done over time. Mathragh is visualising it wrong.

Also the CPU takes DC current, which is quite different (and less complicated) than AC.
But, you are right that he is thinking of current. Where current in = current out (always)
Energy in =/= Energy out. But, you don;t look at the energy coming out of a system to determine the amount of energy used by that system.

You need to look at the voltage drop across the component to determine how much energy has been used (Voltage is joules per coulomb)

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Energy in =/= Energy out and is quite different.

This is what I meant, thanks. I do know current stays exactly the same, but apparently I'm not always as clear as I think I am when I'm explaining what I'm thinking.
Lol, sorry for all the pants I got in a twist people :toast:.

Anyway, back on topic, and restating my former question:

Does this chip involve some new mojo(trinity->richland mojo?(sort of)) or,

Just an aggressive binning of vishera?

I personally think it's just binning, but that would mean that they could potentially also implement the new turbo to current lower-end vishera chips.

Edit:
You need to look at the voltage drop across the component to determine how much energy has been used (Voltage is joules per coulomb)

Thanks again, this was the point I was trying to make, but apparently didn't have the words for. When current leaves the chip, its not at 0V, but its also not useable anymore, so its effectively wasted energy. Ofc all appliances work like this, but in this case, it is the difference between the power consumption, and heat generated(someone again correct me if i'm wrong:)) :toast:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
When current leaves the chip, its not at 0V, but its also not useable anymore, so its effectively wasted energy.

Well, that depends. You have your voltage going in and you have the current flowing towards ground. Ground is 0v, yes, but if the CPU is the only resistive load between the voltage source and the ground, then the voltage between the ground and the CPU is 0v. If there is voltage between ground the CPU, that means there is a second resistive load between the CPU and ground which uses a portion of that voltage, which would result in less voltage for the CPU. That would indicate something other than CPU is doing work (like the VRMs, they get release heat too,) but even then, that's before the voltage going into the CPU. The loss is inside the VRM itself and that makes the CPU the second load.

So I disagree. I think the CPU is the only major resistive load there and that after the CPU, the voltage is very much so 0v. The current may be several amps though, varying with load.

I'm done talking about circuits though, we digress way too much for our own good. Hopefully this chip will be able to squeeze more than stock speeds out of it with something other than phase change. :p

Software Windows 10 x64
Not exactly.

Power consumption = Heat generated. It's by definition. Basically, if power is used then energy has changed forms.

The potential drop across a component will only be different from the potential difference across the terminals of the supply if you have other elements in series.

Voltage is measured in Joules per Coulmb. It is the amount to energy stored in the electrons' electric fields due to their proximity.

Think about having rubber balls (electrons) all squashed together at one side and rubber balls far apart next to them, but separated by a 1-way barrier.

When you create a path for the rubber balls to flow (creating a circuit) the balls are going to push away from each other at the one end, go down the path (the cpu) be slowed down and push into the rubber balls at the other end which are further apart.

When they are pushed into those balls at the other end, with some extra help, they are going to push those rubber balls through the barrier in to the rest of the squashed rubber balls.

The rubber balls themselves are not used up, they don't disappear or go anywhere, they just lose energy as they travel down the path.

I believe the potential difference across a CPU is controlled very tightly by the NB. If you increase the voltage (potential difference) across the CPU, it starts using more energy and overheats.

The CPU will have a power rating at a certain number of volts. Increasing the voltage will cause the power used to go up as you are causing the CPU to use more voltage.

The rate at which electrons can carry energy out of the CPU is limited and would be very very minimal. But again, that energy they carry is "re-used."

To get into details would be too involved, and I have to admit, I don't understand it 100% as it's been a long time since studying it at Uni.

Edit - I found a water analogy illustration:

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
When current leaves the chip, its not at 0V, but its also not useable anymore, so its effectively wasted energy.

Current is in Amperes not Volts. Additionally you are using the term energy too loosely. Energy in terms of circuits is in Joules. A Joule can be called a W*s (Watt * second). A watt is a unit of power and you're using that term in the same sentence as current as if current and energy are interchangeable terms...

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
The CPU will have a power rating at a certain number of volts. Increasing the voltage will cause the power used to go up as you are causing the CPU to use more voltage.

I want to work off this phrase to make it more clear.

The CPU will consume so much power with a certain number of volts some some load that is consistent. Increasing the voltage will cause the power used to go up because more voltage allows more current to flow with the same amount of resistance in the circuit. Heat is generated by the flow of electrons (current) through a resistive medium. The heat energy released is directly proportional to the resistance multiplied by the square of the current. So as current increases and resistance remains the same, for any increase in current will cause heat to increase exponentially.

The only reason voltage impacts the amount energy being released as heat is because, generally speaking, resistance isn't changing a whole lot under a constant unchanging load and higher voltages make it easier for electrons to flow through a medium. The only other way to increase current without increasing voltage is to reduce the amount of resistance and the best way to do this is to make the CPU very, very cold (hence LN2 and phase change).

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Does this chip involve some new mojo(trinity->richland mojo?(sort of)) or,

Just an aggressive binning of vishera?

I personally think it's just binning, but that would mean that they could potentially also implement the new turbo to current lower-end vishera chips.

My thought is that this may be a little of both- agressive binning is the most likely source but I would not be surprised if there are some elements of Steamroller baked into these chips.

AMD went with a more modular design since Bulldozer so it may be possible that certain design elements that are ready to go from Steamroller have been added into the chip.... it may be as simple as a cut and paste on the chip layout prior to making the wafer.

or not :p

Anyone see any reason into the numbering scheme for these? :confused:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
you guys need a life, a girlfriend, something...

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
i think the 220W was for the other extreme chip.

plus 220W is the max TDP,. no matter how hard you overclock it wont go past 220W!

Software Windows 10 x64
i think the 220W was for the other extreme chip.

plus 220W is the max TDP,. no matter how hard you overclock it wont go past 220W!

Not true.

"The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, refers to the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate. The TDP is typically not the most power the chip could ever draw, such as by a power virus, but rather the maximum power that it would draw when running "real applications". This ensures the computer will be able to handle essentially all applications without exceeding its thermal envelope, or requiring a cooling system for the maximum theoretical power (which would cost more but in favor of extra headroom for processing power)" - Wikipedia

bacan

System Name Super Diesel
Processor AMD FX-8320@4.6GHz 1.48V
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Corsair H70 /Pushmepully :)
Memory 4X4GB Kingston Predator HyperX DDR3@1912CAS9
Video Card(s) 2X Asus GTX660 DCII SLI
Storage intel (X25-V/40GB + i510/250GB) + Seagate 2TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync 2470WVX
Case Silverstone Raven 2 RV02
Audio Device(s) ALC889
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Software Win7 SP1 64bit
System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
you guys need a life, a girlfriend, something...

But getting a girlfriend would mean spending a lot of money on her [both directly and indirectly]. Meanwhile, that money could be spent on much more important things - like these kind of chips, for example.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt

These are binned chips and don't use as many volts as 8350's at 5GHz. I would assume around 1.5 volts which any board can handle.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
This is disappointing. I had thought that AMD learned the lessons of Bulldozer (more GHz and more cores don't matter if single-thread performance sucks), but this raises some doubts. Up until now I was sure this was a rumor, or perhaps a pre-Rory Read holdover that had been nixed.

Firstly, AMD couldn't give a rats ass if you liked Bulldozer, it made them money.

Actually, more GHz does increase single threaded performance otherwise us enthusiasts wouldn't bother overclocking.

If AMD have the technology to release a 5GHz CPU on air, then why not? Surely going down in the record books as the first is a big achievement. Think of all the positive press they'll get which translates into free marketing and increased brand awareness and sales.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I would assume around 1.5 volts which any board can handle.

My 8350 already does 5 GHz @ 1.5V. I expect better than that. Seems pretty simple for AMD to do this, to me. They could have been binning for this 5 GHz chip since they started making Vishera, a long long time ago, in a distant land, with fairies.:)

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Not true.

"The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, refers to the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate. The TDP is typically not the most power the chip could ever draw, such as by a power virus, but rather the maximum power that it would draw when running "real applications". This ensures the computer will be able to handle essentially all applications without exceeding its thermal envelope, or requiring a cooling system for the maximum theoretical power (which would cost more but in favor of extra headroom for processing power)" - Wikipedia

exactly what i said. its the max power draw.
however i have heard that intel does things a bit differently. they take the RMS or something :confused:

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Software Windows 10 x64
exactly what i said. its the max power draw.
however i have heard that intel does things a bit differently. they take the RMS or something :confused:

You said the opposite. 220 W is the standard application maximum power draw. It other situations, it will easily exceed that. It can easily exceed that number. I think that it is given so that companies will know what they should set as a minimum for their heatsink design.

RMS is for AC where you have a wave-like potential difference. But, yes, they calculate it differently from AMD and Nvidia.