• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BSoDS on newly built PC

den

Hi!, 3 days ago I built my very first PC, using this build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15tmJ) it was all running great but then yesterday I started encountering multiple BSODs that says Memory_Mangement(this is the most common one), IRQL_Not_less_or_EQUAL(only appeared once) and Page fault in non paged area(only appeared once.) What I did was I reformatted my HDD and while installing the OS, during the "windows is expanding" part to be exact I keep on encountering a problem stating that the files are corrupt or missing. Then I did some research and I found out that Removing one of the RAM sticks would do the trick and it actually did. Right after the installation of OS, I put the second stick back on and it started having BSODs to the point that I can only use my pc for like 5 mins at the most before the BSOD occur. So I removed one of the sticks again and to my surprise it aint having BSOD and as of now its been running for about an hour or so without any problem. I am sorry if this is a stupid question but which one do you guys think is the problem, my mobo's RAM slot or the actual RAM card? pls help me. any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Processor Intel® Core i5 6600
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 G1 4GB Gaming
Storage 256GB Intel SSD 525 Series
Display(s) 24" LG LED Monitor
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Seasonic MK12II 620W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi!, 3 days ago I built my very first PC, using this build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15tmJ) it was all running great but then yesterday I started encountering multiple BSODs that says Memory_Mangement(this is the most common one), IRQL_Not_less_or_EQUAL(only appeared once) and Page fault in non paged area(only appeared once.) What I did was I reformatted my HDD and while installing the OS, during the "windows is expanding" part to be exact I keep on encountering a problem stating that the files are corrupt or missing. Then I did some research and I found out that Removing one of the RAM sticks would do the trick and it actually did. Right after the installation of OS, I put the second stick back on and it started having BSODs to the point that I can only use my pc for like 5 mins at the most before the BSOD occur. So I removed one of the sticks again and to my surprise it aint having BSOD and as of now its been running for about an hour or so without any problem. I am sorry if this is a stupid question but which one do you guys think is the problem, my mobo's RAM slot or the actual RAM card? pls help me. any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

run memtest (http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm) that will tell you whether the RAM module itself is dud or not. let it do a couple of passes and see what happens.

J :toast:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
well, den, my first suspicion is the RAM. Normally, I'd tell you to try other slots, but you only have two. Try this first. Try the 2nd stick in the first slot alone. If you have trouble, then I would definitely be thinking RAM. If it works, then it could be the 2nd RAM slot. Ideally, I would try some different memory in there, or try your memory out on another compatible motherboard as well to be doubly sure.

den

THnks for the quick response! should I ran Memtest while 2 of my RAMs are connected or should I only do it on one stick? thank you!

D

Deleted member 24505

You can try one stick at a time, I'd say, you will find out if one of the sticks is bad.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64

den

well, den, my first suspicion is the RAM. Normally, I'd tell you to try other slots, but you only have two. Try this first. Try the 2nd stick in the first slot alone. If you have trouble, then I would definitely be thinking RAM. If it works, then it could be the 2nd RAM slot. Ideally, I would try some different memory in there, or try your memory out on another compatible motherboard as well to be doubly sure.

Tried one of each ram sticks in both slots and i dont have any problem. problem is only present if i boot my computer with both sticks plugged in. also, I am not sure if this is the same as memtest86 but I have downloaded this http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ and tested both for 2 hours and there were no errors.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
Tried one of each ram sticks in both slots and i dont have any problem. problem is only present if i boot my computer with both sticks plugged in. also, I am not sure if this is the same as memtest86 but I have downloaded this http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ and tested both for 2 hours and there were no errors.

Firstly how were you able to run this test for 2 hours each when you only posted this an hour ago?
and secondly it will may require longer than 2 hours for it to error..I have had memtest take hours to error on a module.

den

Firstly how were you able to run this test for 2 hours each when you only posted this an hour ago?
and secondly it will may require longer than 2 hours for it to error..I have had memtest take hours to error on a module.

I am truly sorry I thought I have included the memtest in my first post. I have tried it yesterday I am really really sorry.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
I am truly sorry I thought I have included the memtest in my first post. I have tried it yesterday I am really really sorry.

possibly just let it run for longer.Perhaps leave it on when you go to bed then check it when you wake up?Give it a good chance to go through each sector. Other than that blue screen can also mean driver issues.. so that could be the problem

Hope we have helped =)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Tried one of each ram sticks in both slots and i dont have any problem. problem is only present if i boot my computer with both sticks plugged in.

If you have run then each alone in each slot, and it works, but only BSOD with both installed, then it may likely not be the memory or the RAM slots.

I know you used pcpartpicker, but is the memory on the vendor's approved list? I've not used them before so I don't know if they research that for you.

Have you the most recent BIOS?

Do you have the correct chipset driver for the motherboard?

IF all of that is ok, I'm leaning toward the memory controller being bad, slim though the possibility is.

Good luck, and let us know how it progresses!

Last edited:

den

If you have run then each alone in each slot, and it works, but only BSOD with both installed, then it may likely not be the memory or the RAM slots.

I know you used pcpartpicker, but is the memory on the vendor's approved list? I've not used them before so I don't know if they research that for you.

Have you the most recent BIOS?

Do you have the correct chipset driver for the motherboard?

IF all of that is ok, I'm leaning toward the memory controller being bad, slim though the possibility is.

Since it is my first time, i did not know that there is a vendors approved list. and it is not. is that the reason for my BSODS?

den

possibly just let it run for longer.Perhaps leave it on when you go to bed then check it when you wake up?Give it a good chance to go through each sector. Other than that blue screen can also mean driver issues.. so that could be the problem

Hope we have helped =)

Ok sir I will do that tonight thank you for the help! I hope its just the RAM

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Since it is my first time, i did not know that there is a vendors approved list. and it is not.

Not to worry! If it passes MemTest, and still doesn't work with both RAM combined, do you still have time to exchange them for a set on the approved list?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter

den

Yes I do! That's it exactly. You're not dumb, just gaining experience and showing courage to try something new. :rockout:

So its really just the motherboard and ram being incompatible? if so im going to buy one of the rams in the list and how can i know if they are going to be stable? or if its in there its 100 percent stable? again, thank you so mcuh

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
So its really just the motherboard and ram being incompatible?

Well, we can't say at this point. Try running MemTest for awhile like jgunning advised. you want to rule out as much as you can. If...IF it looks like just incompatibility (which is very common), make sure you buy a matched pair, not one of each.

As for 100% stable, that's never guaranteed, but it is very, very likely to be just fine. Sadly motherboard vendors rarely update their supported memory lists, so new memory can come out later that can be perfectly compatible, which makes things more confusing down the road. It's a lot of trial and error and forum reading really.

Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
So its really just the motherboard and ram being incompatible? if so im going to buy one of the rams in the list and how can i know if they are going to be stable? or if its in there its 100 percent stable? again, thank you so mcuh

If you buy one of the specified RAM modules from the vendor list then that specific RAM has been tested by the manufacturer of your motherboard and you can be sure it will be stable =)

den

Well, we can't say at this point. Try running MemTest for awhile like jgunning advised. you want to rule out as much as you can. If...IF it looks like just incompatibility (which is very common), make sure you buy a matched pair, not one of each.

As for 100% stable, that's never guaranteed, but it is very, very likely to be just fine. Sadly motherboard vendors rarely update their supported memory lists, so new memory can come out later that can be perfectly compatible, which makes things more confusing down the road. It's a lot of trial and error and forum reading really.

OK! THANK YOU! I will first run memtest and I will just buy a new compatible RAM thank you so much!

den

If you buy one of the specified RAM modules from the vendor list then that specific RAM has been tested by the manufacturer of your motherboard and you can be sure it will be stable =)

Thank you for the information! I will just buy whatever it is that is on the vendors list

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
You're welcome! I hope we have been some help.

And welcome to TechPowerup forums, the best tech site on the internet!

Reactions: den
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
You're welcome! I hope we have been some help.

And welcome to TechPowerup forums, the best tech site on the internet!

+1 Welcome to TPU. We are all here to help you =)

Reactions: den