• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
With each release of M$ O$ products, the deeper entrenched the NSA and other back door agencies have to poke through your data.

The focus on search vs. folders is a crock. A person who is organized has a better grip on their data vs. playing the search game endlessly.

Using the computer in a workstation environment literally wipes away much of the Windows-8 gains. With a workstation, Windows-7 wins hands down.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Storage Plextor M5 Pro 512GB; WD Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) 2x HP ZR24w
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G403 HERO
Keyboard SteelSeries 7G
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit EN
I'll try to be as unbiased as I can in this.
Microsoft made a crucial mistake in their design philosophy of "everything touch", they lost track of their end user. Touch simply does not work in a traditional desktop environment, where precision and little physical effort are the key to success. Touch lacks precision and generates the "gorilla arm" effect in combination with a touch monitor. The same reason motion gestures will neither work in a traditional desktop environment, but that is another discussion.
I can't find it right now, but there was a presentation of Johnny Lee online when he was still working for MS that touch can never replace KB + mouse, it only shrinks the piece of the pie of KB + mouse.
Their new Modern UI design screams touch. Apple was smart enough to keep iOS and Mac OS separate. Microsoft in their attempt to outdo Apple has taken it a step too far, yes synergy between devices is much appreciated, but that does not imply that the GUI has to be identical to achieve this. Simple user studies would have sufficed to proof that a great smartphone/tablet GUI will not have a great task performance on a desktop by default.
As various people mentioned the Start screen is a reduction of user effectiveness and multi-task performance.
The counterargument of work-arounds is actually not a counterargument at all, it only strengthens the base argument. The fact one needs a work-around for simple basic functionality (which was standard in the previous OS version) simply proofs that Microsoft went in the wrong direction with their GUI design.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I rarely go to the start screen in Windows 8, and rarely used the start menu in Windows 7, so it does not make whole lot of difference to me personally.

I pre-ordered a Leap Motion Controller and it should be shipping pretty soon. It basically mimics a touch screen without having to reach out to the screen.

I'll let you guys know how it works with Windows 8 after I play with it for while when I receive it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
not to be mean newtekie1 but mine didn't i can still see it through the blue squares here lookie:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51706&stc=1&d=1372585614

i tried with an old version i had from ninite and ClassicShellSetup_3_6_7.exe i downloaded yesterday or 2days ago...

That's why, I stuck with the default round start button ClassicShell uses, you switched to the Metro style. Yeah, when I switch to the Metro style button I can still see the real button too. Hopefully this is fixed in the next version of ClassicShell.

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
TechPowerUp calling out them cavemen and dinosaurs. :rockout:

D

Deleted member 24505

I rarely go to the start screen in Windows 8, and rarely used the start menu in Windows 7, so it does not make whole lot of difference to me personally.

I pre-ordered a Leap Motion Controller and it should be shipping pretty soon. It basically mimics a touch screen without having to reach out to the screen.

I'll let you guys know how it works with Windows 8 after I play with it for while when I receive it.

Just googled it, it looks interesting, and is £70 from Amazon uk.

System Name The_ PC
Processor Intel i5 4670k
Motherboard ASUS Z87I-PRO M-ITX
Cooling CoolerMaster Seidon 120M
Memory 8gb Corsair low profile 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 770
Storage Kingston Hyper X 3K 120GB SSD
Display(s) HKC 22" 1080p
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software Win 7 Pro 64bit
WOW you people are fighting over what OS is better? I mean really this is happening right now. Issuing a challenge at the faster OS win7 or win8? Just makes no sense at all. Like comparing an orange to an orange!

So when you go to the supermarket you will grab just any orange yeah? Don't worry about that massive bruise on the side or that one with a big tear in its peel. Fuck it, pick that one that looks like three kids have been playing football with it. Or do you carefully select the oranges that look and feel good....

D

Deleted member 67555

I'm done with my preview of Win 8.1 because I killed it...LOL
I installed Net.Framework 3.5 SP1 and a few other standalone Microsoft programs that I find to be essential for a Microsoft based HTPC....

It still works in Desktop mode and I can do mostly everything I could do on Win 7 but with a screen that's flashing which is unacceptable....Metro is completely disabled and programs based on Flash player including some Youtube videos are a no go..No Divx based videos will work either...

I'll be honest...I was enabling features that Microsoft makes you pay for with Win 8 Pro Pack but I wasn't using Microsofts programs...which imo shouldn't be an issue...but it is a preview so~

Shutting down to go back to 7....preview was fun but I guess I'll have to wait for Win 9 before I switch.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
So when you go to the supermarket you will grab just any orange yeah? Don't worry about that massive bruise on the side or that one with a big tear in its peel. Fuck it, pick that one that looks like three kids have been playing football with it. Or do you carefully select the oranges that look and feel good....

Way to take my analogy to nth degree. It is the same coin just a different side is all. Try this one. Just use what you like and really what you are ready for or can afford and in some cases can even run. I would say 8 is great 7 is heaven! :rockout::respect:

Last edited:
System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
I'm done with my preview of Win 8.1 because I killed it...LOL
I installed Net.Framework 3.5 SP1 and a few other standalone Microsoft programs that I find to be essential for a Microsoft based HTPC....

It still works in Desktop mode and I can do mostly everything I could do on Win 7 but with a screen that's flashing which is unacceptable....Metro is completely disabled and programs based on Flash player including some Youtube videos are a no go..No Divx based videos will work either...

I'll be honest...I was enabling features that Microsoft makes you pay for with Win 8 Pro Pack but I wasn't using Microsofts programs...which imo shouldn't be an issue...but it is a preview so~

Shutting down to go back to 7....preview was fun but I guess I'll have to wait for Win 9 before I switch.

.NET 2.0-3.5 are included with Windows 8 but are disabled by default. It should prompt you when you install a .NET program that you need to go to Windows Features and enable it.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
TechPowerUp calling out them cavemen and dinosaurs. :rockout:

Yes windows 7 is for cavemen and dinosaurs.. Think you have a bridge to be under..
:rockout:

This is dumb and makes absolutely no sense.
EXACTLY like windows 8..
I am beginning to see a pattern here.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Yes windows 7 is for cavemen and dinosaurs.. Think you have a bridge to be under..

Don't feed the trolls, :laugh:! They will keep coming back. I too had to seriously fight the urge to comment on his trolling.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

Was this released already? Is it better than Kinect?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I have not received it yet, and I have no idea if it's better than the Kinect as I don't have an Xbox.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes

Yea, I remember you telling me about this awhile back and I'm looking forward to getting mine. :toast: I think it will make my Windows 8 experience a lot better! :toast: I've not ordered it yet main due to I'm waiting for you to tell us if it's good or not. :toast: I really want it to be good. :rockout:

D

Deleted member 24505

Yea, I remember you telling me about this awhile back and I'm looking forward to getting mine. :toast: I think it will make my Windows 8 experience a lot better! :toast: I've not ordered it yet main due to I'm waiting for you to tell us if it's good or not. :toast: I really want it to be good. :rockout:

I looked at the web page, it seems it can apparently detect a single finger motion.

Tempted to pre order one myself, it looks pretty awesome.

:rockout:

Don't feed the trolls, :laugh:! They will keep coming back. I too had to seriously fight the urge to comment on his trolling.

This is what I was talking about with my first comment. This is an editorial article, filed under the news category. That's one huge strike under trolling (presumably for views).

Strike two is that the author titled this article in the most troll baiting fashion possible. The implication being that somehow a minor tweak of windows 8 suddenly makes it superior to 7 in every way, and that we are fools for not rushing out to buy windows 8 immediately.

Strike three is that this reads like an MS PR statement. There is no attempt to address viable complaints. No substantive information is demonstrated to support conclusions. No authorial credibility is established. All of this points to an article with an agenda that doesn't lie in an area unaffected by financial incentive. This may well not be the case, but it is hard for me to conclude otherwise.

Assuming you disregard everything else I said. Assuming that you think I'm attacking this author for some personal vendetta. Assuming that I am a raving lunatic. You need only ask yourself one question. How can I connect the feature path in all MS products? Think about the xbox-xbox 360-xbone (focusing on the initial policies, not the ones edited from the violent consumer backlash), then think about Windows XP-Vista-7-8-8.1, and finally consider what Office is moving towards. None of this trajectory is considered, or even batted under the table.

The conclusion I can draw is that MS wants more control, less respect for consumers, and they know they are shrinking their market. They're trying to stretch into new markets, but haven't learned the difference between crushing the market and merging into it. Despite the blatant failure (yes, 8 is currently a fiscal failure at this point), they aren't asking consumers to tell them what they want. They are still dictating what consumers will get.

If MS wanted us to buy 8.1 they could sit down with a 50 people. The groups they need to see are non-users (no smart phone, minimal computer), mobile users (smart phone, minimal computer), budget consumers (smart phone, moderate computer), technologically invested consumers (smart phone, heavy computer use), and IT professionals. The three variants of Windows they currently have are a step in the right direction (mobile/touch, home, and power/professional), though people are smart enough to use different UIs on different devices. If they could wrap up about a dozen changes, and market these changes in a way that uninformed users could understand, I'd be behind 8.1. As it stands, this article wasted time by repeating information I already have in a completely non-compelling manner.

Suck it up?? Yeah that's the right attitude for unhappy customers, lol.
When a product is REALLY better, people quickly embrace it.
When it's not, the reverse, period, as long as there are alternatives.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
I still have my copy of windows still in it's wrapper. One day I may get around to installing it.

Promise me, Please, make a video of your first boot to WIN8. Or, Promise me to make a video of the bonfire you chuck it into! :D

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
Why would some "common end-user" sitting on their HP that they bought from some retailer, who is satisfied with their current O/S want to even bother to change?

Hype, like this story? :eek:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
...I have no idea if it's better than the Kinect as I don't have an Xbox.

But you can use it on Windows also if I am not mistaking...:confused:

System Name ASAS
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Patriot 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 T1 @ 1.5V
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Gaming
Storage Samsung 830 256GB + Samsung Spinpoint T133 HD400LJ 400GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster EX1920
Case Bitfenix Ghost
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889
Power Supply Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
He likes Win 8! Boo this man!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
1rule- put back the real start menu that's been used since xp, put back the Aero interfce.