• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU spiking is killing me..

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
You know that crap aka cpu spikes haunted me a few different times even after a clean install. I never did find out what was going on but what I did was install windows with the bios all stock default settings. Installed, i would select dont run windows updates..then one by one I'd install the mobo drivers with a restart after each driver install if it called for it or not. Ever sence I've done it that way I never had any issues with it again. Forgot to add I'd also install most of my software then enable windows updates.

Btw are you running any side widgets?

System Name ?
Processor AMD 6300-FX Six-Core Processor 3.5GHz
Motherboard ASROCK 960GM/U3S3 FX
Memory 8GB Crucial DDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 FTW
Storage 80GB Windows drive, 500GB 2nd
Case GS-6500R
Power Supply 550W Thermaltake
You know that crap aka cpu spikes haunted me a few different times even after a clean install. I never did find out what was going on but what I did was install windows with the bios all stock default settings. Installed, i would select dont run windows updates..then one by one I'd install the mobo drivers with a restart after each driver install if it called for it or not. Ever sence I've done it that way I never had any issues with it again. Forgot to add I'd also install most of my software then enable windows updates.

Btw are you running any side widgets?

Negative, sir.

System Name ?
Case GS-6500R
Why didn't you just perform a system restore? It's going to be software related.

I considered that, but for some reason when I checked my restore points - I had none except for the current day that I checked. So I had no valid points to restore to. :/

System Name Black Dragon Chief
Processor AMD Phenom II 955 (gift from a friend)
Motherboard Asus M4A79 Deluxe (gift from a friendi)
Cooling Stock Phenom II Cooler
Memory Kingston 2x2gb
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6670 1gb DDR3
Storage Segate baracuda 500gb
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster SA100
Case Chieftec BA-02B-B-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200
Power Supply Custom made by MC Steel
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
Malware

If I read this thread corectly u have a malware problem. Try to clean it using combofix (google it) if that doesn't work i sugest to do a fresh install from zero. Delete everything,whole HDD.

Had a problem like yours a while back in a PC game saloon, the virus (malware) was spreading through the network so nothing helped untill i shuted down the local network and reinstalled all of the PC-s in that saloon.

I hope I helped you.

Good luck and happy hunting. :eek:

System Name ?
Case GS-6500R
If I read this thread corectly u have a malware problem. Try to clean it using combofix (google it) if that doesn't work i sugest to do a fresh install from zero. Delete everything,whole HDD.

Had a problem like yours a while back in a PC game saloon, the virus (malware) was spreading through the network so nothing helped untill i shuted down the local network and reinstalled all of the PC-s in that saloon.

I hope I helped you.

Hmm.. interesting. I will dig deeper into this!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
You mention your A/V software... you may want to un-install it then test.
Then re-install it.
I have had in the past a couple of them do some odd things, such as what you are experiencing.

^Did you even try this?^

I even reinstalled Windows 7 just now, still no luck. After reinstalling Windows 7 - I think it's a hardware issue...

I hope I helped you.

Possible; however, the OP has re-installed the OS... unless, it is coming from the existing MBR(or hidden area) or the install media (like some form of Bootkit or Boot Sector Virus).

In that case he/she can run Kaspersky's TDSSkiller and it should fix the bootkit or the OP can just fix the problem by running Windows recovery and fix the mbr.

And, Combofix is a weapon of last resort, if someone does not know what they are doing with it, they can disable their OS... and that will lead to a new set of problems.

@OP> Are you using a legitimate copy of Windows? Don't get upset by the question; because, if not... that may possibly be a cause.

Edit:
You might want to try troubleshooting using MSCONFIG tool.

Here are some nice tutorials:

Using Microsoft System Configuration (Windows 7)

Using Msconfig to troubleshoot conflicts in Windows Vista and Windows 7

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Last edited:
System Name ?
Case GS-6500R
^Did you even try this?^

Possible; however, the OP has re-installed the OS... unless, it is coming from the existing MBR(or hidden area) or the install media (like some form of Bootkit or Boot Sector Virus).

In that case he/she can run Kaspersky's TDSSkiller and it should fix the bootkit or the OP can just fix the problem by running Windows recovery and fix the mbr.

And, Combofix is a weapon of last resort, if someone does not know what they are doing with it, they can disable their OS... and that will lead to a new set of problems.

@OP> Are you using a legitimate copy of Windows? Don't get upset by the question; because, if not... that may possibly be a cause.

Edit:
You might want to try troubleshooting using MSCONFIG tool.

Here are some nice tutorials:

Using Microsoft System Configuration (Windows 7)

Using Msconfig to troubleshoot conflicts in Windows Vista and Windows 7

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Yes I am using a legitimate copy of Windows 7. And since you mentioned that Combofix can actually f- things up even more - I'm not going to risk anything since I had no idea how to use it, lol. Also, yes I uninstalled my AV and tested - no differences.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you try the troubleshooting with MSConfig tool and that does not help.

You can try something along the lines of Process Explorer or Process Hacker and see what is using the CPU cycles.
They may give you an idea of what is going on.

System Name ?
Case GS-6500R
If you try the troubleshooting with MSConfig tool and that does not help.

You can try something along the lines of Process Explorer or Process Hacker and see what is using the CPU cycles.
They may give you an idea of what is going on.

No luck with the msconfig idea, and I've tried Process Explorer already to try and what's spiking. It's nothing specific, just anything that's being ran on my computer.