• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Goes RTM

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
The stupid start button is easily fixed, it's called Classicshell. Works perfect. What I want is free disk space ect in the status bar in windows explorer, I have a dozen partitions, I need to see space free at all times. Why gone in Win8?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
The stupid start button is easily fixed, it's called Classicshell. Works perfect. What I want is free disk space ect in the status bar in windows explorer, I have a dozen partitions, I need to see space free at all times. Why gone in Win8?

I know with Start 8 it's there I believe, i.e. 238Gb free of 298. It shows that for each partition and drive. Is that what you're talking about?

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
You can't grasp the idea that people are different internally and externally? Really, this is a good thing.

Clearly people are different, that is not at all what I am getting at. I'm just leaning more towards the idea that it is the individual that is being stubborn rather than the OS that is being difficult. So that which differentiates me from being able to use Windows 8 with that of someone who can't is merely because I'm willing to accept the changes. Which they are easy to accept due to the fact they bring about no reduced productivity whatsoever in my OS experience, which I feel should be more or less the same across every user of Windows 8 ('m no better at scrolling/moving a pointer than the next person...).

Its like having two exact cars, except the driver side is on the left for one and on the right for the other. Any human being who can drive a car will be able to use either car with no ill effect towards driving it (ignoring the standards of countries here). Now one can say they don't like cars with the driver seat on the left and that's fine, but to go out and say that cars with left side driver seats are worse for reasons a, b and c than cars with right side driver seats is absurd.

That is where I step in. To try and show that its the matter of preference/stubbornness that is deterring them, not an actual hindrance in the OS itself. So people can complain all they want about what they don't like. I don't like marshmallows in my coco but I don't think plain coco is better or worse than the counterpart. Far to many people think Windows 8 is worse for being different when in fact it is just fine the way it is. Regardless Windows 8.1 has been developed to accommodate for the marshmallow lovers, perhaps they will reach a larger audience because of it.

Last edited:
System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Clearly people are different, that is not at all what I am getting at. I'm just leaning more towards the idea that it is the individual that is being stubborn rather than the OS that is being difficult. So that which differentiates me from being able to use Windows 8 with that of someone who can't is merely because I'm willing to accept the changes. Which they are easy to accept due to the fact they bring about no reduced productivity whatsoever in my OS experience, which I feel should be more or less the same across every user of Windows 8 ('m no better at scrolling/moving a pointer than the next person...).

Its like having two exact cars, except the driver side is on the left for one and on the right for the other. Any human being who can drive a car will be able to use either car with no ill effect towards driving it (ignoring the standards of countries here). Now one can say they don't like cars with the driver seat on the left and that's fine, but to go out and say that cars with left side driver seats are worse for reasons a, b and c than cars with right side driver seats is absurd.

That is where I step in. To try and show that its the matter of preference/stubbornness that is deterring them, not an actual hindrance in the OS itself. So people can complain all they want about what they don't like. I don't like marshmallows in my coco but I don't think plain coco is better or worse than the counterpart. Far to many people think Windows 8 is worse for being different when in fact it is just fine the way it is. Regardless Windows 8.1 has been developed to accommodate for the marshmallow lovers, perhaps they will reach a larger audience because of it.

The market disagrees with you. In other words, the mob says Windows 8 is inferior to Windows 7. Mob rules. There is no disputing this.

Windows 8 is Microsoft's attempt at a walled in DRM garden that lacks fluid multitasking ala iOS. They just didn't have the time to remove the desktop or felt it would help with the transition by keeping it (in the background) for Microsoft's total control over your PC. Software as a service my friends, that is what most of these large software companies want to happen and the ball has started rolling.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I was a Vista guy and was so stubborn to go for W7 that once I adapted I love it and cant see leaving it for 8.1...

Am I missing out not getting W8.1?

Drivers and such going to be a big deal?

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X
The market disagrees with you. In other words, the mob says Windows 8 is inferior to Windows 7. Mob rules. There is no disputing this.

Windows 8 is Microsoft's attempt at a walled in DRM garden that lacks fluid multitasking ala iOS. They just didn't have the time to remove the desktop or felt it would help with the transition by keeping it (in the background) for Microsoft's total control over your PC. Software as a service my friends, that is what most of these large software companies want to happen and the ball has started rolling.

I don't care about Microsoft's market and mobs can rule all the want. I hate BS though.

As for everything else you say, I have no idea what you mean. You worked for Microsoft and knew what they were thinking and how they were allocating their time?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
I was a Vista guy and was so stubborn to go for W7 that once I adapted I love it and cant see leaving it for 8.1...

Am I missing out not getting W8.1?

Drivers and such going to be a big deal?

I'm a W7 guy, but I have a W8 PC also. Although I changed the interface to suit me, by using Start8 and ModernMix, what's under the hood is pretty good. file transfer times are very good, bootup time is quicker, and Explorer is easier to use. Now to answer your question, I have never seen a version of Windows need so few outside drivers! It is fantastic in the respect that virtually any old equipment I've thrown at it, it has easily said "what else have you got?" and everything has worked flawlessly. I've installed sound and Nvidia drivers, that's about it.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I'm a W7 guy, but I have a W8 PC also. Although I changed the interface to suit me, by using Start8 and ModernMix, what's under the hood is pretty good. file transfer times are very good, bootup time is quicker, and Explorer is easier to use. Now to answer your question, I have never seen a version of Windows need so few outside drivers! It is fantastic in the respect that virtually any old equipment I've thrown at it, it has easily said "what else have you got?" and everything has worked flawlessly. I've installed sound and Nvidia drivers, that's about it.
Well thanks man, that's a sway to encourage me into grabbing it... But Steam and games... no issues there?

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Well thanks man, that's a sway to encourage me into grabbing it... But Steam and games... no issues there?

I personally use steam and have played plenty of games on Win 8 with not a single issue.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter

Nope, not one! In fact, I've actually had more luck getting old games to play, like you might find on GOG.com, than I have had on my W7 gaming rig. And Steam works perfectly, including the more modern games. And you're welcome! We're all here to help each other, right?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
If you wanna see your partition info all the time you can download Rainmeter and get one of the many themes for it. I recommend Gnometer.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
There is, it's called the Start Screen, where you can put everything you need to access without having to traverse folder after folder in the Start Menu. Cleaner and more efficient. Or Charms Bar -> Search -> type what you're looking for and it instantly appears.

If another person says the start screen is the same as a start button, I might just loose my mind a little. bit.. What a blatant lie..

Regardless, it's nice to see they decided to do what they should of done in the first place..
Listen to the people buying your products and not try to force shit down their throats..

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Sigh. Your analogy is broken. Take a manual car. One left hand drive, one right, both otherwise identical. I will be better in the left hand drive car absolutely forever, because I am right handed, and that is the gear lever hand in a LHD car. In a right hand drive car, I will be able to adapt to make it usable and acceptable, but I will never be as accurate or as fast at shifting, because my left hand is not as accurate or as fast, and it never will be.

Windows 8 is like a RHD car for me. I can use it acceptably, but it still takes longer for me to complete tasks, despite me knowing how to actually use the OS pretty well, because it does not fit my limitations. It's not BS, it's just plain fact. Having to cover a larger area with my mouse takes longer than having to cover a smaller area. Who knew it takes longer to move a longer distance? :rolleyes: It's not rocket science.

And don't bring up the search box, because that takes me even longer, because then I have to take my eyes off the monitor to look at my keyboard to type.

For people like me (and trust me, there are a lot of us), Start Screen is an inferior method. I tried rearranging it every way possible, made all of my tiles as small as possible, everything, and it just plain took longer to click the things I was after.

Sure, it wasn't very much longer in the grand scheme of things, but it was long enough to be noticeable and irritating. My OS should not irritate me, especially after months of using it.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
I have said it before, and will now say it again. Everytime I see that MetroUI, I feel like I am being punished by a group of idiots for being slightly smarter than a toasted waffle.

Why does one feel that way?

Because I have a right to feel the way I do, anytime I want.

For example, Search for a program, i.e. Alarm Clock. Type it in. No results. Move cursor over to the right and open Apps. Oh, there it is! Then click it, to open. Poof! Desktop appears with program open.

Does anybody else see the lost time in this? That is just one search of programs I need to do, multiple times a day. Why? Because spending time moving Tiles around is time I would rather spend sticking forks in my eyes. Also, because the Search feature is F-ed up with all these steps.

Now, from what I have read, from the talking heads at MoneySoft, the Search feature is to become more useful, by including all the pertinent results.

We'll see if their talk matches the result.

If I had had the money, two months earlier, I could have had this same Ultrabook shipped with Win7. I would, then, not be having this silly debate with any of you or, anyone else.

Overall, it is not crap. Just sometimes covered in it. Particularly, when looking at Metro. Does anyone actually NEED this? My answer, no. Even if I had a touch screen, I don't think I would need it.

So, despite using it, getting used to it, and even mellowing a bit to it. I am still not entirely happy with being forced to use multiple steps for a simple search.

My two cents.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
I have said it before, and will now say it again. Everytime I see that MetroUI, I feel like I am being punished by a group of idiots for being slightly smarter than a toasted waffle.

Why does one feel that way?

Because I have a right to feel the way I do, anytime I want.

For example, Search for a program, i.e. Alarm Clock. Type it in. No results. Move cursor over to the right and open Apps. Oh, there it is! Then click it, to open. Poof! Desktop appears with program open.

Does anybody else see the lost time in this? That is just one search of programs I need to do, multiple times a day. Why? Because spending time moving Tiles around is time I would rather spend sticking forks in my eyes. Also, because the Search feature is F-ed up with all these steps.

Now, from what I have read, from the talking heads at MoneySoft, the Search feature is to become more useful, by including all the pertinent results.

We'll see if their talk matches the result.

If I had had the money, two months earlier, I could have had this same Ultrabook shipped with Win7. I would, then, not be having this silly debate with any of you or, anyone else.

Overall, it is not crap. Just sometimes covered in it. Particularly, when looking at Metro. Does anyone actually NEED this? My answer, no. Even if I had a touch screen, I don't think I would need it.

So, despite using it, getting used to it, and even mellowing a bit to it. I am still not entirely happy with being forced to use multiple steps for a simple search.

My two cents.

Either the Win 8 machine you were using had search indexing disabled or the name of the application was not called "Alarm Clock".

Just my 2¢.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Either the Win 8 machine you were using had search indexing disabled or the name of the application was not called "Alarm Clock".

Just my 2¢.

Whateva, you are incorrect. Go on loving your Win8 and leave me out of it. I don't love it and you cannot convince me otherwise. So, save someone else. I am not confused or stupid, I am just not happy with not NEEDING Metro and having to use it and it not being streamlined, in any real world way. 'Search indexing disabled,' really?

Did it somehow appear to you, anywhere in my post, that I was asking for help? From you, or anybody else? Another thing, do not insult my intelligence by assuming I don't know the name of the program I am searching for!

Unreal.:wtf:

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Never fail Windows 8 news and the H8ters come out bashing it in full swing,Of the first page of post maybe 3 were actually related to it.I wish you mods would just post this news in the Windows 8 clubhouse so us guys and gals that actually use the OS can share our thoughts on it ,instead of reading Windows 8 sucks posts.

Looking forward to 8.1 been tempted to use the preview but I can wait.

The only things I'm really looking forward to is the improved search and the ability to get rid of that ugly metro background and have it use just my desktop wallpaper.

Wonder if I can get an RTM download.

Gee, look. It appears that a certain someone may also have some concerns about the current state of the Search feature?

Maybe you don't know the name of your program or, perhaps indexing is turned off?

:shadedshu

I think I am going to move my main rig to win 8 or actually 8.1 when it is released. I have my $15 promotion copy of Win8 I have never used yet. Also will move to a ssd or sshd when I do it for the os/programs.
:D
Um, why? Is there some benefit to it that you know and aren't sharing with me?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Never fail Windows 8 news and the H8ters come out bashing it in full swing,Of the first page of post maybe 3 were actually related to it.I wish you mods would just post this news in the Windows 8 clubhouse so us guys and gals that actually use the OS can share our thoughts on it ,instead of reading Windows 8 sucks posts.

that is an excellent idea!

seriously though, I usually don't bother reading windows 8 threads after it has gone past the 1st page mark. It just gets loaded with cry baby complaints.

that is an excellent idea!

seriously though, I usually don't bother reading windows 8 threads after it has gone past the 1st page mark. It just gets loaded with cry baby complaints.

Wow. The disconnect is infectious!

Microsoft disconnects with nearly everything it touches, now they seem to have three new fans disconnecting with their own TPU buddies because they cannot/will not understand that Win8 is not the latest greatest that Microsoft wants you to believe.

Name calling, insults? Really?

Get it together guys, not everybody is gonna love WIN8. That is generally the consensus, too. Yet our collective dislike is relegated to being just a bunch of cry baby complaints?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Windows 8 with start8 has an identical feel of windows 7 just with different color borders around the windows or also if you use the windows 7 theme its the exact same unless you manage to move the mouse to the left side of the screen. Since I have made my way back over to windows 8 I have had zero issues and most of the time I forget its windows 8.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Wow. The disconnect is infectious!

Microsoft disconnects with nearly everything it touches, now they seem to have three new fans disconnecting with their own TPU buddies because they cannot/will not understand that Win8 is not the latest greatest that Microsoft wants you to believe.

Name calling, insults? Really?

Get it together guys, not everybody is gonna love WIN8. That is generally the consensus, too. Yet our collective dislike is relegated to being just a bunch of cry baby complaints?

I knew people would not like Windows 8 from the start. Even long before it made its official debut, with a few leaked screenshots. It was a given, especially in desktop environment.

Now, im not saying everyone has to love Windows 8. That would be ridiculous, I just think that now with the OS ~2 years old, the hate towards it is over done/over played. We get it, you hate Windows 8, cool, suit yourself, but you also cannot act like people shouldn't like windows 8 because the general consensus says it sucks.

Every single Windows 8 thread thus far has been filled with opinionated negative posts about Windows 8. Its close to are 2 year old OS, we are beating a dead horse here.

And so I've said my peace, bye.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11